Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:Basically, it looks like, "We aren't going to bother taking you to court or suing you, because that wouldn't be worth our time, effort, and money, but we can and will ensure that we take back your winnings and ensure that you never appear on our show of profit from said appearance ever."
I was half-joking about asking for translation, but I do believe that that is what they mean and, although it seems harsh, it certainly is the kind of 'threat' that would keep most people in compliance.

They do keep things under wraps for a reason after all. I'm interested to see how this plays out. (I am not even tempted to check out said page, and don't anybody get any ideas about posting it around these parts.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote:
davey wrote:Alex didn't say "President," he simply said "No." "
The clue "He's making us proud again," seemed to me obviously about an incumbent. What could Carter have done to make us proud? His slogan would have to be "He'll make us proud again." The Ford slogan is odd since it slights the subject's predecessor of the same party, but is anyone surprised that was done in this case?
I will have to check my recording as soon as my computer is finished doing what it's in the midst of. But I know it was not a simple "no". I would not have had any reaction to that other than knowing I lost the coin-flip.

Brian
If I contradict someone, I check before I post.
So, you obviously checked before posting that, and you came to a different conclusion to what I came to having just checked this moment?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote: So, you obviously checked before posting that, and you came to a different conclusion to what I came to having just checked this moment?

Brian
That doesn't really seem like a question. If it is, I answered it.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

davey wrote:
bpmod wrote: So, you obviously checked before posting that, and you came to a different conclusion to what I came to having just checked this moment?

Brian
That doesn't really seem like a question. If it is, I answered it.
That Billy Joel discussion must have really upset Brian. He's been a testy lately.
Last edited by Vanya on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

Bamaman wrote:I missed FJ, said guerrilla. To make things worse, my wife got it right.
I started with guerrilla as well, but I had doubts about it being right, so I thought about it to see if I could come up with anything better. Thought of "ambush" and even though it didn't sound as French as "guerrilla," thought it fit the clue better, so I went with it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Kind of attack? In the woods? Ambush, I guess. Sounds like "in the bush," which kind of makes sense, but doesn't sound French. What's French for "woods"? Bois. En bois = ambush? Plausible enough.

Instaget that I spent most of the thirty seconds convincing myself was right.

FJ response spoiler for Thursday's game:
Spoiler
Overlap between last night's and tonight's FJ: Pan Ambush
Sage on the Hudson

What's good for the goose is good for the Michigander

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

davey wrote:The clue "He's making us proud again," seemed to me obviously about an incumbent. What could Carter have done to make us proud? His slogan would have to be "He'll make us proud again." The Ford slogan is odd since it slights the subject's predecessor of the same party, but is anyone surprised that was done in this case?

Another "guerilla" here, but I knew it was Spanish. Could not come up with likely French vocabulary, or English words for attack for that matter...If "ambush" is from French, why doesn't it mean to hit somebody in the mouth...??
A: Recall the words in Ford's first speech to the nation after becoming President: "Our long national nightmare is over." Ford, at least for the moment, had come to bury Nixon, not praise him (of course, the ill-considered pardon of RMN followed).

B: It's ambush, not "am-bouche."
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

But remember that this is the same show who 2.5 years ago allowed Jeff Kirby's return engagement a decade later to the show slip through the cracks without anyone figuring it out beforehand(the guy wore the same tie), until the internet brigade pointed it out.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm the concierge. My husband used to be the concierge, but he's dead. Now I'm the concierge.

Woods led me to bois, which quickly took me to ambush. I'm glad I didn't fail at another French FJ. At least this one was gettable.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I just went back and watched the Ford clue. Alex said "No", but it sounded a little sterner than normal.

I still don't get how Kirby got back on. Do they not maintain a database of contestants with social security numbers and everything?
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Bamaman wrote:

I still don't get how Kirby got back on. Do they not maintain a database of contestants with social security numbers and everything?
I don't think anyone gets how he got back on. ONe would think they would have a computerized database.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

legendneverdies wrote:
Bamaman wrote:

I don't think anyone gets how he got back on. ONe would think they would have a computerized database.
Maybe Jeff hacked into it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I know less actual French than Pepe le Pew.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I know less actual French than Pepe le Pew.
You've sussed out French clues before based on your knowledge of Spanish - since they are both Romance languages, that's a good way to go about it. (This also requires you knowing the same level of French you do now, but still appearing smart in your ability to figure it out from something you do know, a useful talent for Jeopardy!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
thepratshow

Post by thepratshow »

I think with a little less pressure I could have come up with ambush. With 26K on the line, I could only focus on how French the word siege sounded. Oops.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I predict that this clue will make it into the "Toughest FJs" poll and that, at this point (I know it's still early) it will be my vote.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Nah ... I think it'll poll around 40.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

During one of my tryouts in the 90's, one of the other guys who scored well on the test was ejected from the tryout. It turned out he had been on the show a couple of seasons before. I'm not sure how he thought he would get by the contestant staff but I guess this Kirby character was able to do so.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

thepratshow wrote:I think with a little less pressure I could have come up with ambush. With 26K on the line, I could only focus on how French the word siege sounded. Oops.
At least you had a word on your screen, which wasn't true of your opponents. It's too bad that the way the scores were, they ended up finishing ahead of you despite this. Good game.
Vanya wrote:He's been a testy lately.
I don't think that's the correct singular.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I know less actual French than Pepe le Pew.
You've sussed out French clues before based on your knowledge of Spanish - since they are both Romance languages, that's a good way to go about it. (This also requires you knowing the same level of French you do now, but still appearing smart in your ability to figure it out from something you do know, a useful talent for Jeopardy!)
But even that isn't enough most of the time. It didn't help me with cocina->cuisine->kitchen, and I don't think I'd have gotten this even if I had come up with the Spanish word for woods/forest (bosque).