Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thepratshow

Re: Friday, June 1, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thepratshow »

seaborgium wrote:Reminds me of being in the green room when "gadabout" was deemed better than "bon vivant," and "self-proclaimed gadabout" better still.
Did they give him the idea on how to write his name, too?
sherder
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sherder »

thepratshow wrote:It's worth noting that the term "burrito architect" was something I came up with and not a term actually used to refer to Freebirds employees. I was encouraged to be creative. :)
Maybe it will catch on. :)
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

sherder wrote:
thepratshow wrote:It's worth noting that the term "burrito architect" was something I came up with and not a term actually used to refer to Freebirds employees. I was encouraged to be creative. :)
I hope not. I think George Carlin would have had something to say about this. Something along the lines of how there aren't any "housewives" or "clerks" any more, having been replaced by "domestic engineers" and "sales associates." Puh-leeze.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:
sherder wrote:
I hope not. I think George Carlin would have had something to say about this. Something along the lines of how there aren't any "housewives" or "clerks" any more, having been replaced by "domestic engineers" and "sales associates." Puh-leeze.
I respectfully disagree. I doubt we will ever see another burrito architect on the show because already having been done, it's no longer creative. I think people using creative terms for otherwise mundane/ordinary occupations will cause us to have, instead of a glut of "domestic engineers", many different "occupations" never before encountered.

I say, "Bring it on!"

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
BobF

Post by BobF »

econgator wrote:
bpmod wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:After nearly seven years I still find it handy to have my contract near my computer. This is the key part of section 7 in the 2005 paperwork:

I agree not to disclose winner, outcome or any content of any episode of the program prior to telecast. I recognize that a breach by me of this paragraph would cause Producer irreparable injury and damage that cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages in an action at law and, therefore, I hereby expressly agree that Producer shall be entitled to injunctive and other equitable relief to prevent and/or cure any breach or threatened breach of this paragraph by me.
Ok. Is there a lawyer in the house?

Translate, please.

Brian
Basically, it looks like, "We aren't going to bother taking you to court or suing you, because that wouldn't be worth our time, effort, and money, but we can and will ensure that we take back your winnings and ensure that you never appear on our show of profit from said appearance ever."
I'm reading that differently (but I'm not an attorney, nor do I play one on TV). "That cannot be reasonably or adequately compensated by damages" means they would want more than a lawsuit might net them. I'm thinking they reserve the right to sue.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Zee2
Contributor

Post by Zee2 »

Going back to AMBUSH, I said AMBUSCADE, but no one has mentioned it here. It is the original term, I think, in English, and the derivation from "bois" in its older form is clear. They would have had to accept it because it means "ambush" and has the same derivation, which Webster's III explains at length.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I feel better :D

I did, however, get a Bird tonight since I was passing by....
davey

Post by davey »

Zee2 wrote:Going back to AMBUSH, I said AMBUSCADE, but no one has mentioned it here. It is the original term, I think, in English, and the derivation from "bois" in its older form is clear. They would have had to accept it because it means "ambush" and has the same derivation, which Webster's III explains at length.
variation

Yes, and then there's the Shakespearean version "ambuscado" (French-Italian?). If I'd only thought of it, and connected it to another favorite Shakespeare word, "bosky"...I might have had a chance on this
FJ...
Last edited by davey on Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

lisa0012 wrote:I did, however, get a Bird tonight since I was passing by....
Maybe if you drove more carefully, that wouldn't happen.