Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by thenextofken »

Is this the first time the category in FJ contained the correct response?
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

alietr wrote:Someone want to tell me why Liberia was not correct? It gained independence in 1847, according to Wikipedia (although from whom, isn't clear).
The clue specified that it gained independence from a European nation.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:Someone want to tell me why Liberia was not correct? It gained independence in 1847, according to Wikipedia (although from whom, isn't clear).
I thought "we" set that up for former slaves? So they either gained their independence from nobody, or from us, and Iam pretty sure we're not European. ;)
Last edited by Paucle on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

I don't always True Daily Double, but when I do, I do it when I'm a hair off the lead in a category for which I've yet to see a clue.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Boy, talk about negbait grumble, grumble, grumble.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

StevenH wrote:
Paucle wrote:
I thought "we" set that up for former slaves? So they either gained their independence from nobody, or from us, and Iam pretty sure we're not European. ;)
Plus, the clue said that it gained its independence after Egypt, so that should have eliminated Liberia and Ethiopia.
I don't believe that the wording of the clue would necessarily mean that Egypt came first. If that was their intention, they should have phrased it differently.
jeff6286 wrote:I can't even remember the last time we had a player miss out on FJ, as I've been posting the scores nearly every day since sometime last summer, and I don't seem to recall every having to enter a negative number before.
As far as I can tell, they last player to miss out on FJ was Isaac Patterson on 12/22 of last year, in Jason Keller's 5th game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3789 It seems that the reason I don't remember posting a negative score in the daily thread is because I didn't post anything in that day's thread. Holiday season, I guess I must have been busy that night and caught up on the DVR later.

Did anyone else find the top 3 clues in the Terrier category ridiculously easy? (Blank) Russell Terrier? What was the dog's name in The Wizard of Oz? This terrier is named after a "sly" animal? I can't believe that last one was a triple stumper, especially with Terry sitting on $0 at the time and less than a minute to go.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I must be misunderstanding the FJ, because I had always heard that Ghana was the first African nation to gain its independence from colonial powers. And didn't we just have a clue on kachina?

[edit] As backup for my claim, Wikipedia says that Ghana is the first sub-saharan nation to gain independence from a European colonial power. And as for South Africa, it did not gain independence in 1910, it was made into a dominion.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:A gutsy move, but I was pretty sure he'd miss it, since I knew Claudia was going to win.

Funny they had a clue about Toto, which sang the song Africa, which was the subject of FJ. The song also has a line about Mars. The astroid Eros crossed the orbit of Mars.

Thought of South Africa, went with Ethiopia.

No, it doesn't. The exact lyric (per Toto's official website) is "There's nothing that 100 men or more (not "on Mars") could ever do!"
Another one for the misheard lyrics page!!!!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote:I must be misunderstanding the FJ, because I had always heard that Ghana was the first African nation to gain its independence from colonial powers. And didn't we just have a clue on kachina?

[edit] As backup for my claim, Wikipedia says that Ghana is the first sub-saharan nation to gain independence from a European colonial power. And as for South Africa, it did not gain independence in 1910, it was made into a dominion.
Wikipedia mentions that in 1957, Ghana become the first sub-Saharan African nation to achieve independence from European Colonialism. Perhaps this is a commonly used statement, but it appears to be pretty blatantly false given that South Africa gained independence in 1931, and you can't get much more sub-Saharan than South Africa. Looking at the citations for that line on Wiki, I found this map: Image

It lists 1994 for South Africa and 1952 for Egypt, so I guess those dates are referring to the establishment of whatever the current government of each country, which seems to obviously differ from the date of independence from colonization in at least these two cases.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

billy pilgrim wrote:
The clue specified that it gained independence from a European nation.
My first thought, misreading it, was also Liberia, and then I noticed "from a European power" and I figured Liberia was either from the USA or not from a specific country. With little time left, SA was all I had, but I might have switched to Ghana given more time.

As an aside, I was kind of glad it wasn't Ghana due to a bit of a Ghana curse. A high-level question about Ghana knocked me off the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire-Play It!" once, and more importantly, Ghana knocked the US soccer team out of the World Cup 2x running.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one

The first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one

Version two would have had me guessing, I have no idea, but very unlikely the right one. I did a north/south opposite and got very lucky.

I had no idea on Claudia's Facebook spoiler other than I guessed it was something about one and done. She won a second game and plays tomorrow? Good for her and I didn't see it coming. She made the hot start in the Bible category hold up.

Terry got a little too happy after his 2400 DD double up and pressed his luck big time. If he had processed the clue correctly then I can't imagine he couldn't get quartz or topaz. 26000 entering FJ (27200 less his minus 1200) would have had the lock.

Neil Diamond was one I got with about five question marks joining my response. I was ready to go for Usher but I let myself get scared off by the 2001 thinking it was too early.

It was early in the J! round when someone jumped down to the 1000 clue that I think I detected an edit. The leap probably caught the board operator off guard.
davey

Post by davey »

An irritating misconception was given credence tonight in the ENTITLEMENTS category: "A recent ritual in Congress is a grudging extension of these benefits past the federal 99-week limit."
Unemployment benefits have never been extended beyond 99 weeks. When Congress has passed "extensions," what they've done is allowed more people to get as much as 99 weeks of unemployment by extending the eligibility period. There are many in this country who have been unemployed for more than 99 weeks, and they've lost those benefits..
South Africa seemed the most prudent guess for FJ. I'll take it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:An irritating misconception was given credence tonight in the ENTITLEMENTS category: "A recent ritual in Congress is a grudging extension of these benefits past the federal 99-week limit."
Unemployment benefits have never been extended beyond 99 weeks. When Congress has passed "extensions," what they've done is allowed more people to get as much as 99 weeks of unemployment by extending the eligibility period.
True. Congress has introduced a few bills trying to get an extension past 99 weeks, but none have passed so far. As it is now, Regular (26 weeks) + Emergency (53 weeks) + Extended (20 weeks) caps at 99 weeks.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Le Master wrote:I don't always True Daily Double, but when I do, I do it when I'm a hair off the lead in a category for which I've yet to see a clue.
Actually, if memory serves, he *does* always TDD (or at least always max his DD bet, since he was below the maximum bet for his first one).

As I've said before (not really), there are two types of Jeopardy! players, Roger Craig, and those who think they are Roger Craig. :)
jeff6286 wrote:
StevenH wrote:Plus, the clue said that it gained its independence after Egypt, so that should have eliminated Liberia and Ethiopia.
I don't believe that the wording of the clue would necessarily mean that Egypt came first. If that was their intention, they should have phrased it differently.
No, as was pointed out, South Africa (1910*) actually predated Egypt (1922) by over a decade, so it wasn't worded that way. Also, as pointed out, "independence date" for former British dominions like S. Africa, Australia, and Canada, are a bit trickier to nail down. ("What date did country X achieve their independence" is almost as tricky a question to answer as "How many countries are there in the world?" There's no real answer to the second, and for a lot more nations than you think, no real answer to the first either. (At least most nations with a concievable date that you can give before 1955 it's very murky). Canada's "independence date" is generally recognized as July 1, 1867, but it was a very gradual process, the final loosening of the apron strings from Mother Britain didn't finally happen (not counting the fact that we still share a monarchy) until April 17, 1982. There's very few people outside the extremely pedantic, though, that would claim that Canada wasn't an independent country until then, though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Jeff, to answer your question about where Terry went during FJ:

This was the week of shows I got to watch being taped, on the Tuesday of the two taping days I was there. Somehow my name didn't get drawn the first day, (as I have mentioned, my airdate is next Tuesday, the 12th) so I got to sit through 5 shows, which was really fun! You'll get no spoilers from me, though. (I think Claudia has that covered already.) (She was really nice, though.)

There are three chairs just offstage between the stage and the contestant section of the audience. They are right in front of Maggie and Robert's "desk" facing the game board, and you sit there during the rehearsal when you are next up. I THINK that Terry went there, although I can't remember for certain. (I was extremely nervous at this point, thinking I could be called for the next game.) They would've had to have someone come un-mike him while the other two were working out their wagers, and it all happens so fast I don't think there would be time to go to the green room. Plus, one of the contestant coordinators has to go with you. I will ask my brother, who was at the studio with me. Also, Terry had to come back after and redo his anecdote, the part where he signs, because the first time he did it he mentioned a month or something, which messes with the retro-future continuum.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Le Master wrote:I don't always True Daily Double, but when I do, I do it when I'm a hair off the lead in a category for which I've yet to see a clue.
I really don't see any sense in pointing out that he had yet to see a clue in the category. The category was Science Grab Bag. If he felt like science was generally a strong category, I don't see how that would have changed whether he had seen the first 4 clues in the category or not. I can understand that for some categories it might be prudent to have a sense of what the clues are like before making a huge DD bet, but I don't see this as being one of them.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I guess the thinking on FJ was if it became a country- as opposed to a colony- it was independent even though it joined the Commonwealth. Seems kinda murky to me.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

jeff6286 wrote:
I really don't see any sense in pointing out that he had yet to see a clue in the category. The category was Science Grab Bag. If he felt like science was generally a strong category, I don't see how that would have changed whether he had seen the first 4 clues in the category or not. I can understand that for some categories it might be prudent to have a sense of what the clues are like before making a huge DD bet, but I don't see this as being one of them.
Agreed. And it looked to me like he knew what the Mohs scale was, but, sadly, was searching his mind for a unit beginning with Z. That's a tough one to miss. I couldn't come up with quartz, but said topaz just for something to say even though i really thought it was wrong.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

econgator wrote:Neil Diamond in the top row seemed out of place. His album titles are not all that well-known.
I knew who it was (but couldn't pull up the name) because "Touching you, touching me" is a lyric from "Sweet Caroline."
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
econgator wrote:Neil Diamond in the top row seemed out of place. His album titles are not all that well-known.
I knew who it was (but couldn't pull up the name) because "Touching you, touching me" is a lyric from "Sweet Caroline."
Nit: the lyric is "Touching me, touching you", the album has the order reversed - but, yeah, this was meant as the TOM.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012