Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Well, I still think that Ghana is a correct FJ answer due to the poor wording, and had anyone been negged for answering Ghana, that person should be brought back. Dominion =/= independence.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

DBear wrote:Well, I still think that Ghana is a correct FJ answer due to the poor wording, and had anyone been negged for answering Ghana, that person should be brought back. Dominion =/= independence.
But Ghana's independence date is 1957, while South Africa's is 1931, which differs from 1910, when it gained dominion status. Unless I'm missing something, I still don't see how Ghana can be considered correct.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I liked South Africa for "very different" because of the shiny new upside-down pyramids they built for space aliens and the way they wrap their dead around rolls of masking tape.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Sage on the Hudson

When I couldn't come up with the correct response, I knew I was a Ghana

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Bamaman wrote:On her Facebook page, she said.......
Spoiler
That she would appear in four games, so she won three games.
That seems perilously close to a violation of the show's embargo on revealing the content or outcomes of the games a contestant appears in.

thenextofken wrote:Is this the first time the category in FJ contained the correct response?
Well, the clue was about two countries in Africa. With about fifty to choose from, spotting the contestants the name of the continent is hardly any advantage. At best, only half the correct response is contained in the category.

Le Master wrote:I don't always True Daily Double, but when I do, I do it when I'm a hair off the lead in a category for which I've yet to see a clue.

dhkendall wrote:Actually, if memory serves, he *does* always TDD (or at least always max his DD bet, since he was below the maximum bet for his first one).
That's a dos Equis of a different color...

MarkBarrett wrote:Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one

The first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one

Version two would have had me guessing, I have no idea, but very unlikely the right one. I did a north/south opposite and got very lucky.
The clue's wording more than suggested that the other country wasn't an Arab or Muslim nation, which eliminated all of North Africa. It also pointed the contestants in the direction of a nation utterly antipodean to Egypt, which would lead many to South Africa.
ronk
Contributor

Post by ronk »

dhkendall wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
econgator wrote:Neil Diamond in the top row seemed out of place. His album titles are not all that well-known.
I knew who it was (but couldn't pull up the name) because "Touching you, touching me" is a lyric from "Sweet Caroline."
Nit: the lyric is "Touching me, touching you", the album has the order reversed - but, yeah, this was meant as the TOM.
Yes, but "Hot August Night" told you it was Neil Diamond, and is a much more famous album than that other one.
miggydub
Contributor

Post by miggydub »

Aaaargggh! ENDING IN ZEE, Terry! ENDING!!

The most humiliating part of not making FJ is when Alex explains to everyone that you suck and must leave immediately. :)

I remember not so long ago, during that moment, the camera used to do an absurdly tight zoom, filling the screen with the embarassed contestant's head so the casual observer could take note of any flinch or wince, or count nose hairs should they desire to do so...

Glad they don't do that any more. Seemed unusually cruel...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

miggydub wrote:Aaaargggh! ENDING IN ZEE, Terry! ENDING!!
Yeah, ouch. :(
I did the same thing, at first. Mentally I ripped through, "the guys can flirt and funny queer things can do... there's no Z there, let alone twice... OH ! Ends! Ummm... topaz!" Would I have gotten it all processed before the extended buzzer? Who knows.

Speaking of "Terry," anyone remember the wording of the Toto question? I blurted out Terry, was that acceptable as per phrasing?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

miggydub wrote:Aaaargggh! ENDING IN ZEE, Terry! ENDING!!

The most humiliating part of not making FJ is when Alex explains to everyone that you suck and must leave immediately. :)

I remember not so long ago, during that moment, the camera used to do an absurdly tight zoom, filling the screen with the embarassed contestant's head so the casual observer could take note of any flinch or wince, or count nose hairs should they desire to do so...

Glad they don't do that any more. Seemed unusually cruel...
At least they didn't play the Price is Right's "loser" music overtop of the shot ...
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The used to not let the non-FJ player come back for the closing credits chat. I always wondered what happened to them. Did they fall through some trap door after Alex told them they weren't going to get to play FJ?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote: Speaking of "Terry," anyone remember the wording of the Toto question? I blurted out Terry, was that acceptable as per phrasing?
Wait, the question asking for the dog's name from Wizard of Oz? You said Terry instead of Toto and you're asking if that is acceptable? I'm confused. Is Toto a common nickname for Terry?

Furthering the discussion of the missing player in FJ, I noticed that during the FJ music, instead of the camera panning across the 3 contestants' spots as usual, it simply cut from a shot of the left player to a shot of the right player, as obviously there was no need to pan over the empty middle spot. I wonder if the two remaining players had been side-by-side, would they still pan across the two of them, or use two different cameras for the two shots like they did tonight?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bamaman wrote: WARNING....THE ABOVE SPOILER BOX GIVES INFORMATION TELLING EXACTLY HOW MANY GAMES SHE SAID SHE WON. DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER BOX IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW AND PLEASE DO NOT MENTION IT ON THIS BOARD.
Huh? You just did mention it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Where did I mention it? It is in a spoiler box so nobody sees it who does not want to. That's the whole point of spoiler boxes.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

jeff6286 wrote:Wait, the question asking for the dog's name from Wizard of Oz? You said Terry instead of Toto and you're asking if that is acceptable? I'm confused. Is Toto a common nickname for Terry?
No, Toto was played by "Terry." I couldn't remember if the clue specifically asked for the character or not. I mean if the clue asked for "She was the girl in the Wizard of Oz," what would you answer?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:
ihsh wrote: And how many games did Claudia win in total?
On her Facebook page, she said.......
Spoiler
That she would appear in four games, so she won three games.
WARNING....THE ABOVE SPOILER BOX GIVES INFORMATION TELLING EXACTLY HOW MANY GAMES SHE SAID SHE WON. DO NOT OPEN THE SPOILER BOX IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO KNOW AND PLEASE DO NOT MENTION IT ON THIS BOARD.
I'm stunned that someone would publicly reveal this. Isn't that a violation of the contract that all contestants sign, and cause for forfeiture of her winnings???????
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote:The used to not let the non-FJ player come back for the closing credits chat. I always wondered what happened to them. Did they fall through some trap door after Alex told them they weren't going to get to play FJ?
No, that was Russian Roulette. :D
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

I grew up with Neil Diamond music in the house, plus they had a cover story on him in this Sunday's Parade magazine. Easy as pie for me.
gloriaclemente wrote:..., which messes with the retro-future continuum.
I just want to say how much I like your phrase "retro-future continuum". I will try to remember this next time I'm watching Star Trek reruns...

I can't fathom how Claudia didn't get the concept of "don't tell people". The secrecy issue is addressed at every level of trying out, and then really hammered in once you get the call and get to LA. Social media are specifically addressed, as well as the story about "Ken Jennings didn't even tell his parents until well into his run, and then only when he finally brought them to a taping." Maybe she heard that story and realized that you really don't have to be that secretive, and just threw it all to the wind. She just doesn't seem like the kind of person who's either clueless enough or just doesn't care enough to do something so risky. I'm curious to see what, if anything, happens to her from Sony.
Just in case anyone's wondering how to handle the Facebook announcement, here's what I did (the first about a week or two before the airdate, the second the day before):
1) Hey everyone, mark your calendars for January 18, 2012. That's the day I will appear on Jeopardy! If you're in the DFW viewing area, watch on Channel 11 at 11am. (But double check first - Channel 11 likes to fiddle with the schedule in January sometimes...) If you're located elsewhere you'll have to check your local listings. Be sure to find the timeslot showing current shows - many stations also show repeats from a year ago.
2) Just a reminder... Tomorrow is my appearance on Jeopardy! First? Only? It's still a mystery! If you're in the DFW viewing area, it's 11am on Channel 11. If you are elsewhere, check your local listings and make sure you find the one with new episodes (sometimes they also show last year's repeats, and not necessarily back-to back with the new ones.)

It handles the situation of reminding people there could be more than one episode they want to record or be home for, without actually saying whether I won any games at all (I didn't, in case you weren't around at the time, but I wanted to maintain the mystery.) I told no one but very close family what actually happened, and even to them I revealed very few details - I really did want them to watch!
mbclev

Post by mbclev »

StevenH wrote:I can't fault Terry for the TDD.
Unfortunately, I do fault Terry for his stupid DD wager. Why would you do a stupid thing like that when you that much money and take yourself out of the game in the process???
(I call this a "Bob Verini", referring to when Verini made a similarly stupid DD wager in the Million Dollar Masters 10 years ago, and took himself out of the tournament in the process. Also, though he didn't wager it all, a man made a stupid DD wager when there was still enough money on the board to get him within half of the leader's total. The FJ that day called for the country that was ruled by the same family since its founding in 1932. The player who made the stupid wager got the FJ right; the leader didn't, so he could have won the game had he not wagered stupidly on that DD.)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I'm stunned that someone would publicly reveal this. Isn't that a violation of the contract that all contestants sign, and cause for forfeiture of her winnings???????
My favorite "reveal" came in an online newspaper article about a contestant's J! appearance which concluded '<X> can't say how well <he/she> did. <His/Her> Mom said <he/she> played one game and did <his/her> best".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

mbclev wrote:Unfortunately, I do fault Terry for his stupid DD wager. Why would you do a stupid thing like that when you that much money and take yourself out of the game in the process???
(I call this a "Bob Verini", referring to when Verini made a similarly stupid DD wager in the Million Dollar Masters 10 years ago, and took himself out of the tournament in the process. Also, though he didn't wager it all, a man made a stupid DD wager when there was still enough money on the board to get him within half of the leader's total. The FJ that day called for the country that was ruled by the same family since its founding in 1932. The player who made the stupid wager got the FJ right; the leader didn't, so he could have won the game had he not wagered stupidly on that DD.)
We don't know, but maybe Terry wouldn't have gotten South Africa, and would have lost as a result. And if he had gotten that DD right on a conservative wager before losing on FJ, he would have ended up regretting not having a lock, which betting everything would have gotten him.

Given that he got it wrong, Bob Verini wasn't going to win that tournament no matter what he wagered on that DD. I fault him more for losing $5,200 on the previous one (when he had enough of a lead over Brad to have the upper hand if FJ had happened right then). Without the sizable blow he took on that one, he might not have been motivated to attempt a glory moment on the next DD.
[edit: I should have looked at that game in j-archive more carefully before commenting. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=566 As evidenced in the Coryat scores, Bob outscored Brad by $2,400 on the regular clues. Having finished the previous game at a $5,000 deficit to Brad, he needed at least a $2,501 lead over him to have the upper hand in FJ, which was necessary to win on the triple get. With all else going the same, Bob needed a net gain of at least $101 on the DDs to win the tournament. He had to bet more than that on the first DD, and he did. Having gotten it wrong and lost $5,200, he then needed to bet at least $5,301 on the following DD, and he did. Since he got the DDs wrong, there is no set of wagers that would have prevented Brad from winning the tournament. Bob probably cost himself second place wagering as aggressively as he did, but he was playing for victory, not second.]

The other game you mentioned was Deborah Fitzgerald game 5. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2414 If he wagers $5, he has $7,995 to the leader's $16,800, still a lock for her. And she got the remaining $2,000 clue anyway. I mean, there is some strategic value to a bet of $1,400 to $1,600 (big enough to prevent a lock if he's right and she gets the $2,000, small enough that he can still break the lock by getting the $2,000 if he's wrong), but there's also strategic value to attempting to put yourself in a position to win on a double stumper in FJ. And since he got the DD wrong and the leader got the $2,000, he would have lost no matter what he wagered. Like Bob, he lost the game on that DD not by wagering big, but by getting it wrong.
Last edited by seaborgium on Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

DBear wrote:Well, I still think that Ghana is a correct FJ answer due to the poor wording, and had anyone been negged for answering Ghana, that person should be brought back. Dominion =/= independence.
OK then, let me ask you, do you consider that South Africa wasn't an independent country on March 5, 1957 (the day before Ghanian independence)? Apartheid had already been in place for almost a decade by then (officially, anyways - man's oppression of his fellow man is as old as time), and it'd only be another 4 years before it would become a republic. They'd also participated in every Olympics since 1904 by that point (the Olympics of 1960 would be their last until reinstatement in 1992).

(Edited to add:) And what of Canada? We were a Dominion too. However, by the time 1957 rolled around, the Statute of Westminster (signed 1931) had given complete independence to its dominions, including Canada and South Africa (although I know we had considered ourselves independent by that point, we took great pride in being invited to "the big boy's table" in being a signatory to the armistice that ended WWI). So, by the time Ghana was independent, South Africa's dominion status had ended, even the UK had considered it independent by that point.

So, 1910, 1931, take your pick for the date, but by the time of Ghana, South Africa had already beat it to the punch.
gloriaclemente wrote:Also, Terry had to come back after and redo his anecdote, the part where he signs, because the first time he did it he mentioned a month or something, which messes with the retro-future continuum.
I'm wondering, did he sign the month, say the month, or both? If the former, I'm impressed that someone actually checked his sign language to make sure he didn't say anything he wasn't supposed to with that. (And, if any of the other two, how do they know he didn't sign anything he wasn't supposed to?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012