Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ACW
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, June 4, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ACW »

ACW wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
ihsh wrote: And how many games did Claudia win in total?
On her Facebook page, she said.......
Is she even allowed to mention that:?: :?: :?:
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

dhkendall wrote:I'm wondering, did he sign the month, say the month, or both? If the former, I'm impressed that someone actually checked his sign language to make sure he didn't say anything he wasn't supposed to with that. (And, if any of the other two, how do they know he didn't sign anything he wasn't supposed to?)
I think he said it aloud, because I remember some of us (other contestants) realizing that he had done it, and I don't know sign. It's kind of surprising to me now how little I actually remember from those games, but it's fun to watch them.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

And how many games did Claudia win in total?
I'm stunned that someone would publicly reveal this. Isn't that a violation of the contract that all contestants sign, and cause for forfeiture of her winnings???????
Not only that, they very specifically mention Facebook in the morning contestant prep routine, while you fill out paperwork, practice your Hometown Howdy, go over your contestant stories, etc. Claudia appeared on a Friday show followed by a Monday show, so we know she heard this whole spiel twice.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

dhkendall wrote:
OK then, let me ask you, do you consider that South Africa wasn't an independent country on March 5, 1957 (the day before Ghanian independence)? Apartheid had already been in place for almost a decade by then (officially, anyways - man's oppression of his fellow man is as old as time), and it'd only be another 4 years before it would become a republic. They'd also participated in every Olympics since 1904 by that point (the Olympics of 1960 would be their last until reinstatement in 1992).
Puerto Rico participates in the Olympics. Want to consider them independent? Scotland has their own World Cup team. Want to consider them independent?

dhkendall wrote:So, 1910, 1931, take your pick for the date,
Just proves it was an ambiguous question. Nothing you say invalidates Ghana, which was given true independence.
Sage on the Hudson

Show the King the door, please

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

jeff6286 wrote:It lists 1994 for South Africa and 1952 for Egypt, so I guess those dates are referring to the establishment of whatever the current government of each country, which seems to obviously differ from the date of independence from colonization in at least these two cases.
1952 is the year of the Egyptian revolt against King Farouk and his abdication in favor of the government formed by General Mohammed Naguib (who was, in turn, fairly soon deposed by his vice president, Gamel Abdel Nasser).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

CAPS LOCK wrote:Not only that, they very specifically mention Facebook in the morning contestant prep routine, while you fill out paperwork, practice your Hometown Howdy, go over your contestant stories, etc. Claudia appeared on a Friday show followed by a Monday show, so we know she heard this whole spiel twice.
To be fair, though, she heard that spiel months before she posted.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

DBear wrote:
dhkendall wrote:So, 1910, 1931, take your pick for the date,
Just proves it was an ambiguous question. Nothing you say invalidates Ghana, which was given true independence.
Do you even consider it independent now? Looks like you're lumping it in with other countries such as France, the UK, Canada, and the USA as to an ambiguous independence date. (Yes, tbhe USA as well. It declared its independence on July 4, 1776, but, if you recall, it was a unilateral affair, not recognized by the home country. That usually doesn't fly today (see Somaliland, Azawad, or even Kosovo)) My point is South African independence date was ambiguous (either the achievement of dominionhood in 1910 (which is what the S. African government website recognizes as independence, as do other ex-dominions like Canada and Australia) or the end of dominionhood and the beginning of true independence in 1931. My point is that both of those dates are well before Ghana's independence.

But, if you're going to obstinently hold on to wrong information (and not prove how you believe S. Africa wasn't independent in 1956 (the year before Ghana's independence) (as SA was not even a Dominion by this point)), I can't help you.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

On one hand, how Terry talked really annoyed me, so I guess I can't be too worked up that he lost. HOWEVER, I loved his bet. In the abstract, I mean - he spent most of the J round around $0, and had some really goofy answers (Jesus, a moon, Peloponnese, Kokopelli) so he probably wasn't on fire as much as he thought he was. He also is hopping into the middle of a new category, and he didn't actually read the question. So, yeah, in retrospect he could played that differently.

But HOWEVER this show has been so dreadfully boring lately. If you think you are very good at something, maybe you should try and go all in. So good for him.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alietr wrote:Boy, talk about negbait grumble, grumble, grumble.
It's not negbait because, to put it another way, Liberia was never a colony, so who would it be getting independence from?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jeff6286 wrote:
Le Master wrote:I don't always True Daily Double, but when I do, I do it when I'm a hair off the lead in a category for which I've yet to see a clue.
I really don't see any sense in pointing out that he had yet to see a clue in the category. The category was Science Grab Bag. If he felt like science was generally a strong category, I don't see how that would have changed whether he had seen the first 4 clues in the category or not. I can understand that for some categories it might be prudent to have a sense of what the clues are like before making a huge DD bet, but I don't see this as being one of them.
True, but you also can get a feel for a category's difficulty if you hop into the middle. "Isomer" is probably more difficult than the $2000 one (thought not much).
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Austin Powers wrote:
alietr wrote:Boy, talk about negbait grumble, grumble, grumble.
It's not negbait because, to put it another way, Liberia was never a colony, so who would it be getting independence from?

Europe didn't really break up Africa into colonial pieces until 1884, "Berlin Conference". Proir to that, I don't think you could break away from a European power. I love history and knew the Europeons divided Africa up in the 1880's. I had to look up the date and conference name.

Liberia and Ethiopia have never been under European control.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Austin Powers wrote:On one hand, how Terry talked really annoyed me, so I guess I can't be too worked up that he lost. HOWEVER, I loved his bet. In the abstract, I mean - he spent most of the J round around $0, and had some really goofy answers (Jesus, a moon, Peloponnese, Kokopelli) so he probably wasn't on fire as much as he thought he was. He also is hopping into the middle of a new category, and he didn't actually read the question. So, yeah, in retrospect he could played that differently.

But HOWEVER this show has been so dreadfully boring lately. If you think you are very good at something, maybe you should try and go all in. So good for him.

No guts, no glory. I've often tought, if you really feel comfortable with a catagory, and you get the DD late you need to do exactely what Terry did. Put the game away, or risk losing it in FJ on a subject the my be a big weakness for you. Most people will play it too conservative. I think he made the right move, it just didn't work out.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Sherm wrote:Liberia and Ethiopia have never been under European control.
Unless you count the Italian occupation of Ethiopia in the late 30s and early 40s. (My 1939 world atlas (one of my prized possessions) shows Ethiopia, combined with Italian Somalia (no border between them) as "Italian East Africa")

Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

dhkendall wrote:
Sherm wrote:Liberia and Ethiopia have never been under European control.
Unless you count the Italian occupation of Ethiopia in the late 30s and early 40s. (My 1939 world atlas (one of my prized possessions) shows Ethiopia, combined with Italian Somalia (no border between them) as "Italian East Africa")
I agree, there is something lazy about the question. Egypt, for example, was under a sphere of influence for much of its period of "dependence." That is to say, there was a guy in charge from the Muhammad Ali dynasty up until Nasser. However, the Brits were clearly in charge, in particular during World War One and the following years where there was a Protectorate. And, in the other years they were exerting heavy control behind the scenes. Then, they relinquished that control in 1922.

If British control can fluctuate, all while there is a projection of an Egyptian government acting independently, why can't Italy control Ethiopia for a bit, too?
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

dhkendall wrote:
CAPS LOCK wrote:Not only that, they very specifically mention Facebook in the morning contestant prep routine, while you fill out paperwork, practice your Hometown Howdy, go over your contestant stories, etc. Claudia appeared on a Friday show followed by a Monday show, so we know she heard this whole spiel twice.
To be fair, though, she heard that spiel months before she posted.
It really seems like "HERE'S THE ONE WAY TO NOT GET ANY OF YOUR MONEY" would be one thing you would take away from the speech and remember, whether you win $1000 or $45,000+.

I would bet that what happened is that Claudia thought she was sending a private message instead of posting on her Facebook Wall, or that it was something a few close friends would have access to, not the entire world. Not an excuse - I'm totally flabbergasted that it happened, but Facebook does have a rich history of "Oops, I didn't mean for you to read that!" occurrences.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

I remember last year being friended by another champ and seeing an old post where he announced he was going back to LA to tape his third show! As far as I know he got his money. But his posts were at least shared only with his 200 closest friends. Was Claudia's privacy set to public?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:I remember last year being friended by another champ and seeing an old post where he announced he was going back to LA to tape his third show! As far as I know he got his money. But his posts were at least shared only with his 200 closest friends. Was Claudia's privacy set to public?
Apparently, since everyone here, including myself (who is not FB friends with Claudia, and I suspect I'm far from the only one) could read it.