World Quizzing Championships - Results are in!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Re: World Quizzing Championships - Results are in!

Post by whoisalexjacob »

Found this on the ken-jennings message board:
Following discreet investigations over the last week and a half, it is with great sadness that we have felt compelled to quarantine some scores from this year's World Quizzing Championships. We will not be listing the names of those involved and we will not be discussing our findings via social media - we do not approve of 'trial by Facebook'.

We would like to thank a number of people from the venue involved for coming forward and telling us about their concerns, and in some cases admitting that they didn't play by the rules of the WQC themselves.

We will not permit any rule-breaking at our events. The World Quizzing Championships lives or dies by everyone playing by the same rules.

For the record, we have a system that flags any unusually high scores in two or more genres and in the overall totals. Any scores that are flagged will be checked. This might take some time as we are all very busy at the time of the WQC, and immediately afterwards. Going forward, these checks will be built-in to our scoring system so that we can immediately quarantine any scores that are highlighted.

Quarantined scores can be restored if a player appeals and satisfies the Directors of the IQA that there is a strong likelihood their score is genuine. We do this by calling the person involved and giving them a quiz over the phone.

We will be instigating two further rules in future:

1. Scores from all new venues will be automatically quarantined while we check that they seem accurate.
2. If a certain percentage of scores from one venue appear unusually high, ALL scores from that venue will be quarantined, pending further investigation.

The Directors, IQA.
Shame on you Bangladesh! This bumps most people up a few spots in the rankings (at least for now?).
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Cool, I'm up to 438 now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm confused. Where does it say that it was Bangladesh? They won't be listing the names of those involved, but what, did they delete all of the Bangladesh players from the scoring list? If a player's score was "quarantined" and they wished to appeal, how would they know to do so if the names involved aren't listed?
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

JyV92 wrote: I do.
Can look it up if you're curious.
Ha ha, I am curious! (Good to see you posting again)
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
JyV92 wrote:
omgwheelhouse wrote: Anybody know which four questions Jerome Vered missed in the History section? Those four automatically qualify for hardest question.
I do.
Can look it up if you're curious.
OK. Here are the four questions I missed...

#10. Her name is written using the characters for "love" and "Child". Assuming Japanese law is changed to allow female succession, WHO -should she succeed her father, Crown Prince Naruhito- would become modern Japan's first empress?

#13. The area around Derweze is rich in natural gas. While drilling in 1971, Soviet geologists punched into a cavern filled with natural gas. Their rig fell in, leaving a hole 70 meters in diameter. It was decided to burn off the gas but, 41 years later, it's still burning. Locals have dubbed the cavern "The Door to Hell." In which PRESENT-DAY NATION did this gas exploration take place?

#17. After John Sullivan and James Corbett had reigned as heavyweight boxing champions, a title fight was arranged in San Franciswco between Tom Sharkey and Bob Fitzsimmons in 1896. The referee controversially discqualified Fitzsimmons in Round 8, leading to a lawsuit, which the judge dismissed, since it arose from an illegal prize fight. WHICH FAMOUS LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE had refereed the fight?

#25. Although he was defeated by Napoleon at Borodino, WHICH RUSSIAN FIELD MARSHAL (1645-1813) had the satisfaction of seeing Napoleon's Grande Arme'e utterly defeated by a combination of Russia's army, its people, and its weather?
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

JyV92 wrote:OK. Here are the four questions I missed...

#10. Her name is written using the characters for "love" and "Child". Assuming Japanese law is changed to allow female succession, WHO -should she succeed her father, Crown Prince Naruhito- would become modern Japan's first empress?

#13. The area around Derweze is rich in natural gas. While drilling in 1971, Soviet geologists punched into a cavern filled with natural gas. Their rig fell in, leaving a hole 70 meters in diameter. It was decided to burn off the gas but, 41 years later, it's still burning. Locals have dubbed the cavern "The Door to Hell." In which PRESENT-DAY NATION did this gas exploration take place?

#17. After John Sullivan and James Corbett had reigned as heavyweight boxing champions, a title fight was arranged in San Franciswco between Tom Sharkey and Bob Fitzsimmons in 1896. The referee controversially discqualified Fitzsimmons in Round 8, leading to a lawsuit, which the judge dismissed, since it arose from an illegal prize fight. WHICH FAMOUS LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICE had refereed the fight?

#25. Although he was defeated by Napoleon at Borodino, WHICH RUSSIAN FIELD MARSHAL (1645-1813) had the satisfaction of seeing Napoleon's Grande Arme'e utterly defeated by a combination of Russia's army, its people, and its weather?
Thanks! Well whaddaya know, I missed those, too..
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

i missed 10 and 17. guessed 13 right off of geographical speculation (i actually remembered the clue containing the word "desert" but i guess it doesn't), and knew 25 due to an interest in russian history & literature (he's a fairly major character in war and peace in addition to being a significant historical figure in his own right). that said, i didn't score anywhere near 26 in history, or, for that matter, any other category.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I have signed up for the 2013 World Quizzing Championship. I am trying my best to study everything I can.

I wonder how well I will do. I am on funtrivia and I watch Jeopardy everyday when I am home and also watch youtube clips of other quiz shows in addition to surfing the web.

I didn't join my bowl team in high school and my college does not have one.

Looking at the sample questions from the event, it looks challenging but I hope to do well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

JFanForever wrote:I have signed up for the 2013 World Quizzing Championship. I am trying my best to study everything I can.

I wonder how well I will do. I am on funtrivia and I watch Jeopardy everyday when I am home and also watch youtube clips of other quiz shows in addition to surfing the web.

Looking at the sample questions from the event, it looks challenging but I hope to do well.
Two weeks until June 1st. I'll be at the San Francisco site. The list of North American venues is here: http://www.worldquizzingchampionships.c ... an-venues/

I thought it would be better to bump this now instead of all the chatter coming in after the event.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:
JFanForever wrote:I have signed up for the 2013 World Quizzing Championship. I am trying my best to study everything I can.

Two weeks until June 1st. I'll be at the San Francisco site. The list of North American venues is here: http://www.worldquizzingchampionships.c ... an-venues/

I thought it would be better to bump this now instead of all the chatter coming in after the event.
No venue for Atlanta yet. Ugh.
fowlerism

Post by fowlerism »

I'll be at Mountain View. It does seem a bit strange that there are 33 states with no venue, yet there will be one in both San Francisco and Mountain View. I guess there are more venues coming, but still.

Then again, I can't complain.

-A
Jasoni22
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Jasoni22 »

The Dallas site is TBD with no one to contact or RSVP to, and this thing is only 2 weeks away? Doesn't strike me as very well-run.
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Nothing within 400 miles of me...looks like I'll have to sit this year out.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Jasoni22 wrote:The Dallas site is TBD with no one to contact or RSVP to, and this thing is only 2 weeks away? Doesn't strike me as very well-run.
Same with Boston. Would like to do it if they get a venue
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

If I remember correctly, last year there were sites that were not confirmed until the week leading up to the test. Don't give up hope.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

StevenH wrote:If I remember correctly, last year there were sites that were not confirmed until the week leading up to the test. Don't give up hope.
I checked the site and it looks like they've added some new contacts and venues, which is a good sign.
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ihavejeoprosy wrote:
StevenH wrote:If I remember correctly, last year there were sites that were not confirmed until the week leading up to the test. Don't give up hope.
I checked the site and it looks like they've added some new contacts and venues, which is a good sign.
A bump in case any more sites have been added: http://www.worldquizzing.com/join-in/no ... an-venues/

and look at the 2012 results: http://www.worldquizzingchampionships.c ... e/results/

Where have I have seen #138's name recently?
StevenH

Post by StevenH »

MarkBarrett wrote:
ihavejeoprosy wrote:
A bump in case any more sites have been added: http://www.worldquizzing.com/join-in/no ... an-venues/

and look at the 2012 results: http://www.worldquizzingchampionships.c ... e/results/

Where have I have seen #138's name recently?
Yay for an Atlanta venue! I hope that it will be out here in the suburbs and not downtown.

I am looking forward to this once again!
NoName84

Post by NoName84 »

Well, there is now a venue within driving distance, but I made other plans after I figured they wouldn't add new sites within a week of the quiz day.
alamble

Post by alamble »

StevenH wrote:
Yay for an Atlanta venue! I hope that it will be out here in the suburbs and not downtown.
No dice - it's at Manuel's Tavern.