World Quizzing Championships - Results are in!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

World Quizzing Championships - Results are in!

Post by gloriaclemente »

http://www.worldquizzing.com/results/

Some familiar names on the list...
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: World Quizzing Championships - Results are in!

Post by MarkBarrett »

#453 is me even though my name ended up as Marc instead of Mark. I had a chance to briefly chat with #451 and she said she faced two FFs in the ROF in 2000 and had a Crazy Horse FJ in 1994.

The top American is amazing to get that kind of score and he is a great lifeline on Facebook Millionaire.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

USA results here. (selfish motivation: the boston results don't seem to be included in the world rankings, but are included on the USA page.)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'd love to try this once, just to see if I can break 50.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

jpahk wrote:USA results here. (selfish motivation: the boston results don't seem to be included in the world rankings, but are included on the USA page.)
Nothing wrong with a little self-promotion. You should gently nudge T(US)PTB to get that omission corrected, before everyone downfield gets too used to their number.

ETA: They've been notified.
Last edited by HugoZ on Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

MarkBarrett wrote:I had a chance to briefly chat with #451 and she said she faced two FFs in the ROF in 2000 and had a Crazy Horse FJ in 1994.
OK, I'll admit I burned some brain cells this weekend. ROF? Ring Of Fire? Royal Ordnance Factory? Rossini Opera Festival?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Yes, Ring of Fire, the circle of would-be Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestants who had to get a Fastest Finger question (the FF later in Mark's post) right in the fastest time before they could even attempt to win money.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote:I'd love to try this once, just to see if I can break 50.
Here are some for you in the Sports & Games category:

9. Sometimes at the end of a successful career, the jersey number of a player is retired by his club as a show of respect. Sometimes this respect is so overwhelming that all clubs retire that jersey number. Which number was retired by all National Hockey League teams after the retirement of the Great One, Wayne Gretzky?

10. Ganon Dragmire of the Enchanted Thieves leads a race of desert brigands called the Gerudo. The character is the archenemy boss in which videogame series?

17. In a video game series, which character cleaned up Isle Delfino with the Flash Liquidator Ultra Dousing Device, or F.L.U.D.D. for short?

23. Which Baseball Hall of Famer set major league batting records playing for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves and Milwaukee Brewers from 1957 ro 1976?

This one in History was the one that worked out well for those who saw the Thursday 5/31 J! game:

4. According to a list published by Forbes magazine in March 2010, which Mexican national was then the world's richest man?

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote:I'd love to try this once, just to see if I can break 50.
Here are some for you in the Sports & Games category:

9. Sometimes at the end of a successful career, the jersey number of a player is retired by his club as a show of respect. Sometimes this respect is so overwhelming that all clubs retire that jersey number. Which number was retired by all National Hockey League teams after the retirement of the Great One, Wayne Gretzky?

10. Ganon Dragmire of the Enchanted Thieves leads a race of desert brigands called the Gerudo. The character is the archenemy boss in which videogame series?

17. In a video game series, which character cleaned up Isle Delfino with the Flash Liquidator Ultra Dousing Device, or F.L.U.D.D. for short?

23. Which Baseball Hall of Famer set major league batting records playing for the Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves and Milwaukee Brewers from 1957 ro 1976?

This one in History was the one that worked out well for those who saw the Thursday 5/31 J! game:

4. According to a list published by Forbes magazine in March 2010, which Mexican national was then the world's richest man?

An easy 5-for-5 on those. :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: 10. Ganon Dragmire of the Enchanted Thieves leads a race of desert brigands called the Gerudo. The character is the archenemy boss in which videogame series?
That has 'Wikipedia copy/paste job' just dripping off it...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

seaborgium wrote:Yes, Ring of Fire, the circle of would-be Who Wants to Be a Millionaire contestants who had to get a Fastest Finger question (the FF later in Mark's post) right in the fastest time before they could even attempt to win money.
Thanks. I picked the 3 most interesting options from an acronym site, and got stupid lucky.

Now, a Fastest Finger competition in the Royal Ordnance Factory. That would be one heck of a game show.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

My favorite question was:

20. Czech athlete Roman Sebrle dominated the decathlon in the 2000s. But in 2007, his career was jeopardized by what fluke accident?

But I have a sick sense of humor.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I responded "hit by [javelin/hammer/shot put/discus]" to that one; Jerome was marking mine and was kind enough to accept it. (It was my worst subject anyway, and since the worst score is dropped it didn't affect my total. It did lead to my being ranked two places higher, though.)
jtb34
Valued Contributor

Post by jtb34 »

The guy who graded the first half portion of my test marked me wrong for five answers I got correct. It's my fault for not checking and assuming he didn't miss anything. So I actually got 77, not 72. Still pathetic, though. How do I improve my score? Do I just have to read all the time? Jeopardy is a piece of cake compared to this.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:I responded "hit by [javelin/hammer/shot put/discus]" to that one; Jerome was marking mine and was kind enough to accept it. (It was my worst subject anyway, and since the worst score is dropped it didn't affect my total. It did lead to my being ranked two places higher, though.)
I guessed the correct item and did not have to drop Sports when I found a missed point for Andretti. The scoring person I had to nudge to give me correction? None other than Dan Melia. It was fun to sit by him to see the crazy smart stuff he knew as well the lesser stuff I can get that he missed.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Dang, you folks in big cities got to take the test with legends! I was in a bar in an ugly part of Portland with five people just as obscure as I am.

I think I scored at least ten points higher than I'm actually capable of scoring. I had some absurdly lucky guesses that turned out to be right (Raga, de Kooning, Martini, hit by javelin), a few I'd learned from this board (Cajun, noble metals, Cremona), and only a couple truly stupid answers (who gets tungsten and corundum and misses valence and pyrite?).

I have no idea how I got 4 points higher than Kevin Olmstead, but I'll take it!

Did anybody else have a screw-up on the 'bandwidth' question? The answer on the solution sheet was 'leap seconds' and I asked the coordinator to ask about it. They emailed her back quickly with the correction.

Anybody have an opinion on the hardest question overall? My vote goes to Rheingold. I suppose gettable by guessing a Wagner-ish word, but the band itself is so obscure they don't even have an entry in the English Wikipedia, which makes them pretty darn obscure.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

fowlerism wrote:Anybody have an opinion on the hardest question overall? My vote goes to Rheingold. I suppose gettable by guessing a Wagner-ish word, but the band itself is so obscure they don't even have an entry in the English Wikipedia, which makes them pretty darn obscure.
Considering that I was led to believe that *every* band, no matter how obscure, has an entry in Wikipedia, this is a shocker.

(I am consoling myself with the fact that they probably *used* to have a page until an overzealous editor got to it.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

fowlerism wrote:Did anybody else have a screw-up on the 'bandwidth' question? The answer on the solution sheet was 'leap seconds' and I asked the coordinator to ask about it. They emailed her back quickly with the correction.

Anybody have an opinion on the hardest question overall? My vote goes to Rheingold. I suppose gettable by guessing a Wagner-ish word, but the band itself is so obscure they don't even have an entry in the English Wikipedia, which makes them pretty darn obscure.
yes, we had the same screw-up on bandwith. there were only five of us in the bar (none of us really "legends"), but we just pointed out to the proctor that the answer had to be bandwidth and he took it.

there is like a 50-way tie for hardest question, but rheingold is nowhere near it. i got that one no problem—there are only four operas in the ring cycle and that's the most plausible band name. (there may have been another clue in there that enabled me to guess it pretty confidently.) how about the cameroonian pop duo, the south korean amusement parks, the city in NW china, the natural gas hole in turkmenistan, the turkish soccer player, the german director, etc. so many people/places/things i'd neeever heard of.
whoisalexjacob
2015 TOC'er

Post by whoisalexjacob »

jpahk wrote: there is like a 50-way tie for hardest question, but rheingold is nowhere near it.
Well put. As a suggestion for the hardest question... big swing and a miss.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

jpahk wrote:i got that one no problem—there are only four operas in the ring cycle and that's the most plausible band name.
Okay, fair enough, but Walküre would be a pretty cool band name. Also, there's got to be a band out there named Twilight of the Gods. Though probably a metal band and not New Wave.

My answer of Nibelung was kinda stupid, as it fails to be an opera and fails to be a good band name.