Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Tuesday, June 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

I saw Shaker Heights and shouted Ohio off the top of my lungs, noting that my Erie Railroad research and research into Shaker Heights, Ohio's history paid off somewhere.

Got final after about 15 seconds running through well known actresses rich enough to own their own studio.

I vote Fran's story the best of the year, by far.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Someone at the Sony board has brought up that on the final clue of the game, the response of "litter" may have been just as acceptable as "sedan" for the following clue: VEHICULAR NAME FOR AN ENCLOSED PORTABLE CHAIR BORNE ON POLES & CARRIED BY 2 PEOPLE.

I was wondering if gloriaclemente or anyone else here who attended this week's tapings might have noticed if there was any discussion by the judges of the possible acceptability of this response during the pre-FJ commercial break. Fran answered "what is a litter" on the final $1600 clue and was ruled incorrect, so if that response had been accepted she would have had the lead going into FJ, which may very well have made her the winner. (assuming she had a better understanding of how to wager from the lead than she did from a tie for 2nd ;))

Anyone familiar enough with the subject to say what, if anything in that clue would point specifically to a sedan and not to the more general term of litter?
Last edited by jeff6286 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Very surprised actually that Pickford was the go-to choice of both the contestants and the Board. I knew Lucy from Desilu Studios, and figured that had to be one. Couldn't think of another, so stopped. I know of Mary Pickford, but didn't think she was famous as a studio founder as well. What studio did she start?

Today I played the game "backwards" (that is, I came home from work just as the Clue Crew were giving their extra info after the J! round, so decided to watch DJ! and FJ! with my family, and then watch the J! round later on the tape. I've noticed every time I play the game "backwards", I do much better, especially in the DJ! round. I wonder why that is?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote: I know of Mary Pickford, but didn't think she was famous as a studio founder as well. What studio did she start?
Little wimpy thing, almost non-descript. It's called "United Artists." ;)
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

jeff6286 wrote:For everyone who has been to Claudia's Facebook page and is aware of the spoiler, did anyone think to send her a message alerting her that she might want to take that down, warning her that Sony could conceivably attempt to withhold payment of her winnings if she has broken the non-disclosure agreement? I guess it might be a little late now, as I meant to mention this last Friday but forgot about it. (Unless the spoiler says that she wins 8 or 10 games, in which case someone should definitely send her that message now!)
If she's smart enough to (1) get on Jeopardy! and (2) become a multi-day champ, she should be able to read and understand the plain terms of the contract (assuming the one someone posted a few days ago is still valid).
alamble

Post by alamble »

jeff6286 wrote:
Anyone familiar enough with the subject to say what, if anything in that clue would point specifically to a sedan and not to the more general term of litter?
"Vehicular". Given that a sedan is a style of automobile.
Co-founded with her husband, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Interesting to note that unlike Oprah, neither of the women referenced were solo proprietors of their studios.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

jeff6286 wrote:Someone at the Sony board has brought up that on the final clue of the game, the response of "litter" may have been just as acceptable as "sedan" for the following clue: VEHICULAR NAME FOR AN ENCLOSED PORTABLE CHAIR BORNE ON POLES & CARRIED BY 2 PEOPLE.

I was wondering if gloriaclemente or anyone else here who attended this week's tapings might have noticed if there was any discussion by the judges of the possible acceptability of this response during the pre-FJ commercial break. Fran answered "what is a litter" on the final $1600 clue and was ruled incorrect, so if that response had been accepted she would have had the lead going into FJ, which may very well have made her the winner. (assuming she had a better understanding of how to wager from the lead than she did from a tie for 2nd ;))

I assume that they intended "vehicular" to refer to motor vehicles, in which case "sedan" is the obvious response. But "vehicular" might just as well refer to a human-powered conveyance such as a litter. This was a crummy clue. If I were Fran, I would politely petition for a second chance as a contestant.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After seeing her bet no more than $2,000 on each of her three DDs, I was willing to bet that Fran wouldn't go all in on FJ despite her tie. Vindicated.

Instaget for Lucille Ball, never would have gotten Mary Pickford.

As for sedan vs. litter, I agree with the assessment that "vehicular" was meant to link the object described with another vehicle. But since the described object is itself a vehicle, it doesn't really rule out any response that fits the description. I think it's fair for Fran to be brought back.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

When I was watching this, I mentioned to DH "I really want that Ebola plush toy". Because I like stuffed animals (or other creatures). And when I was a baby I apparently had a stuffed purple hippo named Giardia. (I don't really remember it, but I've seen the photos. My parents took the same parasitology class in college during their falling-in-love phase, and there was a girl in the class everyone thought looked like a Giardia. So of course the logical thing to do is name your first child's first stuffed toy after this girl/microbe.) Anyway, I found a site that sells them (the stuffed Ebolas) and even better - I want this Yersinia pestis who carries a scythe. Bwahahaha!!
http://www.giantmicrobes.com/us/product ... death.html

ETA: Oops, forgot the link!
Last edited by debramc on Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

alamble wrote:Co-founded with her husband, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Interesting to note that unlike Oprah, neither of the women referenced were solo proprietors of their studios.
And Charlie Chaplin, and DW Griffith. Those were the artists who were united-- possible first invocation (by other studio heads) of lunatics running the asylum.

But how many men were owners running their own studios? Hal Roach is one; there's an argument to be made for Zukor in the early Paramount years; Selznick at Selznick International. Maybe others. But even though there were heads of production (Zanuck at Fox, Thalberg at MGM etc.) who were the last word on greenlighting productions (and subsequently tinkering with them), those weren't "their" studios in the sense of ownership. But Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz actually bought her old movie studio (RKO) and transformed it into Desilu.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Shaker Heights was an instaget and I know the source for knowing it: http://j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=165

Cindy in the Home Alone category eliminated the Robbie Rist chance later in the Oliver category. It was another TV show that helped me know the sedan chair. Lost in Space used one and later when I learned the name of the thing it stuck.

Fran's porta-potty story was good for a laugh and I got a bonus one in chuckling on her using the term "heads up" in telling it.

What did we not see in yachts? Monkey Business/Rice/Hart? Something America's Cup?

Ed's FJ response and Alex's reveal was a good one. I did almost the same thing with Lucille on my paper and before I could finish her name I had Pickford pop in my head. Pickford and cohorts for UA was an even better bet and I switched. If the clue had asked for both I would have had a Ball knowing I had it.

Fran missed all three DDs. All were gettable and getting 33% would have been enough to win as long as she had the guts to wager better than she did from a tie for 2nd.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

debramc wrote:When I was watching this, I mentioned to DH "I really want that Ebola plush toy".
ThinkGeek sells a full line of plush microbes, including Ebola: link
pudge94
Contributor

Post by pudge94 »

Anyone beside me go with Mary Tyler Moore for FJ based on MTM Enterprises?
alamble

Post by alamble »

pudge94 wrote:Anyone beside me go with Mary Tyler Moore for FJ based on MTM Enterprises?
MTM was strictly television; apparently they were going for film production companies.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

alamble wrote:
pudge94 wrote:Anyone beside me go with Mary Tyler Moore for FJ based on MTM Enterprises?
MTM was strictly television; apparently they were going for film production companies.
Does Oprah own a film studio? (No pun intended)
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

MTM was a production company, of which there are many; they rent space, usually from the big studios, to film/tape movies or TV. There are lots of production companies but not that many studios. Usually a studio owns physical means of production (stages, lighting, sound recording equipment) and produce their own material as well as allow other production companies to use their facilities to make shows.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Paucle wrote:
dhkendall wrote: I know of Mary Pickford, but didn't think she was famous as a studio founder as well. What studio did she start?
Well, it's non-descript these days!!
I got Pickford; when Alex said the other was TV I thought MTM. I'd probably eventually get to Lucy, but not in the time granted by the show.
Leah wrote:
alamble wrote:Co-founded with her husband, Douglas Fairbanks Jr. Interesting to note that unlike Oprah, neither of the women referenced were solo proprietors of their studios.
And Charlie Chaplin, and DW Griffith. Those were the artists who were united-- possible first invocation (by other studio heads) of lunatics running the asylum.

But how many men were owners running their own studios? Hal Roach is one; there's an argument to be made for Zukor in the early Paramount years; Selznick at Selznick International. Maybe others. But even though there were heads of production (Zanuck at Fox, Thalberg at MGM etc.) who were the last word on greenlighting productions (and subsequently tinkering with them), those weren't "their" studios in the sense of ownership. But Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz actually bought her old movie studio (RKO) and transformed it into Desilu.
Jack Warner? Samuel Goldwyn? (Or am I misreading the question...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

pinkfreud wrote:
I assume that they intended "vehicular" to refer to motor vehicles, in which case "sedan" is the obvious response. But "vehicular" might just as well refer to a human-powered conveyance such as a litter. This was a crummy clue. If I were Fran, I would politely petition for a second chance as a contestant.
I always thought a 'litter' was another term for a 'stretcher' carried by two or more people(as opposed to a modern, wheeled 'gurney')...which would not fit the category of 'chairs'.
I came up with 'sedan' instantly from 'vehicular'. It wasn't a 'crummy' clue at all, certainly not by the obtuse, geekified 'Sheldon Cooper' standards of clue-writing in some of the games from a month or so ago.
euripides
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by euripides »

debramc wrote:When I was watching this, I mentioned to DH "I really want that Ebola plush toy". Because I like stuffed animals (or other creatures). And when I was a baby I apparently had a stuffed purple hippo named Giardia. (I don't really remember it, but I've seen the photos. My parents took the same parasitology class in college during their falling-in-love phase, and there was a girl in the class everyone thought looked like a Giardia. So of course the logical thing to do is name your first child's first stuffed toy after this girl/microbe.) Anyway, I found a site that sells them (the stuffed Ebolas) and even better - I want this Yersinia pestis who carries a scythe. Bwahahaha!!
I have a good many of those in my classroom. My students love them. Somehow, they connect more with plush microbes than seeing the same things under a microscope or just in pictures. For example, strep is quarantined in a Tupperware container presently, as there's been a rash of it at school.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote: I started to send her a message, but decided against it. I thought it might look a little stalkerish and creepy. Plus, as you said, it is probably too late by now.
I don't know who actually "found" the message in the first place, but all these posts do seem kind of "stalkerish" to me, honestly. :)

I have thought that making contestants stand on "boxes" to level their heights was sort of silly (I was amused by how much taller Kareem was than his opponents), but I have actually found the height differences in the past two games to be somewhat distracting, so I guess I no longer think it's quite so silly.