Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Sage on the Hudson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Stats Entertainment!

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Bamaman wrote:Taylor died in July. He got sick at a 4th of July event.
Too many wolfed-down corn dogs will do that every time.

zakharov wrote:I'm a huge baseball nerd, and I was irrationally hoping for stuff like WHIP, VORP, WARP3, and WHOOPS. Yes, these are all real stats.
Time was when every whoops was just marked "E" by the Official Scorer.

zakharov wrote:A presidents who was as awful as puke, James PukeBuchanan

Aren't silly mnemonics wonderful?
It's a good thing he was a bachelor, because his wife surely would've taken umbrage at the above.
earendel

Re: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by earendel »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I was surprised that they BMS'd Archduke Ferdinand, then was doubly surprised that she named the wrong one.
Doesn't that pretty much explain why they did require it? I had no issue with the BMS.
I was surprised by the BMS also - and I asked myself, "How many other Archduke Ferdinands were assassinated in 1914?" Surely that date would have ruled out any other.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
earendel

Post by earendel »

I'll add my vote for "Sounds like a noble gas" as WORST. CATEGORY. EVER.

For FJ! I did as so many others did - started with Harrison and ended up with 5 presidents.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:The baseball category was up there with the easiest categories I've ever seen. I was hoping the $1000 clue would have been a little more difficult, with WHIP or something, but it stayed at the level where a casual fan would still get it.
Then I must not even be "casual fan" because I clammed on error (somehow gotten it twisted around thinking that E was a strikeout instead of K), said "designated pitcher" on $600 and was totally lost on the bottom two. (What were those last two again?)
Error, Double Play, Runs Batted In, Hit By Pitch and On Base Percentage in total. Order might not be right.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

earendel wrote:I'll add my vote for "Sounds like a noble gas" as WORST. CATEGORY. EVER.
OTOH, think of what Sean Connery could have done with it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vanya wrote:
earendel wrote:I'll add my vote for "Sounds like a noble gas" as WORST. CATEGORY. EVER.
OTOH, think of what Sean Connery could have done with it.
*PFFFFFFFFFT*

What was that Mr. Connery?

That was Queen Elizabeth farting, you idiot!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

earendel wrote:I was surprised by the BMS also - and I asked myself, "How many other Archduke Ferdinands were assassinated in 1914?" Surely that date would have ruled out any other.
The point was you had to prove you knew which Ferdinand was assassinated.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Managed to watch only the second half of this game, but it sounds as if I'm really glad I missed the (ig-)noble gases business.

I did figure out the FJ, though, so I get to start the week 3-0. Yay, me!

oh, and congrats to the real champ too...
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I just realized that the FJ clue from this game reminds me of the one from this other game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=1933

I went with 4. I couldn't remember if Fillmore took office before or after 1850, and decided it was after. I also forgot to count Van Buren. This is a classic example of a FJ clue that isn't really "hard" but will trip you up when you only have 30 seconds to think about it.
plasticene

Post by plasticene »

Paucle wrote:
earendel wrote:I was surprised by the BMS also - and I asked myself, "How many other Archduke Ferdinands were assassinated in 1914?" Surely that date would have ruled out any other.
The point was you had to prove you knew which Ferdinand was assassinated.
No, I'm pretty sure the problem was what Onairb pointed out in an earlier post: His name is Franz Ferdinand (like "Juan Carlos" or "John Paul" or "Maria Theresa"), not Ferdinand. I made the same mistake on the online test this year.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:The baseball category was up there with the easiest categories I've ever seen. I was hoping the $1000 clue would have been a little more difficult, with WHIP or something, but it stayed at the level where a casual fan would still get it.
Then I must not even be "casual fan" because I clammed on error (somehow gotten it twisted around thinking that E was a strikeout instead of K), said "designated pitcher" on $600 and was totally lost on the bottom two. (What were those last two again?)
Error, Double Play, Runs Batted In, Hit By Pitch and On Base Percentage in total. Order might not be right.
Yeah. Those last two were total NHOIs.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Re: Stats Entertainment!

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Taylor died in July. He got sick at a 4th of July event.
Too many wolfed-down corn dogs will do that every time.
Like many a presidential death, there's always some folklore involved. Supposedly he'd gotten sick from eating cherries and milk, but there always was some scuttlebutt that he'd been poisoned.

I remember back in 1991 the folks in Kentucky (where he was buried), with permission from the decendants, exumed Mr. Taylor and ran some tests. They didn't find any obvious signs of poisoning, but did find some signs of cholera.

And, given medicine at the time, there's some suggestion that his doctors, as with Mr. Garfield a generation later, probably did more harm than good in treating his gastric malady and made things worse.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote:
zakharov wrote:My third grade self, who could name all the presidents in order along with their names, is ashamed of me for blowing that FJ.

I'm a huge baseball nerd, and I was irrationally hoping for stuff like WHIP, VORP, WARP3, and WHOOPS. Yes, these are all real stats.
How about LIPS (late inning pressure situations)? Heard of that one?
My favourite is LOOGY! Or maybe TINSTAAPP. But now I'm getting into serious baseball geek territory so I'll stop before I further embarrass myself (and I have to check my Scoresheet Baseball results for this week now, anyways)

At my J! audition, the "story" that one of the prospective contestants was asked about revolved around SABRmetrics. Based on the awkwardness of that conversation, I didn't expect to see that person on the show. (I don't remember exactly what he looked like, so it's possible that he did get picked, but I don't believe he was).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

There was some guy on the show who talked about a fantasy team of famous authors. Not sure how he did.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bamaman wrote:There was some guy on the show who talked about a fantasy team of famous authors. Not sure how he did.
No, it definitely wasn't that guy... that was actually interesting. The guy at my audition reminded me of a friend of mine. I wouldn't think my friend would be the first person picked to be put on TV, either. (The two people from my audition that I remembered and thought would be most likely to be picked for the show did end up being chosen)
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

I guess someone who knows nothing about the presidents could reason out FJ by:
10 years = 3 terms
+ first incumbent = 4
+ 1 death = 5
Quite a few presidents die in office so that's probably not a record. +1 more = 6!
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:There was some guy on the show who talked about a fantasy team of famous authors. Not sure how he did.
playwrights:
http://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=298

he did ok on j! but i haven't heard how the playwrights were doing. we can ask him, though.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I only saw the second part of DJ live and just now saw the whole thing on tape. Add me to those who hated the noble gas category and baseball was an easy series sweep.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

trying to catch up on j! after the NBA playoffs/french open/euro 2012 killed all my TV-watching time for a couple weeks. this was a tough episode for me—i got slaughtered in TV nobody watches, unfamiliar product names, and even fats. luckily i logicked my way into a correct FJ response, more by seaborgium's method (2 dead guys, 2 successor, in between, before) than by actually being able to sort out which ones in 30 seconds.

like AP, i thought the noble gas category was going to be all things that ended in -on, much like "lesser-known greeks" were all things that ended in an "eez" sound. and damn, i wish they'd shown more of the every other letter category—i eat that stuff up.
OrangeSAM wrote:he did ok on j! but i haven't heard how the playwrights were doing. we can ask him, though.
thanks for asking! it's nice to be remembered. :) the team is doing great—just coming off a tough world series loss, but we've been in the playoffs for the last 4 years and the WS for the last 3, including one championship. it's by far the most successful era in broadway wrights history. anton chekhov is long gone (and has been enshrined in the hall of fame, in fact), but recent stars harold pinter, victor hugo, dario fo, and reigning rookie of the year joe orton have been carrying the banner.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

jpahk wrote:thanks for asking! it's nice to be remembered. :) the team is doing great—just coming off a tough world series loss, but we've been in the playoffs for the last 4 years and the WS for the last 3, including one championship. it's by far the most successful era in broadway wrights history. anton chekhov is long gone (and has been enshrined in the hall of fame, in fact), but recent stars harold pinter, victor hugo, dario fo, and reigning rookie of the year joe orton have been carrying the banner.
great to hear of your recent success, but i'm not sure that orton kid will have a long career.
OCSam