Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, June 7, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

The Arts
Formed in 1909, it performed to great acclaim in Paris, London, New York & Monte Carlo, but never in Moscow.
Spoiler
What is the Ballets Russes? Chris and Sarah both said the Bolshoi Ballet; Ernest said Reds.
Sarah Fowlkes: $17,800-$8,000=$9,800...now a 1-day champion with $9,800
Ernest Nino-Murcia: $12,000-$11,999=$1
Chris Dunn: $8,900-$0=$8,900
Last edited by jeff6286 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

A lovely 1-for-5 on Internet Slang -- which surprised me -- and a big, fat 0-fer on Trilogies -- which didn't as much.

Is there some reason that someone outside of CA would know that San Bernadino is larger than LA County?

For FJ, all I could come up with is, The one that isn't Bolshoi, as I know that the US and the Bolshoi came about in the same year.

ETA: OK, seems that San Bernadino is the largest county in the US. A fact that, obviously, I had never heard before.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Super cute! I could watch her all week.

With that said, what a joke of a DD for Cassatt. That whole category was turned down a notch.

I don't have the numbers in front of me but my sense is that $8000 bet may not have been ideal.

On FJ I thought a specific ballet initially before the gist of the question hit me.

Overall I enjoyed this board - maybe easy in spots but better than yesterday's.

One other thought. I thought it played SLOW. A lot of pausing between question and buzzing in. That wasn't edited out as much as I thought it would be
Last edited by Austin Powers on Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

San Bernardino is the largest county in the country IIRC though it being $200 reflects a certain SoCal writer bias I suspect.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I also liked this board, and agree that it was on the easy side. I didn't like that "Aunts" category in the DJ round, though.

I did struggle in the song lyrics category. I was familiar with all those songs but the lyrics just didn't lead me to them.

I guessed Bolshoi on FJ just to have something but I knew that it couldn't be correct.

I liked how Sarah seemed to do well in the academic/quiz-bowly categories. When I saw the FJ category I felt good about her chances of winning.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

WQC repays Jeopardy! for the Carlos Slim favor by offering up an FJ answer (and saving me from a shameful shutout this week).

Yo Ho (The Mendoza Line For Me)

ETA: A bit premature, as I just realized I have one more at bat.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Have I mentioned that I HATE those "Pick one of three" categories, especially when it's "which one is the biggest"? You expect me to have the square footage of everything memorized? (Okay, San Bernardino County is largest. Got it. But otherwise.)

Also, the last two times they had a "Pick one of the three" category, I took a mental guess and was wrong ALL FIVE TIMES.

Dehydration was overvalued. Stunned by the TS on Moon, especially since no one even took a guess.

No clue on FJ! I wasn't even in the neighborhood of ballet.

Sis said "Russian Ballet" — would that be acceptable?
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Austin Powers wrote:San Bernardino is the largest county in the country IIRC though it being $200 reflects a certain SoCal writer bias I suspect.
This.
StevenH wrote:I guessed Bolshoi on FJ just to have something but I knew that it couldn't be correct.
And this.

I thought it was kind of amusing, watching DVR recordings of last night's and tonight's games in succession, that each game had a "guess the 19th-century Russian writer!" clue, and that Tolstoy was the first name guessed in each case.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Sis said "Russian Ballet" — would that be acceptable?
Probably not: It's the Ballets Russes (Russian Ballets). The "s" does change things, in my opinion.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Budphrey wrote: I thought it was kind of amusing, watching DVR recordings of last night's and tonight's games in succession, that each game had a "guess the 19th-century Russian writer!" clue, and that Tolstoy was the first name guessed in each case.
Don't read if you haven't seen Wednesday's game yet:
Spoiler
I clammed last night, but felt fairly confident guessing Tolstoy tonight since Dostoyevsky was used last night. I have no idea if that logic was sound, but it was good enough for me in the moment.
I guessed San Bernardino, without the knowledge that it was the largest count in the country, thinking it would make sense that a county outside of a major city could stretch wider, while a big city county would be fairly compact. Again, I have no idea if that logic would apply to any other areas in the country, but at least for CA, it made sense to me.

All 3 players had periods of total domination tonight. Chris owned the J! round; Ernest caught fire early in DJ!, and Sarah took over at the end of DJ!, cashing in on the literary trilogies and Artists categories. I had a feeling that after her confident wager in Artists, she would probably have an easy get in FJ, but of course things don't always work out that way.

Does anyone know of anything named "Reds" that Ernest may have been thinking of for his FJ guess, or was he just naming something that could have had a tie to Russians or communists? The Warren Beatty film Reds wasn't based on a play or anything as far as I can tell, and I can't find anything else on Wiki going by that name that would fit this clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

HugoZ wrote:WQC repays Jeopardy! for the Carlos Slim favor by offering up an FJ answer (and saving me from a shameful shutout this week).
Entertainment 10.

A 30-second silent black-and-white newsreel filmed in Montreux, Switzerland, in 1928 was identified in the British Pathe News online archive in 2011. It is the only known film of which legendary, dance company -- one of the world's best known and most influential?

On Saturday I guessed the Kirov. Tonight I guessed the Bolshoi. I knew I had used up my luck for things in the Arts by runnning the Painters.

Alex's comment to Sarah in saying, "One of those." about her being a vegan had me thinking he would have no problem knowing the prime rib clue.

I didn't mind the Anti/Auntie categories getting 7/10. Internet Slang, 11-Letter Words and Biggest in Area was 3/15.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Chris had gotten his DD right, they'd have gone into FJ $12,000-$14,900-$17,800 -- evenly spaced scores. Based on how they wagered with the actual scores, my guess is Chris would have won on the triple stumper. Maxing out from Stratton's is normally ambiguous, but the $1 holdback makes me think Ernest would have wagered that way from any trailing position. I think Chris would have bet to cover Ernest, and been left standing after an overwager by Sarah.

I said Bolshoi at WQC; wasn't making that mistake twice. The specific mention of Moscow in the clue helped me feel solid about that.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Boy, J! does like them some Mary Cassat. For future reference, it's beneficial to know that the Bolshoi (Great) Ballet was founded in 1776, and is headquartered in Moscow. I think the guess of 'Reds" was indeed the Beatty movie- which was based on hte John Reed book ' Ten Days That Shook the World' .(a blow- by- blow description of the Boshevik revolution)
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Hey, where is the love for Ernest's rendition of Brown Sugar? It was pretty hilarious from where I sat! Go Ernest, go Ernest! What a good guy...
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

gloriaclemente wrote:Hey, where is the love for Ernest's rendition of Brown Sugar? It was pretty hilarious from where I sat! Go Ernest, go Ernest! What a good guy...
Oh that was SINGING? My bad there.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Re: Russian authors...
jeff6286 wrote: Don't read if you haven't seen Wednesday's game yet:
Spoiler
I clammed last night, but felt fairly confident guessing Tolstoy tonight since Dostoyevsky was used last night. I have no idea if that logic was sound, but it was good enough for me in the moment.
Countess was a major TOM, which eliminates the one you ruled out.

I think I scribbled down London Philharmonic, but I had nothin really (and on air it'd likely look like an undecipherable scribble). A ballet company seemed more apropos, but it wasn't the Bolshoi (as mentioned, HQ'd in Moscow) and I'd doubt the Kirov would explicitly avoid Moscow as well. Aaaaand that's the extent of my knowledge of ballet companies.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Only one page of comments on this game? Obviously a slow night.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

gloriaclemente wrote:Hey, where is the love for Ernest's rendition of Brown Sugar? It was pretty hilarious from where I sat! Go Ernest, go Ernest! What a good guy...
I was rooting for him based on that alone.