Friday, June 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, June 8, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx »

For me, the key was that a chapter ending with a character in peril sounded like a cliffhanger, so it made sense that he would be literally dangling/hanging from a cliff. Though I guess in you're looking for a phrase...
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ from the image of someone dangling from something, which led me to hanging from a cliff. I guess its something that you either get or it just doesn't click. A rare word origins get for me.
EVen if I had thought of cliff, I'm not sure I would have used it. How is "cliffhanger" a cliche?
You've never heard of a season ending TV show being a "cliffhanger"?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:
Bamaman wrote:I got FJ from the image of someone dangling from something, which led me to hanging from a cliff. I guess its something that you either get or it just doesn't click. A rare word origins get for me.
EVen if I had thought of cliff, I'm not sure I would have used it. How is "cliffhanger" a cliche?
You've never heard of a season ending TV show being a "cliffhanger"?
Sure, but how does that make it a cliche?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

CAPS LOCK wrote:I'm at the rightmost podium on today's show. I'd just like to say that I'm spectacularly un-proud of my contestant interview. It went from being "I need a fifth contestant tidbit to put on this form!" (I am sure I had a different one when I auditioned nearly 2 years ago) to "Why are they putting that one on Alex's card?" (he chooses from 3 on each card of his own volition) to "Oh, man, why is he asking me about this boring thing on live TV!?". I always feared the chat-with-contestants moment - and I'm one of those people who fast-forwards through it 99% of the time - but at least it's not embarrassing or confusing, just kind of flat.

In stark contrast, today's returning champ, Sarah Fowlkes, today has one of the funniest contestant stories I have ever heard.

I think you're your own toughest critic here Aaron. The story you told was funny and seemed well-received by the audience. Oh, and congrats on winning, and being the sole solve in FJ. It was by no means an instaget, but I teased it out, and it would not have surprised me if it had been a triple-get.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I went with hanging by a...thread. Yes, an enormous thread, a thread the likes of which you've never even imagined. The sheer massiveness of this particular thread that I was hanging by would blow your mind...ahem. Anyway, I was so thrown by the word "sea-bord" that I had no idea what to do with it. If I had just ignored the "bord" and thought, "What massive thing might someone hang from by the sea?" I might have gotten to cliff, but I wasn't getting there in 30 seconds. So what exactly does "sea-bord" mean? Let's try a Google search...No, Google, I don't mean "seaboard". No, I don't mean seaborgium either. Okay, thefreedictionary.com and dictionary.reference.com both have an entry for "seabord". And the definition is..."See seaboard". Okay, so they're the same word with different spellings, so what does "seaboard" mean? 1. A seacoast; 2. Land near the sea; a. land bordering on the sea; the seashore; (different source) 1. the line where land and sea meet; 2. a region bordering a seacoast; 3. (adjective) bordering on or adjoining the sea.

So basically "sea-bord" means "by the sea", where someone might hang by...the skin of their teeth? Oh, a cliff. That makes sense.

Congratulations CAPS LOCK on the win, and good luck next week. Nice recognition of the two-thirds scenario in FJ. It's funny that just leaving off that one little measly dollar could have made all the difference in the world. Not that I really expected Rosanne to bet $0 with Sarah in position to pass her, but you never know.

I tried to find a simple explanation for where the "sixes and sevens" saying came from, but man, it's a British expression and those wacky Brits come up with some weird shit. Maybe it came from the bible, or maybe it came from a French dice game, or maybe it came about because of a dispute between two London livery companies. Hell if I know. I think after reading all of the possible origins I don't even remember what in the heck it was supposed to mean in the first place.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:Sure, but how does that make it a cliche?
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Missed the first half of the show. Anything happen?
Instaget FJ, keeps me from an 0fer.
alamble

Post by alamble »

How in the world do they get through a "Never-Seen TV Characters" category without mentioning the infamous Vera Peterson? For SHAME, J! writers.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

alamble wrote:How in the world do they get through a "Never-Seen TV Characters" category without mentioning the infamous Vera Peterson? For SHAME, J! writers.
I was expecting that the whole time as well.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So that Febuary/February argument in Unseen characters for $200. Did they just repeat "It's Febuary!" "No, it's February!" back and forth for 90 seconds like that stupid Moops/Moors clip?

ETA: No, only 14 seconds. But still about as funny as a hammer to the nads.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Since we did see Big Stein (played by Larry David) even though only from the back , I thought a better choice from Seinfled would be either Bob Saccamano or Jerry's cousin Jeffrey.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

PatMorrison wrote:Glad to see you were able to make it on the show, Aaron, after you got bumped from that Wednesday taping in mid-November (oh, the joys of being a local). I figured once you got the opportunity to play you would do very well. Did they guarantee that you would be on the show the second time? It can't be too fun to wait around all day and not get to play by the 5th game of the day.
Thanks, Patrick. Despite having spent ~$200 to change a plane ticket to get back to L.A. in time for the taping, I must say I'm pretty glad I didn't have to play against you on that day (Patrick won $80k+ in a commanding 3-game streak before falling to David Gard,who would go on to be a 4-time champ). By the end of the day I was ready, and disappointed to hear the other "local person" called up instead of me.

They did indeed tell me that I was guaranteed to be on the show in my second day at the studio (three months after my first trip down there). It's part of the disadvantage of being an L.A. local, but it's a kind of advantage too. By the time I finally appeared at a podium and heard those magic "THIS... IS... JEOPARDY!" words, I had watched nine games from the audience, had plenty of buzzer practice, prep time, observation of my opponents and other players, and was confident, rested, and ready.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

In honor of TPH, I will from this day forward post in the daily thread a Seinfeld clip that is relevant to that day's Jeopardy! episode. Today we have a memorable moment where Kramer "wins" a Tony Award. Today's show featured an entire category about the Tony Awards, but none of the clues mentioned Scarsdale Surprise, the Raquel Welch show that "earned" Kramer his Tony.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

alamble wrote:How in the world do they get through a "Never-Seen TV Characters" category without mentioning the infamous Vera Peterson? For SHAME, J! writers.

Well, we did see her once...albeit with cake all over her face. :D
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Maybe one of these days I'll laugh. That clip was painfully unfunny. Seinfeld...*shrug*
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I really am watching the Seinfeld clips you throw at me (and if you think I'm lying — that last one had embedding disabled, so I had to follow through to YouTube proper).

Also, here's my reaction:

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was never a huge fan of it, either. But Bamawoman liked it so I got hooked on it though her. but that clip wasn't very funny to me, Kramer was probably my least favorite character on the show.
alamble

Post by alamble »

thenextofken wrote:

Well, we did see her once...albeit with cake all over her face. :D
True .... she was also portrayed by George Wendt's real-life spouse, Bernadette Birkett.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

Bamaman wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:6's and 7's!? OK...

First it was the baseball category, now it's the TV category that they keep switching away from. Stop making me wait for my 5/5 damnit!

Super-duper-ultra-instaget FJ. Absolutely stunned it was only a single get.
I easily ran the TV category as well. My precall of Carlton the doorman didn't show up, however. Nor did Mrs. Wolowitz.

Sixes and Sevens was new to me as well.

I got FJ from the image of someone dangling from something, which led me to hanging from a cliff. I guess its something that you either get or it just doesn't click. A rare word origins get for me.

6's and 7's is familiar to me. Robert Plant closed one of his solo albums with a song titled "Sixes and Sevens". That's how I know the term.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

I literally LOLed at CAPS LOCK's contestant story and said, "Hey, that must be CAPS LOCK!"

One lyic from "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" (Evita) gave us two answers tonight:
"all you will see is a girl you once knew / although she's dressed up to the nines/ at sixes and sevens with you"

Pretty much insta-get on FJ, once I processed what they were seeking.
And if you follow TV series with any regularity, "cliffhanger" is definitely cliche. Seems like a scripted show can't end a season without one anymore.