FJs for the 6/4/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/4/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one
53%
1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio (according to the official bio of no. 3, Oprah)
77%
Between Jan. 1, 1841 & Dec. 31, 1850 the U.S. had this many presidents, the most in a 10-year period
41%
Formed in 1909, it performed to great acclaim in Paris, London, New York & Monte Carlo, but never in Moscow
35%
In an 1873 Thomas Hardy serial, a chapter ends with a character dangling from an "enormous sea-bord" this
47%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
8%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
4%
KEEPING UP WITH THE CAROLINGIANS $2000: The poet Turold is thought to have penned this chanson about a Carolingian hero at the Battle of Roncesvalles
41%
1960s BESTSELLERS $1600: She had back-to-back No. 1 bestsellers with "Valley of the Dolls" & "The Love Machine"
68%
INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $600: The Rub al-Khali is a vast desert mostly in this vast peninsular country
86%

Total votes: 93

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 6/4/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

6/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICA

6/4 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Very different places, the first 2 African nations to gain independence from a European power were Egypt & this one

6/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WOMEN IN ENTERTAINMENT

6/5 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1 of the first 2 women in Hollywood to own a studio (according to the official bio of no. 3, Oprah)

6/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE PRESIDENCY

6/6 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Between Jan. 1, 1841 & Dec. 31, 1850 the U.S. had this many presidents, the most in a 10-year period

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE ARTS

6/7 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Formed in 1909, it performed to great acclaim in Paris, London, New York & Monte Carlo, but never in Moscow

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CLICHES

6/8 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In an 1873 Thomas Hardy serial, a chapter ends with a character dangling from an "enormous sea-bord" this

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
South Africa
Mary Pickford or Lucille Ball
Six
Ballets Russes
Cliff
The players were 6/14 (42.86%) with a 2-3-0-0-1 success pattern.

The players were correct on each of the extra clues.

KEEPING UP WITH THE CAROLINGIANS $2000: The poet Turold is thought to have penned this chanson about a Carolingian hero at the Battle of Roncesvalles

1960s BESTSELLERS $1600: She had back-to-back No. 1 bestsellers with "Valley of the Dolls" & "The Love Machine"

INTERNATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC $600: The Rub al-Khali is a vast desert mostly in this vast peninsular country

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
The Song of Roland
Jacqueline Susann
Saudi Arabia
ETA: I forgot Terry didn't play FJ on Monday, so I adjusted the success percentage.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 6/4/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

For the second week in a row, I didn't even guess on anything. Wouldn't have come within a million miles of any of those.

Knew Saudi Arabia but blanked on it.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

It's not a zero ...
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

On the "arts" one, my first thought was the Kirov (remembering that it is associated w/ St. Petersburg, whereas the Bolshoi is associated with Moscow, and the clue specified no performances in Moscow); but then, probably due to my recent WQC experience, ballets russe popped into my head.

South Africa was kind of lucky guess on a clue that seemed pretty vague.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

gottem all but "Song of Roland."
Relatively sure on 2 FJs, felt good about my guess on 2, and lucky guess on the 5th.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:roll: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Knew about South Africa's relatively early independence from reading about the Boer War many years ago as a part of a Boy Scout project on the life of Baden-Powell. Had to resist the urge to call it "Union of South Africa"; I still seem to have my mind stuck with African country names as of 1968.
Remembered Mary Pickford as part of the original United Artists back in the day.
Remembered to start with Van Buren and end with Filmore.
Ballet Russe - I discussed that on the episode thread.
Cliffhanger - I was confounded at first, then seized on the word "serial" in the clue, and made the most logical guess I could come up with.

No go on this - I read "Song of Roland" back in high school, but didn't remember anything more than the general story (and that he said "mea culpa" a lot).
Old enough to remember the buzz with Susann and "Dolls" in the day. (Mr. Spock referred to her as a literary giant in ST IV)
Knew Saudi Arabia outright.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Pickford was the only one I knew, because totally lucky screwup on Wedn (Harrison - Pierce, while not 10 years, also equals 6!)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My brain has been in a fog recently. :(
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Assuming "Russian Ballet" would have been accepted, as someone mentioned in the thread that it should have been.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Got to cliffhanger Friday, believe I might have crossed off "hanger" if I'd written it, gave myself the benefit of the doubt. Edit: changed my mind, my vote

I knew that Saudi Arabia was a "peninsular country" thanks to Generalist's FJ.
Last edited by seaborgium on Sun Jun 10, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
davey

Post by davey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

I seem be to stuck in "3 out 5" weeks....I really should learn better the list of mid-19th century presidents...and not to dwell on mid-19th century novelists' poetic diction...

At least the extras were a cinch.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :( :(

South Africa was a lucky guess.
Mary Tyler Moore on Tuesday.
Couldn't parse Friday's in time--all I could think of was albatross, which didn't make sense, and is an allusion, not a cliche, anyway.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

:( :D :( :( :D
:( :D :D

Not a good week for me. But then, I was traveling on business, and I always do poorly on FJs when I've been gone for any length of time and am playing catch-up on the episodes.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Nailed the three extra clues. In FJ, I scored on Monday, Tuesday (thinking of Desilu studios), Wednesday, and Thursday, then on Friday I wrote down "cliff" and "precipice" and at the last second crossed out whoops gotta run I'll finish this next time.
I'm smart and I want respect.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

:x :x :x :D :x
:D :D :D
HugoZ wrote:Yo Ho (The Mendoza Line For Me)

ETA: A bit premature, as I just realized I have one more at bat.
OK, now I can officially start singing.

Mon: Beaten to the punch by the HackenWife
Tue: Didn't listen to the Pavlov response (Pickford)
Wed: 5
Thu: Thank you, WQC
Fri: Having singing pirates in my head on Thur (see above) left me dangling from a "yardarm".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Lefty wrote:Nailed the three extra clues. In FJ, I scored on Monday, Tuesday (thinking of Desilu studios), Wednesday, and Thursday, then on Friday I wrote down "cliff" and "precipice" and at the last second crossed out whoops gotta run I'll finish this next time.
I was going to say that precipice (or any synonym for cliff) would work. But I guess following the quote immediately with "this" rules out anything that doesn't complete the quote (whereas "'enormous sea-bord' one of these," for example, would allow for anything that meant cliff).
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

seaborgium wrote:
Lefty wrote:Nailed the three extra clues. In FJ, I scored on Monday, Tuesday (thinking of Desilu studios), Wednesday, and Thursday, then on Friday I wrote down "cliff" and "precipice" and at the last second crossed out whoops gotta run I'll finish this next time.
I was going to say that precipice (or any synonym for cliff) would work. But I guess following the quote immediately with "this" rules out anything that doesn't complete the quote (whereas "'enormous sea-bord' one of these," for example, would allow for anything that meant cliff).
That and the category name ("Cliches"). Don't think "precipice-hanger" is qualifies.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:ugeek: :( :( :roll: :mrgreen:
I still think that Monday's was a poorly-worded question and that South Africa should not count as correct.
Tried to think of Mary Pickford, kept coming up with Fairbanks
Didn't count Van Buren, went with 5 like the majority
No chance at all
Instaget

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Paucle wrote:gottem all but "Song of Roland."
Relatively sure on 2 FJs, felt good about my guess on 2, and lucky guess on the 5th.
Science fiction and fantasy to the rescue for me here. I've never read The Song of Roland.

However, when I was growing up, I loved The Incompleat Enchanter by Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague DeCamp, enough so that many years later, my grandmother located in Staten Island a bookstore that carried the then-rare sequels, packaged as The Compleat Enchanter, and bought it for me as a birthday present. (This was harder than it sounds. My grandmother lived in Brooklyn, but like many native New Yorkers, she never learned to drive.) As you'll have guessed by now, The Song of Roland is featured prominently in one of those works. --Bob