Finally... Think Different #150

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gamawire
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Finally... Think Different #150

Post by gamawire »

8. Name someone who has portrayed either John Connor or a Terminator (with a speaking part) in the film franchise.

Big shock on the sheep here. Hardly any love for Terminator: Salvation.

Arnold Schwarzenegger (8):
Rackme32
Vanya
Bamaman
DadofTwins
Magna
jkbrat
amorris525
debramc

Kristanna Loken (3):
WRV
Turd Ferguson
Le Master

Robert Patrick (3):
MarkBarrett
Peggles
econgator

Edward Furlong (2):
mennoknight
billy pilgrim

Nick Stahl (2):
goforthetie
jeff6286

Jenette Goldstein (1):
Paucle

Sam Worthington (1):
teapot37

Christian Bale (1):
the_phil

DROP (0):
mitchparov
SkeeBallRaif
RandyG

INCORRECT (13):
NONE!

Correct answers not given:

Claire Danes is the only one I know of, but there could be more.
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

RANKINGS AFTER QUESTION #8:

Paucle -- 8
econgator -- 14
goforthetie -- 15
billy pilgrim -- 17
Peggles -- 23
jeff6286 -- 27
Le Master -- 27
Vanya -- 29
amorris525 -- 30
mennoknight -- 30
mitchparov -- 30
Magna -- 32
teapot37 -- 32
Bamaman -- 34
Turd Ferguson -- 34
the_phil -- 38
Rackme32 -- 39
DadofTwins -- 40
WRV -- 42
MarkBarrett -- 43
SkeeBallRaif -- 44
jkbrat -- 47
debramc -- 49
RandyG -- 49

As Paucle widens his lead, it's shaping up to a close race for the silver and bronze, and looks like RandyG has some competition as well. Stay tuned for the exciting conclusion...
"It is better, of course, to know useless things than to know nothing." -- Seneca
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

gamawire wrote:8. Name someone who has portrayed either John Connor or a Terminator (with a speaking part) in the film franchise.

Big shock on the sheep here. Hardly any love for Terminator: Salvation.

Jenette Goldstein (1):
Paucle

Claire Danes is the only one I know of, but there could be more.
Was Claire Danes impersonated by the Terminator in T3? I was confused by that being listed as a correct answer, but then I looked up who in the heck Jenette Goldstein was, and it seems she played John Connor's foster mother in T2, so I'm guessing that she was included because she was impersonated by the T-1000 in that movie. If that's the case, would any other actor who appeared in at least one scene as the T-1000 have been accepted, as long as they spoke one line? Linda Hamilton might have worked as well. I don't recall her ever being impersonated physically by a terminator, but I'm pretty sure they used her voice on at least a couple of occasions. That may have been a tough call.

As to the most expensive painting question, Wikipedia seems to have the same list given here, except that it has The Card Players by Paul Cezanne as #1, with a sale price not specifically known, but believed to be somewhere between $250 and $300 million, putting it ahead of #2 on the list by a huge margin, somewhere around $100 million. Were you aware of this one, gamawire, and would you have given credit for Cezanne if anyone had given it as an answer?
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

jeff6286 wrote:
Was Claire Danes impersonated by the Terminator in T3? I was confused by that being listed as a correct answer, but then I looked up who in the heck Jenette Goldstein was, and it seems she played John Connor's foster mother in T2, so I'm guessing that she was included because she was impersonated by the T-1000 in that movie. If that's the case, would any other actor who appeared in at least one scene as the T-1000 have been accepted, as long as they spoke one line? Linda Hamilton might have worked as well. I don't recall her ever being impersonated physically by a terminator, but I'm pretty sure they used her voice on at least a couple occasions. That may have been a tough call.

As to the most expensive painting question, Wikipedia seems to have the same list given here, except that it has The Card Players by Paul Cezanne as #1, with a sale price not specifically known, but believed to be somewhere between $250 and $300 million, putting it ahead of #2 on the list by a huge margin, somewhere around $100 million. Were you aware of this one, gamawire, and would you have given credit for Cezanne if anyone had given it as an answer?
The Terminator impersonates Claire's character not long after she and John Connor show up at the base where her father is - it's when Arnold shoots the terminator and Dane's father is thinking it's his daughter getting shot up. I don't recall any scenes where the Termiantor impersonates Sarah Connor, but had it come up, I guess I would have had to watch the movie as research!

Regarding the painting question, since I cited my source as Business Insider, I probably would not have accepted Cezanne.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

9. Name a President who first served in the House of Representatives and then the Senate.

The following (from Wikipedia) is a complete list of acceptable answers, which is going to upset a couple of you. And here’s my ruling: while it’s true that Gerald Ford was vice president and therefore president pro tem of the senate, the question asks for someone who served in the senate, which Ford did not. Feel free (as if I could stop you! :D ) to discuss.

Richard Nixon, House of Reps: 1947–1950, Senate: 1951–1953
John F. Kennedy, House of Reps: 1947–1953, Senate: 1953–1961
Franklin Pierce, House of Reps: 1833–1837, Senate: 1837–1842
William Henry Harrison, House of Reps: 1816–1819, Senate: 1825–1828
James Buchanan, House of Reps: 1821–1831, Senate: 1834–1845
Andrew Jackson, House of Reps: 1796–1797 , Senate: 1797–1798, 1823-1825
Andrew Johnson, House of Reps: 1843–1853, Senate: 1857–1862
Lyndon B. Johnson, House of Reps: 1937–1949, Senate: 1949–1961
John Tyler, House of Reps: 1816–1821, Senate: 1827–1836

Richard Nixon (5):
MarkBarrett
WRV
Vanya
Bamaman
RandyG

Andrew Johnson (4):
DadofTwins
jkbrat
econgator
goforthetie

John Kennedy (4):
Rackme32
Peggles
billy pilgrim
jeff6286

Lyndon Johnson (3):
mitchparov
Turd Ferguson
SkeeBallRaif

Andrew Jackson (1):
Paucle

Franklin Pierce (1):
Le Master

DROP (0):
mennoknight
teapot37

INCORRECT (10):
the_phil (Gerald Ford)
Magna (Gerald Ford)
amorris525 (Millard Fillmore)
debramc (Abraham Lincoln)

James Buchanan
William Henry Harrison
John Tyler

Let the discussion begin!

Final question and award ceremony in the morning!
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

gamawire wrote: The Terminator impersonates Claire's character not long after she and John Connor show up at the base where her father is - it's when Arnold shoots the terminator and Dane's father is thinking it's his daughter getting shot up. I don't recall any scenes where the Termiantor impersonates Sarah Connor, but had it come up, I guess I would have had to watch the movie as research!

Regarding the painting question, since I cited my source as Business Insider, I probably would not have accepted Cezanne.
I recall in T1 it impersonates sarah's mother when she calls home. THAT was your killer answer!
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

gamawire wrote: Regarding the painting question, since I cited my source as Business Insider, I probably would not have accepted Cezanne.
What if I was the one who paid the $250 million for the Cezanne painting? (I can show you the receipt)! Would you still rule me incorrect just because your source was using incomplete information? Just kidding. :mrgreen: If you're a Terminator fan, you're all right with me.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Wait, you accepted people whom the Terminator impersonated? That wasn't clear to me from the question. Not that it would have helped me any.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Vanya wrote:Wait, you accepted people whom the Terminator impersonated? That wasn't clear to me from the question. Not that it would have helped me any.
Well the T-1000 was made of liquid metal. It didn't have a true human-looking form the way Arnold's model did. Robert Patrick didn't really "play" the T-1000, he was just the form it took for most of the movie, and the one most people associate with the character. I also hadn't considered the fact that other actors "became" the T-1000, including the actress playing John's foster mother. I threw out the fact that many of the Terminators also impersonated people's voices, so an actor/actress who had their voice used by a Terminator also could have been considered a correct answer, although I don't think anyone gave an answer that fits this description.

*ETA* As referenced by Volante below, there is a scene late in T2 where the T-1000 does indeed impersonate Linda Hamilton. So that indeed would have been a correct answer for this question. It is in the first minute of this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYj8CUA9FZc
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Linda Hamilton might have worked as well. I don't recall her ever being impersonated physically by a terminator, but I'm pretty sure they used her voice on at least a couple of occasions.
You don't remember the end scene of T2? Yes, Linda Hamilton was copied by the T-1000.
(Spoiler alert! http://media.screened.com/uploads/1/151 ... _2_627.jpg )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Vanya wrote:Wait, you accepted people whom the Terminator impersonated? That wasn't clear to me from the question. Not that it would have helped me any.
When I saw you on the list of entrants, I was "sure" you were also going to say Kristanna Loken.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

billy pilgrim wrote:
gamawire wrote: The Terminator impersonates Claire's character not long after she and John Connor show up at the base where her father is - it's when Arnold shoots the terminator and Dane's father is thinking it's his daughter getting shot up. I don't recall any scenes where the Termiantor impersonates Sarah Connor, but had it come up, I guess I would have had to watch the movie as research!

I recall in T1 it impersonates sarah's mother when she calls home. THAT was your killer answer!
Not really - that still would have been Schwartzenegger - when they show "her mom" on the other end of the phone, it's Arnold. There's no actress in the scene, so what would an answer be? It'd have to be Arnold.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Volante wrote:
jeff6286 wrote: Linda Hamilton might have worked as well. I don't recall her ever being impersonated physically by a terminator, but I'm pretty sure they used her voice on at least a couple of occasions.
You don't remember the end scene of T2? Yes, Linda Hamilton was copied by the T-1000.
(Spoiler alert! http://media.screened.com/uploads/1/151 ... _2_627.jpg )
The question then becomes, was Linda playing the T-1000 or was it her sister Leslie?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I've never seen a single Terminator movie, so I had no choice on that question, never even heard of any of the others except for Bale.
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

Bamaman wrote:I've never seen a single Terminator movie, so I had no choice on that question, never even heard of any of the others except for Bale.
You've never heard of Arnold? :o
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

10. Name a state that Al Gore won in the 2000 presidential election.

This one was fairly well spread out - lots of singletons to end the game on a high note.

New York (6):
MarkBarrett
Paucle
the_phil
Vanya
econgator
debramc

Connecticut (3):
mitchparov
Turd Ferguson
Le Master

New Mexico (2):
SkeeBallRaif
Magna

Minnesota (2):
DadofTwins
jkbrat

Maryland (2):
RandyG
amorris525

Rhode Island (2):
mennoknight
jeff6286

Hawaii (1):
Bamaman

Maine (1):
WRV

Massachusetts (1):
Peggles

Pennsylvania (1):
goforthetie

Illinois (1):
Rackme32

Wisconsin (1):
teapot37

Iowa (1):
billy pilgrim

DROP (0):
NONE!

INCORRECT (11):
NONE!

Washington
Oregon
California
Michigan
Vermont
New Jersey
Delaware
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

And now the list of also-rans (not to be confused with dark horses, of course!):

debramc -- 65
RandyG -- 56
MarkBarrett -- 54
the_phil -- 54
jkbrat -- 53
SkeeBallRaif -- 49
WRV -- 48
DadofTwins -- 46
Magna -- 44
Rackme32 -- 44
amorris525 -- 42
Bamaman -- 40
Turd Ferguson -- 40
Vanya -- 40
mitchparov -- 36
jeff6286 -- 33
teapot37 -- 33
mennoknight -- 32
Le Master -- 31
Peggles -- 28
econgator -- 24
gamawire

Post by gamawire »

And our medalists:

In third place, with three singletons and an excellent screen name (according to this Vonnegut fan, at least), it's

billy pilgrim!!

Taking the silver today, also with three singltons, is none other than

goforthetie!!!

And our winner by a good margin, with an incredible six singletons, give it up for our gold medalist,

Paucle!!!

Thank you for participating, everyone, and hopefully someone else is waiting in the wings with TD 151!! Bring it on!! :mrgreen:
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Thanks for the game, gama (not to mention putting a lot of the questions in wheelhouses!). Super congrats for the dominating performance by Paucle!
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

Wonderful game, gama and many thanks. Gratz to the podiumistas.