Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

I went with Shania Twain. I didn't know it, per se, I just went with the first name in my head. If it was anybody other than Shania or Celine Dion, I would have been shocked.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

For bomtr, gloriaclemente and others:

gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Can anyone supply me with the exact wording of the Amazon clue? It's not archived yet, and there's a bookselling blog that wants to post about it.

Thanks!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

jeff6286 wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote: Also, the Bodyguard soundtrack outsold "Come On Over" worldwide (Shania's album sold more in the US), and I doubt many people bought the album for the non-Whitney songs. (I'm not suggesting this makes the question incorrect, since the soundtrack wasn't actually Whitney's album, but nowhere in the clue does it state that they're talking about most albums sold in the US, and one could suggest that even the category only hints that they're talking about US sales only)
To me, the category title "U.S. Top Selling Albums" makes it pretty clear that they're talking about albums sold in the U.S. I guess you could make an argument that you thought they were only meaning albums produced in the U.S., but that seems like a bit of a stretch to me.
I agree that it's clear what they were asking for, I just think it's a badly-written clue. Shouldn't the clue stand on its own without having to rely on the category to "clarify" things? The category generally helps to figure out the response, it's not supposed to completely change what the response would be.

As an example, to adapt a question from my pub trivia last night, what's the correct response to this clue?

"THIS LARGEST NATION <blah blah blah>"

Simple, right? What if the category is "LANDLOCKED NATIONS"? Well, Russia isn't landlocked, so if you read the category you should know that it's "pretty clear" that Russia isn't the answer, it's just a badly-written clue. The proper way to write that clue would obviously be to include "largest landlocked nation" in the clue and have the category would be something else that would perhaps hint at what the clue was going to be about.

What if you "know" that The Bodyguard Soundtrack is the "bestselling album of all time by a female" (even if it's not technically true because not every song was Whitney's), forget the category, get confused and can't come up with an answer (because it's a pretty good bet that Whitney didn't start singing in Ontario)? Maybe that's grounds for an appeal? :)
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Turd Ferguson wrote:I agree that it's clear what they were asking for, I just think it's a badly-written clue. Shouldn't the clue stand on its own without having to rely on the category to "clarify" things? The category generally helps to figure out the response, it's not supposed to completely change what the response would be.

What if you "know" that The Bodyguard Soundtrack is the "bestselling album of all time by a female" (even if it's not technically true because not every song was Whitney's), forget the category, get confused and can't come up with an answer (because it's a pretty good bet that Whitney didn't start singing in Ontario)? Maybe that's grounds for an appeal? :)
I don't agree with any of this. The category is always important; surely if the category is words that begin with T, a response beginning with U is wrong. As space is so valuable for FJ this is all the more so, and they should cram info in wherever there is room. Frankly if they told us it was a landlocked country I'd be very happy to see the possibilities so narrowed.

The category made it clear they were contemplating US album sales, and Twain has the most sales of an album by a solo woman (The Bodyguard, for reasons you state, wouldn't count any more than Bat Out of Hell, which has Meat Loaf doing a duet with a woman on at least one track.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

For the record, I will say that a sufficient condition for an FJ to be considered negbait is if all three contestants come up with the same wrong answer.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

gloriaclemente wrote:Can anyone supply me with the exact wording of the Amazon clue? It's not archived yet, and there's a bookselling blog that wants to post about it.

Thanks!
Just in case no one has PMed you yet:

WEBSITES FROM A TO Z for $200 - A: It started as an online bookstore run from Jeff Bezos' garage
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Thanks, Mark!
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Austin Powers wrote:
Turd Ferguson wrote:I agree that it's clear what they were asking for, I just think it's a badly-written clue. Shouldn't the clue stand on its own without having to rely on the category to "clarify" things? The category generally helps to figure out the response, it's not supposed to completely change what the response would be.

I don't agree with any of this. The category is always important; surely if the category is words that begin with T, a response beginning with U is wrong. As space is so valuable for FJ this is all the more so, and they should cram info in wherever there is room. Frankly if they told us it was a landlocked country I'd be very happy to see the possibilities so narrowed.
My point (such that it is) is that the category completely changes the criteria for the response. "Forgetting" the category should perhaps make it more difficult to figure out the response to a clue, I don't think it should lead you towards a completely different response, which it could have done with last night's clue.

If they are looking for the largest country that is landlocked, they would explicitly say so in the clue, not just say "this is the largest country" in the clue and have "LANDLOCKED NATIONS" as the category. If they did that, and negged you when you say Russia because you "didn't read the category" that would seem stupid, no?

What if the clue in the last night's category was "This is the bestselling album of all time by a group"? Is it "Dark Side of the Moon" (which wikipedia says sold more copies worldwide than any other album by a group)? Or is it that Eagles greatest hits album (most sold in the US by a group?). In this case, ignoring the category would completely change the response. This is not the same as a "food that starts with Q" category, in which the clue will never describe something else that doesn't fit the criteria.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Turd Ferguson wrote:This is not the same as a "food that starts with Q" category, in which the clue will never describe something else that doesn't fit the criteria.
Hate to disagree with you, but that's exactly the same. If they described two similar foods in a clue, both seemingly described perfectly by the clue, but one started with a 'Q' and the other didn't, only the one fitting the category would be acceptable.

The same with the verb-al names category. If you said Blaze, as some did on the Mark clue, you would most likely be ruled incorrect because Blaze is not a common first name, the only thing that sets one apart from the other.

So many times, somebody has responded with something that would fit all parts of a given clue, but not the category, and Alex has responded with something along the lines of "You forgot the category".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

One of the most evil FJs I've ever seen. Highly popular female singer, from Canada (eastern Canada at that)... who the flip else do you expect people to think of?! Even worse, Shania Twain?! She's not going to be someone I'd rank highly on a list of most popular female singers of all-time. The writers trolled us hard.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:For the record, I will say that a sufficient condition for an FJ to be considered negbait is if all three contestants come up with the same wrong answer.
So, you thought the Agatha Christie FJ! was negbait too? I don't get why it can be considered negbait if the (wrong) response isn't even close to what they are asking for. OK, both titles were by Agatha Christie. But what is similar between Shania Twain and Celine Dion? Most of us would say that they are both Canadian, but even they don't claim that.
heelsrule1988 wrote:One of the most evil FJs I've ever seen. Highly popular female singer, from Canada (eastern Canada at that)... who the flip else do you expect people to think of?! Even worse, Shania Twain?! She's not going to be someone I'd rank highly on a list of most popular female singers of all-time. The writers trolled us hard.
Where did it say eastern Canada?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

bpmod wrote:Where did it say eastern Canada?
Don't you consider where you live to be the eastern part of the country?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
bpmod wrote:Where did it say eastern Canada?
Don't you consider where you live to be the eastern part of the country?
Of course not. That would mean French Canadians live there.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

dhkendall wrote:I thought (especially after his British impression) that he sounded like George Takei.
I thought the same thing, probably because I had just suffered through Larry Crowne a couple of nights ago.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

gloriaclemente wrote:After I lost, Maggie gave me a big hug and said "we all know you just wanted to play another game." I would've given back the money (well, some of it anyway) to get to play again at that point. There's nothing else like it.
That's exactly how I feel — I just want to play the game.

Great job, Kathy!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:(For some reason, all the version of that song on YouTube are slowed down about 10%. Wonder what went wrong there?)
Nothing went wrong; that's a method of defeating YouTube's automatic copyright/DMCA checks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

mennoknight wrote:Wavered between Alanis (how old was she on You Can't Do That on Television?) and Shania (when did she start at Deerhurst?). Sorry about both those broads by the way.
Alanis didn't start singing til after You Can't. I was actually able to rule her out because of that, as I've been watching those recently. (oh, thank you internet, for keeping SOME shows alive that otherwise would be lost to the ages...now where the bloody hell is my Deadly Games?!)
(Just think, her show biz career started by getting covered in green slime and fake hurling in Barth's Burgery... :lol: )

Never would've gotten Shania. Period.
BoK wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Sage on the Hudson wrote:.
Firstly, Michael J. Fox's real middle initial is actually "A." When he became an actor, he didn't want people making the lame joke "Michael, a fox," so he substituted "J" because it rhymes with "A."
Yes, I shoudl know better considering who I'm asking, but, cite? No less a source than The Michael J. Fox Foundation says: "He later adopted the “J” as an homage to legendary character actor Michael J. Pollard."
I first heard this factoid on the Universal Studios tour. I can't remember how the subject of Michael J. Fox came up, but this was in the 80s when Family Ties and Back to the Future were big.

Of course, just because the Universal tour guide said it, doesn't make it true.
Ask for Babs.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:Ask for Babs.
"No relation!"

/couldn't resist