Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

Yes, I was proud of myself for eliminating Celine from the "Ontario" aspect, but had nowhere to go from there. Thinking thinking thinking....
well, maybe she "became" Quebecois later, and started in Ontario, cuz I got nuttin' else. Celine it is!
Can't remember if that's my first miss or not, I have to check Monday's.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Paucle wrote:Can't remember if that's my first miss or not, I have to check Monday's.
Nobody missed Monday's.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:But an album sold is an album sold
But, that is what I was wondering. Just because two albums have the same title and (almost) the same group of songs, can they be considered the same album?

Brian
Whether they should be may be a matter of opinion, but for the subject of album sales, it seems that Billboard gets the deciding vote, and it looks like they do consider the U.S. version and the International version of Come on Over to be the same album, so I'm guessing that as long as the albums still have the same title, they include any or all different versions to be the same album for the purposes of record sales charts. This can also be seen in box office totals, with the multiple re-re-releases of George Lucas's Star Wars films, first the sound remastered for VHS release, then the "Special Editions" with additional scenes were released to theaters, then there were DVD and Blu-Ray versions of all 6 films, and now the prequel films are being released again in 3D format, all adding to the box office total of the original films. I don't know if there is a single entity that tracks movie grosses like Billboard does for record sales, but the two major websites that I know of, boxofficemojo.com and the-numbers.com both add the money made from 3D re-releases to the box office totals of the original films. Titanic was also re-released in 3D earlier this year, taking its lifetime domestic gross from $600 million up to $658 million.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Me, 2 seconds into the think music: "That's gotta be Celine Dion. I can't think of any other female Canadian singer that famous."

Me, upon Dion being ruled wrong: "Whaaaaaat?!?"

Me, upon Alex saying "The correct response — who is Shania Twain?": "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU—"

No excuse for missing that one. NO. FLIPPING. EXCUSE.

I am incredibly ashamed of myself.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Me, upon Alex saying "The correct response — who is Shania Twain?": "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU—"
Me too! :shock:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Even worse for me since I'm known as the country fan in these parts.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

All I can say is:

NEGBAIT
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

gloriaclemente wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Me, upon Alex saying "The correct response — who is Shania Twain?": "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU—"
Me too! :shock:
You had a lot better reason, Kathy.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:All I can say is:

NEGBAIT
Where?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

At first I wrote down "Celine Dion," thought about her French accent, and realized Ontario was probably a TOM designed to rule her out. Then I remembered how Shania was from Canada (couldn't remember which province), and went with her for lack of a better alternative. I knew Anne Murray and Joni Mitchell were from Canada, but didn't think either one had that huge an album.

Did it sound to anyone like one of the players said "Atticus Fitch" instead of Finch? I was surprised when they didn't announce a change in scoring later on.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

bpmod wrote:Nobody missed Monday's.
Oh yeah, that imbroglio. (Uh oh- if TPTB read this board, I've just planted the "Sounds Like an Australian Female Singer" category in their brain.)
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I thought that this was another very high quality game with two good boards, too. FJ got me, too: I knew the answer wasn't Celine Dion but ran through my list of female Canadian singer/songwriters. Joni? nah. Avril? no way. Sarah? not bloody likely. Nelly? no. Chantal? who'm I kidding? I settled on Alanis with no real confidence just a think music ran out and then delivered a major forehead slap when the answer was revealed. I never realized that Shania had sold that many albums, alas.

Good run, Gloria! As was said, it's just too bad you ended up in first and had to make the cover bet.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

bpmod wrote:

NEGBAIT
Where?

Brian
You oughtta know that it is negbait because, according to wikipedia, the top 3 selling albums all time by a female are all by Canadians, two of whom are from Ontario.

[Fun boson fact: I shared a backyard fence with the Morissettes until we moved around when I was 10 (Alanis was probably about 4 when we moved). My parents have a picture of the Morissette kids on vacation in Germany, Alanis in leiderhosen.]
Last edited by boson on Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Woof wrote: Good run, Gloria! As was said, it's just too bad you ended up in first and had to make the cover bet.
Ditto. That is one drawback to the hard TS FJ, it rewards being in close second or third. (today third was not close enough)

Unlike the other recent triple-same-neg clues like "Death on the Nile," I actually got this one and was pretty sure about it.

I then had a suspicion that it came up on Millionaire in the past and searching a fellow board member's Excel database from 2005 I found:
In November 2004, who became the first female singer to have an album certified 20 times platinum?
A. Shania Twain B. Madonna
C. Britney Spears D. Alanis Morissette
Sure enough, Alanis was a wrong answer offered by the WWTBAM writers...

With the date known:
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l76/j ... estion.jpg
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Smelled out the negbait of Celine Dion, took a flyer on Anne Murray. NEVER would've guessed Shania Twain.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote:Great run Kathy, it was a lot of fun to watch you. Looking forward to seeing the champ tomorrow. He really should be voicing movie trailers.
I thought (especially after his British impression) that he sounded like George Takei.

Oh, my!
boson wrote:
bpmod wrote:

NEGBAIT
Where?

Brian
You oughtta know that it is negbait because, according to wikipedia, the top 3 selling albums all time by a female are all by Canadians, two of whom are from Ontario.
I avoided the "negbait" (never saw it as such until all three answered Dion) of Celine, instead having a coinflip between Shania and Morissette. (I thought Ontario was in there to make people think twice about Shania, as she's more associated with Alberta (Canada's Texas in more ways than one) than Ontario.) Decided on Shania as I didn't think Morrissette was as popular (partly because Alanis was popular only in one genre)

My embarrassing clue - the Britspeak clue (I believe the $200 one) about the British word for the last letter of the alphabet, I immediately piped up "zee! No, zed!" - thinking that they wanted the word that isn't "normally" used for that letter - to me, that's "zee". (Especially since I was thinking during the "websites" category "If I was on, I'd make a point of calling out "Websites aye to zed for ..."")
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

Immediately had it down to a Twain/Dion debate, but went the wrong direction. I remember seeing a special on Twain and she worked in the lumbering business with her family. I thought she was from further west (Alberta/Manitoba). Of course, once you hit northern Canada, its probably all wooded.
noneyet
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by noneyet »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Me, 2 seconds into the think music: "That's gotta be Celine Dion. I can't think of any other female Canadian singer that famous."

Me, upon Dion being ruled wrong: "Whaaaaaat?!?"

Me, upon Alex saying "The correct response — who is Shania Twain?": "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU—"

No excuse for missing that one. NO. FLIPPING. EXCUSE.

I am incredibly ashamed of myself.
Yeah, me too. I ran a record store for ten years and if I had pulled that out I would have ended first, not third. But that's the way it goes. Just glad it was an exciting game to watch!
Be careful what you wish for. You might get it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:I thought Ontario was in there to make people think twice about Shania, as she's more associated with Alberta (Canada's Texas in more ways than one) than Ontario.
Say what!? Born in Windsor; most known for being 'from' Timmins.
dhkendall wrote:My embarrassing clue - the Britspeak clue (I believe the $200 one) about the British word for the last letter of the alphabet, I immediately piped up "zee! No, zed!" - thinking that they wanted the word that isn't "normally" used for that letter - to me, that's "zee". (Especially since I was thinking during the "websites" category "If I was on, I'd make a point of calling out "Websites aye to zed for ..."")
It always bugs me when they use terms like Britspeak for things that are used in the entire English-speaking world. Of course, these have also been used in categories like 'Canadianisms' even though they are not confined to Canada, but used everywhere outside of the US. (Oh, and that should be "websites eh to zed".)

Brian

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Paucle wrote:
bpmod wrote:Nobody missed Monday's.
Oh yeah, that imbroglio. (Uh oh- if TPTB read this board, I've just planted the "Sounds Like an Australian Female Singer" category in their brain.)
Who is O Trivia Newton John?