Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Thursday, June 14, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Ask for Babs.
"No relation!"

/couldn't resist
Unlike the three chanteuses we've been discussing. Celine, Shania and Alanis seem to be (distant) cousins.
OCSam
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
bpmod wrote:Where did it say eastern Canada?
Don't you consider where you live to be the eastern part of the country?
If you put a dividing line smack dab down the middle, we would be east of it, yes. But that's not what I think of when I think eastern Canada. I think of four of the five provinces east of Ontario.

Would you consider Springfield IL or Nashville TN to be eastern US? There may be many who do, but I wouldn't.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

OrangeSAM wrote:Unlike the three chanteuses we've been discussing. Celine, Shania and Alanis seem to be (distant) cousins.
Cite?

I can certainly imagine Celine & Alanis to be related, but I was not aware that Shania had any French blood in her whatsoever.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

mennoknight
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mennoknight »

bpmod wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:
If you put a dividing line smack dab down the middle, we would be east of it, yes. But that's not what I think of when I think eastern Canada. I think of four of the five provinces east of Ontario.

Would you consider Springfield IL or Nashville TN to be eastern US? There may be many who do, but I wouldn't.

Brian
That's because people in Ontario think it's the centre of everything. Out here we call you the east. Signed, a guy who's about to get transfered "out east" to Ottawa.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

bpmod wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote:Unlike the three chanteuses we've been discussing. Celine, Shania and Alanis seem to be (distant) cousins.
Cite?

I can certainly imagine Celine & Alanis to be related, but I was not aware that Shania had any French blood in her whatsoever.

Brian
I stumbled across this on Wikipedia this morning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zacharie_Cloutier

Quite a list of descendants that can lead you into a broad range of Canadian history.

The Jolie-Clinton connection came up on J! 365 day calendar, IIRC.
OCSam
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Kathy, sorry to see you go. You've been an entertaining champion.

And, as an honourary Canadian, I was ashamed to say I got it wrong, and Shania never entered my thought process - doubly so because she was the late Mrs. Spiff's fave. I thought initially of Alanis's Jagged Little Pill album; at about the 20th second, Celine entered my mind but (a) I'm pretty sure she didn't do a lot at age 8 in Ontario; I know I've seen some footage of some work she did as a teen in Banff, and she actually got mileage (as a Swiss national) in the Eurovision competition.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

mennoknight wrote:That's because people in Ontario think it's the centre of everything. Out here we call you the east. Signed, a guy who's about to get transfered "out east" to Ottawa.
But from Langley, everything is east.

Brian

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:

Brian
You're in the eastern timezone.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:You're in the eastern timezone.
OK, so would you consider somebody in the mountain timezone in the US to be "eastern"? After all there are two time zones to the east of eastern in Canada.

Edit: Also, there are comments made referring to me (or Hamilton Ontario, I presume), but the initial comments were made regarding Ontario, which is not (entirely) in the eastern timezone. And Shania Twain is from Windsor, which is not in eastern Ontario like Ottawa is.

Brian

Sherm
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Sherm »

seaborgium wrote:That LA Weekly article I read in college keeps on giving. Just as The Eagles were an instaget FJ in a David Skaar game in 2008 (I mentioned the article in that game's thread as well!), Shania Twain was in instaget for me thanks to that article. Even if the clue had said Canada instead of Ontario, I still would have gotten it right.

Did anyone else find the Hollywood Middle Initials category almost insultingly easy? I can't tell you much about David O. Selznick (cue Sage whooshing in), but I can certainly tell you his name. All you had to do in that category was to have heard of the people.

Here is the problem, and I mean this with all respect. After watching you on the show, its more than apparent that you have heard and retained the name of more people on this planet than is typical, and I don't mean typical of a human being. I mean typical of a micro-processor. Don't get me wrong, I hit 4/5 in the catagory. Clammed on Selznick, but I think I know the entertainment questions pretty well.

I think that guys on here like Roger, Joon and yourself find some things insultingly easy, that I do not see the same way as you. :)

BTW, I hope you are not offended by this post, because I am not making fun of you guys and it is meant as praise. The instant recall with some of you guys is just mind-blowing. Also, a HS teacher almost 30 years ago once told me one of the simplest, and most intelligent things I've ever heard. "A easy question is one YOU know the answer to, that doesn't make it is easy to anyone else."
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Sherm wrote:
seaborgium wrote: All you had to do in that category was to have heard of the people.
And buzz in faster than the other two players who had also heard of the people.

Luckily for me, a lot of my boards were ridiculously easy. My favorite example? Show me a picture of an enchilada and ask me what it is.

Still not giving back the money.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

heelsrule1988 wrote:
Good thing abut Winnipeg, we can consider ourselves in the west or the east. (However, if any Winnipegger hears you refer to him as an easterner, or his city being in Eastern Canada, he is contractually obligated to punch you in the mouth.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dhkendall wrote:
heelsrule1988 wrote:
Good thing abut Winnipeg, we can consider ourselves in the west or the east. (However, if any Winnipegger hears you refer to him as an easterner, or his city being in Eastern Canada, he is contractually obligated to punch you in the mouth.)
Yes, but my point was that when there is such a wide swath of land, separating it into simply east and west is, well, not sufficient. I wouldn't call Winnipeg western Canada any more than I'd call Ontario eastern Canada (and I'd never even entertain the thought of Winnipeg being eastern Canada, the CFL notwithstanding). And I most certainly would never refer to Windsor as eastern Canada. And I wouldn't base the definitions of east and west on timezones.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Good thing abut Winnipeg, we can consider ourselves in the west or the east. (However, if any Winnipegger hears you refer to him as an easterner, or his city being in Eastern Canada, he is contractually obligated to punch you in the mouth.)
Yes, but my point was that when there is such a wide swath of land, separating it into simply east and west is, well, not sufficient. I wouldn't call Winnipeg western Canada any more than I'd call Ontario eastern Canada (and I'd never even entertain the thought of Winnipeg being eastern Canada, the CFL notwithstanding). And I most certainly would never refer to Windsor as eastern Canada. And I wouldn't base the definitions of east and west on timezones.

Brian
I think, on the whole, academic exercises such as this are settled best by the residents therein. What do the majority of Ontarians refer to themselves as? How about Quebeckers (at least those that even think they are in Canada at all (thus excluding the separatists and those ordinary Quebeckers who have been fooled by all the French and the complete different-ness of the province to wonder what country they're in)). Most Manitobans would consider themselves westerners, as well as almost as many Winnipeggers (some might say central.) Considering that we're unequivocably a prairie province, and therefore linked with Alberta and Saskatchewan (similar provinces that are more definitely western), western it is here.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

bpmod wrote:I wouldn't call Winnipeg western Canada any more than I'd call Ontario eastern Canada (and I'd never even entertain the thought of Winnipeg being eastern Canada, the CFL notwithstanding).
The CFL AND the NHL!

Do I remember correctly that Alex made a comment on the reveal about the remarkable success that Canadian Female artsists have had? If so, it was interesting timing for such a remark as the new #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 comes from, yes, a Canadian Female artist. Alex obviously saw it coming.
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

gloriaclemente wrote:https://www.facebook.com/caesarspalace? ... 6872096538

David? Stu? You up for this?
I hope they appreciate my rendition of "Man! I Feel Like a Woman."
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Turd Ferguson wrote:Do I remember correctly that Alex made a comment on the reveal about the remarkable success that Canadian Female artsists have had? If so, it was interesting timing for such a remark as the new #1 song on the Billboard Hot 100 comes from, yes, a Canadian Female artist. Alex obviously saw it coming.
I had forgotten about this, but the Toughest FJ! thread reminded me.

In retrospect it seems clear that Alex indeed did foresee that this would be the summer of "Call Me Maybe", so threw out that little remark about Canadian female singers as a teaser. The song did hit #1 in Canada in February, so Alex's "peeps" back in Sudbury must have given him the heads up.
lolmango
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by lolmango »

I have a quick question about Jeopardy rules. When a contestant answers incorrectly and Alex says they are correct. Later in the round Alex corrects the contestant by saying they've made a mistake and the contestant is actually wrong. How much money is deducted?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

lolmango wrote:I have a quick question about Jeopardy rules. When a contestant answers incorrectly and Alex says they are correct. Later in the round Alex corrects the contestant by saying they've made a mistake and the contestant is actually wrong. How much money is deducted?
Twice the clue value.