FJs for the 6/11/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/11/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in "an upper room" (Check the box for either credited response or if you feel your guess would have ended up being credited as well)
78%
His multi-novel series is based on Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
56%
19th c. reports on horse races used this 2-word term to mean horses that were in the field but didn't finish high
54%
The bestselling album of all time by a female is a 20 million seller by this woman who started singing at age 8 in Ontario
24%
This nation independent since 1960 is the largest island in the world with French as one of its official languages
71%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
GEOGRAPHY BY THE BOOK $1200: Sherwood Anderson made his reputation with "Winesburg," this state
66%
SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $600: Othello calls her an "excellent wretch!"
73%
THE CRUSADES $2000: In 1190 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, known as this for his red beard, went crusading but drowned in a Turkish river
59%
I guessed "dark horse" for the Wednesday FJ clue.
32%
I guessed Celine Dion for the Thursday FJ clue.
47%

Total votes: 98

Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Re: FJs for the 6/11/12 week

Post by Magna »

This may be an academic question, but if J! gives an invalid clue (one with no correct response), would they credit any response, or only responses bearing some relationship to the clue? What about obviously wrong or joke responses? Arguably, someone faced with an unanswerable question might just give up.

For example, suppose the category was "John Milton" and the clue was "This poem's subtitle is The Modern Prometheus[/]." (There's no correct response to this.) I assume the judges would accept "Paradise Lost" or any other Milton poem, or "Frankenstein" (the true source of the subtitle). Would they also accept a WAG ("What is "Tarzan of the Apes"), a shout-out ("What is 'Hi Mom and Uncle Lou''?") or a blank ("What is ??")?
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Magna wrote:This may be an academic question, but if J! gives an invalid clue (one with no correct response), would they credit any response, or only responses bearing some relationship to the clue? What about obviously wrong or joke responses? Arguably, someone faced with an unanswerable question might just give up.

For example, suppose the category was "John Milton" and the clue was "This poem's subtitle is The Modern Prometheus[/]." (There's no correct response to this.) I assume the judges would accept "Paradise Lost" or any other Milton poem, or "Frankenstein" (the true source of the subtitle). Would they also accept a WAG ("What is "Tarzan of the Apes"), a shout-out ("What is 'Hi Mom and Uncle Lou''?") or a blank ("What is ??")?

I have a sneaking suspicion that if they had a FJ that was as off the mark as this one (which I suspect was taken care of before they started the next game; someone in the audience for this taping could tell us?) and actually impacted an outcome, they'd blow it up, and revert back to just before the commercial break with an alternate FJ clue. Since this one didn't impact the outcome, the folks just acted magnanimously and gave him the correct answer (and the cash).
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:

Monday - Jesus appears to disciples behind locked doors. The Wikipedia article on the Cenacle which Rafferty Barnes referred to in the daily thread backs this up.
Thursday - eliminated Celine with 99% confidence in about 2 seconds (not knowing anything about her political statements, I figured it was conceivable she could have performed as a child in Ontario, though highly unlikely given how terrible her English was for a long time even after she started recording in English.) Spent 28 seconds coming up with Anne Murray, Alanis Morrisette, and Sarah MacLachlan, settled on Alanis. You could've given me a week & I'd have never gotten Shania, for 2 reasons:
a) I always forget she's Canadian, but more importantly
b) I always forget she exists. She's somehow totally off my radar screen, though I do like some country music, and I did actually know the facts (just from paying attention to life) that she is indeed a very successful Canadian country singer. I might even recognize her. But I'd never come up with her. (Well, maybe if you had a Mark Twain TOM.) After the reveals were over I immediately remembered kd lang, Melissa Etheridge*, and Loreena McKennitt (my personal favorite Canadian female singer). Had I thought of them earlier I might have gone with Melissa - seemed like for awhile in the late 90s she was being played constantly on the radio.

I know next to nothing about Sherwood Anderson.
Very mad that the one Shakespeare question on the poll is the only one I missed - 4/5 in Shakespeare is quite good for me. I might have gotten Desdemona if I'd processed the letters "O T H E L L O" as Othello, rather than Hamlet... (I just did it again when reading it for this poll! WTF??)

* ETA - oops, see bpmod's correction below... The only thing worse than not knowing something is thinking you know something and it's wrong...
Last edited by debramc on Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Melissa might have been a good guess...

if
Spoiler
she were Canadian.
Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

bpmod wrote:Melissa might have been a good guess...

if
Spoiler
she were Canadian.
Brian
Ok, that's embarrassing. I honestly thought she was. Thanks for setting me straight on that. (Ow, no pun intended there, that was terrible!!)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

For the season:
FJ: 111-84
First third:46-29
Second third: 40-35
Extras: 57-60
TOC: 5-5
College: 4-6
Teachers: 5-5
Teen: 6-4
Power Players: 4-1
Longest FJ winning streak: 8 (active 1)
Longest FJ losing streak: 5
5/5:2
4/5:7
3/5:16
2/5:12
1/5:1
0/5:1

I said the Ascension on Monday so I'm counting it as wrong.

I thought about Twain but went with Dion and also had dark horse.