FJs for the 6/11/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/11/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Acts 1:13 says this event occurred in "an upper room" (Check the box for either credited response or if you feel your guess would have ended up being credited as well)
78%
His multi-novel series is based on Robert Browning's poem "Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came"
56%
19th c. reports on horse races used this 2-word term to mean horses that were in the field but didn't finish high
54%
The bestselling album of all time by a female is a 20 million seller by this woman who started singing at age 8 in Ontario
24%
This nation independent since 1960 is the largest island in the world with French as one of its official languages
71%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
5%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
GEOGRAPHY BY THE BOOK $1200: Sherwood Anderson made his reputation with "Winesburg," this state
66%
SHAKESPEARE'S WOMEN $600: Othello calls her an "excellent wretch!"
73%
THE CRUSADES $2000: In 1190 Holy Roman Emperor Frederick I, known as this for his red beard, went crusading but drowned in a Turkish river
59%
I guessed "dark horse" for the Wednesday FJ clue.
32%
I guessed Celine Dion for the Thursday FJ clue.
47%

Total votes: 98

bpmod
Rank

Re: FJs for the 6/11/12 week

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:Anyway, I couldn't have guessed Twain if you spotted me 'Mark.' You want I should just have left it blank?
Blank would have been better than as good as saying Celine when the key word referred to Canada.

Brian
Which flies in the face of our repeated advice of "never leave FJ blank"
But that's why I scratched out better than and replaced it with as good as. A blank response is as good as a response of California when the category is "States that start with T", for instance. If there is something in the clue (or category) that specifically eliminates your response, then (as in my would-be guess of Haiti on Friday or your Immacualte Conception on Monday) it doesn't do you any good to put it in. I am making a distinction between a very very unlikely, but remotely possible response and one that is not possible at all.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:
bpmod wrote: Blank would have been better than as good as saying Celine when the key word referred to Canada.

Brian
Which flies in the face of our repeated advice of "never leave FJ blank"
But that's why I scratched out better than and replaced it with as good as. A blank response is as good as a response of California when the category is "States that start with T", for instance. If there is something in the clue (or category) that specifically eliminates your response, then (as in my would-be guess of Haiti on Friday or your Immacualte Conception on Monday) it doesn't do you any good to put it in. I am making a distinction between a very very unlikely, but remotely possible response and one that is not possible at all.

Brian
Is the entire point of this bizarre argument that you are saying that Celine Dion is not Canadian? Did you make a mistake and intend to say that Ontario was the key word, rather than Canada? Or is this your strange way of saying that Quebec is not actually Canada, so therefore Celine Dion is not a Canadian singer?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:Is the entire point of this bizarre argument that you are saying that Celine Dion is not Canadian? Did you make a mistake and intend to say that Ontario was the key word, rather than Canada? Or is this your strange way of saying that Quebec is not actually Canada, so therefore Celine Dion is not a Canadian singer?
No. I am saying that Celine Dion and others of her ilk say that Quebec is not part of Canada, and that she is not Canadian. That is why I quoted her in my very first post on the subject back in the daily recap thread. I have never heard a resident of Ontario say the words "I am not Canadian; I am Quebecois".

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:Is the entire point of this bizarre argument that you are saying that Celine Dion is not Canadian? Did you make a mistake and intend to say that Ontario was the key word, rather than Canada? Or is this your strange way of saying that Quebec is not actually Canada, so therefore Celine Dion is not a Canadian singer?
No. I am saying that Celine Dion and others of her ilk say that Quebec is not part of Canada, and that she is not Canadian. That is why I quoted her in my very first post on the subject back in the daily recap thread. I have never heard a resident of Ontario say the words "I am not Canadian; I am Quebecois".

Brian
Okay, then I'll answer the question you asked in your very first post in this thread: "Why did so many people ignore the same key word in the clue?" The answer is "They didn't." Had every voter in this thread have had the same knowledge you did, that Celine Dion claims not to be Canadian because she is from Quebec, then I highly doubt if many of them would have still given that as a response. Lacking knowledge of that particular tidbit, some people have said that they suspected that Celine Dion was from Quebec rather than Ontario, due to either her French accent and/or her French language singing history. However, if the alternative responses of Shania Twain and/or Alanis Morissette didn't come to someone within the 30 seconds allowed, then they were likely to still think of Celine Dion as a better response than say, Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, whom they were fairly certain were American. Some have suggested that maybe Celine was born in Quebec but moved to Ontario as a child, or maybe moved to Ontario in order to find singing work. Or maybe she was born in Ontario but moved to Quebec at age 9, early enough to still develop her French accent and to identify herself as a Quebecer.

The bottom line is, just because you knew that Celine Dion was a ridiculous response to a clue asking for someone who started singing in Ontario doesn't mean that everyone else knew that. Therefore saying that so many people "ignored the same key word in the clue" is just a very strange statement.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

bpmod wrote: No. I am saying that Celine Dion and others of her ilk say that Quebec is not part of Canada, and that she is not Canadian. That is why I quoted her in my very first post on the subject back in the daily recap thread. I have never heard a resident of Ontario say the words "I am not Canadian; I am Quebecois".

Brian
Cite where she ever said that.

It seems you hate French Canadians, Brian. So much for liberal tolerance and celebrating diversity.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Vanya wrote:
bpmod wrote: No. I am saying that Celine Dion and others of her ilk say that Quebec is not part of Canada, and that she is not Canadian. That is why I quoted her in my very first post on the subject back in the daily recap thread. I have never heard a resident of Ontario say the words "I am not Canadian; I am Quebecois".

Brian
It seems you hate French Canadians, Brian. So much for liberal tolerance and celebrating diversity.
Where in the h*** would you ever come up with that? I hate the separatist movement and I make no apologies for that. I do not hate Freanch Canadians or any individual French Canadian, of whom I have several friends and relatives.

Brian

MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

bpmod wrote:

Brian
Citation needed.
davey

Post by davey »

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Okay, then I'll answer the question you asked in your very first post in this thread: "Why did so many people ignore the same key word in the clue?" The answer is "They didn't." Had every voter in this thread have had the same knowledge you did, that Celine Dion claims not to be Canadian because she is from Quebec, then I highly doubt if many of them would have still given that as a response. Lacking knowledge of that particular tidbit, some people have said that they suspected that Celine Dion was from Quebec rather than Ontario, due to either her French accent and/or her French language singing history. However, if the alternative responses of Shania Twain and/or Alanis Morissette didn't come to someone within the 30 seconds allowed, then they were likely to still think of Celine Dion as a better response than say, Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey, whom they were fairly certain were American. Some have suggested that maybe Celine was born in Quebec but moved to Ontario as a child, or maybe moved to Ontario in order to find singing work. Or maybe she was born in Ontario but moved to Quebec at age 9, early enough to still develop her French accent and to identify herself as a Quebecer.

The bottom line is, just because you knew that Celine Dion was a ridiculous response to a clue asking for someone who started singing in Ontario doesn't mean that everyone else knew that. Therefore saying that so many people "ignored the same key word in the clue" is just a very strange statement.
In 1990, Celine Dion, already a Quebec singing phenomenon, was given an award by a Quebec music industry group as Anglophone Artist of the Year, after she brought out her first English record. She refused the award, saying (as translated by the Montreal Gazette) that she was "not an Anglophone artist," but "Quebecoise." This has been taken as a political statement by some. The 54% of us in the poll so far who gave Dion as a response were in grave ignorance of this. Sorry, 1990 was probably around the time my local public radio station dropped "As It Happens" from the lineup...

http://www.cjc-online.ca/index.php/jour ... /1124/1031
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I went with Celine Dion for Thursday, though it didn't sound right to me, and Mozambique for Friday. Everything else I got right.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

:mrgreen: :oops: :evil: :( :(
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

M: The Last Supper saves me from having to click The Box of Shame. :mrgreen:

T: "Robert Browning," "Childe" and "Roland" put me too far into a Merry-Olde-England mindset; went with T. H. White.
My alas,-too-infrequently-reviewed flashcard for Dark Tower series -> Stephen King helpethed me not. :oops:

W: What a pointless FJ!: Let's see - an also-ran is someone who ... also ... ran.
Terms that mean literally what they say they mean (unlike, e.g., dark horse [my response] candidate or Blue Dog Democrat and Log Cabin Republican [two of my precalls]) do not require explanatory backstories, nor do they make for entertaining television viewing (IMHO, as ever).

Th: Ontairo pointed away from Celine Dion, as she is so obviously Frenchifried Frenchified, but didn't point me (or others, apparently) clearly enough towards Shania Twain; I went with Joni Mitchell (Saskatchewan-raised and sales closer to 2 than 20 million).

F: Date of independence pointed away from Haiti. Madagascar after the buzzer (wasn't explicitly aware of a France-Madagascar connection).
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
no on dark horse, yes on Quebecois with face like horse

Wed. I wrote front-runner, then added also-ran as time ran down but crossed it out, the latest in a long series of bad 50-50-90 guesses. The hyphens made me doubt both answers.
Thu. was pretty sure Celine wasn't right, but the right answer wasn't coming to me... a shame as I'm an admirer of Ms. Twain.
In and out of the pool four times
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

:mrgreen: (said "selection of Matthias," counting it) :x :mrgreen: :x (went with Alanis Morissette) :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: :x :x
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Surprised that so far 14 people recorded a miss for Monday's question - considering how open-ended it turned out to be (and how many concievable right answers have been mentioned so far), I thought it'd be pretty much a "free space".
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

dhkendall wrote:Surprised that so far 14 people recorded a miss for Monday's question - considering how open-ended it turned out to be (and how many concievable right answers have been mentioned so far), I thought it'd be pretty much a "free space".
Since I did say something plausible about Jesus meeting the disciples, I took the invitation making it a very rare 5/5 for me. Fortunate guesswork two days. 0/3 on the extras, should have at least gotten Barbarossa off the tip of my tongue.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen:

Only once this week, I played FJ off the daily thread here. Thursday. Oh, Canadian singer, Celine Dion, I said, giving it about 2 seconds thought before I hit the spoiler button. Would I have given it more thought with a full 30 seconds? Yes. Would that have given me time--and perspicacity--to come up with an Ontarian whose star has waned of late? Not so sure; likely not. Though it's hard to think of another Ontarian I might have thought of; Alanis Morisette might have beguiled--had I given this clue its due application. Anyhow, I wish I had just watched the show as usual. It's fail.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

In all seriousness, given that the question was fundamentally flawed - what they contemplated as the answer isn't really, and what they also took isn't really, either - then I think everyone should be given a de facto correct for Monday. Had the situation been dicier they would have thrown the question out, and I wonder what the thought process was that left them keeping it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Knew it wasn't Celine Dion, but no way to get Shania Twain.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

dhkendall wrote:Surprised that so far 14 people recorded a miss for Monday's question - considering how open-ended it turned out to be (and how many concievable right answers have been mentioned so far), I thought it'd be pretty much a "free space".
My thinking was "Last Supper, maybe? No, that would've been in the Gospels. Acts? When was that? Oh well, I got nothing". This would have been a case where saying something (even if you "know" it's wrong) would've been better than having nothing. A strange week, I had three insta-gets in the ones with the lowest get rate and missed the other two.

I obviously should have gotten Madagascar. I would assume that one would say that the big Canadian Islands have French as one of their official languages, and there aren't many islands that are bigger than them (and the others are obviously non-French, so Madagascar would be the only "reasonable" possiblity from that list). I'm a bit surprised nobody came to it that way. I had memorized the largest islands list pre-taping (one of many things I've found that I have since forgotten) so I'm pretty sure I'd have gotten that clue on stage.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ok, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to demonstrate how MY answer's right! :mrgreen:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
Ok, your mission, if you choose to accept it, is to demonstrate how MY answer's right! :mrgreen:
I thought that that's why dhkendall chose that particular word.

Brian