Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Re: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Fishercat wrote:I feel dumb for not getting FJ. For some reason, I got stuck on St. Louis as a multi-named World Fair site and never got out of it. Love that clue.
Spaceman Spiff wrote:... For some reason, I got focused on the fabric and misread it as the first two letters, first with denim (De Niems, France) and Madras (India), but knew they never had a World Fair. Once I reread the clue, realized it was a two-word town; first went with St. Louis (what fabric starts with SL.....?) and then nylon popped out. It made sense, with the 1938 NY Fair being about the time nylon came out.
After an instaget on nylon, I wondered what other combinations there might be. I thought of St. Louis (a two-word town) and came up with muslin. (The clue didn't state that the fabric name had to start with the city's initials.) But, of course, muslin pre-dates 1904.
DBear wrote:"Fixed charge" also had me thinking of ion...
Funny. "Fixed charge" had me thinking of "fee", which quickly lead me to "rate", but I think "irate" was lurking in the back of my mind as the "angry" synonym anyway.
OCSam
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Turd Ferguson wrote:This sounds a bit more "relaxing" than what happened last year, where the champion did a "Winner's Circle" interview onstage after each game.

Talk of bringing multiple outfits always reminds me of the episode of "Our House" where Wilford Brimley's character appeared on a game show (with Shannen Doherty's character). IIRC, the curmudgeon was asked to bring five outfits, so he brought five identical suits. I did wonder what might happen if someone were to do that for a J! taping, but certainly wasn't going to try it myself!
Oddly enough, I had two checked blazers that were a bit similar in color, along with two shirts that were fairly similar as well, which I wore in Games 1 and 3. When I taped my #2 Winner's Circle interview, there was a technical glitch and they made me do #2 again after Game 3. For a while, I had three photos on the WC page in what appeared to be identical outfits.

The following week, I went with Lucky Outfit #1 again, which John Lauderdale negged for interfering with the HD cameras.*

So I have Turd and John to thank for saving me from going 4 for 4 (with a GlassySquid interlude).

- HackenTweed

* AFAIK, there is no truth to the rumor I started about Turd slipping John $20 Canadian during rehearsal.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Re: the Winner's Circle segments, I think they just do a single one once the champion's run has ended now instead of after every game. The champ does record a new hometown howdy before retreating to the green room, though. I actually miss the written blog posts by champions. Those, I thought, were more interesting and varied and gave a much greater insight into the experience than the sort of stilted interviews with the silent, disembodied interrogator that they have now...
CAPS LOCK
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CAPS LOCK »

OrangeSAM wrote: Funny. "Fixed charge" had me thinking of "fee", which quickly lead me to "rate", but I think "irate" was lurking in the back of my mind as the "angry" synonym anyway.
I guess I'm the only one who thought "fixed charge" referred to an explosive device? I was so far off, thinking about Semtex, C4, TNT... I wasn't even close to circling the vicinity of the right answer.
-----Live by the signaling device, die by the signaling device.-----
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Woppy T wrote:During one of the Italian fod clues, the Clue Clue person said "don't be afraid to give us the full name," which I took to mean "we need the whole name." Contestant gave partial name and Alex filled in the rest. Anyone else think this was not OK? I guess the strict wording of the clue gave the contestant the option.
More than that, I didn't even know gnocchi had a "full name," and I had gnocchi for dinner last week. Just a needlessly confusing way for them to approach the question.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:Am I the only one on the planet that knows that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wasn't Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when he won his first MVP award? He was still Lew Alcindor at that point.

He was Kareem Abdul-Jabbar for his next two with the Bucks, though...
He's still Lew Alcindor to me. "His mamma call him Clay, imma call him Clay."
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

CAPS LOCK wrote:
OrangeSAM wrote: Funny. "Fixed charge" had me thinking of "fee", which quickly lead me to "rate", but I think "irate" was lurking in the back of my mind as the "angry" synonym anyway.
I guess I'm the only one who thought "fixed charge" referred to an explosive device? I was so far off, thinking about Semtex, C4, TNT... I wasn't even close to circling the vicinity of the right answer.
These questions are so strange, as they really aren't like other questions on the show. Most work on a Pavlovian level, but as what happened to you shows, the Pavlovian response led you astray, and there wasn't enough time to get the answer right. You, of course, know what "irate" means, and so did the three contestants, so it seems like a bad question if a whole bunch of people can't pick up on something they actually know quite well.

It's strange, these questions are based on word association, yet the writers sometimes don't get that words mean different things... even as they are churning out a category about words with double meanings.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The hard thing about these word play categories is that if you come up with an alternate definition of one of the words, there is no way to get the correct response because you can't rhyme it or add a letter that makes sense for the whole clue.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

mswanson wrote:Re: the Winner's Circle segments, I think they just do a single one once the champion's run has ended now instead of after every game. The champ does record a new hometown howdy before retreating to the green room, though. I actually miss the written blog posts by champions. Those, I thought, were more interesting and varied and gave a much greater insight into the experience than the sort of stilted interviews with the silent, disembodied interrogator that they have now...
Grab everyone from your what?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Austin Powers wrote:
OntarioQuizzer wrote:Am I the only one on the planet that knows that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wasn't Kareem Abdul-Jabbar when he won his first MVP award? He was still Lew Alcindor at that point.

My point was the the clue, as given, was wrong, as the 1971-72 NBA MVP was not named Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that season.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:

My point was the the clue, as given, was wrong, as the 1971-72 NBA MVP was not named Kareem Abdul-Jabbar that season.
Who won the Light Heavyweight gold in the 1960 Summer Olympics? If the question asks about Courteney Cox, should it specify Cox-Arquette if it refers to the years she was married to that bozo? I mean, I think we knew who the show was referring to, and that's the important thing.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Austin Powers wrote:
Woppy T wrote:During one of the Italian fod clues, the Clue Clue person said "don't be afraid to give us the full name," which I took to mean "we need the whole name." Contestant gave partial name and Alex filled in the rest. Anyone else think this was not OK? I guess the strict wording of the clue gave the contestant the option.
More than that, I didn't even know gnocchi had a "full name," and I had gnocchi for dinner last week. Just a needlessly confusing way for them to approach the question.
I was about to answer "gnocchi," until that "full name" business threw me off. Since I couldn't think what full name was associated with gnocchi, I figured it must be something else besides gnocchi that I was looking at.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Instaget on nylon for me as well. There's a myth that it was named for New York and London, which if true would be logical because it was introduced early in WWII and was an effective substitute for silk. I'm guessing that myth inspired the clue - but it also made the correct response jump out at me.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

Ooh, I have my screenshot's of Justin's Season 28 appearances so I can mention exactly how he dealt with the clothes situation.

Monday -- white shirt, blue tie
Tuesday -- white shirt, green sweater
Wednesday -- white shirt, red tie
Thursday -- tan shirt, blue tie
Friday -- tan shirt, green sweater

So he was able to make five different outfits out of mixing and matching just five clothing items.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

kristinsausville wrote:Ooh, I have my screenshot's of Justin's Season 28 appearances so I can mention exactly how he dealt with the clothes situation.

So he was able to make five different outfits out of mixing and matching just five clothing items.
I happened to be at that days taping, and as I recall, the PTB were giving Justin some grief about the color scheme of his tie or somethig. When they pressed him about the issue he replied, "It's what my wife told me to wear."
Le Flaneur
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

LeFlaneur wrote:
kristinsausville wrote:Ooh, I have my screenshot's of Justin's Season 28 appearances so I can mention exactly how he dealt with the clothes situation.

I happened to be at that days taping, and as I recall, the PTB were giving Justin some grief about the color scheme of his tie or somethig. When they pressed him about the issue he replied, "It's what my wife told me to wear."
Why did I stick an apostrophe in "screenshots"? That's embarrassing.

That's nice to hear though. ;) I remember packing with him -- we were working with a limited, immediately-post-residency wardrobe and I vetoed a fair amount of it, so he didn't have tons of options.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I couldn't make heads or tails of American Yearbook for $1,000. Very confusing wording.

Crimson & Clover seemed way, way undervalued at $200 IMO.

City on the Water was a mess. It would've been less so if Alex would just <Nostalgia Critic>EXPLAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!</NC> (Also — ocean, bay, river, river, lake. The specificity was all over the place.)

Is it really that well known that mozzarella is traditionally made from buffalo milk? New to me.

(And before you ask, I did get margherita pizza. I've seen the California Pizza Kitchen kind many times in the supermarket. I was also going to go with gnocchi on $800, but the "full name" thing threw me, and didn't want to take a chance on gelateria since I'd already had two other WAGs blow up in my face.)

Um… chiffon, gingham, seersucker… screw it, I'll try cities. Paris, Chicago, St. Louis… nope, nothing. Couldn't come up with a guess, as usual.

For the 9001st time, I think way, way, way, WAY too hard on a clue. I set myself up for Liederkranz and get American.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Is it really that well known that mozzarella is traditionally made from buffalo milk? New to me.
Buffalo mozzarella is pretty common at hoity-toity food places...though if someone asked I would have guessed it was an American development, since I didn't know they had buffalo in Italy.
Last edited by davey on Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

Magna wrote:I was about to answer "gnocchi," until that "full name" business threw me off. Since I couldn't think what full name was associated with gnocchi, I figured it must be something else besides gnocchi that I was looking at.
It didn't help that those were some seriously gross looking gnocchi. Why were they so big?

Poor D Rose.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Turd Ferguson wrote: Talk of bringing multiple outfits always reminds me of the episode of "Our House" where Wilford Brimley's character appeared on a game show (with Shannen Doherty's character). IIRC, the curmudgeon was asked to bring five outfits, so he brought five identical suits. I did wonder what might happen if someone were to do that for a J! taping, but certainly wasn't going to try it myself!
I could see myself doing that. My work ensemble is "polo shirt + black khakis." Just make one outfit that works, copy, paste. None of this "does this work with this??! Do my shoes match my belt?!!!" panicking. Just grab it and go, np.

Wasn't a fan of the water one...at least, not when rivers were concerned. "Wait, which Great Lake is Montreal on?...it isn't...but..."

Got nylon off of NY, thought it'd be wrong because isn't it "New York City"?...also Men In Black landing site :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)