Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6403, 2012-06-20

David Menchaca game 5.

CONTESTANTS
Austin Baird, a start-up counsel from Provo, Utah
Marjorie Parker, a stay-at-home mom and freelance designer from Austin, Texas
David Menchaca, a law student originally from Long Beach, California (whose 4-day cash winnings total $91,503)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And welcome, ladies and gentlemen. As you know, breaking through the $100,000 mark in winnings on "Jeopardy!" is quite an accomplishment. And right now, David is less than $10,000 away from that $100,000 mark. Marjorie and Austin are here to stop him. Good luck, players. Here comes the Jeopardy! Round for you. The clues are worth from $200 to $1,000 in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
UNOFFICIAL STATE NICKNAMES (5/5)
ONE NIGHT WHEN I COULDN'T SLEEP... (5/5)
CLASSICAL MUSIC (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
HERSHEY'S (5/5) (Alex: All right!)
HOW DO YOU GET "BY"? (5/5)
I MANAGE (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Marjorie: 10 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W
Austin: 7 R (including 2 rebounds), 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. David had $2,600, Marjorie had $1,000, and Austin was at $800. David wagered $1,000.

CLASSICAL MUSIC $1000: In 1696 John Blow, a great British composer of this musical era, wrote an ode on the death of another, Henry Purcell

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
David: $4,800
Marjorie: $1,800
Austin: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Austin Baird from Provo, Utah, got engaged in an unusual way.

Austin: I did. I'm lucky enough to be dating the most amazing girl I know, and she was willing to jump off of a 140-foot arch, take an 80-foot drop, swing about 200 feet. Uh, when she finished swinging, I repelled down to her, we were both about 20 feet off the ground, proposed. After she finished being surprised and finished crying, then she said "yes."

Alex: The only way you could have topped that is if you had jumped at the same time, and proposed on the way down.

Austin: Next time--oh!

Alex: Hey.

Austin: [to the camera] Leslie, I'm kidding. I'm kidding.

Alex: I did it.

Alex: Marjorie Parker, stay-at-home mom from Austin, Texas who has a treasured possession, which is rather large.

Marjorie: Yes, I have a 1963 Cadillac that was my very first car.

Alex: It's a long car. It would not fit in most garages.

Marjorie: No, it's actually longer than a Chevy Suburban.

Alex: Yeah.

Marjorie: And it takes a lot of gas, too.

Alex: But that's okay. They're fun to have.

Marjorie: Yeah.

Alex: David Menchaca is our champion. Before he came on our program, he, uh, promised his fellow law students that if he won, he would do what?

David: I would, uh, buy everyone at the viewing party a drink.

Alex: Okay.

David: But I didn't tell them what kind of drink.

[Laughter]

David: And they don't know whether or not they're getting it yet, so...

Alex: You've won $91,000 up to today. You can afford it.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
I MANAGE $600: It wasn't Tinker or Evers but this man who led the Cubs to consecutive World Series wins in 1907 & '08

I MANAGE $800: Cito Gaston took this north of the border team to consecutive titles in 1992 & '93

I MANAGE $1000: In every year but one from 1991 to 2005, he led the Atlanta Braves to division crowns
(Marjorie: Who is David Justice?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now, Marjorie.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
David: $6,800
Marjorie: $3,200
Austin: $2,600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS (3/5)
1-WORD FILM QUOTES (5/5) (Alex: You give me the film.)
ZEUS YOUR DADDY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A BIT OF BRIT LIT (3/5)
COMPLETE THE ANIMAL PHRASE (3/5)
FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
David: 14 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Austin: 7 R, 1 W
Marjorie: 2 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
David snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. David had $10,800, Marjorie had $1,200, and Austin was at $8,200. David wagered $2,500.

ZEUS YOUR DADDY $1200: Honey, its twins! These 2 guys were often called the Dioscuri, meaning "the sons of Zeus" (but one may have had another dad)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marjorie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 27th clue. David had $20,900, Marjorie had $1,600, and Austin was at $9,400. Marjorie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA $1200: (First Lady Michelle Obama presents the clue.) Speaking on opening night of the 2008 Democratic Convention, I noted that our meeting marked the 88th anniversary of women's suffrage & the 45th of this immortal & profoundly American speech
(Alex: Say something.)
(Marjorie: Martin Luther King's speech on the Washington Monument? Or...)
(Alex: Oh, gosh. [*], [*] speech. You were so close. Sorry we can't give it to you, though.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS $1600: The League dug freshwater wells in the Third World & tried to eradicate this, aka Hansen's disease
(Marjorie: What is cholera?)

THE LEAGUE OF NATIONS $1200: In a rare success, the League decided in 1921 that the Aland Islands belonged to this country, not Sweden
(Marjorie: What is Norway?)

A BIT OF BRIT LIT $400: She dedicated "Jane Eyre" to fellow author William Makepeace Thackeray
(Austin: Who is Austen?)
(Marjorie: Who is Blon--Brontë? Elizabeth... Elizabeth Brontë.)
(David: Who is Emily Brontë?)

A BIT OF BRIT LIT $2000: He was the "venerable" early scholar who wrote "The Ecclesiastical History of the English People"

COMPLETE THE ANIMAL PHRASE $1600: "One ___ does not make a summer"

COMPLETE THE ANIMAL PHRASE $2000: "Strain at a gnat and swallow a ___"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
David: $23,300 (lock game)
Austin: $11,000
Marjorie: $0

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: Marjorie has no money, so we have to say good-bye to her. Austin and David in the Final, and before we reveal the category, I do want to thank, on behalf of all of us here at "Jeopardy!", the First Lady Michelle Obama. It's not very often you get a first lady to do clues for "Jeopardy!" and to do them so well.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
2011 MUSICMAKERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place.
David: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $1,299 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Austin: You've no hope of catching up... unless David does something stupid. So risk as much as $10,999; you needn't worry about falling into third place.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
According to Billboard, the top 2 music artists of 2011 were these single-named singers, neither born in the U.S.

FINAL SCORES
Austin: $11,000 + $5,500 = $16,500 (Who are Adele + Rihanna?) (2nd place: $2,000)
David: $23,300 + $700 = $24,000 (Who are Rhianna & Adele?) (5-day champion: $115,503)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $11,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
David: $22,000, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Austin: $11,000, 14 R, 3 W
Marjorie: $1,600, 12 R, 6 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $34,600

BATTING AVERAGES
David: 25/60 = .417
Austin: 15/58 = .259
Marjorie: 12/59 = .203
Team: 52/63 = .825

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CLASSICAL MUSIC $200: J.S. Bach played a mean violin but preferred this instrument with a slightly longer body & slightly shorter name
(David: What is the organ?)

UNOFFICIAL STATE NICKNAMES $400: "The Highest State"
(Austin: What is Alaska?)

CLASSICAL MUSIC $800: (Listen.) You can hear why Beethoven's 1806 sonata has this Italian nickname containing the word "passion"

ONE NIGHT WHEN I COULDN'T SLEEP... $600: 1:58: Took my dog for a walk; he's this breed--see why I named him Michelin Man?

HOW DO YOU GET "BY"? $1000: Found before "account", this term originated with announcers who described each punch in a boxing match
(Marjorie: What is a play-by-play?)

I MANAGE $400: In 1982 this Dodger skipper said Kurt Bevacqua "couldn't hit water if he fell out of a...boat"
(Austin: Who is Yogi Berra?)

HERSHEY'S $200: The milk chocolate Hershey bar was introduced in 1900; a version that added these came 8 years later
(Austin: What are nuts?)
(Alex: Nuts--be more specific.)

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA $400: (First Lady Michelle Obama presents the clue.) Campaigning in 2008, I learned about problems of military families from jobs & education to wellness; later, I began the Joining Forces initiative to highlight the issues along with this woman whose son is in the Delaware Army National Guard

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA $800: (First Lady Michelle Obama presents the clue.) We've tried to increase the number of visitors to the White House, make it more open & ensure that it's truly this house, a term used since the Jefferson Administration to show to whom it really belongs

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA $1600: (First Lady Michelle Obama presents the clue.) Bo, the First Dog, is this breed that has a reputation for being hypoallergenic, which works well for our family, since our daughter Malia is allergic to dogs

FIRST LADY MICHELLE OBAMA $2000: (First Lady Michelle Obama presents the clue.) One of the happiest times of my life was founding the Chicago branch of Public Allies, which develops young leaders; it was one of the 1st efforts under this federal volunteerism program created in 1993

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Baroque era
Frank Chance
the Toronto Blue Jays
Bobby Cox
Castor & Pollux
I Have a Dream
leprosy
Finland
Charlotte Brontë
the Venerable Bede
swallow
camel
Adele & Rihanna
a viola
Colorado
the Appassionata
a shar-pei
a blow-by-blow
Tommy Lasorda
almonds
(Jill) Biden
the people's house
a Portuguese water dog
AmeriCorps
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

2011 Musicmakers
According to Billboard, the top 2 music artists of 2011 were these single-named singers, neither born in the U.S.
Spoiler
Who are Adela and Rihanna?

David Menchaca: $23,300+$700=$24,000...now a 5-day champion with $115,503
Austin Baird: $11,000+$5,500=$16,500
Marjorie Parker: $0
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I would have thought Alaska was the Highest State, but I've been to Boulder so I can see why Colorado would get that nickname.

So another not particularly difficult sports category proves difficult for the second straight day.

I appreciated how the middle lady would barge in with an answer when no one else would touch it, but she was kinda like a hurricane in the round with all the misspoken words and wrong answers, leaving a big mess everywhere. I knew when she got the DD it was probably over for the other dude.

I do think the rock climbin' lookin' guy at the end should have gone for the top of the board once the lock was off, but as it turns out all the clues were revealed anyway.

Partisan politics aside, I think we can agree that Michelle Obama is not quite Oprah-bad at reading but it was still pretty painful.

On FJ I almost went with Drake, but then Adele hit me. And boy you don't want Adele hitting you.

Some of the animal quotes were made up, I suspect.
Last edited by Austin Powers on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm sure the official board will be full of whiners tonight for the First Lady category.

How do you not get Chance when spotted Tinker and Evers?

Had never heard of the bottom two animal quotes.

Zero guess for FJ.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

A full, slooooow, wordy video category, and not a single LTaM warning. *grumble grumble*

Before FJ, I rattled off as many 2011 musicians as I could (an embarrassingly short list), and the first four names were Lady Gaga, Adele, Justin Bieber, and Rihanna. So yeah, instaget.

I'm gonna wait a few hours and swing by the Sony boards. I'm sure much hilarity will have ensued.

Elizabeth Bronte? Rough game for Marjorie. I was practically screaming 'nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!' when she went TDD, but she didn't hear me in the past.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Partisan politics aside, I think we can agree that Michelle Obama is not quite Oprah-bad at reading but it was still pretty painful.
*nod* I think her reading of the Jill Biden clue is still going on.
xxaaaxx wrote:Before FJ, I rattled off as many 2011 musicians as I could (an embarrassingly short list), and the first four names were Lady Gaga, Adele, Justin Bieber, and Rihanna. So yeah, instaget.
Guess which two of those four I thought of. :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Austin Powers wrote: So another not particularly difficult sports category proves difficult for the second straight day.
I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
Austin Powers wrote: Some of the animal quotes were made up, I suspect.
econgator wrote:Had never heard of the bottom two animal quotes.
One was a Bible quote, the other was from Aristotle. I wonder if either phrase had been uttered since. I've never heard of them either.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I also waffled on Drake (hooray Canada) but settled on Rihanna.

As a big baseball fan I was screaming at the TV during the entire sports category.

I'm a Democrat but man was that Obama category free White House PR or what?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
ACW

Post by ACW »

Got Adele instantly; drew a blank on Rihanna :oops:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
They never mentioned anything about which sport in the clue. It was something like, Cito Gaston took this North of the Border team to two consecutive titles, so I can understand the hesitation, thinking it might be hockey or the NBA, as well as MLB.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Adele was an instant get for FJ since she is the most overplayed artist ever, but I had no idea on the other one and guessed Sade just to have something.

I have enjoyed watching David. He has gone through fairly long periods without ringing in but he has had some good gets and hasn't left a whole lot of money on the board that has left me shaking my head. I wouldn't bet on him to beat Jason Keller or Dave Leach but I do think that he will do at least okay in the ToC.
alamble

Post by alamble »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
They never mentioned anything about which sport in the clue. It was something like, Cito Gaston took this team North of the Border to two consecutive titles, so I can understand the hesitation, thinking it might be hockey or the NBA, as well as MLB.
Remember the category - "I Manage" - baseball is the only pro sport in which the leader of the team is referred to as a manager.
elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt »

alamble wrote:
econgator wrote:
They never mentioned anything about which sport in the clue. It was something like, Cito Gaston took this team North of the Border to two consecutive titles, so I can understand the hesitation, thinking it might be hockey or the NBA, as well as MLB.
Remember the category - "I Manage" - baseball is the only pro sport in which the leader of the team is referred to as a manager.
I might be mistaken, but I thought they also said "World Series". But, either way, my only thought was on baseball, and I don't seem to remember the Expos doing well any recent season except during the ill-fated '94 season.
davey

Post by davey »

xxaaaxx wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: So another not particularly difficult sports category proves difficult for the second straight day.
I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
Austin Powers wrote: Some of the animal quotes were made up, I suspect.
econgator wrote:Had never heard of the bottom two animal quotes.
One was a Bible quote, the other was from Aristotle. I wonder if either phrase had been uttered since. I've never heard of them either.
I was familiar with "One swallow does not make a summer" but I never really thought about what it meant....Did anyone else think of "...a long-tailed bobcat...Many fewer hits on Google than "cat." but some...

Two pop music FJs in less than a week? Yikes! I suppose this was more obvious than the last one, but you couldn't tell it by me...
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

alamble wrote:
econgator wrote:
Also, the two previous questions had been about baseball. And also there were no Toronto Raptors (or Grizzlies) then.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

No guess on FJ, knew that when I saw the category.

I also said Alaska for the state, but Colorado does have the highest average elevation of all the states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highest_State

Alaska doesn't crack the top ten on that list, but their long coastline probably hurts them there.

Yogi Berra managing the Dodger? David Justice the Braves? No guess on the only Canadian team in MLB? I'll give them a pass on Chance, but geesh. Obviously they aren't big baseball fans.

Had I been the champ, I'd have gone DD hunting in the Obama category to protect my lock from the other guy. Then I'd have kicked myself for not making it a true DD on the King speech.

Agree with everyone else on Mrs. Obama's clue reading. Did Alex really need to insult our intelligence by saying how well she did?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Congratulations again, David. That first name seems to be pretty lucky on Jeopardy.

Me? Came up with Adele, then fished around and came up with ... Usher. No idea if he was born in the U.S. or not.

As for Marjorie, you get the DD near the end of the round, time is almost up, you have no chance to win, why would you make it a true DD and risk knocking yourself out for FJ? Save $100 or something. Sigh.

If people come on here just to whine about the First Lady, I'm gonna delete 'em. Let that be a warning.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote:I'm sure the official board will be full of whiners tonight for the First Lady category.

How do you not get Chance when spotted Tinker and Evers?
Well, you might not have been alive in 1908?

But seriously, if you aren't willing to guess at a clue asking for a north of the border baseball team that won 2 titles in the last 20 years, you aren't going to know Tinkers to Evers to Chance. As for your comment that the clue didn't specify that it was a baseball team, the whole category was about baseball managers, although granted the first clue didn't give any clue as to who Danny Ozark was, and that is a pretty darn obscure name in 2012 for a $200 clue, even if you didn't have to know anything about who he was to correctly identify his Yogi Berra-esque Watergate/Waterloo quote. Also, baseball is the only major U.S. team sport that calls a team's leader a "manager", rather than a head coach, but again, if you don't know the Blue Jays are north of the border or you think Yogi Berra managed the Dodgers in the 80s, you might also be unaware of that manager factoid.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:But seriously, if you aren't willing to guess at a clue asking for a north of the border baseball team that won 2 titles in the last 20 years, you aren't going to know Tinkers to Evers to Chance. As for your comment that the clue didn't specify that it was a baseball team, the whole category was about baseball managers
Yeah, I forgot the category name.