Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Paucle »

Ran managers with my eyes closed and half my brain tied behind my back.

Were two of those animal cliches just made up out of whole cloth? Never heard of them. 800 was easy, as was 400. 2000 was easier than the mid-column clues.
1200 One ___ does not make a summer. ??
1600 Strain at a gnat and swallow a ___. ??

I know I missed at least one of the FJ's earlier this week, and only got half of FJ today. Looks like I picked a bad week to stop smoking crack.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Are long time members allowed to whine about Obama's clue reading? ;)

Maybe the player said Berra for Lasorda since we had just had a Berra like quote about Watergate/Waterloo.

I think I may have heard the camel swallowing quote before, but never would have pulled it out. The swallow was new to me.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Well, it certainly sounded like a Berra quote, although he clearly wasn't the correct response.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
They never mentioned anything about which sport in the clue. It was something like, Cito Gaston took this North of the Border team to two consecutive titles, so I can understand the hesitation, thinking it might be hockey or the NBA, as well as MLB.
Only in MLB do you manage. NHL, NBA, NFL coach. I think by then it had been estabished as a baseball category, yes? Wasn't that like the third clue?
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Soccer teams also have managers. OMG NEGBAIT
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: Agree with everyone else on Mrs. Obama's clue reading. Did Alex really need to insult our intelligence by saying how well she did?
What exactly is he trying to accomplish with that statement? "We'd like to thank Mrs. Obama for her time, and also, congratulate her on the fact that she knows how to read?" I mean, it's not like she's reading the clues on live television, or even live in the studio where everyone would see if she made a mistake. I've got a pretty strong feeling that if she stumbled or misspoke they would probably give her a second take. Is it really a point of pride for our country that our First Lady not only knows how to read, but also is able to speak into a camera?

alietr, you said you don't want anyone coming here just to whine about the First Lady. So if we're already here anyway, then is it okay to whine about her? :lol:
(*EDIT* Darn, Bamaman beat me to that joke by a mere 7 minutes. I've got to be faster about these things.)

I know an old lady who swallowed a camel. It takes quite a mammal, to swallow a camel...
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:Are long time members allowed to whine about Obama's clue reading? ;)
You'll be put on double secret probation. Damn. I just told you, though.
alamble

Post by alamble »

zakharov wrote:Soccer teams also have managers. OMG NEGBAIT
Not in the U.S. they don't.
Bamaman wrote: No guess on the only Canadian team in MLB?
During the time period referenced, Les Expos still called Montreal home.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Had Adele immediately. Took a detour through Sweden with Robyn before realizing Rihanna made a lot more sense.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Austin Powers wrote:I would have thought Alaska was the Highest State, but I've been to Boulder so I can see why Colorado would get that nickname.
Alaska never occurred to me, due to average elevation and all.
Austin Powers wrote:On FJ I almost went with Drake, but then Adele hit me. And boy you don't want Adele hitting you.
Rhianna came to me instantly, but I never thought of Adele. I guess because, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of her songs. (I worded it that way because I very well might have heard her stuff and not known it was her, just like I just found out recently "Edge of Glory" was Lady Gaga, despite having heard it almost as soon as it came out.)
xxaaaxx wrote:I was willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on the Chance clue, maybe Tinker to Evers to Chance isn't familiar to the masses...but then none of them even took a guess at a baseball team north of the border (no way they remembered who won the '93 Series; not like anything exciting happened in that one). Yikes.
I'm convinced that both the Blue Jays clue and the Star Trek II clue were payback for me for two wrong answers that I had given my team on a trivia night I was part of on June 2 - one was asking the years that the Blue Jays won the World Series (thought 93-94), and the second was the final question that had Shatner as the answer (I answered something else, hard kick by myself to my posterior when I found out, since I'm a Trekkie) - my Facebook status after I got home was "SHAAAAAAAATNERRRRRRRRR!"

Judges: "Portuguese water poodle" for "Portuguese water dog"? (I seemed to recall the Obamas were looking at a particular breed of hypoallergenic poodle for the First Dog.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
elijahjt
Contributor

Post by elijahjt »

dhkendall wrote:Rhianna came to me instantly, but I never thought of Adele. I guess because, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of her songs. (I worded it that way because I very well might have heard her stuff and not known it was her, just like I just found out recently "Edge of Glory" was Lady Gaga, despite having heard it almost as soon as it came out.)
Yeah, there is no way someone who instantly thought of Rihanna has never heard an Adele song. No way.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

FJ: Instant Adele, then the "gosh they want both" moment, then some thinking and a guess at Rihanna hoping she was born in the Caribbean somewhere and not the US. First get of the week for me. I was expecting at least one "Adele and" __?__ among the contestants but it looked like both instantly got Rihanna.

Colorado: no sweat or Alaska thoughts, I heard of but blanked on the "swallow" one, and I recognized Cito Gaston.

Congrats to 5-timer David!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I did two things tonight I have not seen anyone else mention doing.

1. I responded, "Who is Frank Chance?"
2. I wrote Rihanna & Shakira.

How could I not think of Adele in 30 seconds? It would have been an easy switch from Ms. Colombia. I only worked the single name angle without doing the other side to brainstorm big acts in 2011. No excuse on my part.

The play in Brit Lit was an embarrassing mess by the players. I Manage managed to have three players below the Mendoza line in baseball knowledge.

For the Hershey's category it was nuts then almonds? Are almonds nuts? Should that have been negged with no 2nd try?

Well well well, David finally got a lock. Part of me was rooting for Austin. If that was the day one outfit I can't imagine what he would have worn as returning champ.

Marjorie's nightmare game is the kind of performance every player dreads before taping. Occasionally we get to see the bad dream in front of millions. If Alex retires and the reappearance rules change then perhaps the players who finished at zero or the red should get preference for another shot.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Judges: "Portuguese water poodle" for "Portuguese water dog"? (I seemed to recall the Obamas were looking at a particular breed of hypoallergenic poodle for the First Dog.
I'd have to say no. The Water Poodle seems to be a mixed breed.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I said Adele...and Gotye. In my defense, his current album came out in 2011.
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

thenextofken wrote:
I'd have to say no. The Water Poodle seems to be a mixed breed.
I almost said waterhound a la Jeff Kirby, then remembered Portuguese Waterdog. Basically this was the same question reworded.

I only got Rhianna, I forgot Adele.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

dhkendall wrote:one was asking the years that the Blue Jays won the World Series (thought 93-94)
Guess you forgot nobody won in 1994! :mrgreen:
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

MarkBarrett wrote: For the Hershey's category it was nuts then almonds? Are almonds nuts? Should that have been negged with no 2nd try?.
Sometimes you feel like a drupe; sometimes you don't.
I really surprised myself by getting FJ! instantly. I have no idea how or why.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

elijahjt wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Rhianna came to me instantly, but I never thought of Adele. I guess because, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of her songs. (I worded it that way because I very well might have heard her stuff and not known it was her, just like I just found out recently "Edge of Glory" was Lady Gaga, despite having heard it almost as soon as it came out.)
Yeah, there is no way someone who instantly thought of Rihanna has never heard an Adele song. No way.
Not saying I've heard of, or can think of, any song by Rhianna either, but I know that she was popular last year and that, more importantly, she is Barbadian. But, since I believe Adele was more popular from what I gather, that's why even I"m surprised how little I know of her. One of these days, I have to search YouTube for some of her stuff.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Paucle wrote:
dhkendall wrote:one was asking the years that the Blue Jays won the World Series (thought 93-94)
Guess you forgot nobody won in 1994! :mrgreen:
Montreal fans sure haven't.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS