Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Re: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

dhkendall wrote:
elijahjt wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Rhianna came to me instantly, but I never thought of Adele. I guess because, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of her songs. (I worded it that way because I very well might have heard her stuff and not known it was her, just like I just found out recently "Edge of Glory" was Lady Gaga, despite having heard it almost as soon as it came out.)
Yeah, there is no way someone who instantly thought of Rihanna has never heard an Adele song. No way.
Not saying I've heard of, or can think of, any song by Rhianna either, but I know that she was popular last year and that, more importantly, she is Barbadian. But, since I believe Adele was more popular from what I gather, that's why even I"m surprised how little I know of her. One of these days, I have to search YouTube for some of her stuff.
I'm going to defend dhkendall, considering I don't know the names of any songs of Adele's or Rhianna's. I just happen to know the names and that they can sing. Of course this evening I only could come up with Rhianna.
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

dhkendall wrote:
elijahjt wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Rhianna came to me instantly, but I never thought of Adele. I guess because, to the best of my knowledge, I haven't heard any of her songs. (I worded it that way because I very well might have heard her stuff and not known it was her, just like I just found out recently "Edge of Glory" was Lady Gaga, despite having heard it almost as soon as it came out.)
Yeah, there is no way someone who instantly thought of Rihanna has never heard an Adele song. No way.
Not saying I've heard of, or can think of, any song by Rhianna either, but I know that she was popular last year and that, more importantly, she is Barbadian. But, since I believe Adele was more popular from what I gather, that's why even I"m surprised how little I know of her. One of these days, I have to search YouTube for some of her stuff.
This video is a good introduction to her, if you really haven't heard the song yet-

http://allthingsd.com/20120213/viral-vi ... -you-skit/

Didn't help me to get FJ!
gloriaclemente
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gloriaclemente »

Three weeks in a row with a game where someone doesn't play FJ. Is that a record?
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Aaaaa, this game was such a heartbreaker! Marjorie is so lovely, and she started off so strong, but I think she just got flustered at the end with the Brontes and the (sigh) Daily Double. I think they actually edited out some time before she answered because I remember there being what seemed like endless silence, and she was starting to run out of time before Alex prompted her to say something. (And then she didn't start in the form of a question!! Nooooo, Marjorie!!! I was silently screaming in the audience. At least say "what"!!) It probably didn't help that she had just had a baby a few months before the taping and was certainly not getting all the Jeopardy-brain-nourishing sleep she could have. On the plus side, she still has a really cool car and is an overall awesome person living in a cool city. I think the whole audience, and definitely the other contestants, were really feeling for her at the end.

One of the funniest moments of the whole taping experience came in this game on the Reeses clue. That had to be rerecorded during the break because Alex originally read "Nutrageous bars" as "Noo-TRAY-jen-us bars" and everyone was just like "Whaaaaaaat are you talking about?" I think again they maybe cut out some silence before anyone buzzed in because it was really confusing for a moment. I don't think Alex is a big candy bar eater...

So David is an unstoppable machine, and I'm up tomorrow! Fun fact: During one of our green room breaks, I found out that David and I went to colleges that have a long and storied rivalry with one another, so I had that extra motivation to see him defeated! But is that even possible?? Either way, congratulations AGAIN, David, on your obscenely lucrative winning streak! I should've asked you to buy me a drink right there in Culver City—hope all your law school friends took you up on the offer!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

So they invited a Marjorie and a Margaret to the same taping? That seems a little strange.

I noticed a couple of weird-looking edits late in DJ, including, as mentioned by Margaret, that they seemed to trim some of Marjorie's thinking time on the final DD. Also, when the DD was revealed, there wasn't a single word from Alex, either pointing out the DD or asking about her wager, just a brief pause, then she announced her true Daily Double. I thought maybe they let the round run a bit long in order to make sure they got in all of the Michelle Obama clues, then later did some trimming in post-production to make it fit into the standard length. Has anyone ever hypothesized before that if the final category is being read by a notable celebrity (someone Jeopardy! would consider an esteemed guest), it is less likely that time runs out with clues unrevealed? It would seem to make sense, since we know that they can use editing to fit in all 61 clues, as they do this during tournament quarterfinals, they just don't feel the need to do it for every game.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:since we know that they can use editing to fit in all 61 clues, as they do this during tournament quarterfinals, they just don't feel the need to do it for every game.
I would certainly welcome that as a change in the game. However, it still might not be enough for celebrity games. Heck, they could just get rid of them altogether.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I seriously wondered about the "dream speech". She described it correctly. Did Dr. King give it a title? I always thought the "I have a Dream' title was sort of ad hoc. Certainly not like 'Who are 3 men who have never been in my kitchen"
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

billy pilgrim wrote:I seriously wondered about the "dream speech". She described it correctly. Did Dr. King give it a title? I always thought the "I have a Dream' title was sort of ad hoc. Certainly not like 'Who are 3 men who have never been in my kitchen"
Other than the improper phrasing as mentioned above, she said it was the speech at the Washington Monument. That's wrong -- it was at the Lincoln Memorial (had she said that with the proper phrasing, she may well have been given it. Like you said, we call it the "I Have a Dream" speech, he didn't).
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:... No guess on the only Canadian team in MLB?
As mentioned, in 1994, it wasn't "only." I wasn't going to take that coin flip either.

Somehow I got both Adele and Rihanna. Adele was an instant, but Rihanna was "random one named artist pulled from the brain's nether realm." But a get's a get!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

gloriaclemente wrote:Three weeks in a row with a game where someone doesn't play FJ. Is that a record?
Back in Season 17 there was a stretch of five weeks in which seven contestants did not play FJ (starting with Kids Week).
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Volante wrote:
As mentioned, in 1994, it wasn't "only." I wasn't going to take that coin flip either.
But, it is still (and probably will be for a long while) the only Canadian team that has won the World Series.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Horrid game. I'm glad David did well but the rest was a waste of my time. Some of the questions were achingly long & poorly read. Confusing DD at the end, as previously noted. They need to stop importing guests to read clues. PLEASE!!!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
Volante wrote:
But, it is still (and probably will be for a long while) the only Canadian team that has won the World Series.

Brian
Yeah, well, gap in knowledge. (Which is odd, as the 90s were the period I was heavily invested in following baseball...Still not sure how I forgot Bobby Cox either...just a dusty corner of the mind, it is.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't pull Adele. I must be so sick of hearing her songs that I've erased her from my consciousness. I knew he wasn't correct, but Drake is Canadian so...at least I had something.
mswanson wrote:So David is an unstoppable machine, and I'm up tomorrow! Fun fact: During one of our green room breaks, I found out that David and I went to colleges that have a long and storied rivalry with one another, so I had that extra motivation to see him defeated! But is that even possible?

You seem nice but, as the daughter and sister of Amherst grads, I'm afraid I'll have to root against you. Sorry. :)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Partisan politics aside, I think we can agree that Michelle Obama is not quite Oprah-bad at reading but it was still pretty painful.
*nod* I think her reading of the Jill Biden clue is still going on.

Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah'This wife of Joe Biden'Blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah...
Last edited by Onairb on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

I was utterly lost on all the baseball ones, but things like the "one swallow does not a summer make" and the FJ were no-brainers for me. Everyone knows different things, and "SO easy!" is so very relative!
Miss Mellie wrote:
mswanson wrote:So David is an unstoppable machine, and I'm up tomorrow! Fun fact: During one of our green room breaks, I found out that David and I went to colleges that have a long and storied rivalry with one another, so I had that extra motivation to see him defeated! But is that even possible?

You seem nice but, as the daughter and sister of Amherst grads, I'm afraid I'll have to root against you. Sorry. :)
Uh oh, that sounds like a challenge...
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

trainman wrote:I said Adele...and Gotye. In my defense, his current album came out in 2011.
You are not alone.

This game was kind of a mess. As a baseball fan, it drives me insane when non-baseball fans are contestants. I would rather watch a full-category stand-and-stare than hear someone guess 'Yogi Berra' for 'Dodgers manager'...that's like taking the Lord's name in vain...and 'David Justice'? Uh...cab fare home for at least getting his team right! I cut them more slack for not knowing Frank Chance.
Then the total cluster-you-know-what on Bronte, ensuring that J! fans from all walks of life/knowledge would be irritated with them!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I've never heard a Rihanna song but I knew her instantly. I guessed dDrake for #2 probably because of that massive club fight the other night. Ive actually downloaded an Adele song so I'm annoyed (again!) that I missed her.

ETA: also surprised the Venerable Bede was a T'S. he's often in crossword puzzles, if nothing else.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Volante wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Somehow I got both Adele and Rihanna. Adele was an instant, but Rihanna was "random one named artist pulled from the brain's nether realm." But a get's a get!
Basically how I got there too.
OCSam
Sage on the Hudson

One swallow does not an empty whiskey bottle make, either

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

dhkendall wrote:Judges: "Portuguese water poodle" for "Portuguese water dog"? (I seemed to recall the Obamas were looking at a particular breed of hypoallergenic poodle for the First Dog.
When the Obamas were thinking of getting a dog (seems a First Family must have one nowadays, or they might as well be from...Kenya, or someplace), Teddy Kennedy was pushing them to buy a Water Dog, as that's what he had.

jeff6286 wrote:How do you not get Chance when spotted Tinker and Evers?
Well, you might not have been alive in 1908?[/quote]

Some of us weren't around for any of the Punic Wars, but many, if not most, of us know something about them.

econgator wrote:How do you not get Chance when spotted Tinker and Evers?
The contestants simply had no Chance.

Bamaman wrote:Agree with everyone else on Mrs. Obama's clue reading. Did Alex really need to insult our intelligence by saying how well she did?
econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Partisan politics aside, I think we can agree that Michelle Obama is not quite Oprah-bad at reading but it was still pretty painful.
*nod* I think her reading of the Jill Biden clue is still going on.
Whenever complainers are hard on guest clue readers, I suspect they fail to take into account that when Jeopardy! sends out a camera and sound crew to record them in their natural habitate, a director is also dispatched to coach (not manage!) the guest readers. The timings are critical, and said directors sit there with stopwatches to make sure that the readings run neither too long, nor too short. If the clues are short, then the reader has to attenuate his or her delivery. There's obviously nothing spontaneous or self-generated about these clues. The clues may also have been written in a way that simply isn't congruent with the reader's speech cadences, which is a frequent problem with film or stage dialogue for actors. Like the movies, people tend to forget that whoever we see on screen is actually the tip of a fairly large iceberg, and if the rest of that berg hasn't quite done its job, then the tip may look less than perfect.