My Dilemma

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: My Dilemma

Post by Picked Off »

No matter what happens, dealing with this dilemma will be easier than dealing with prisoner's dilemma.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Woppy T
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Woppy T »

Don't worry about class until you are a 5x champ, and then intentionally make a dumb bet in FJ so you don't miss any more classes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Woppy T wrote:Don't worry about class until you are a 5x champ, and then intentionally make a dumb bet in FJ so you don't miss any more classes.
Or, to echo what a few other (wiser*) posters have said: "Don't put the cart before the horse". It's good that you passed the test and are in the contestant pool, but take a look at how many repeat swimmers there are in our very august group, many of them have been in the pool so many times they're resembling prunes! (I specifically remember TOC winner Vijay Balse saying that he was in the pool at least 8 times (maybe more, I've forgotten the number, I just remember using it as an inspiration to myself)) It seems to be little more than chance that makes a swimmer have to leave the pool to answer The Call, rather than skill (as anyone on this board who hasn't been on could clean up on the show easily!)

So, it's a good thing you're in the pool, but don't assume that means that you're going to get The Call right away. And, for goodness sake, don't plan your life around it. If it happens, great. Talk to your university, they'd most likely be accommodating (as it's good optics for them to have one of their own on the show). If not, there's always next time (and don't plan your life around that Call either). Just enjoy your time in the pool, do a few nice, leisurely backstrokes, and don't worry about it. Like dating, if you're waiting for them to call, and anxiously planning for it, it never works out well.

(Boy, I used a lot of aquatic imagery for someone who can't swim and isn't a big fan of pools in the first place, didn't I?)

*wiser meaning wiser than me, not meant as directed towards Woppy T.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

The call doesn't always come. I remember the guy sitting next to me at the Orlando auditions last year was there for the second time, as were a few other folks. I'd say just go about your business and forget about the call. That way, you'll be surprised and thrilled when it happens and you can deal with your professor then.
Last edited by Judy5cents on Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

BobF wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:What's your field? Attendance is much more importance in some fields than in others.
My degree would be a Masters in Information Science. The course is Financial Accounting. I just completed an Econ course, and majoring in Econ/Accounting in college, I found the course to largely be a review of concepts I learned as an undergrad (albeit parts of a few courses rolled into one).
Well, crud. That answers my question. I was gonna suggest your decision should be based on your field of study. Since yours is actually a useful field which may lead to gainful employment, I say take the class and (if and when you get The Call) make arrangements for going to Culver City; but don't turn your life upside down for the admittedly slim chance you'll get that opportunity (sorry, don't mean to sound discouraging, but the odds are the odds).

If you had said you were majoring in art history, on the other hand, I'd say drop out of graduate school altogether and camp on the Sony doorstep until they let you in.

Seriously, good luck in getting The Call, and keep us informed.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Don't block any dates.

My experience is that they called me for my blocked dates, noticed, apologized and were about to hang up...WAIT!!!

Whew...

Don't block any dates. You can miss a grad school class.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

MDaunt wrote:Don't block any dates.

My experience is that they called me for my blocked dates, noticed, apologized and were about to hang up...WAIT!!!

Whew...

Don't block any dates. You can miss a grad school class.
The same thing happened to me, only they actually hung up. However, they did call back 14 months later and I'm very glad they did. Also, I missed four days of law classes to go tape. Totally worth it.
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

BobF wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:What's your field? Attendance is much more importance in some fields than in others.
My degree would be a Masters in Information Science. The course is Financial Accounting. I just completed an Econ course, and majoring in Econ/Accounting in college, I found the course to largely be a review of concepts I learned as an undergrad (albeit parts of a few courses rolled into one).
I can teach you everything you need to know about financial accounting in about half an hour (please don't tell my employer).
clem21

Post by clem21 »

John Boy wrote:
BobF wrote:
Well, crud. That answers my question. I was gonna suggest your decision should be based on your field of study. Since yours is actually a useful field which may lead to gainful employment, I say take the class and (if and when you get The Call) make arrangements for going to Culver City; but don't turn your life upside down for the admittedly slim chance you'll get that opportunity (sorry, don't mean to sound discouraging, but the odds are the odds).

If you had said you were majoring in art history, on the other hand, I'd say drop out of graduate school altogether and camp on the Sony doorstep until they let you in.

See I'm a law student so I could skip classes for a month if The Call came and it wouldn't matter much...
BobF

Post by BobF »

John Boy wrote:
BobF wrote:

Thanks, your post made me laugh, thanks for the good luck wishes. As far as keeping you guys informed - um - I think TPTB frown upon that. Maybe we need some sort of code phrase like "I just got a new cell phone for Festivus"
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
davey

Post by davey »

BobF wrote: Thanks, your post made me laugh, thanks for the good luck wishes. As far as keeping you guys informed - um - I think TPTB frown upon that. Maybe we need some sort of code phrase like "I just got a new cell phone for Festivus"
It's up to you, and I can understand wanting to keep it under wraps, but I don't believe there's any rule requiring us not to tell folks that we're appearing - just about how many times and what transpires in LA.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

BobF wrote:Thanks, your post made me laugh, thanks for the good luck wishes. As far as keeping you guys informed - um - I think TPTB frown upon that. Maybe we need some sort of code phrase like "I just got a new cell phone for Festivus"
Now I've got a grievance with you.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

alietr wrote:
BobF wrote:... "I just got a new cell phone for Festivus"
Now I've got a grievance with you.
Anything for the rest of us?