Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Friday, June 22, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

I never knew the holes in Swiss cheese were called anything besides holes, either.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:Gotta ask Margaret (since you are here) why you didn't bet to cover a doubling bet by Bridget in FJ. You bet large but not quite large enough, and she would have beaten you if she had answered correctly.
Bridget and Margaret both wagered $6,000. Identical wagers don't make for upsets on double gets.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm really good at not even having a freaking guess on FJ!, aren't I?
Matched only by your ability to post about it!

I considered Nuremberg, but said Yalta.
Magic
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Magic »

Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Jeopardy is my favourite TV programme; but every so often I notice mistakes either in the questions or the answers.

For instance, in Show #6405 - Friday, June 22, 2012:

"For murdering a nurse from county Claire, in 1954 Michael Manning became the last person executed in this country"

a) It's County Clare (although I'm not sure if the mistake was on the show or just on the web-site), and

b) The answer given was "Ireland". Ireland is a geographic name, not a national one -- six counties of it are part of the UK. The country is Eire.

I notice other errors occasionally, e.g.

* The highest male voice is said to be countertenor. It's treble -- choirboys are male!

* "Compact disc" is spelled with a final c, not a k.

And so forth.

Is there some way of notifying the Question-masters about these things?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

We've had four champs in a row now come to this board with good lively commentary.
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

harrumph wrote:We've had four champs in a row now come to this board with good lively commentary.
I noticed that too. Makes this board all the more interesting. Keep up the good work.
Le Flaneur
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good Jeopardy-watching bar in Brooklyn for Monday's game? (soxfan convinced me that this would be a good idea.)
Last edited by mswanson on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Magic wrote:b) The answer given was "Ireland". Ireland is a geographic name, not a national one -- six counties of it are part of the UK. The country is Eire.
The country in which County Clare is located is "Republic of Ireland" in English. "Ireland" is absolutely acceptable as a shortened form of "Republic of Ireland" -- for example, the government's own website is copyrighted to "Government of Ireland."

And by the way, it's Éire (with an accent mark).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Magic wrote:Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

Jeopardy is my favourite TV programme; but every so often I notice mistakes either in the questions or the answers.

"For murdering a nurse from county Claire, in 1954 Michael Manning became the last person executed in this country"

a) It's County Clare (although I'm not sure if the mistake was on the show or just on the web-site),
The "web site" you refer to is the Jeopardy! Archive, as you might have suspected is not affiliated iwth JeopardY! in any way, but is instead maintained by volunteer fans. I am the volunteer fan who is currently editing that particular game, that was merely my mistake in entering (usually I check these after I'm all done entering, but I haven't finished entering the clues yet), thanks for catching that.

As to where to contact for errors, if there's an error on the show, best to go to jeopardy.com and look for a contact address there. If you find an error on "the website" (the Archive), you can send an error report by clicking on the little number in the top right of the clue box.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Magic
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Magic »

trainman wrote:
And by the way, it's Éire (with an accent mark).
I stand corrected.
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

mswanson wrote:Especially terrible was ending the game with that sports category. Especially since it was an all-woman game. So many crickets. Way to reinforce outmoded gender stereotypes, us! But I knew I definitely didn't know any of the answers—I've just never been even the tiniest ounce a sports fan—so heroic as it might have been to give it a shot on some of them
The American Airlines question was also sort of a sports clue, too - at least the sports connection is how I guessed the answer, since the Mavs and Stars play in the American Airlines Center (not to be confused with the AmericanAirlines Arena in Miami).
mswanson wrote:So, another raggedy win. It's kind of my specialty, apparently!
Congratulations, two wins are two wins, no reason to feel the need to be even the slightest bit self-deprecating about them.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

mswanson wrote:Hey guys, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good Jeopardy-watching bar in Brooklyn for Monday's game? (soxfan convinced me that this would be a good idea.)
Darn, I missed it. I'm in NYC too! Let me know how that turned out!
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

Magic wrote:Hi, I'm new here, so please forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place.

a) It's County Clare (although I'm not sure if the mistake was on the show or just on the web-site), and

b) The answer given was "Ireland". Ireland is a geographic name, not a national one -- six counties of it are part of the UK. The country is Eire.

I notice other errors occasionally, e.g.

* The highest male voice is said to be countertenor. It's treble -- choirboys are male!

* "Compact disc" is spelled with a final c, not a k.

And so forth.

Is there some way of notifying the Question-masters about these things?

You must be those people who say Wales as Cyrmu. We're talking in English so we use the English version of countries such as : Spain, Germany, Italy, China and not Espana, Deutscheland, Italia, ChungKwok/ChungKuo.

Since you have some time on your hand, look up why "Holland" is "Holland" and that it is the incorrect term for that country(Nederlands).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote:You must be those people who say Wales as Cyrmu.
Cymru ... now spell it correctly before I call the heddlu! ;)
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Just wanted to note for whoever is still around that despite her serious game face, Ayana was a lovely person. I just thought she was playing it ultra cool and was laser focused on the board—which, clearly, she was kicking ass at. It was quite intimidating from where I was standing! Anyway, as someone in possession of what I'm often told is a sad/upset resting face, I felt I needed to come to the defense of one of my fellow not-constantly-smiling persons!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:You must be those people who say Wales as Cyrmu.
Cymru ... now spell it correctly before I call the heddlu! ;)
To heck with that - *pronounce* it correctly!

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Kum-ree.

Now try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (it's a town I have visited).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Kum-ree.

Now try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (it's a town I have visited).
Easy

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That don't sound like your voice, Kendall.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:Now try Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch (it's a town I have visited).
Well, it's in Britain, right? So I guess they'd pronounce it "Lan'och."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:Kum-ree.

I really wanted to visit there, but my brother lived in the very southwest of Wales, so we never got a chance.