Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6406, 2012-06-25

CONTESTANTS
Melissa Rabey, a teen librarian from Germantown, Maryland
Deniz Cordell, a freelance writer and musical director from West Chesterfield, New Hampshire
Margaret Swanson, a graduate student of architecture from Somerville, Massachusetts (whose 2-day cash winnings total $17,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Welcome to our program. At the end of Friday's show, our champion, Margaret, made an interesting comment. She said, "I think I'm on the right track. I won about $3,500 in my first appearance. I won $10,000 more than that on Friday." So if that trend continues, today, she should win about $23,500. With Deniz and Melissa's cooperation, of course. We'll see how it works out. Let's go to work right now, though, in the Jeopardy! Round. We'll get things started off with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CIVIL WAR (5/5)
SCANDINAVIAN WORDS WE ALL USE (5/5)
SINGERS' SONGS FROM THE HEART (5/5) (Alex: We're looking for the main singer, the one who had a Top 40 hit with the tune.)
MINE (4/4)
YOUR PEAS (5/5)
QUEUES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deniz: 13 R, 0 W
Margaret: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Melissa: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Deniz: $3,200
Margaret: $2,200
Melissa: $2,200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Melissa Rabey is from Maryland, and she has written a book on historical fiction for teenagers. What kind of book are we talking about, specifically?

Melissa: Well, it was written for librarians and teachers to be able to know what historical fiction is out there, to know what they could give to teenagers. So it's basically a book about lots of other books.

Alex: Okay, give me an example of the kind of books yours refers to.

Melissa: Did you know that there is a historical fiction set in a leper hospital in Norway in the 1800s, written for teenagers?

Alex: Well, see, I knew that, but....

[Laughter]

Melissa: Well, of course you did, Alex.

Alex: [Laughs] No, I had never heard of that. [Laughs] But thank you.

Alex: Deniz Cordell is from New Hampshire. He is involved as a musical director in New Hampshire?

Deniz: Uh, yes. And in Manhattan, occasionally, as well.

Alex: But you traveled to Russia?

Deniz: Yes, I went to St. Petersburg in October. I was the assistant conductor, uh, for the St. Petersburg Orchestra for about a week and a half, in the chorus. And it was a beautiful city architecturally and the musicians were great and the music was wonderful, and I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Margaret Swanson. Graduate student of architecture from Massachusetts, who did a lot of weird things when she was younger. Tell me about you wanting to test the looney tunes, uh, theory of sneezing?

Margaret: Well, I have a sister who's two years younger than I am, and we used to watch a lot of cartoons when we were young, so when I was about 5 and she was 3, you'd see on the cartoons whenever they would shake, like, a pepper shaker in someone's face, it would make them sneeze. So I had her come over to be my real-life test subject, and grabbed a handful of pepper and shoved it up her nose. And she didn't sneeze. She just cried.

[Laughter]

Alex: You haven't--your sister has not spoken to you in... about 20 years now, am I right?

Margaret: Uh...

Alex: About that long?

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Margaret found the Daily Double on the 25th clue. Margaret had $5,000, Deniz had $5,000, and Melissa was at $3,400. Margaret wagered $3,000.

QUEUES $1000: He abdicated shortly after Petrograd police opened fire on a group lined up for bread
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Margaret: $9,000
Deniz: $6,800
Melissa: $3,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU GO, GIRL! (5/5)
SPIRITUAL AUTOBIOGRAPHIES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
HOMOPHONIC PAIRS (5/5)
SOUTH AMERICA (4/5)
"D" SCIENCE (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ROLE CALL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Deniz: 10 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Melissa: 9 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Margaret: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Deniz snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. Margaret had $13,800, Deniz had $12,000, and Melissa was at $7,000. Deniz wagered $3,000.

"D" SCIENCE $2000: It's either of the 2 cells formed when a cell divides--each one is a genetic duplicate of the parent cell
(Deniz: What is a diploid?)
(Alex: No.)
(Deniz: Duploid, isn't it?)
(Alex: No, what is [*]?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Melissa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Margaret had $13,800, Deniz had $9,000, and Melissa was at $9,400. Melissa wagered $2,000.

SPIRITUAL AUTOBIOGRAPHIES $1600: This pope's "Journal of a Soul" from adolescence to the Vatican was published after he died in 1963
(Melissa: Um... who is Paul XXIII?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"D" SCIENCE $1200: In dogs & some other animals, this vestigial digit does not reach the ground when walking
(Margaret: What is the thumb?)

SOUTH AMERICA $2000: 2 miles wide, these falls form part of Argentina's northern border
(Melissa: What are Angel Falls?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Margaret: $16,200
Deniz: $15,400
Melissa: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
PRESIDENTIAL CAMPAIGNS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Margaret: Wager $14,601 to cover Deniz.
Deniz: You have to wager $1,801 to cover Melissa's doubled score, but certainly no more than $6,799, so as to force Melissa to be right to have a chance at winning.
Melissa: Consider risking between $6,801 and $6,999. This will top a $0 wager by Deniz while still beating Margaret on the Triple Stumper (should Margaret wager to cover Deniz's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Though shot in the chest, Teddy Roosevelt gave a 1912 speech saying, "it takes more than that to kill" one of these animals

FINAL SCORES
Melissa: $8,600 + $8,600 = $17,200 (What is a bull moose?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Deniz: $15,400 - $9,500 = $5,900 (What is a Bear?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Margaret: $16,200 + $14,601 = $30,801 (What is a bull moose?) (3-day champion: $48,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Deniz: $18,400, 23 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Margaret: $14,200, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Melissa: $10,600, 16 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $43,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Deniz: 23/59 = .390
Margaret: 17/59 = .288
Melissa: 17/59 = .288
Team: 57/63 = .905

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
SINGERS' SONGS FROM THE HEART $600: A boy band:
"Quit Playing Games (With My Heart)"
(1997)
(Melissa: Who is 'N Sync?)

MINE $400: Radiation laden radon-222 is a by-product of mining this element that's named for a planet
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

"D" SCIENCE $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents the clue.) The bubble floats because the smoke that's produced from this form of carbon dioxide that was added to the water is heavier than the air around the bubble, but less dense than the air inside it

ROLE CALL $800: In a 2011 comedy, we got a double dose of this funny man

YOU GO, GIRL! $1600: On Easter Sunday, 1939, this woman sang to a crowd of 75,000 at the Lincoln Memorial

SOUTH AMERICA $800: Argentina, where the wind comes sweepin' down this fertile plain with about 3/5 of the country's people
(Alex: Correct, with less than a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Nicholas II
a daughter cell
John XXIII
the dewclaw
Iguazu Falls
a bull moose
the Backstreet Boys
uranium
dry ice
Adam Sandler
Marian Anderson
the Pampas
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Monday, June 25, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

Some very bad luck today. 11 right in the first round. 12 right in DJ. I lose my signal just after Alex announces the category and I miss FJ and I don't see who won. Great.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Presidential Campaigns
Though shot in the chest, Teddy Roosevelt gave a 1912 speech saying, "It takes more than that to kill" one of these animals.
Spoiler
What is a bull moose? Deniz said a bear.
Margaret Swanson: $16,200+$14,601=$30,801...now a 3-day champion with $48,000
Deniz Cordell: $15,400-$9,500=$5,900
Melissa Rabey: $8,600+$8,600=$17,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm surprised they accepted Janis Joplin as a right answer for "Piece of My Heart". It was actually by Big Brother and the Holding Company.

(Also, playing devil's advocate, he never said Top 40 on which chart, did he?)

I eat buffets all the time and have probably heard the word "smorgasbord" once or twice in my life.

Unsurprised with my 0/5 in Role Call.

My eyes jumped right to "one of these animals" and I said the right answer before Alex was done reading the clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:My eyes jumped right to "one of these animals" and I said the right answer before Alex was done reading the clue.
Ditto. As easy as they come.

Grats on #3, Margaret!
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm surprised they accepted Janis Joplin as a right answer for "Piece of My Heart". It was actually by Big Brother and the Holding Company.
I'm OK with that. She was the lead -- and pretty much only -- vocalist for them.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So, you drag out your answer to her, then explain why as if we didn't know and you haven't done it a thousand times before under similar circumstances...and then we run out of time with one clue left. OK then.

I need to learn more word origins, I spent almost that entire category thinking "THAT'S Scandinavian?!" Not for smorgasbord, obviously.

Instaget FJ. Surprised it wasn't a triple get.

Finally a big payday! Definitely not an 'ugly win' today. Retroactive good luck for tomorrow!
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My reaction when seeing the FJ answer......Why not just give them the money?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:I'm surprised they accepted Janis Joplin as a right answer for "Piece of My Heart". It was actually by Big Brother and the Holding Company.
I'm OK with that. She was the lead -- and pretty much only -- vocalist for them.
But she wasn't the only member of the band, and the song wasn't credited to just her. It'd be like saying "Who is Paul McCartney?" if they named a Beatles song.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
econgator wrote:
But she wasn't the only member of the band, and the song wasn't credited to just her. It'd be like saying "Who is Paul McCartney?" if they named a Beatles song.

Alex did say that they wanted "the main singer" when explaining the category.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

xxaaaxx wrote:So, you drag out your answer to her, then explain why as if we didn't know and you haven't done it a thousand times before under similar circumstances...and then we run out of time with one clue left. OK then.

I need to learn more word origins, I spent almost that entire category thinking "THAT'S Scandinavian?!" Not for smorgasbord, obviously.

Instaget FJ. Surprised it wasn't a triple get.

Finally a big payday! Definitely not an 'ugly win' today. Retroactive good luck for tomorrow!
All of that.

I loved Margaret's winning trends as explained at the beginning, so she should have a huge win today. I laughed when it happened- excellent job, and I want to see you go for at least $40,000 tomorrow :D
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

THe only chart that song hit on was the Hot 100, I don't think Adult COntemporary(in the 60s known as easy listening) radio was playing it, IIRC the Beatles only hit that chart a couple of times in the 60s. The Mainstream Rock chart didn't debut until 1981.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Congrats to "Who..is..Nicholas....the.....second???" on win #3!
Instaget final, agree with previous comments about its ease. It read more like a regular clue in a "Political Animals" category than a Final J!
immaf
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by immaf »

FJ was pretty much an instaget, except for the few seconds I spent trying to figure out when Teddy Roosevelt was ever shot in the chest. Holy dangling modifiers, Jeopardy writers! Doesn't anyone proofread the clues?
Teems with quiet fun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

legendneverdies wrote:

THe only chart that song hit on was the Hot 100, I don't think Adult COntemporary(in the 60s known as easy listening) radio was playing it, IIRC the Beatles only hit that chart a couple of times in the 60s. The Mainstream Rock chart didn't debut until 1981.
I was referencing the fact that other versions of that song have hit Top 40 on other notable charts.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

immaf wrote:FJ was pretty much an instaget, except for the few seconds I spent trying to figure out when Teddy Roosevelt was ever shot in the chest. Holy dangling modifiers, Jeopardy writers! Doesn't anyone proofread the clues?
Teddy Roosevelt *was* shot in the chest (the folded-up copy of the speech he was about to give and his eyeglasses case in his pocket slowed the bullet down enough that it didn't do a lot of damage) and then gave his speech anyway!
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

teapot37 wrote:
immaf wrote:FJ was pretty much an instaget, except for the few seconds I spent trying to figure out when Teddy Roosevelt was ever shot in the chest. Holy dangling modifiers, Jeopardy writers! Doesn't anyone proofread the clues?
Teddy Roosevelt *was* shot in the chest (the folded-up copy of the speech he was about to give and his eyeglasses case in his pocket slowed the bullet down enough that it didn't do a lot of damage) and then gave his speech anyway!
This country must have been a bunch of hardasses back in 1912. It's hard to believe that anyone, even a 3rd party candidate, could get shot in the chest, give a 90-minute speech anyway, and still only win 6 states.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $48,000, Margaret moves into eleventh place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Double Homonyms = easiest category ever? Better game today but easy FJ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote:My reaction when seeing the FJ answer......Why not just give them the money?
Well, since it wasn't a triple get ...

Congrats on the much bigger win, Margaret. Very well done.