Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by StevenH »

alamble wrote:
StevenH wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I'm trying to compile all the alternative answers to tonight's category. Let me know about the other famous people named Petula and Chi Chi.
Why do they have to be "famous?" And even if they do, who is to say what qualifies someone as famous? As long as there is at least one other person on earth who has each one of the first and last names in each clue in that category, how do you justify not accepting it? Do you neg it just because that is not what the writers wanted?
You are kidding about this question, aren't you? Just in case you're not: if they weren't famous, they have no business being the subject of Jeopardy! category.
No, I am not. Mammoth Cave in California and the Mesa Verde community of California aren't famous and would never come up as J! clues, but their existences rightfully caused a ruling reversal on a clue that came up in a common bond category that appeared in a game that aired last week.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
mswanson wrote:Now... just how many 3- to 5-game winners do you think I could (non-fatally) poison before anyone got suspicious? I'm thinking maybe, like, 5???
::Nervously glances down at coffee cup::
Muahahahaha!
(There is a sliiiight chance I'm mostly just posting to try out my new signature link from Monday's game...!)
alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by alamble »

StevenH wrote:
alamble wrote:
StevenH wrote:
Why do they have to be "famous?" And even if they do, who is to say what qualifies someone as famous? As long as there is at least one other person on earth who has each one of the first and last names in each clue in that category, how do you justify not accepting it? Do you neg it just because that is not what the writers wanted?
You are kidding about this question, aren't you? Just in case you're not: if they weren't famous, they have no business being the subject of Jeopardy! category.
No, I am not. Mammoth Cave in California and the Mesa Verde community of California aren't famous and would never come up as J! clues, but their existences rightfully caused a ruling reversal on a clue that came up in a common bond category that appeared in a game that aired last week.
Your two scenarios really aren't at all equivalent.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

alietr wrote:You know, Margaret, you would have thought you'd been on here enough to know Revelation is not pluralized (not trying to rub it in, mind you). You try and teach these Boardies ...
Between that, and the poor late DD bet to drop out of contention with a miss, I began to wonder if the boardie Margaret is an impostor.
Johnblue wrote:I hate that Communuty show. People swear how much they love it & so I watch it & it just sucks.
Blasphemy! By far the best comedy on television. That and Mad Men are the two shows that I really looked forward to watching every week. (Yes Vanya, the common bond of the two does help).

I was surprised at the Laos clue. After the first clue in the category, when they showed the actual flag, I thought it'd be an easy/boring "identify this X" category. Then they switched away from just asking what the flag was, went back to the method for the $2000, but had it turn into a TS with two negs.

I'd never heard of the "Northern Cross" before, but it turns out, it is indeed a constellation. Not quite as famous as the Southern one, though...
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

COMMON BONDS: Rome and Athens
Spoiler
What are cities in Georgia?
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

soxfan99 wrote:I'd never heard of the "Northern Cross" before, but it turns out, it is indeed a constellation. Not quite as famous as the Southern one, though...
Urglblergllgah—don't remind me! I made some... poor choices that game. :oops:
soxfan99 wrote:
alietr wrote:You know, Margaret, you would have thought you'd been on here enough to know Revelation is not pluralized (not trying to rub it in, mind you). You try and teach these Boardies ...
Between that, and the poor late DD bet to drop out of contention with a miss, I began to wonder if the boardie Margaret is an impostor.
Ah, well, see? Not finding out about j!board until after I'd been on the show was my first mistake.
Last edited by mswanson on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

seaborgium wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote: Maybe it would be obscure trivia if they hadn't, you know, named the treaty after said location.
And if more than three people on the planet had actually, you know, heard of it.
Between the show and this thread alone, we've got four people who got FJ right (so far).
*raises hand* Count me in as well.

Interesting. Quotes can only be nested three-deep.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote:COMMON BONDS: Rome and Athens
Spoiler
Missing the third element.

How about "Rome, Athens, Cairo"? Or maybe "Rome, Athens, Sparta"?
OCSam
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Spoiler
Missing the third element.

How about "Rome, Athens, Cairo"? Or maybe "Rome, Athens, Sparta"?
I was thinking "Rome, Athens, Tbilisi". :lol:
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

OrangeSAM wrote:
Spoiler
Missing the third element.How about "Rome, Athens, Cairo"? Or maybe "Rome, Athens, Sparta"?
Excellent! Rome up near Utica, Athens down north of the city near Hudson, and Cairo not that far from Athens. All cities in NY!
oh! even have a Sparta over on the western edge of the Finger Lakes. Didn't know that!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Suggested poll question...I knew what war Tuesday's clue was about, but did not know the name of the town.
Jaksiel
Valued Contributor

Post by Jaksiel »

I also got FJ!, but I live in New Hampshire so that probably doesn't count.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote:Suggested poll question...I knew what war Tuesday's clue was about, but did not know the name of the town.
Count me in for that. 1905, treaty, Russo-Japan. ...but where the smegging frak did they do the treaty?!

Ended up going with Concord, but as soon as I saw Portsmouth I knew I was wrong.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Volante wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Suggested poll question...I knew what war Tuesday's clue was about, but did not know the name of the town.
Count me in for that. 1905, treaty, Russo-Japan. ...but where the smegging frak did they do the treaty?!

Ended up going with Concord, but as soon as I saw Portsmouth I knew I was wrong.
I think there will be only one person not checking that box who didn't get the FJ correct.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Paucle wrote:Excellent! Rome up near Utica...[snip]All cities in NY!
Shout-out to my hometowns! (until I was 8).
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Vanya wrote:Tho I never have liked Chevy Chase.
Well, neither does anyone who works on "Community."
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

You got it.
davey

Post by davey »

trainman wrote:
I'm not sure that's true, it's the executive producer he feuded with who got fired, after all...
alamble

Post by alamble »

davey wrote:
trainman wrote:
I'm not sure that's true, it's the executive producer he feuded with who got fired, after all...
As anyone who follows sports closely can tell you, it is much, MUCH easier to fire the manager (in this case, Dan Harmon) than it is to get rid of a problem child player (Chevy).
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

Apparently, Dan Harmon's firing had little to do with his feud with Chevy Chase and more to do with his constant antagonizing of the guys in suits at Sony.