Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:Well, I knew which war they were talking about from the date, and I knew Teddy had brokered the peace treaty. But I wouldn't have guessed Portsmouth if you'd given me 30 minutes. I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Maybe it would be obscure trivia if they hadn't, you know, named the treaty after said location.
And if more than three people on the planet had actually, you know, heard of it.
We'll see how it polls. It intersects with a few favorite Jeopardy! bodies of knowledge - American history, presidents, wars, Nobel Prizes. The treaty that TR won the prize for lodged itself in my brain who knows how long ago, and it's more firmly fixed there than any one-named pop star of the last decade...
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I knew what war they were talking about but don't think I'd ever heard where the peace talks were before. started with Washington, then went with Boston because it sounded more "historic".
Must have been what we were taught in high school -- I went with Boston also, only because I had nothing better to go with; went with a big New England city. Guess all they taught us in Alabama for the 1900s decade was the Panama Canal and William Gorgas's role in it.

And TPH -- if the recent volcanic activity in Iceland didn't remind you that they're there, read (or watch the Pat Boone movie version of) Journey to the Center of the Earth.

Sorry to see you go, Margaret. You've been fun to watch!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:And TPH -- if the recent volcanic activity in Iceland didn't remind you that they're there, read (or watch the Pat Boone movie version of) Journey to the Center of the Earth.
That did sound extremely familiar once it was brought up, but not to the point that I would consider Iceland = volcanoes Pavlovian.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote:I'm trying to compile all the alternative answers to tonight's category. Let me know about the other famous people named Petula and Chi Chi.
Why do they have to be "famous?" And even if they do, who is to say what qualifies someone as famous? As long as there is at least one other person on earth who has each one of the first and last names in each clue in that category, how do you justify not accepting it? Do you neg it just because that is not what the writers wanted?

And there was one neg in that category. It was on "Bo, Jesse, Glenda=Jackson." The contestant missed with James. But there probably is at least one Bo James, Jesse James, and Glenda James who is living or or dead. I think that the judges should have at least checked up on that, if they had the resources available to them.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Sorry, but a treaty that ended a major war is not "fairly obscure trivia," or even trivia at all. It was a tough clue that they probably should have saved for the ToC, but it was legit.

And TPH agrees with you. That should confirm it.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

J! was preempted in Denver due to all the fires, so I had to play from the Archive. No idea on FJ.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I didn’t see the show, just played off the archive now. (Thank you, whoever puts up the Tuesday show so quickly.) The Steinbeck category was interesting. First, I never would have pegged Charley’s breed as a lower value clue than the last name of the Grapes of Wrath family.

Second, there’s a fair chance the skipped $1200 clue had something to do with Of Mice and Men. If that clue had been played, then whoever got the DD at $1600 could have eliminated that title animal from consideration. Perhaps that would have helped Margaret, if the clue were still hers.

I only managed to get East of Eden at $2000 through process of elimination, though I now realize Cannery Row never came up.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

StevenH wrote:Sorry, but a treaty that ended a major war is not "fairly obscure trivia," or even trivia at all. It was a tough clue that they probably should have saved for the ToC, but it was legit.
I said this before, but no one acknowledged.

I told my aunt that in high school, we seemed to just gloss over the wars — spent no time discussing individual battles, or even entire wars such as Russo-Japanese, which I had never heard of until this clue came up. She theorized that it was because I took US history during a time of peace. Does this hold any water?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote:J! was preempted in Denver due to all the fires, so I had to play from the Archive. No idea on FJ.
The game can be seen here: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrt13a ... rch_algo=1
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Vanya wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Portsmouth is in NH, not Maine. Not that I got FJ either although I knew all the info, just a brain fart. Speaking of brain farts, I hate that Community show. People swear how much they love it & so I watch it & it just sucks.
Alison Brie, 'nuf said (also appears on Mad Men). Tho I never have liked Chevy Chase.

Steinbeck is my favorite author, so I would have been all over that category, and all-in on the DD. I was disappointed that they seemed to be avoiding it.

For FJ I said Juneau, as I thought Maine was more than 7000 miles from Siberia (it isn't).
Well, you have good taste so I won't debate it.

I thought SF for FJ but Kittery told me it was on the East Coast. I k ew the info yrs ago but couldn't recall it in time.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I thought I heard Margaret say "Lamentation" instead of "Lamentations" in the DJ round. Anyone else?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Frank Hardy wrote:I thought I heard Margaret say "Lamentation" instead of "Lamentations" in the DJ round. Anyone else?
If I remember correctly, she seemed to have thought she said that as well, so she corrected herself before being ruled.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alamble

Post by alamble »

StevenH wrote:
seaborgium wrote:I'm trying to compile all the alternative answers to tonight's category. Let me know about the other famous people named Petula and Chi Chi.
Why do they have to be "famous?" And even if they do, who is to say what qualifies someone as famous? As long as there is at least one other person on earth who has each one of the first and last names in each clue in that category, how do you justify not accepting it? Do you neg it just because that is not what the writers wanted?
You are kidding about this question, aren't you? Just in case you're not: if they weren't famous, they have no business being the subject of Jeopardy! category.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

mswanson wrote:Now... just how many 3- to 5-game winners do you think I could (non-fatally) poison before anyone got suspicious? I'm thinking maybe, like, 5???
Ah, a woman after my own heart. Well, except maybe for the "non-fatally" part. Just remember, Margaret, you only need to take out enough contestants to open up the alternate ToC slot for yourself. Once you're in the studio with the rest of the victims it's simply a matter of getting at least one of them to sample the tuna salad . . .

Yet another instance in which the loss of the old official J! archives deprives us of all kinds of useful material. We used to have whole threads on this.

Rex
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alamble wrote:You are kidding about this question, aren't you? Just in case you're not: if they weren't famous, they have no business being the subject of Jeopardy! category.
Bingo. IMO, Here's the sniff test on "same" questions: each portion of the commonality should also be famous enough to be a Jeopardy! answer of itself. That's why I disagreed with the reversal on "places in California" from a recent game.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Paucle wrote:IMO, Here's the sniff test on "same" questions: each portion of the commonality should also be famous enough to be a Jeopardy! answer of itself. That's why I disagreed with the reversal on "places in California" from a recent game.
I'll bet someone could write a fair Jeopardy! clue with each of those places as the intended correct response, though. All you would need to do is include more of a TOM.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:
Paucle wrote:IMO, Here's the sniff test on "same" questions: each portion of the commonality should also be famous enough to be a Jeopardy! answer of itself. That's why I disagreed with the reversal on "places in California" from a recent game.
I'll bet someone could write a fair Jeopardy! clue with each of those places as the intended correct response, though. All you would need to do is include more of a TOM.
But it should still be phrased in the form of a question.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

mswanson wrote:Now... just how many 3- to 5-game winners do you think I could (non-fatally) poison before anyone got suspicious? I'm thinking maybe, like, 5???
::Nervously glances down at coffee cup::
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

StevenH wrote:

And there was one neg in that category. It was on "Bo, Jesse, Glenda=Jackson." The contestant missed with James. But there probably is at least one Bo James, Jesse James, and Glenda James who is living or or dead. I think that the judges should have at least checked up on that, if they had the resources available to them.
By this reasoning they should also accept 'Who are 3 persons who have never been in my kitchen?" It's not incorrect, just not what the writers were going for.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

billy pilgrim wrote:By this reasoning they should also accept 'Who are 3 persons who have never been in my kitchen?" It's not incorrect, just not what the writers were going for.
I think the guiding principle lies somewhere between these two extremes. They don't have to be household names necessarily, or even the most famous examples of those names - just notable or well-known enough that it might be logical for someone to infer that the clue refers to them. Fwiw, "what the writers were going for" isn't that good of a guideline. Whenever any of these questions comes up, the writers were always going for something else. Also fwiw, James won't work as a response if you assume they're asking about well-known people. But there could be other names that would.

The towns in California are all matters of public record, and (theoretically at least) someone who knew a lot about California history, watched a lot of California tourism/history shows, or did a lot of touring around California might arrive at that response - even if they also knew those were the names of national parks. On the other hand, a response like "what are three towns I've never visited?" or "what are three places with vowels in their names?" is obviously not what the clue is asking about.