Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:I stayed in Aberystwyth when I was in Wales, so that was an easy one.
I figured Wales entirely because every Welsh word I've ever seen looks like someone forgot to buy a vowel.
This was my reasoning too.

I screwed up several gimmes in the monster movie category. Ugh.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

Nice run Margaret!
No idea on FJ here and guessed Augusta. Maybe knowing it was right on the NH border would have helped since they gave Maine in the clue.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

zakharov wrote:As for our new champ, seems like a good time for grad students in sweaters...
First Jeopardy, then...THE WORLD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I found one hit in the archive for Portsmouth and the war: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=817

Not that it helped me tonight. Back then I knew the war no problem. Tonight even thinking about the so called treaty of Portland did nothing to trigger the correct response. It was not going to happen. Nice solve by Jim to at least earn the extra grand.

Did Jim add his glasses after the first segment? He had them on for the interview and he looked different, so I wondered if he had them with him or had to make someone dash to the green room? Rehearsal is a great time to see if the specs are needed or not.

If "The Red Pony" was said instead of that mouse then the scores would have been:
Margaret 10200 (10200 - 3001 = 7199)
Jon 15200 (15200 - 5201 or more = at most 9999)
Jim 6600 (likely victory?)

So the Steinbeck miss didn't cost Margaret the TOC, but may have cost Jim the game.

Fix the Steinbeck miss and the Revelations with an "S" and then more games were there for the taking.

Jon tried his best to insert Lugosi into the game. The category being the old timers and not Cox/Barrymore/Carmpbell/Arquette and take your pick was a pleasant surprise.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Well, I could tell by the year that the treaty in question ended the Russo-Japanese War, but I didn't know where to go from there. Said Boston just because Maine was once part of Massachusetts. "Treaty of Portsmouth" has a familiar ring to it.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Just an unfortunate case of nerves, or is it really possible that Jim had never heard the name "Rodriguez" said aloud?
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I enjoyed you as champ Margaret. Congratulations. If you are in the Tournament of Champions then good luck.

I got 9 right in the first round and 6 right in DJ. I didn't even bother to guess for FJ. I had no clue.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

trainman wrote:Just an unfortunate case of nerves, or is it really possible that Jim had never heard the name "Rodriguez" said aloud?
I seem to remember from my youth someone pronounce like that, but fully -- like chy chy rod-ri-gwez. Damned if I know where it's from, though.

ETA: Yes! Les Nessman, from WKRP in Cincinnati.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Well, I knew which war they were talking about from the date, and I knew Teddy had brokered the peace treaty. But I wouldn't have guessed Portsmouth if you'd given me 30 minutes. I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

cinemaniax7 wrote:I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Agreed on this. Never mind that I'd heard of the Russo-Japanese War before.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
trainman wrote:Just an unfortunate case of nerves, or is it really possible that Jim had never heard the name "Rodriguez" said aloud?
I seem to remember from my youth someone pronounce like that, but fully -- like chy chy rod-ri-gwez. Damned if I know where it's from, though.

I knew that. :D

In fact, I thought it was a deliberate shout-out to 'KRP.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

cinemaniax7 wrote:Well, I knew which war they were talking about from the date, and I knew Teddy had brokered the peace treaty. But I wouldn't have guessed Portsmouth if you'd given me 30 minutes. I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Maybe it would be obscure trivia if they hadn't, you know, named the treaty after said location.
StevenH wrote:I hate the "last name's the same" categories for the same reason why I hate the common bond categories: there is bound to be more than one acceptable response for every clue.
I'm trying to compile all the alternative answers to tonight's category. Let me know about the other famous people named Petula and Chi Chi.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew what war they were talking about but don't think I'd ever heard where the peace talks were before. started with Washington, then went with Boston because it sounded more "historic".
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:Well, I knew which war they were talking about from the date, and I knew Teddy had brokered the peace treaty. But I wouldn't have guessed Portsmouth if you'd given me 30 minutes. I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Maybe it would be obscure trivia if they hadn't, you know, named the treaty after said location.
And if more than three people on the planet had actually, you know, heard of it.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Portsmouth is in NH, not Maine. Not that I got FJ either although I knew all the info, just a brain fart. Speaking of brain farts, I hate that Communuty show. People swear how much they love it & so I watch it & it just sucks. Margaret was engaging if not the strongest contestant. I was neutral as to the outcome though. It's nice when all 3 contestants seem smart & good.
earendel

Post by earendel »

econgator wrote:

When Jim said that my thoughts immediately went to WKRP in Cincinnati. "Hopefully Mr. Rod-we-gueez will play up to par in his next competition."

For FJ! I immediately thought of the Russo-Japanese War but couldn't dredge up the Treaty of Portsmouth until about 5 seconds remained. I don't know if I could have written it down in time on the show but I did get it before the music ended so I'm counting it.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

You know, Margaret, you would have thought you'd been on here enough to know Revelation is not pluralized (not trying to rub it in, mind you). You try and teach these Boardies ...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

alietr wrote:You know, Margaret, you would have thought you'd been on here enough to know Revelation is not pluralized
Not to mention it had already been offered (in proper form) as a wrong answer on a previous clue! Ouch!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
And if more than three people on the planet had actually, you know, heard of it.
Between the show and this thread alone, we've got four people who got FJ right (so far).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Johnblue wrote:Portsmouth is in NH, not Maine. Not that I got FJ either although I knew all the info, just a brain fart. Speaking of brain farts, I hate that Community show. People swear how much they love it & so I watch it & it just sucks.
Alison Brie, 'nuf said (also appears on Mad Men). Tho I never have liked Chevy Chase.

Steinbeck is my favorite author, so I would have been all over that category, and all-in on the DD. I was disappointed that they seemed to be avoiding it.

For FJ I said Juneau, as I thought Maine was more than 7000 miles from Siberia (it isn't).