Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by alietr »

<Whew> Glad to see you're still around, Swift's!
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

alietr wrote:<Whew> Glad to see you're still around, Swift's!
Were you afraid I'd gone somewhere?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
All that talk of poisoning and such...

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Well, with a name like Lannister, your life expectancy falls somewhere between those of a mayfly and a fruit fly.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

bpmod wrote:
All that talk of poisoning and such...

Brian
Well, with a name like Lannister, your life expectancy falls somewhere between those of a mayfly and a fruit fly.
Ahem. *quietly sets next week's gcal meeting with the Queen of Thorns to "private"
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tell your ex-boyfriend he might be able to get back into your life if he carries out a "special project" for you.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

That's it, I'm hiring a taster. And sending Bronn a raven.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

pointlessly pounding the Hammer

Post by reddpen »

cinemaniax7 wrote:...the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Or you wrote a term paper (including an execrable pun) on the Russo-Japanese War as a HS sophomore for a European History class.
TenPoundHammer wrote:
seaborgium wrote:
cinemaniax7 wrote:Well, I knew which war they were talking about from the date, and I knew Teddy had brokered the peace treaty. But I wouldn't have guessed Portsmouth if you'd given me 30 minutes. I'm normally not one to complain about FJ, but it seems to me the location of the negotiations is fairly obscure trivia for American citizens unless you happened to be around in 1905. Or unless you live in Maine. Or both.
Maybe it would be obscure trivia if they hadn't, you know, named the treaty after said location.
And if more than three people on the planet had actually, you know, heard of it.
Maybe if you didn't post at 4:25 a.m., you'd post fewer inanities like the above. I can't say it was an instaget because the first small NH town that popped to mind was Bretton Woods, but from somewhere (merci bien, Jacques Cousins!) the name Portsmouth bubbled up and I was pretty sure it was right.
In and out of the pool four times
TenPoundHammer

Re: pointlessly pounding the Hammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

reddpen wrote:I can't say it was an instaget because the first small NH town that popped to mind was Bretton Woods, but from somewhere (merci bien, Jacques Cousins!) the name Portsmouth bubbled up and I was pretty sure it was right.
And what led you to New Hampshire versus Maine or any other state near it?
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
reddpen wrote:I can't say it was an instaget because the first small NH town that popped to mind was Bretton Woods, but from somewhere (merci bien, Jacques Cousins!) the name Portsmouth bubbled up and I was pretty sure it was right.
Knowing U.S. History is my guess.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Reconstructing a thought process that lasted maybe 15 seconds... My precall off the category was St. Augustine, Fla. On clue reveal, 1905 I knew was the R-J War (prior knowledge as noted above). Bretton Woods came to mind (historic agreements named for towns in New England is a pretty small category), but I knew that agreement was decades later and led to the IMF/World Bank. Then the name Portsmouth popped to mind along with an image of TR with envoys from Russia and Japan, possibly this one, and it clicked in with what I knew cold at age 15.
I'm not saying it was easy. Poll prediction: < 40%.
In and out of the pool four times
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Also, the clue said "city". Bretton Woods does not qualify in that regard.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

reddpen wrote: Or you wrote a term paper (including an execrable pun) on the Russo-Japanese War as a HS sophomore for a European History class.
You have to tell us the pun.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
As I said, though, I did take US History, but we spent like 3 seconds on all the wars combined, and I had NHO the Russo Japanese war until this clue. Does my aunt's "you didn't study war because we weren't in one" make any sense to anyone else?
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote: As I said, though, I did take US History, but we spent like 3 seconds on all the wars combined, and I had NHO the Russo Japanese war until this clue. Does my aunt's "you didn't study war because we weren't in one" make any sense to anyone else?
No. Most of history is war.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: And what led you to New Hampshire versus Maine or any other state near it?
As I said, though, I did take US History, but we spent like 3 seconds on all the wars combined, and I had NHO the Russo Japanese war until this clue. Does my aunt's "you didn't study war because we weren't in one" make any sense to anyone else?
You asked 'what lead you to NH?' I answered 'Knowing U.S. History.'

Considering the number of wars this country has been though, all I can add is that you do not know U.S. History to the depth Jeopardy! requires.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
You asked 'what lead you to NH?' I answered 'Knowing U.S. History.'

Considering the number of wars this country has been though, all I can add is that you do not know U.S. History stuff to the depth Jeopardy! requires.
Fixed that for you.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:You asked 'what lead you to NH?' I answered 'Knowing U.S. History.'
No I didn't. I asked what LED me to NH.
Volante

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:You asked 'what lead you to NH?' I answered 'Knowing U.S. History.'
No I didn't. I asked what LED me to NH.
Knowing it took place in NH.

Seriously. You might as well ask "How do you know water is two hydrogen molecules and one oxygen molecule?" "I JUST KNOW!"