Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6408, 2012-06-27

CONTESTANTS
Tim Wong, a landscape designer from Cambridge, Massachusetts
Anna-Lise Santella, an editor and musicologist from Trout Valley, Illinois
Jon Shoup, a graduate student of political science from Charlottesville, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,179)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone. A word of advice for our challengers, Anna-Lise and Tim, on yesterday's program, Jon started off... not that well. One step forward, one step back, but then he got his rhythm going, and wound up being the winner. So don't get discouraged if things don't go your way in the early stages. But we're going to start now with the first round. And this contains the early stages, and one Daily Double in these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FASHION (5/5)
PRESIDENTS BY KIDS (3/5)
BOY SCOUT TIES (3/5)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"FOR" (5/5)
HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anna-Lise: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Jon: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Tim: 3 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Tim found the Daily Double on the 5th clue. Jon had $400, Anna-Lise had $200, and Tim was at $800. Tim wagered $1,000.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY $1000: The commemoration of this former U.S. senator's June 3, 1808 birthday is a legal holiday in several southern states
Tim: [no response]

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Anna-Lise: $1,800
Jon: $1,000
Tim: -$800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Three contestants on the program today who are involved with the learning experience. Tim Wong is a landscape design--designer, who is learning what language?

Tim: Uh, we're learning, uh, biblical Hebrew in my church.

Alex: Yeah. With a view to doing what? Reading...

Tim: Uh, to get a better understanding of the, uh, original text. Um, I could say a-a verse for you, if you like.

Alex: Go ahead.

Tim: Okay. Um, Genesis 1:1... Uh... [speaking Hebrew] Genesis 1:1.

[Applause]

Alex: You've only got 13 more--1,300 more pages to go.

[Laughter]

Alex: Anna-Lise Santella is an editor and musicologist who is working on a publication that I know about--The Grove, encyclopedia of...

Anna-Lise: The Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians.

Alex: And does it contain everything we need to know?

Anna-Lise: Not yet, but we're working on it.

Alex: Yeah?

[Laughs]

Alex: Are you specializing in any one area right now?

Anna-Lise: Uh, right now, I'm looking to expand our coverage of world music, ethnomusicology. Um, right now, we have some, but it's an area that's fast growing, and so we're working on that at the moment.

Alex: All right. The Internet should help you a lot with that.

Anna-Lise: Should. [Laughs]

Alex: Yes.

Alex: Jon Shoup is a graduate student of political science, and he's doing some research in Africa.

Jon: Yes.

Alex: On what?

Jon: Uh, my research focuses on regime change and democratization in Africa. And, uh, just last year, I was actually in Tanzania and in Ghana doing some field work there.

Alex: Uh-huh. Is, uh, democratization happening fast enough?

Jon: Well, I--you know, it varies by country. Um, in some countries, like Ghana, you really have a stable system that's developed there. Other countries are lagging behind, and then a lot of others, it's constantly changing, so...

Alex: Yeah. Well, Ghana has the old British influence. That helps.

Jon: That's right.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HAPPY BIRTHDAY $600: It would have been quite a party for these two people, a politician and a comic, on their October 13th birthday

BOY SCOUT TIES $200: The knot at the bottom of the Boy Scout badge represents the Scouting slogan "do" one of these "daily"
(Anna-Lise: What is a good deed?)
(Tim: What is a good work?)

PRESIDENTS BY KIDS $600: 2 stepkids: John & Martha

PRESIDENTS BY KIDS $1000: His 6 include Neil, Marvin & Dorothy

BOY SCOUT TIES $1000: A clove hitch is useful in camping; tie a rope to your sack of food, which you'll hang high to make this alliterative "bag"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Anna-Lise: $6,600
Jon: $4,600
Tim: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IN UTAH ROW (1/2)
NATURE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"M"USICALS (4/5)
THE RIVER OF HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
A FEW 4-LETTER CATEGORY (4/5)
MY BIG FAT GREEK LIT CATEGORY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Anna-Lise: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Tim: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jon: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jon snagged the next Daily Double on the 4th clue. Jon had $5,000, Anna-Lise had $6,600, and Tim had a deficit with -$200. Jon wagered $1,500.

THE RIVER OF HISTORY $1600: Until the Erie Canal opened, this 981-mile tributary of the Mississippi was the main route west for goods & people

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Tim who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Jon had $6,900, Anna-Lise had $11,400, and Tim was at $1,800. Tim wagered $2,000.

NATURE $1600: The moonflower, whose blossoms open in the evening, is a fragrant variety of this a.m. flower

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE RIVER OF HISTORY $800: The name of this Michigan waterway that meets up with the Kalamazoo River refers to a fight that involved 4 guys

THE RIVER OF HISTORY $1200: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reports from the National World War II Memorial in Washington, D.C.) Depicted here is the historic moment when American & Russian forces met on April 25th, 1945, at Torgau, Germany, on this river

"M"USICALS $1600: The original London soundtrack of this musical features Jonathan Pryce & Lea Salonga
(Jon: What is Madame Butterfly?)

A FEW 4-LETTER CATEGORY $1600: As an adjective, it means stylish; as a noun, it's a prestigious award
(Jon: Oh, dear. Um... laud? What is laud?)

IN UTAH ROW $2000: This Beaver-born tinkerer is sometimes considered the inventor of television
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Anna-Lise: $19,400 (lock game)
Jon: $7,300
Tim: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
EARLY FILMS OF OSCAR WINNERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; three-quarters for second place.
Anna-Lise: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $4,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Jon: Wager $4,301 to cover Tim.
Tim: Risk between $1,501 and $2,800, covering Jon's $0 bet.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 1995, 2003 & 2006 winners for Best Actor all appeared in this 1982 teen comedy

FINAL SCORES
Tim: $5,800 - $0 = $5,800 (What is Breakfast Club?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Jon: $7,300 + $4,301 = $11,601 (What is Fast Times @ Ridgemont H High?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Anna-Lise: $19,400 - $4,000 = $15,400 (What is The Breakfast Club) (New champion: $15,400)
(Alex: Nicolas Cage, Forest Whitaker, and Sean Penn were the three actors involved here.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $10,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Anna-Lise: $19,400, 21 R, 2 W
Jon: $7,400, 14 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Tim: $6,400, 11 R (including 1 DD), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Anna-Lise: 21/58 = .362
Jon: 15/59 = .254
Tim: 11/60 = .183
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
BOY SCOUT TIES $400: Happy campers know that with a taut-line hitch, you can tighten or loosen the guyline of one of these
(Tim: What's a knot?)

PRESIDENTS BY KIDS $800: Jack, Chip, Jeffrey & Amy
(Anna-Lise: I'm sorry.)

HE'S A JOLLY GOOD FELLOW $1000: His work on shows like "The Office" has been better received than his hosting of the 2011 & 2012 Golden Globes
(Jon: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

MY BIG FAT GREEK LIT CATEGORY $2000: To refute a claim that he was senile, this playwright read in court from his own play "Oedipus at Colonus"
(Tim: Who is Aeschylus?)

A FEW 4-LETTER CATEGORY $1200: The back of the neck
(Alex: Yes, with a minute to go.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jefferson Davis
Margaret Thatcher & Lenny Bruce
a good turn
George Washington
George H.W. Bush
a bear bag
the Ohio River
the morning glory
Battle Creek
the Elbe
Miss Saigon
tony
Philo T. Farnsworth
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
a tent
(Jimmy) Carter
Ricky Gervais
Sophocles
nape
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Early Films of Oscar Winners
The 1995, 2003 & 2006 winners for Best Actor all appeared in this 1982 teen comedy.
Spoiler
What is Fast Times at Ridgemont High? (Nicolas Cage, Sean Penn, and Forest Whitaker were the actors.) Tim and Anna-Lise both said The Breakfast Club.
Anna-Lise Santella: $19,400-$4,000=$15,400...now a 1-day champion with $15,400
Jon Shoup: $7,300+$4,301=$11,601
Tim Wong: $5,800-$0=$5,800
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Is Lenny Bruce's picture all that well-known? I sure didn't know it.

FJ took me about 20 seconds or so, but I did come up with FTARH.
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

For FJ I simply went with a well-known teen comedy from 1982 and got it right. The Oscar part of the clue didn't help me one bit.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Splice was my only get in Boy Scout. The others just went in one ear and out the other.

Also 0/5 in Fashion. Total "who the hell cares?" category to me. Why should I know the brand name of some shoe that probably cost more than every piece of footwear I've ever owned in my life put together? Or that Zooey Deschanel painted her… um… I'll be in my bunk.

Ashamed to say that I did not get Battle Creek. It didn't occur to me that there actually is a creek by that name. Creek, NOT RIVER DAMN IT WHY WAS THAT EVEN IN THE !*@#$@ CATEGORY IF IT'S NOT A RIVER FGSFDS. Tennessee was my only get in that category.

FJ! category had me thinking "yeah, so not gonna get that." Wouldn't have gotten that in a million years, since a.) I thought it came out at the other end of the 80s, and b.) NHO Forest Whittaker. Once again, I put nothing down — and seriously, those who argue against me putting nothing down, what would you rather I put down? Would you rather I write "What is chumble spuzz?" every time?

By the by, what ate up so much time? The first break came after only 11 clues, and both rounds were LTaM with 7 clues to go. I haven't seen them break that early in regular play since the Ken Jennings episodes.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:Is Lenny Bruce's picture all that well-known? I sure didn't know it.

Didn't get Bruce, Thatcher was a bit of a guess. FJ was fairly quick for me, did not know Cage was in the movie, which part did he play? Penn was Spicolli, Whittaker was the football player.

Read this if you have already seen Monday and Tuesday's episodes.
Spoiler
Did Mr. Hand ever mention Teddy Roosevelt or the Spanish-American War?
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was another schizophrenic board. There were a lot of clues that were overvalued or undervalued or had no helpful information at all. I should have been able to recognize Lenny Bruce, but expecting the contestants to identify Margaret Thatcher and Lenny Bruce from their pictures in the same clue because they have the same birthday is like the most random thing ever. I couldn't tell if the two individuals in those pictures were supposed to have some kind of connection besides their birthdays. I also thought that most of the clues in that historic bodies of water category in the DJ round were vague and useless.

For the second night in a row I really liked the FJ clue. Movies are usually a bad category for me but I was able to get this one, though I wasn't super confident and got it mainly from the year. I knew that it was too early for the John Hughes brat pack movies and none of those actors would be winning academy awards. I was also able to rule out Risky Business. 1982 or 1983 sounded like the right year for Fast Times at Ridgemont High, and it was the only plausible guess that I had.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:Is Lenny Bruce's picture all that well-known? I sure didn't know it.

Didn't get Bruce, Thatcher was a bit of a guess. FJ was fairly quick for me, did not know Cage was in the movie, which part did he play? Penn was Spicolli, Whittaker was the football player.
Fast Times was his film debut - it's a very small part as one of Judge Reinhold's character's friends, and he's credited under his given name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: By the by, what ate up so much time? The first break came after only 11 clues, and both rounds were LTaM with 7 clues to go. I haven't seen them break that early in regular play since the Ken Jennings episodes.
The break after just 11 clues puzzled me, but I wasn't surprised to see the early LTaM in both rounds. I thought all 3 players contributed to move the game along very methodically, with both challengers giving the full category name and dollar figure seemingly every...single...time. Though I did like Jon's "For" for $4 moment.

It was nice of Anna-Lise to jump to the bottom of the final category just to give the two guys a chance at sneaking back into the game by getting the $1600 and $2000 clues, but I was fairly certain it was over after Tim failed to come up with Sophocles and Anna-Lise rebounded for $2000. I thought that was the easiest clue in the category (or maybe equivalent with Homer) and was stunned to see it in the bottom row.

I was pretty certain that Fast Times was correct, but I did fumble a bit on that clue in trying to nail down who the 3 Oscar winners were. I first thought Nicolas Cage won in 1995 for Leaving Las Vegas, and an early appearance in that film sounded vaguely familiar, but then I thought that 1995 may have been Sean Penn for Dead Man Walking. I then thought that Penn may have instead won in 2003, although I couldn't think of Mystic River as the film so I wasn't certain. I knew he won later for Milk (2008), but figured there would be no need for the clue to list a second winning year for the same actor. Forest Whitaker for 2006 (The Last King of Scotland) I should have thought of, although, I don't know if I ever recall hearing that he was in the 1982 movie. 1982 teen comedy pretty much left me with nowhere else to go anyway, and Sean Penn's appearance in that movie is pretty well-known, so I figured that is where they were going.

The only other 1982 teen comedy I can find is Porky's, and it appears that the cast of that movie did not go on to quite the success of the Fast Times crew. The only "future star" I can find in the cast is Kim Catrall, and she was somehow snubbed by the Academy for 1987's Mannequin, though she was recognized with a 2010 Razzie, along with her castmates in Sex and the City 2.
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soxfan99

Post by soxfan99 »

"What is Borat?"
"Be more specific"
"Umm.... [beep beep]"
"Ohhh sorry, we were looking for 'Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan'"

I first saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a sophomore in my film analysis class in high school. It got kind of weird watching it in a classroom with my English teacher. Great film, though.

Too bad Margaret didn't have another win; it would've been good to see a Somerville v. Cambridge battle.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Admit it: you guys missed my stupid face tonight, right???? :P

I watched this one in the studio before getting shuffled out with the lunch crowd, and it was a bummer then, too. Was hoping to see our Tuesday contestant pool continue its winning streak, but I guess Anna-Lise was just too good. Not sure if I would've gotten the FJ in time—I remember being really annoyed and overwhelmed when trying to study Oscar winners before the show, and it's not something I follow in real life. Bleh. And all I really know about Fast Times is that in the few parts of it that I've seen on TV, they edited out Phoebe Cates's boobs, so...

Really curious to see what happens over the next few days as I only managed to catch bits and pieces of gossip in the hotel lobby that night! Congrats to Anna-Lise and to the departing champ, that tall drink o' water, Jon Shoup!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:The only other 1982 teen comedy I can find is Porky's, and it appears that the cast of that movie did not go on to quite the success of the Fast Times crew. The only "future star" I can find in the cast is Kim Catrall, and she was somehow snubbed by the Academy for 1987's Mannequin, though she was recognized with a 2010 Razzie, along with her castmates in Sex and the City 2.
Susan Clark and Alex Karras, to a lesser extent (6 years starring in Webster).
davey

Post by davey »

I'd say most people who know who Lenny Bruce was, know what he looked like...
Bamaman wrote:
The IMDb cast list doesn't give Cage a name - he's "Brad's Bud." I don't remember him myself...
This was a heartbreaking FJ, since I love that movie...but I couldn't think of who the actors would be, and the only teen comedy I could think of in 30 seconds was Ferris Bueller's Day Off...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote:
Read this if you have already seen Monday and Tuesday's episodes.
Spoiler
Did Mr. Hand ever mention Teddy Roosevelt or the Spanish-American War?
The closest connection I can find is that
Spoiler
Sean Penn has the same August 17th birthday as Franklin Roosevelt, Jr. While that would seem like a bit of a stretch to be considered a connection, I think the fact that tonight's show also included a birthday category makes it qualify. Also sharing that same birthday is another Best Actor winner: Robert DeNIro.
davey

Post by davey »

soxfan99 wrote:
I first saw Fast Times at Ridgemont High as a sophomore in my film analysis class in high school. It got kind of weird watching it in a classroom with my English teacher. Great film, though.
Yes!That's why I couldn't come up with it. I think of it as a great movie about teenagers (and there are sensitive and serious moments, like Jennifer Jason Leigh losing her virginity), not a teen comedy...Porky's, it's not! (At least, that's my excuse...)
habbywall

Post by habbywall »

I live in Kalamazoo and consider Battle Creek and Kalamazoo to be pretty much be the same place, as in most folks call it Kalamazoo/Battle Creek. Yet I still got that clue wrong. As a some what new jeopardy player was this TS that much of a surprise to folks? I mean, to me Kalamazoo/Battle Creek does not seem like knowledge that I ever thought would make it on Jeopardy!.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Or that Zooey Deschanel painted her… um… I'll be in my bunk.
Painted fingernails (if I remember the clue right) get you in your bunk??
davey wrote:
I'd say most people who know who Lenny Bruce was, know what he looked like...
I am very familiar with Lenny Bruce, but have only heard him. I must admit this this is the only time I've ever seen his picture. (Although, granted, I thought it might have been him, but since I'd never seen him before, wasn't confident enough to ring in.)
davey wrote:(and there are sensitive and serious moments, like Jennifer Jason Leigh losing her virginity)
*Now's* the time for "I'll be in my bunk". (Being a teenager a few years after that came out, that was a much fast-forwarded to spot on our family video recording* of that movie.)

*Betamax, if you must know. My dad's an audio/visual purist.

I vacillated between Fast Times and Ferris Bueller's Day Off. Settled on Fast Times because it had a few more people I could think of that were future Oscar winners. Once he said who they were, except for Sean Penn, I figured I missed it. Surprised to see I got it (and I still don't remember Nick Cage/Coppola in it)
Last edited by dhkendall on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remembered the name of the other movie I was considering for FJ
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

davey wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:
Yes!That's why I couldn't come up with it. I think of it as a great movie about teenagers (and there are sensitive and serious moments, like Jennifer Jason Leigh losing her virginity), not a teen comedy...Porky's, it's not! (At least, that's my excuse...)
Great FJ clue. Great film. Sigh... I think I'm still in love with the 1982 Phoebe Cates.

Does Vanya take requests for his avatar?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote:
davey wrote:
soxfan99 wrote:
Great FJ clue. Great film. Sigh... I think I'm still in love with the 1982 Phoebe Cates.

Does Vanya take requests for his avatar?
According to recent pictures I've seen, time has been very kind to her, it's almost like she never left 1982 (in fact better so, as I remember Cates never did much for me in that movie (Jennifer Jason Leigh all the way for me (no pun intended)).
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012