Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Re: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Rex Kramer »

legendneverdies wrote:
LeFlaneur wrote:I got Farnsworth at the last second, having first thouhgt of Vladimir Zworykin, then realizing that Vlad wasn't a yank.
Recognized Lenny Bruce but couldn't spit out his name.
First said Breakfast Club but changed to Fast Times in a timely fashion. Lucky lucky.
They had a Final J! a few years back that referenced Zworkin, so I thought of him for a second too. Vik Vaz game 3 reran on GSN recently from 11/30/2005. The clue referred to the Britannica article coming alphabetically last that was about a person and to name his invention. Vik was the only one to get it right, helping him win his third game.
I remember that game -- I watched it from the audience being taped. I remember feeling thoroughly discouraged because I had had no idea what the correct response was. I do believe that was the lowest point of my Jeopardy! Career.

Rex
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Yay Vanya! Post some more!

(Wow, this whole jboarder of the month thing is a powerful drug)
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

I thought the lady who won had some nice gets, like waxwing for example and the fashion stuff.

Took a moment, but Nic Cage ----> 1995 Oscar, was in Fast Times, so bingo. Then Penn came to me and it all fell into place. Didn't even make it to Whitaker actually.

Am I supposed to know the precise "good turn" quote exactly? What the heck? And bear bag? What? Obviously I was never a Scout, but that category acted like that stuff was in more common parlance than it is.

I don't get why Presidential Kids were such a struggle, that was free money I thought. Also surprised Miss Saigon went unanswered.

Little disappointed that the Greek Lit was only the old stuff - no Kazantzakis for example.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:Am I supposed to know the precise "good turn" quote exactly? What the heck? And bear bag? What? Obviously I was never a Scout, but that category acted like that stuff was in more common parlance than it is.
My scout leader had to have been the world's worst. I think we only ever did one thing outside. The rest was just hanging out at his house or in the church basement, playing stupid games like trying to knock saltines off each other's heads with rolled up newspapers.
jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

Austin Powers wrote:And bear bag? What? Obviously I was never a Scout, but that category acted like that stuff was in more common parlance than it is.
OTOH, I was surprised bear bagging was a stand-and-stare.

If the use of the term was limited to Scouting, I would agree that's a bit obscure - but it's actually a very common term (and practice) among backpackers who travel in bear country (well, those that like to avoid losing all their food to late-night visitors, anyway). I was always too tired to hang food at the end of the day, so I just carried a bear-proof canister.

But I always thought Boy Scouts did "good deeds" - NHO good turns.
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jkbrat wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:And bear bag? What? Obviously I was never a Scout, but that category acted like that stuff was in more common parlance than it is.
OTOH, I was surprised bear bagging was a stand-and-stare.

If the use of the term was limited to Scouting, I would agree that's a bit obscure - but it's actually a very common term (and practice) among backpackers who travel in bear country (well, those that like to avoid losing all their food to late-night visitors, anyway). I was always too tired to hang food at the end of the day, so I just carried a bear-proof canister.

But I always thought Boy Scouts did "good deeds" - NHO good turns.
I knew the clue was referring to hanging food so bears wouldn't get it, but I couldn't make the leap to "bear bag." Since the clue required an alliterative term, "hanging food high so bears wouldn't get it" wouldn't cut it.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

"Do a good turn daily" is the Boy Scouts of America's official slogan. So specificity was called for in this case.

The motto is Be Prepared.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had heard "Do a good turn daily" but still said deed because overall, "good deed" is more common.

This is why I hate clues that ask for anything more than a couple words long. It's so easy to know the gist of the answer, but be uncertain on just one word and flub it up. ("What is 'when all you have is a hammer'?" "No, sorry." "What is 'if all you have is a hammer'?" "Correct.")
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

Volante wrote: I knew the clue was referring to hanging food so bears wouldn't get it, but I couldn't make the leap to "bear bag." Since the clue required an alliterative term, "hanging food high so bears wouldn't get it" wouldn't cut it.
Some days you bag the bear bag; some days the bear bag bags you.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I had heard "Do a good turn daily" but still said deed because overall, "good deed" is more common.

This is why I hate clues that ask for anything more than a couple words long. It's so easy to know the gist of the answer, but be uncertain on just one word and flub it up. ("What is 'when all you have is a hammer'?" "No, sorry." "What is 'if all you have is a hammer'?" "Correct.")
When they're asking you to quote a specific turn of phrase, them's the breaks.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I understand why they wanted the specific phrase, it just strikes me as much more difficult than non-Quisling $200 questions usually. Maybe could have used a "deserve" TOM.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

People think Quisling was difficult? His name is synonymous with turncoat. I guess it isn't used much anymore.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Vanya wrote:People think Quisling was difficult? His name is synonymous with turncoat. I guess it isn't used much anymore.
"Difficult" and "Appropriately valued at $200" are two different things
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Austin Powers wrote:
Vanya wrote:People think Quisling was difficult? His name is synonymous with turncoat. I guess it isn't used much anymore.
So what should its value have been? To me it's worth about ten cents.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Vanya wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
So what should its value have been? To me it's worth about ten cents.
Then your knowledge of Norwegian leaders, while not extraordinary for these parts, is out of proportion for how the show typically values questions, especially when questions below Quisling would have been worth a nickel and a penny by your metric.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Shouldn't the last few posts be in Friday's thread?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Bamaman wrote:Shouldn't the last few posts be in Friday's thread?
[codly]Yes, thank you.[/codly]

(Due to broadcasting difficulties, I hadn't watched Tuesday's yet (haven't been able to find an appropriate recording to watch, so I'll play the Archive today. All hail to the swift and speed of Tuesday archivist debramc!) and due to busy-ness hadn't watched Friday's yet. I know my memory's bad, but I couldn't remember any Quisling clue. But now, I'm spoiled on a clue that I haven't seen.)

Mind your spoiler tags, gentlemen, is all I'm saying.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

dhkendall wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Shouldn't the last few posts be in Friday's thread?
[codly]Yes, thank you.[/codly]

(Due to broadcasting difficulties, I hadn't watched Tuesday's yet (haven't been able to find an appropriate recording to watch, so I'll play the Archive today. All hail to the swift and speed of Tuesday archivist debramc!) and due to busy-ness hadn't watched Friday's yet. I know my memory's bad, but I couldn't remember any Quisling clue. But now, I'm spoiled on a clue that I haven't seen.)

Mind your spoiler tags, gentlemen, is all I'm saying.
It was an easy clue anyway.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Austin Powers wrote:I thought the lady who won had some nice gets, like waxwing for example and the fashion stuff.

Took a moment, but Nic Cage ----> 1995 Oscar, was in Fast Times, so bingo. Then Penn came to me and it all fell into place. Didn't even make it to Whitaker actually.

Am I supposed to know the precise "good turn" quote exactly? What the heck? And bear bag? What? Obviously I was never a Scout, but that category acted like that stuff was in more common parlance than it is.

I don't get why Presidential Kids were such a struggle, that was free money I thought. Also surprised Miss Saigon went unanswered.

Little disappointed that the Greek Lit was only the old stuff - no Kazantzakis for example.
Yeah, the Prez Kids category didn't seem too difficult. I knew Miss Saigon instantly. Saw it on my first trip to London & it was so boring I fell asleep until a helicopter landed on stage.
earendel

Post by earendel »

alietr wrote:While I admire Tim for learning Hebrew, the pronunciation ... not so hot.
I didn't think it was that bad - Ashkenazi rather than the Yemenite that I learned in seminary - I suspect that without the pressure of the lights and audience he might have done better.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."