Thursday, June 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Re: Thursday, June 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Cortana431 »

I was able to get The Tropic of Cancer but got little on the capital's birthplace category. I wish they got through the entire 14th century category. Why do players sometimes continue with category's such as the state capital's birthplace when there is an entire category left untouched? Why not try the category and maybe you actually know the clues there instead of sticking with one you're not getting, like at the end?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

jeff6286 wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: I did pick up on Kennedy = Boston after it was said, but is there any reason I should know any of those other people are from those particular towns? That category seemed a little too difficult for the board, given the stand-and-stares.
The Kennedy family is pretty famously associated with Massachusetts, so in the top row Boston was a pretty reasonable guess. I didn't know Dick Cheney was from Nebraska, but I did know Bob Kerrey, as he ran for President (against Bill Clinton in 1992) and was always listed as being a senator from that state. Bobby Jones, if you're a golf fan, is identified with the Masters, which is held outside Atlanta, so that was another reasonable guess, but if you're not a golf fan, like presumably the three ladies on tonight's show, good luck. I didn't even have a guess on Samuel Colt and Katharine Hepburn being from Connecticut, nor for William Kennedy as the guy who wrote about Albany .
Augusta isn't exactly outside Atlanta. From the state capital building to Augusta National is 144 miles, but that was also my guess as I knew Jones was a native Georgian. When they didn't know a baseball lefty was a southpaw, I knew they were sunk there.

I didn't know where Hepburn was from and guessed Austin for Colt.

Rose Kennedy from Boston was easy imaginary money.

Scary cherry sounds the same to me.

I hate made up word categories like the opposites one.

No chance on FJ. I guessed The Lost Generation, not even sure if that is an actual book or just a phrase. Disease was a nice TOM, but it didn't click as I have no idea what the book is about oor where it is set.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

The Plague was my pick for FJ.

Anyone happened to know the wording of the "leap year" clue coming out to 1900? I was engaged at that time, thanks beforehand!
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Thanks to Twitter, I now know that actual Major League Baseball pitcher David Aardsma got the northpaw clue, so I am apparently a dummy.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote:The Plague was my pick for FJ.

Anyone happened to know the wording of the "leap year" clue coming out to 1900? I was engaged at that time, thanks beforehand!
Something like, "It was the last year divisible by 4 which was not a leap year."
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

Bamaman wrote:
lisa0012 wrote:The Dallas airing was interrupted by Obama's speech and subsequent commentary. So I'll be waiting for the board and archives for the results...
You picked a good game to miss.
I see that. Wouldn't have gotten FJ! in a million years so I feel better about that too. Also, scary and cherry (merry, marry, Mary, etc) rhyme to me.
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

CyrusChan wrote:Anyone happened to know the wording of the "leap year" clue coming out to 1900? I was engaged at that time, thanks beforehand!
Happy 112th anniversary! Also, I feel like I spent most of this game yelling at the screen.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:Anyone happened to know the wording of the "leap year" clue coming out to 1900? I was engaged at that time, thanks beforehand!
Happy 112th anniversary! Also, I feel like I spent most of this game yelling at the screen.
He said he was engaged at that time. He didn't say if she's ever actually gotten him down the aisle yet.

I was surprised to see all the discussion of scary/cherry rhyming. My prediction was that pear/lair would take that honor. Don't some people pronounce lair as if it has two syllables, similar to layer?

Would Ursa Major have been acceptable for the Big Dipper clue? I wasn't sure if the two terms are interchangeable, or if they refer to slightly different groups of stars.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote:Would Ursa Major have been acceptable for the Big Dipper clue? I wasn't sure if the two terms are interchangeable, or if they refer to slightly different groups of stars.
The Dipper is part of Ursa Major, but the star named is not the middle star in the handle of Usra Major (it's the middle star in the neck of UM, but that doesn't cut it IMO).
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I was pretty sure it was Tropic of Cancer. I spent most of the time trying to figure out what the title had to with disease before recognizing that "Cancer" wasn't necessarily geographical or mythological.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Swift'sSecondCourse wrote:
LOL, good job David on catching that!
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:The Plague was my pick for FJ.

Something like, "It was the last year divisible by 4 which was not a leap year."

Aren't all the leap/Olympic years divisible by 4(what I figure growing up.....) ? WHat the....?

ANyone can elaborate?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Years that are a multiple of 100 are not leap years, unless they are multiples of 400.

I went with The Plague for lack of nothing better, even though I knew it took place in Algeria. Never would have gotten Tropic of Cancer from the clue. Not nearly enough TOM, and what TOM there was (without knowing the book's specifics) just wouldn't have gotten me there.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

CyrusChan wrote:Aren't all the leap/Olympic years divisible by 4(what I figure growing up.....) ? WHat the....?

ANyone can elaborate?
All Leap Years are divisible by 4, but not all years divisible by 4 are Leap Years.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Tropic of Cancer flitted through my mind as part of the short list of banned novels J! asks about, but as it turns out, I knew nothing about it other than its title, author, and former banned status, so it didn't ring a bell to me. I ran time out trying to think of a good response that didn't come, but if I had been on the show I might have written Tropic down as a joke answer (I've always assumed the title referred to the line of latitude), and been supremely surprised.

(I made a correct semi-joke response at WQC earlier this month: the question asked for the composer of the guitar piece "Plaisir d'Amour," adding that his name was frequently spoken in a different context in James Bond films. I wrote down
Spoiler
Martini
and got a point.)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

I thought Amy said "apertif." Is that an accepted alternate pronunciation of aperitif?

Scary cherry rhymes, imo.

Naturally I was rooting for Lindsay to win. Oh well.

If I'd known Tropic of Cancer was set in Paris, I might have gotten FJ. Seinfeld, why didn't you mention that?
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Well, I did talk to Lindsay a bit about the game when we hung out that night at the hotel bar, so (while I'd since forgotten what the FJ was) I'm not sure if I would've dug up Tropic of Cancer on my own. I spent most of the time, though, trying to remember if it were just Tropic of Cancer or if it were The Tropic of Cancer, and wondering whether omitting the "The"—or including an inappropriate "The"—would cost you the FJ. (I... have been troubled by "the" in the past...)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Scary/Cherry and Pear/Lair rhyme in my part of the country.

Can I have another try at my three ring-in misses? Rising Sun I processed as Japanese and guessed Clavell. I put Loretta Devine in Private Practice instead of Grey's Anatomy and I guessed Julian instead of Sean in Lennon. Those plus drawing a frustrating blank on Das Kapital had me shaking my head. Knowing 2000 was not a leap year and then hestitating enough about 1900 being divisible by 4 was typical me. I would have fit in just fine with the players tonight. At least the Carolyn Keene clue had no chance of being a stumper.

Northpaw I figured out, but that was it in that category not for me. Hammer, you got all five in there. Congrats!

My paper was blank for the FJ clue. I knew it was too soon for Lady Chatterley's Lover and that was about it for hitting me in the scandalous department. Lolita, Brave New World and The Great Gatsby were other works that came to me and were dismissed just as quickly.

Disease to cancer to the Miller work might have taken days for it all to connect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:I knew it was too soon for Lady Chatterley's Lover and that was about it for hitting me in the scandalous department.
Me, too, but that's all I could come up with.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:If I'd known Tropic of Cancer was set in Paris, I might have gotten FJ. Seinfeld, why didn't you mention that?
Because they were into their fourth straight hour of "Moops!" "Moors!" "Moops!" "Moors!"?