Thursday, June 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, June 28, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote:I would have done quite well in this game, so little of it seemed trivial to me...That includes the FJ, even though I didn't get it. I couldn't come up with any scandalous novels set in Paris from that time - but it seemed clever on the reveal. I couldn't get Ulysses out of my mind, written in Paris in the 1930s, but definitely not set there...
Ulysses was first published in 1922.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote:
davey wrote:I would have done quite well in this game, so little of it seemed trivial to me...That includes the FJ, even though I didn't get it. I couldn't come up with any scandalous novels set in Paris from that time - but it seemed clever on the reveal. I couldn't get Ulysses out of my mind, written in Paris in the 1930s, but definitely not set there...
Ulysses was first published in 1922.
Thanks, of course I should always trust that little voice that tells me to check these things before posting...
earendel

Post by earendel »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
bpmod wrote:
dhkendall wrote:But, country music is known for having forced rhymes. I remember a comedian mentioning a (Loretta Lynn?) song that had "In the day we worked hard, at night, we was tired [sounds like "tarred"]" Perhaps that's how the southern accent developed, so wrods that don't normally rhyme can be made to rhyme if you live south enough.
I've been to plenty of places where tired rhymes with hard. I've also been to places, though, where girl ryhmes with boil. And nobody would ever equate that one with country music.

Brian
That reminds me. Meijer has stores in Kentucky, and I've always wondered if they call it "Mar" there. At least here in Michigan, we say it "Mi-yer" since we also say "fire" as "fi-yer".
It depends. I've heard it pronounced that way, but I say "Mai-yer". However I'm not a native Kentuckian (I'm from Oklahoma) so I don't talk like a lot of the people here. And I don't talk like an Oklahoman, either, so I've been told.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I say it more like the word "mire". (One syllable; my drawl's not that thick.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

They don't have Meijer by me but when I've seen the name I thought it was "My jere." is it a good store?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Johnblue wrote:They don't have Meijer by me but when I've seen the name I thought it was "My jere." is it a good store?
When they opened their first stores in Flint during my mom's adolescence, she thought it was pronouned "MEE-jur".

At least the ones around here feel cleaner and less corporate than Wally World, with better service to boot.

Also, on the rare occasion that they need more space, they almost always add on or rebuild instead of doing the Walmart thing and leaving an empty box behind.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

I had to work my way through the Naughty Books Section of my mental library but got to Tropic of Cancer just in the nick of time. I knew that "scandalous" had to mean sex:

Lolita? Too late.
Lady Chatterley? Too early.
Delta of Venus? That seems too scandalous for Jeopardy.

Henry Miller it is.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

bomtr wrote:I'm thinking this was one of those fourth podium days. Lots of trash lying around; I think it was enough but have to wait for the archive to verify.
i just added it up for me, and my $10,600 in lach trash plus an instaget on FJ wins this one from the fourth podium. amy probably played the best, but it didn't look like she really wanted to win. what a very appropriate game to feature a DD on "underwhelmed".
Austin Powers wrote:Honestly, I did pretty well on the game in general and FJ wasn't a sweat, but I had two bad negs with Annapolis instead of Albany and orrery instead of clock. Obviously I ran alcohol.
i thought about orrery, but "feast calendar" convinced me to switch my neg to almanac. grr. next time i do that, maybe almanac will be right for once. i had another neg with manchester instead of london on marx $600; unfortunately, it was engels who lived up there, not marx. the placement for $600 had me worried about manchester with no TOM, and i considered london but ultimately got it wrong. at least albany was no problem—there was a clue on william kennedy's albany cycle in my first game.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Didn't Kennedy write several books set in Albany? I read the trilogy years ago.
davey

Post by davey »

Johnblue wrote:Didn't Kennedy write several books set in Albany? I read the trilogy years ago.
Most (all?) of his books are set in Albany. One of them - Ironweed - won the Pulitzer Prize and was made into a movie with Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep, so...not so obscure.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

davey wrote:
Johnblue wrote:Didn't Kennedy write several books set in Albany? I read the trilogy years ago.
Most (all?) of his books are set in Albany. One of them - Ironweed - won the Pulitzer Prize and was made into a movie with Jack Nicholson and Meryl Streep, so...not so obscure.
They may not have intended the "Pulitzer Prize winner" part of the clue this way, but I fixed on NY as being the state where Pulitzer Prizes are awarded, and got it that way.