Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by HugoZ »

I suspect the horrible sound I heard about 7:26 PM was the collective shriek of Matt's family and friends as WPXI broke away to show all of the pretty colors with lightning bolty symbols two counties over just before Matt's reveal, and didn't come back until the closing credits.

Hope they put the phones straight to voicemail, as the over/under on irate phone calls from Pittsburgh retirees is probably in 3 figures.

Congrats to Matt, who I believe is the first Southwestern PA Champ since the vampire from "Look At This ******* Jeopardy Contestant".

- Hugo Z Hackula
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

Austin Powers wrote:The thing with Tampa Rays is that "Rays" is right ...
Incidentally, I have two tickets for the next Green Packers game, and you're invited.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

Budphrey wrote:
Incidentally, I have two tickets for the next Green Packers game, and you're invited.
Sorry, I believe I am watching the North Carolina Panthers and the New Saints in a big division matchup that week.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wouldn't have minded if the contestant said Devil Rays as that is a former name for the team, but Tampa is just plain wrong.

The only hard thing about Quisling for me was understanding the actors.

Bad bet by second place, risked her lock for second when she had no chance of winning. Would have cost her $1,000 if Anna-Lise knew Churchill.

I knew her reign was over when she corrected Alex twice in her interview.
Last edited by Bamaman on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Budphrey wrote:
Not really comparable because again, Green Bay is the actual city. There is no such city as "Tampa Bay" in Florida. St. Pete would have been wholly wrong, nevermind the fact that that's actually where the Trop is.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Be that as it may, Tampa still isn't the team's name.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bamaman wrote: The only hard thing about Quisling for me was understanding the actors.
Hey, give the guy a break. Stefano DiMera, the older character in the first clip, has been dead for nearly a month! Not that he was any easier to understand when he was alive. This was yet another Jeopardy! clue featuring someone who died between taping and air date. Granted, this death was that of a fictional character, not of the actor who played him. Also, Stefano has now "died" approximately 13 times over the last 30 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefano_Di ... 2deaths.22 This includes instances where he faked his death, was presumed dead, or was reported dead by others.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I came up with Churchhill, but it wasn't an instaget, and in fact for me was the WAG of WAGs, and I put it just to have something to say.

IMO, Tampa Rays should not have been accepted. If he had said just "Rays," it would've been allright, but when you add Tampa you commit yourself to the "Bay" part of that. Kinda like when you give just a last name and it's allright, but if you give the wrong first name you get negged.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

jeff6286 wrote:
Bamaman wrote: The only hard thing about Quisling for me was understanding the actors.
Hey, give the guy a break. Stefano DiMera, the older character in the first clip, has been dead for nearly a month! Not that he was any easier to understand when he was alive. This was yet another Jeopardy! clue featuring someone who died between taping and air date. Granted, this death was that of a fictional character, not of the actor who played him. Also, Stefano has now "died" approximately 13 times over the last 30 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefano_Di ... 2deaths.22 This includes instances where he faked his death, was presumed dead, or was reported dead by others.
Not to mention the fact that half the people who are currently suspects in his death were just as dead the week before.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Serious question. What do people see in soaps?

(And if anyone says "Is it soft on my hands, does it foam, does it smell good, etc." I will smack them with a bottle of Softsoap.)
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Serious question. What do people see in soaps?
Imagine it's much the same as what country music fans see in country music.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Paucle wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Serious question. What do people see in soaps?
Imagine it's much the same as what country music fans see in country music.
Fair enough, different tastes. Soaps are just a genre I will never understand the draw of, much like superheroes. Or if we want to stay musical, death metal and grindcore.

Really, I only asked that to set up the pun anyway, so eh.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

My mother was a devoted fan of the CBS soaps from when I was a little boy until she died in 2008, a period of more than fifty years. The soaps are like life. They never end (unless they're cancelled). You get to know these people, what they're like, their virtues and faults. One plot line comes to a conclusion, another one begins. And there are no reruns (well, almost none -- sometimes they'll show a rerun on a holiday). That's my explanation, for what it's worth.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

thenextofken wrote:IMO, Tampa Rays should not have been accepted. If he had said just "Rays," it would've been allright, but when you add Tampa you commit yourself to the "Bay" part of that. Kinda like when you give just a last name and it's allright, but if you give the wrong first name you get negged.

It should not have been accepted. That isn't their name and no one calls them that.

Kissinger for FJ and I shouldn't have missed it. I've been to the Churchill War Rooms in London and they have some of his paintings down there and mention of his Nobel.
Frank Hardy wrote:My mother was a devoted fan of the CBS soaps from when I was a little boy until she died in 2008, a period of more than fifty years. The soaps are like life. They never end (unless they're cancelled). You get to know these people, what they're like, their virtues and faults. One plot line comes to a conclusion, another one begins. And there are no reruns (well, almost none -- sometimes they'll show a rerun on a holiday). That's my explanation, for what it's worth.
Pretty much the same here. My Mom started watching DOOL from the day it came on, when she was pregnant with me. It's most certainly one of the first TV shows I ever "saw". I followed it all throughout my early childhood and even into my late teens. My mom still watches it to this day and likely has viewed 99+% of the 11,000+ episodes of the show.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My grandmother watched them and called them her "stories". My mother used to watch one regularly before she decided it was too stupid to put up with. I was hooked for a couple years on One Life to Live and General Hospital, but grew tired of them. I meat to watch the last episode of OLTL for old times sake, but forgot to record it.

The soaps started on radio many years ago, mainly sponsored by Proctor and Gamble (hence the name soap operas) and later moved to TV. They used to dominate daytime TV, but I think only four still exist.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Known more for his role during World War II, what public figure once allowed his paintings to be used for Hallmark greeting cards?

A. George Marshall
B. Douglas MacArthur
C. Winston Churchill
D. George S. Patton

That was a Q on Millionaire today and the player had to jump it. Watching that show gave me the solve on the FJ clue. I don't know who I would have guessed without that benefit.

Lots of poll requests this week. I may have to do a supplementary poll. Cochran will be used for sure since I was also waiting for her to complete the run.

The players got through the baseball category with each player getting at least one, none a TS, and no switching out of it. Good for them. Alex did nothing to fend off letters between Tampa accepted and his adding Devil.

Office Holders was one where I knew what it would be while wishful it would be: manila envelopes, filing cabinet, in box, paper clips, accordion file...

Matt had some good gets and he was quite competent in the B&A category. I get that he's not old enough to get 1999, but those kind of stumpers are painful to see.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Also, what key word(s) in Lunar Fiction for $400 should lead me to Verne?
French. (assuming 'sci-fi' and 'author' were givens.)

Churchill here, locked in on it early but I wouldn't say I knew it. I just knew he got the Lit Nobel for his history writings...most (if not all) of the others got it for fiction. (Edit: two got it for philosophy writings, and one other for history, at least acc'ding to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_No ... Literature . Also, that other history winner would likely be too obscure for even the ToC.)

Also got Quisling. Seemed very undervalued for where it was though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Cochran also invented (will invent) warp drive. Coincidence?

Didn't get FJ (in fact I had a lot of negs this game), got stuck trying to think of the The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich author.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I wish every game had a baseball question and/or category, I'd be the greatest champ of all time.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Frank Hardy wrote:My mother was a devoted fan of the CBS soaps from when I was a little boy until she died in 2008, a period of more than fifty years. The soaps are like life. They never end (unless they're cancelled). You get to know these people, what they're like, their virtues and faults. One plot line comes to a conclusion, another one begins. And there are no reruns (well, almost none -- sometimes they'll show a rerun on a holiday). That's my explanation, for what it's worth.
Wrestling/Raw/Smackdown can work in many ways in place of "soaps."