Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by trainman »

alamble wrote:Actually, it's technically more accurate, because Tampa is the city they represent; (though they play in an abomination of a facility in St. Pete) Tampa Bay refers to the area as a whole.
The City of St. Petersburg, I'm sure, strongly begs to differ on the idea that the Rays "represent" the City of Tampa. (In fact, I note that the special "1979 throwback" uniforms they'll be wearing for Saturday night's game have the St. Petersburg city seal on one sleeve.)

I assume what Alex's answer sheet said was "Tampa Bay (Devil) Rays," showing that it would have been acceptable with or without "Devil," and he just read the entire thing in giving "the answer we were really going for" after the "Tampa Rays" response was ruled correct.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Hmmm... if "Devil Rays" was acceptable for Tropicana Field, would the Angels have been acceptable for Wrigley Field?
billy pilgrim
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billy pilgrim »

Paucle wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:I'd like to see the $1000 clue in "Fly Girls" included in the weekly poll. I'm curious to see if anyone here knew the first woman pilot to break the sound barrier.
I precalled both that and Heinlein in their respective spots, actually.
Well, I didn't do THAT well, but I knew both answers.
Well I got the Heinlein. Read the book and it's also the title of a great song by Jimmy Webb. I like the Linda Ronstadt version, FWIW.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

MarkBarrett wrote:Known more for his role during World War II, what public figure once allowed his paintings to be used for Hallmark greeting cards?

A. George Marshall
B. Douglas MacArthur
C. Winston Churchill
D. George S. Patton

That was a Q on Millionaire today and the player had to jump it. Watching that show gave me the solve on the FJ clue. I don't know who I would have guessed without that benefit.
Being in (I assume) the only market that has J! first, I laughed when this question came up. I did get FJ!- I wasn't confident that Churchill was an artist (sounded vaguely), or, as was already mentioned, that he would have gotten in a WWII book before his death, but it was better than anything else I had.

Good champ, curious to see how he does next week.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Fishercat wrote:So, who had Churchill in FJ and Quisling at $200? Anyone?
Yep. Both were instagets for me. I was vaguely surprised that FJ was a TS, , and I finally found a category I even more viscerally dislike than Oprah-read ones: Historical Days of Our Lives. Egads, that was tough to suffer through!

Matt looks to me like a pretty strong player, good on the buzzer with a decent knowledge base and adequate wagering skills. I'll be interested to see if he can go far.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I did.

I also arranged my college classes one semester so I wouldn't miss Luke and Laura's wedding on General Hospital, but I'm not proud of that. ;)
Sage on the Hudson

Another day taping the quiz-ling shows

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

Bamaman wrote:I wish they had finished the soap opera category so we won't have to sit through it again in the future.
The category really ought to have been called "Watch your favorite soap opera stars read lines off cue cards."

xxaaaxx wrote:I can live with accepting Tampa Rays, but damnit Alex, they're not the Devil Rays now.
They're also no longer the best team in the American League.

TenPoundHammer wrote:...what key word(s) in Lunar Fiction for $400 should lead me to Verne?
None; you either know that Verne wrote "From Earth to the Moon," or you don't. Believe it or not, some clues are like that, and always have been.

Austin Powers wrote:Seriously, weatherman, why don't you tell me what the Doppler finds up your ass while you're at it.
A simple anemometer will do for that body part.

Hand goes up.

Budphrey wrote:Incidentally, I have two tickets for the next Green Packers game, and you're invited.
Sarcasm. Do you mean the Packers won't be playing any rookies this coming season?

jeff6286 wrote:Stefano has now "died" approximately 13 times over the last 30 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefano_Di ... 2deaths.22 This includes instances where he faked his death, was presumed dead, or was reported dead by others.
Isn't it about time he played Mark Twain, then?

Vanya wrote:Cochran also invented (will invent) warp drive. Coincidence?
No, Zephram Cochrane will invent warp drive (though whether he'll look like Glenn Corbett or James Cromwell is still undecided).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I wild guessed Kissinger, pretty sure it was wrong because the clue said "wrote" and not "has written." The clue was straightforward and I probably should have gotten it right, but I kind of got stuck on "person who was in power during a war or wars," which was broad enough to paralyze me the moment I came up with someone vaguely plausible.

During the first Days of Our Lives clue, an actor said "latest" while "lastest" appeared below on the screen.

edit: made a typo talking about a typo
Last edited by seaborgium on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Paucle wrote:Hmmm... if "Devil Rays" was acceptable for Tropicana Field, would the Angels have been acceptable for Wrigley Field?
The Highlanders play at Yankee Stadium. So do the Baltimore Orioles.
chip
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by chip »

I think "Tampa Rays" is acceptable since "Rays" (and probably every other team nickname) would have been taken by itself.

Sure, just as Alex would have accepted Boston Sox for Fenway Park.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

alietr wrote:I, too, liked the Days of Our Lives category. Overly verbose, but at least it wasn't about Days of Our Lives!
You're entitled to like what you like, but to me this kind of tricking the show up is nothing but annoying. You don't need to put on a little drama. Just read the stupid clue, already.

Bizarre game for me. Did quite all right in the first round, but did more standing-and-staring in the second round than I've done in a long time. 12 right, 1 wrong, and a lot of HUH?!

Matt really dominated this game. It will be interesting to see if he can repeat.

Meanwhile, Churchill was absolutely an instaget. I recall a photograph of him in his retirement, sitting at the seashore, canvas in front of him, brush in hand.

Happy 4th to everyone out there!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

seaborgium wrote: During the first Days of Our Lives clue, an actor said "latest" while "lastest" appearead below on the screen.
Nice catch. I wonder how a typo like that was able to make it onscreen. I would think lastest would get caught by any simple spellchecker, while a mistake like replacing then for than, or something like that would seem much more plausible. I'm guessing Alex reads over all of the clues before the game, to make sure that everything he is going to read is worded properly, but I wonder if he doesn't bother looking at the text that accompanies video clues, since he doesn't have to read them?
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Raises hand, pumps fist, shakes head at undervalued Quisling.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

I had Churchill & Quisling! :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I got them both right away. I picked the wrong Catholic dude in the second box and got the third one right, forgot what it was.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:Didn't get FJ (in fact I had a lot of negs this game), got stuck trying to think of the The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich author.
While Churchill came quickly to me, I briefly thought about putting down the person who was the author of the *actual* Third Reich (hey, he *was* a painter, after all!)

As to the whole Quisling/Churchill informal poll, I'll add my name, with a caveat on both. Quisling, as I mentioned in Wednesday's thread, I was spoiled on, but I am familiar enough with the man and his role in history (including dates and places) that I know I would have answered it normally. And Churchill while, as I said, I locked in early, I wasn't 100% sure he was a painter, or made that many books about the war (presumably after his time in office). But, he just seemed like the type of person who would both paint and author books about WWII in his retirement, so I was confident enough to lock it in.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Judy5cents
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Judy5cents »

I got hooked on General Hospital when I happened to turn on the TV and see this really cute guy on the show playing Nurse Jessie's nephew. He was written out of the show after a few months, but he showed up five years later in Star Wars. It was Mark Hamill. That was one of the fun thing about watching the soaps. You got to see famous people before they were famous. Like Kate Jackson as a ghost on Dark Shadows.

Soaps were a big deal in the 1980s--we had nothing else to do. College students would gather in front of the big TV screens in the student union to watch the ABC afternoon line up from Ryan's Hope to General Hospital. I was a big fan of All My Children, and at one time could have named all of Erika Caine's husbands.

I got Winston Churchill. He was the one person I could think of who knew a lot about World War II and also painted.

Today on NPR's "Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me," the triple stumper of Cincinnati's nick name of Porkopolis popped up in the "Not My Job" segment. Just one of those "I just heard that on Jeopardy! yesterdat" moments. Drew Carey knew it. And I did too, but I grew up there.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

chip wrote:I think "Tampa Rays" is acceptable since "Rays" (and probably every other team nickname) would have been taken by itself.

Sure, just as Alex would have accepted Boston Sox for Fenway Park.
I wonder if they'd have taken BoSox (a commonly used nickname for them)?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Judy5cents wrote:I got hooked on General Hospital when I happened to turn on the TV and see this really cute guy on the show playing Nurse Jessie's nephew. He was written out of the show after a few months, but he showed up five years later in Star Wars. It was Mark Hamill.
Dude's now a voice actor. I'm stunned.
I got Winston Churchill. He was the one person I could think of who knew a lot about World War II and also painted.
The fact that Churchill was a painter was new to me.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

An unintentional informal poll. Hah. I meant it more in the sense that who would guess we would have a clue for Quisling at 200 and a clue for Churchill in FJ, but I like the way it went. For the record, I got Churchill, missed Quisling.