Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Friday, June 29, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

14 right today. Not bad at all considering I walked in a few minutes late and missed the action before the first break.

For FJ I thought with Painting as a Past time could it have been Jasper Johns since he was famous for the flag painting? Probably not. Could it have been Hemingway since he lived through that time? I never would've come up with the correct answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

FJ was an instaget for me, I knew he had won the Nobel Literature and was also a painter.

They should not have taken Tampa Rays, that is not the teams name. Would they have taken the San Giants?

I wish they had finished the soap opera category so we won't have to sit through it again in the future.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

Nobel Prize Winners
Among the many books he wrote were "The World Crisis", "The Second World War" & "Painting as a Pastime".
Spoiler
Who is Winston Churchill. Anna-Lise had no guess; Jia-Rui said [Gunter] Grass; Matt said Henry Kissinger.

Matt Samberg: $24,400-$3,000=$21,400...now a 1-day champion with $21,400
Jia-Rui Cook: $10,600-$6,000=$4,600
Anna-Lise Santella: $3,200-$3,199=$1
Last edited by jeff6286 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I can live with accepting Tampa Rays, but damnit Alex, they're not the Devil Rays now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I loved how the text in Fly Girl for $600 evened out to a perfect mushroom shape.

Too slow on Scald to run Heated Words. Presure kept me from running Science; couldn't think of anything.

3/5 on Stadiums, much to my surprise. Blanked on Colorado Rockies (kept repeating "Denver" hoping that something would come up, but no such luck) and said Marlins for Devil Rays.

Quisling at $200? Really? Ouch.

Also, what key word(s) in Lunar Fiction for $400 should lead me to Verne?

I think my Lach Trash on "Space: 1999" is yet one more thing I owe to FoxTrot. (As an aside, I don't know why I'm so very afraid to sample anything with a sci-fi/space setting. Something in me wants to get into the genre, which is totally foreign to me since I never got a lot of serial TV or movies growing up, but something keeps holding me back. Among other things, I tried watching Firefly since I'd heard good things about it, but got 20 minutes in and didn't understand a thing.)

I said "I have no friggin' clue" before Alex was done reading the clue.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

More or less a pleasant episode. I was surprised at some of the whiffs but happy to see questions like Heinlein answered. I liked the enthusiasm of the middle contestant but after awhile it was like, I get it, you're happy to get that question right, but perhaps pick another question as you are behind. Incidentally I believe that's the plot of the opera Jai Rui Dismissed from Jeopardy.

The FJ was more or less an instaget. I say this assuming the answer was Churchill, as the fucking idiot twits at the weather station broke in just after the end of the think music. No shit, those gathering clouds and thunder indicate the presence of a coming storm?

I wish we could have seen all of the Soap Opera history. I find them to be an exception to the talky celebrity clues as they are usually funny and reasonably on point. Starting with Quisling at 200 was a bit much though.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Austin Powers wrote:I say this assuming the answer was Churchill, as the fucking idiot twits at the weather station broke in just after the end of the think music. No shit, those gathering clouds and thunder indicate the presence of a coming storm?
Does your weatherman also take 10 minutes to say that because he can't string two words together in a coherent fashion?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The thing with Tampa Rays is that "Rays" is right, so just so that. Ugh! Ditto don't say Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill KG etc (unless you want to be a black hat). (And we still need a black hat.)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I say this assuming the answer was Churchill, as the fucking idiot twits at the weather station broke in just after the end of the think music. No shit, those gathering clouds and thunder indicate the presence of a coming storm?
Does your weatherman also take 10 minutes to say that because he can't string two words together in a coherent fashion?
Not only that but he also has to show off all his toys. The next county over has 1300 of SOMETHING which can only be bad news.

Seriously, weatherman, why don't you tell me what the Doppler finds up your ass while you're at it.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

So, who had Churchill in FJ and Quisling at $200? Anyone?

The whole Rays thing was irksome. I can live with them giving her the TB clue, but they shouldn't have, it's not the team name. However, it's just as close as Alex's answer (no Devil man), so it works.

Good game for me, picking up some oddball facts is starting to help out on these games.
alamble

Post by alamble »

Bamaman wrote: They should not have taken Tampa Rays, that is not the teams name. Would they have taken the San Giants?
Actually, it's technically more accurate, because Tampa is the city they represent; (though they play in an abomination of a facility in St. Pete) Tampa Bay refers to the area as a whole. As has been noted, they haven't been the Devil Rays for a couple of seasons now.

That Days of Our Lives category was hideous and should be relegated to the dregs of history.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I liked this board better than the ones we saw the last 3 nights, but it was still just so-so. I do like that there was the Bobby Jones/James Dickey/Atlanta clue last night and then the Atlanta Braves one tonight.

I think "Tampa Rays" is acceptable since "Rays" (and probably every other team nickname) would have been taken by itself.

I was confused by FJ at first and didn't know how to approach it. I thought of Carter first and then Churchill came to mind and I locked him in. It's a good thing that Kissinger didn't occur to me, because I might have gone with him! I thought that Churchill might have died too soon after World War II ended to write a book on it.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Yeah, the Days of Our Lives category was hard to watch in terms of how it was presented, but I liked the clues themselves that were in the category. I wish that the category had been cleared just for that reason.
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

Interestingly, I found the Days of Our Lives category amusing and well presented. That is probably because I was a history major and got all three clues shown correct. I wish we could have seen the other two.
billy pilgrim

Post by billy pilgrim »

I'd like to see the $1000 clue in "Fly Girls" included in the weekly poll. I'm curious to see if anyone here knew the first woman pilot to break the sound barrier.
She caught the Katy and left me a mule to ride.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I, too, liked the Days of Our Lives category. Overly verbose, but at least it wasn't about Days of Our Lives!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

billy pilgrim wrote:I'd like to see the $1000 clue in "Fly Girls" included in the weekly poll. I'm curious to see if anyone here knew the first woman pilot to break the sound barrier.
I precalled both that and Heinlein in their respective spots, actually.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Austin Powers wrote:
billy pilgrim wrote:I'd like to see the $1000 clue in "Fly Girls" included in the weekly poll. I'm curious to see if anyone here knew the first woman pilot to break the sound barrier.
I precalled both that and Heinlein in their respective spots, actually.
Well, I didn't do THAT well, but I knew both answers.