FJs for the 6/25/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 6/25/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:58 pm

Though shot in the chest, Teddy Roosevelt gave a 1912 speech saying, "it takes more than that to kill" one of these animals
89%
A 1905 treaty named for this U.S. city ended a foreign war 7,000 miles away & was actually signed at Kittery, Maine
29%
The 1995, 2003 & 2006 winners for Best Actor all appeared in this 1982 teen comedy
57%
The title of this scandalous novel set in 1930s Paris symbolizes "The disease of civilization"
22%
Among the many books he wrote were "The World Crisis", "The Second World War" & "Painting as a Pastime"
67%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
3%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
2%
THE CIVIL WAR $1000: This bloodiest 1-day battle of the Civil War stopped the first Confederate invasion of the North in 1862
75%
JOHN STEINBECK $2000: John Steinbeck named one of the families in this novel after Captain Trask, a friend of his father
40%
FLY GIRLS $1000: In 1953 she became the first woman to break the sound barrier
13%
I knew the Tuesday FJ clue referred to the Russo-Japanese War.
55%
My guess for the Thursday FJ clue was "The Plague."
17%

Total votes: 99

mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: FJs for the 6/25/12 week

Post by mswanson »

Bamaman wrote:Guessed Of Mice and Men on the book.
Bless your heart. I think even as I was saying it, and getting to the "... From Of Mice and Men?", I was realizing how stupid it sounded and how they wouldn't make the clue so you would have to answer it that way. Bah.

I was KIND OF close on the treaty... Portland-Portsmouth... >:(
Had nothing for Fast Times (though in my defense, I was still thinking about Portsmouth and The Red Pony).
Lindsay spoiled me on Thursday's FJ, so no idea if I'd have been able to dig out Tropic of Cancer in time.
My immediate first thought when I saw "painting" on Friday's was Hitler, clearly flawed for multiple reasons! Churchill came next, luckily.
Antietam was a gimme since I went through a Civil War phase in high school, during which I once watched the movie Gettysburg twice in one day—which is insane, since not only is that movie 4 hours long, it's kind of TNT-quality... #notasgoodasthebook
Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Austin Powers »

mswanson wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Guessed Of Mice and Men on the book.
Bless your heart. I think even as I was saying it, and getting to the "... From Of Mice and Men?", I was realizing how stupid it sounded and how they wouldn't make the clue so you would have to answer it that way. Bah.

I was KIND OF close on the treaty... Portland-Portsmouth... >:(
Had nothing for Fast Times (though in my defense, I was still thinking about Portsmouth and The Red Pony).
Lindsay spoiled me on Thursday's FJ, so no idea if I'd have been able to dig out Tropic of Cancer in time.
My immediate first thought when I saw "painting" on Friday's was Hitler, clearly flawed for multiple reasons! Churchill came next, luckily.
Antietam was a gimme since I went through a Civil War phase in high school, during which I once watched the movie Gettysburg twice in one day—which is insane, since not only is that movie 4 hours long, it's kind of TNT-quality... #notasgoodasthebook
TNT quality for a reason - it was bankrolled by Ted Turner, who owned late, great New Line Cinemas at the time, so he scrapped his original plan to have it air on TNT and had it sent to the theaters. He actually has a small cameo IIRC.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Austin Powers wrote:
mswanson wrote:Antietam was a gimme since I went through a Civil War phase in high school, during which I once watched the movie Gettysburg twice in one day—which is insane, since not only is that movie 4 hours long, it's kind of TNT-quality... #notasgoodasthebook
TNT quality for a reason - it was bankrolled by Ted Turner, who owned late, great New Line Cinemas at the time, so he scrapped his original plan to have it air on TNT and had it sent to the theaters.
I remember this. Decent action and historical plot, interspersed with overly dramatic dialogue and overly dramatic beards.

ETA: Noting that today is the 149th Anniversary of Gettysburg Day 1.
Last edited by HugoZ on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Austin Powers wrote:He actually has a small cameo IIRC.
Perhaps he was giving himself a free gift?
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Paucle wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:He actually has a small cameo IIRC.
Perhaps he was giving himself a free gift?
I believe there's more to his appearance, as future plans indicate that he'll be featured more as an added bonus to the DVD box set. It may be when the Pickett's forces are completely surrounded, but that could just be an unconfirmed rumor.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Free gift"? "Added bonus"?

Apparently nobody told me that today was Redundancy Day of Redundancy.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

HugoZ wrote:I remember this. Decent action and historical plot, interspersed with overly dramatic dialogue and overly dramatic beards.
And overly paunchy extras. These Confederates looked to have been eating very well on the front lines!
MartinMoore
Contributor

Post by MartinMoore »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I remembered Jacqueline Cochran from Chuck Yeager's autobiography (a terrific read, btw).
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

MartinMoore wrote::mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:

I remembered Jacqueline Cochran from Chuck Yeager's autobiography (a terrific read, btw).
I read it, and I didn't (it was a long time ago).
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

These results are surprising to me. How does anyone get the last FJ?

Do you just have to know of J!'s love affair with Winston Churchill? They seem to jam it into your head, that Churchill wrote about history and won the Nobel Prize. But, this is very much an improper and unfair basis on which to sort out winners and losers.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Austin Powers wrote:TNT quality for a reason - it was bankrolled by Ted Turner, who owned late, great New Line Cinemas at the time, so he scrapped his original plan to have it air on TNT and had it sent to the theaters. He actually has a small cameo IIRC.
One of my five stories on my card was how Ted Turner called me a yo-yo. Unfortunately for the world, I was only on once.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

stevo4212 wrote:These results are surprising to me. How does anyone get the last FJ?

Do you just have to know of J!'s love affair with Winston Churchill? They seem to jam it into your head, that Churchill wrote about history and won the Nobel Prize. But, this is very much an improper and unfair basis on which to sort out winners and losers.
Based on this week's results, I'd say making people know "Tropic of Cancer" is more unfair.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

stevo4212 wrote:These results are surprising to me. How does anyone get the last FJ?

Churchill is an important world figure that many of us have read about, because we're interested. (Like TR.) And yes, his books of history and his Nobel are going to be in in any biography, even a short one, about him. (His painting, maybe not, but whatever works...!) Interest in many different subjects is exactly how winners and losers get sorted out.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:mrgreen: :cry: :mrgreen: :cry: :cry:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :cry:
No/no

Not one of my better weeks.
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

mswanson wrote:
HugoZ wrote:I remember this. Decent action and historical plot, interspersed with overly dramatic dialogue and overly dramatic beards.
And overly paunchy extras. These Confederates looked to have been eating very well on the front lines!
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :roll: :lol:
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Complaining about Churchillian(!) questions is like whining about categories about the Bible, sports or politics.
mswanson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mswanson »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
mswanson wrote:
Hey, I resemble that remark!!! :roll: :lol:
I'm fine with that!! You're not supposed to be historically accurate!
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :mrgreen: :( :(
:( :( :(
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

davey wrote:

Churchill is an important world figure that many of us have read about, because we're interested. (Like TR.) And yes, his books of history and his Nobel are going to be in in any biography, even a short one, about him. (His painting, maybe not, but whatever works...!) Interest in many different subjects is exactly how winners and losers get sorted out.
i suppose so, I just suck at this game.

The question is why let so much depend on one question? Oh well, I guess that is how the game has always been played.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

stevo4212 wrote:The question is why let so much depend on one question? Oh well, I guess that is how the game has always been played.
That's why it's called Jeopardy!

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.