Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

Facts & Figures
With only 58% of residents, this U.S. state has the lowest percentage of licensed drivers.
Spoiler
What is New York?

Stephanie Fontaine: $12,600+$100=$12,700...now a 1-day champion with $12,700
Ron KIng: $10,000+$2,401=$12,401
Chris Sullivan: $6,200+$1,000=$7,200
Last edited by jeff6286 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 »

I can't wait to see the wagering discussion today. I think I understand the wagers of first and second, but I can't say it's what I would have done.

Had a discussion about FJ!'s topic yesterday, roughly, so that helped significantly.

I love watching J! early during summer vacation, except I have to wait 7 hours for anyone to join in the discussion :)
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I started off very slow. Only 1 right at the first break and 6 right total at the end of the first round before getting 10 right for DJ, bringing my score for 16 today.

For the Seven Wonders clue, I guessed The Great Pyramid of Giza and I'm sure others did too.

As far as FJ goes, I didn't know it but when Alex read the correct answer, it made sense.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Yessssss, living in NYC finally pays off on a Final Jeopardy. 3/4 this week!

How bout them wagers?
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Figures that the all-in suicide wager would've won.

For FJ I spent a bunch of time trying to think of geographical reasons why such a low % of residents would be drivers, then gave up and WAGged NY. In hindsight, it makes sense, with all the mass transit, but 58% still seems awfully low. Those 58% sure do clog up the roads.

Also, a moment of silence for all the Daily Doubles that Chris flushed down the toilet :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

xxaaaxx wrote:For FJ I spent a bunch of time trying to think of geographical reasons why such a low % of residents would be drivers, then gave up and WAGged NY. In hindsight, it makes sense, with all the mass transit, but 58% still seems awfully low. Those 58% sure do clog up the roads.
*nod* I started off with Alaska, figuring that those living in BFE probably would bother with too many drivers, but then mass transit came to me and NYC was it.

Is Shutterfly all that well-known? Seemed over-valued to me.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

A three-way tie at the first commercial break is pretty rare, no? I don't recall it happening much if at all.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

These guys had a gangbusters J round. Hottest start in some time. You could tell it was going to be a tight game, which is why it's a shame that guy only bet $1000 on the DD. He was gonna need it!

DJ was a little rougher, I don't fault them for not knowing 50 Ways To Leave Your Lover by specific lyrics, though jackboots surprised. Tungsten also a surprise TS. I was also surprised that as a group they didn't run actors - the TS on Chris Hemsworth was especially surprising. Ok Turturro I understand, it's an older movie and seen less than it is referred to.

The Shakespeare category could have literally just been one word mentions - Tybalt - Laertes - Cassio - Oberon - Fleance.

Turns out the middle guy was smart to bet small on his two DDs in the DJ round, but gosh that's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table. I would have been awfully awfully tempted to go all in down that much on the Shakespeare DJ at the end. BTW I am assuming they just forgot about the DD because there was no hunting there at the end. IIRC his bet actually took him out of range of first. Not that it mattered.

I am curious as to who got "double." Granted, a double is a... double of whiskey, but I think the clue sacrificed clarity in favor of quirky wordplay involving Wild Turkey.

Didn't get DLM, "food company" and a generic slogan doesn't help me.

On FJ I went back and forth between NY and Hawaii before crossing out... New York. I figured upstate had quite a few drivers, and Hawaii seemed like, as a series of islands, a place where a lot of people could do without. I crossed out New England thinking none of those states were especially noteworthy relative to each other to be a likely answer. I feel like with more time I would have talked myself into NY based on the population of NYC being so much.

So the bets were terrible, first has to bet to cover, second has to bet to at least hop ahead of first, and third was probably bad too if I bothered to look into it.

From what I can tell looking online, NY and Texas are basically neck and neck in this statistic; I hope this isn't another one of those National Air and Space Museum questions where it changes every year.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:I am curious as to who got "double." Granted, a double is a... double of whiskey, but I think the clue sacrificed clarity in favor of quirky wordplay involving Wild Turkey.
Nope. Never heard it used in that context.
Didn't get DLM, "food company" and a generic slogan doesn't help me.
That and SFLY were my two misses.
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

I know most people handled "B right" with aplomb, but that was only "partly true" of me.

Final: I lived in NY nearly all my life, and thought of it because of NYC, but the 58% figure seemed way too low. NYC is less than half the population and the outer boroughs are loaded with cars and drivers. I figured the logic of the 58% figure was teasing us towards AK or HI and I guessed HI given AK's vast expanse.

Third (Chris) wagered exactly what the wagering calculator suggested, although I don't know why as it does not win vs 2nd even on a sole get and his advised $2601. Figure the leader either wasn't confident in her knowledge or found the odds favored hedging against the TS.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This board was hard but very good.

I was also surprised by the tungsten triple stumper. You can't be leaving Anti-Masonic party on the board, either.

I was proud of myself for going 3/5 in movie roles; the middle 3 clues in that category were all instant gets. I usually do horribly in movie categories.

For FJ I thought of Alaska and Hawaii immediately and picked Hawaii with some confidence. I didn't really give much thought to the lower 48 states. I think that my biggest mistake was not focusing on how low of a percentage 58% is; I probably should have realized that Hawaii would still be higher than that.

I thought that Stephanie was a dead ringer for a young Lyn Payne (one of my favorite contestants ever).
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

legendneverdies wrote:A three-way tie at the first commercial break is pretty rare, no? I don't recall it happening much if at all.
For one:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=110

BTW I guessed Alaska because you have to use a plane to get to so much of the state. Ah well.

This wasn't a Shore's Conjecture scenario, but I can see how Stephanie might have used something akin to Shoretegic logic to arrive at her wager: guessing that the 2nd-place player would wager only to beat a doubling of the third-place player's score, then wagering small enough to guarantee herself a win if her guess was correct.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

I said New Jersey because it's the most urban. Ruled out NY because of upstate. Oh well.

Turns out NJ is 68%, and Minnesota is at second place with 61.6%. Can anybody explain the latter?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin Powers wrote: Tungsten also a surprise TS. I was also surprised that as a group they didn't run actors - the TS on Chris Hemsworth was especially surprising. Ok Turturro I understand, it's an older movie and seen less than it is referred to.

The Shakespeare category could have literally just been one word mentions - Tybalt - Laertes - Cassio - Oberon - Fleance.

Turns out the middle guy was smart to bet small on his two DDs in the DJ round, but gosh that's potentially leaving a lot of money on the table. I would have been awfully awfully tempted to go all in down that much on the Shakespeare DJ at the end. BTW I am assuming they just forgot about the DD because there was no hunting there at the end. IIRC his bet actually took him out of range of first. Not that it mattered.

On FJ I went back and forth between NY and Hawaii before crossing out... New York. I figured upstate had quite a few drivers, and Hawaii seemed like, as a series of islands, a place where a lot of people could do without. I crossed out New England thinking none of those states were especially noteworthy relative to each other to be a likely answer. I feel like with more time I would have talked myself into NY based on the population of NYC being so much.

From what I can tell looking online, NY and Texas are basically neck and neck in this statistic; I hope this isn't another one of those National Air and Space Museum questions where it changes every year.
Ditto on tungsten; I actually NHO Hemsworth, but had no trouble with Turturro.

I got FJ wrong -- and I live in NYC. Yes, the Empire State is a lot more than Manhattan. NYC has a humongous population, but Manhattan only has about 1.5 million of NY State's residents; and as has been noted above, at least portions of the other boroughs are suburban in character. Plus, at the risk of using Pauline Kael-type logic, my impression is that most people I know here in NYC do have licenses; they just don't have cars (it's useful to have a license for when you occasionally need to rent a vehicle while on vacation or a business trip or whatever. Ironically, though, I've contributed to the statistic in the FJ clue because my license lapsed in March 2011 and I haven't gotten around to reactivating it yet). :mrgreen: So, my FJ response, written with a fair amount of confidence, was Alaska (the logic being there are a lot of places there without good roads).

Paging Mark Barrett: maybe we can get a poll question this week for "I answered Alaska or Hawaii on Thursday's FJ."

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the "octant" DD was really tough, even for a bottom-of-the-board clue. I had never heard of the term before. It certainly wasn't something where a few extra seconds was likely to make a differnce.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: Tungsten also a surprise TS. I was also surprised that as a group they didn't run actors - the TS on Chris Hemsworth was especially surprising. Ok Turturro I understand, it's an older movie and seen less than it is referred to.

Maybe it's just me, but I thought the "octant" DD was really tough, even for a bottom-of-the-board clue. I had never heard of the term before. It certainly wasn't something where a few extra seconds was likely to make a differnce.
It's tricky, but I bet you have heard of its cousin, the sextant. Both, apparently, are "gadgets."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hbomb1947 wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I thought the "octant" DD was really tough, even for a bottom-of-the-board clue. I had never heard of the term before. It certainly wasn't something where a few extra seconds was likely to make a differnce.
I'm with ya, hb. I'd probably have had a better chance if they had left that part off. Once I saw it was a measuring device, I was thinking, ummmm ..... sextant, astrolabe, umm ... *beep beep beep*
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JFanForever wrote:For the Seven Wonders clue, I guessed The Great Pyramid of Giza and I'm sure others did too.
I don't see how, didn't they say one guy built this wonder? Unless you think the pyramids were built entirely by Xenu or something, I don't see how that fits.
Snaxx wrote:Final: I lived in NY nearly all my life, and thought of it because of NYC, but the 58% figure seemed way too low. NYC is less than half the population and the outer boroughs are loaded with cars and drivers. I figured the logic of the 58% figure was teasing us towards AK or HI and I guessed HI given AK's vast expanse.
I guessed Alaska *because* of its vast expanse (having once lived in the north (yes, I'm talking about where a Winnipegger would consider "up north"; Gillam, Manitoba, to be precise. Look it up) I know there wasn't much use for cars, since we couldn't drive them out of town (no roads out at the time we were living there (there is now)), and everything in town was walking distance. (Plus, when you eventually moved to Winnipeg, like most Gillamites wound up doing at some time, they're a bitch to transport south). Never occurred to guess New York, simply because every time I see pictures of New York streets, they're always packed with cars. After all, isn't that why everyone rides the subway, because the streets are too crowded? (Yes, yes, I know someone is going to say the old adage, but the saying was meant in humour ... ) Had two big shocks upon reveal, first that the first player to reveal a "New York" response was ruled correct instead of summarily dismissed (because of my "crowded streets" logic), and second when it was a triple-get!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Snaxx
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Snaxx »

dhkendall wrote:
Snaxx wrote:Final: I lived in NY nearly all my life, and thought of it because of NYC, but the 58% figure seemed way too low. NYC is less than half the population and the outer boroughs are loaded with cars and drivers. I figured the logic of the 58% figure was teasing us towards AK or HI and I guessed HI given AK's vast expanse.
I guessed Alaska *because* of its vast expanse (having once lived in the north (yes, I'm talking about where a Winnipegger would consider "up north"; Gillam, Manitoba, to be precise. Look it up) I know there wasn't much use for cars, since we couldn't drive them out of town (no roads out at the time we were living there (there is now)), and everything in town was walking distance.
I also considered the possibility of Alaska for its people being concentrated in small villages. Maybe visiting Anchorage a few years ago tipped me the other way. I've never been to Hawaii and this article hints I was simply barking up the wrong tree with my guess:
NY Daily News wrote: Honolulu named worst U.S. city for traffic
Friday, May 25, 2012

Anybody who’s ever driven in Los Angeles has faced harrowing traffic jams that stretch for miles and seem to last forever. The same goes for New York City, where congestion on roads is a way of life in the Big Apple.

Believe it or not, neither is the worst U.S. city for gridlock, according to a recent study.

That dubious honor goes to... Honolulu.
http://articles.nydailynews.com/2012-05 ... ck-stretch