Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Thursday, July 5, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote: Nope, but it reminded me of a Family Guy back and forth while they're playing Trivial Pursuit...

Peter: All right, Brian, this one's for you."What naturally occurring element has the highest melting point of all metals?"
Brian: Cadmium?
Peter: Sorry, Tungsten! Dumb ass.
Was there a joke in that?
Was I trying to make a joke?
No, I was simply pointing out a pop culture moment that Tungsten reminded me of.

Oh, the Seinfeld reference didn't have a joke. You gonna rip that too?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

No, but from what I've seen of Family Guy, I wouldn't be surprised if calling someone a dumbass for not knowing what Tungsten was were meant to be passed off as a joke. The same way they pass off "Hey, let's re-create the entire opening sequence of some obscure 80s show with one of our characters spliced in!" as a joke.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:No, but from what I've seen of Family Guy, I wouldn't be surprised if calling someone a dumbass for not knowing what Tungsten was were meant to be passed off as a joke. The same way they pass off "Hey, let's re-create the entire opening sequence of some obscure 80s show with one of our characters spliced in!" as a joke.
I guess you never watched That 70s Show.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Vanya wrote:I guess you never watched That 70s Show.
Actually, no I haven't.
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Vanya wrote:I guess you never watched That 70s Show.
Actually, no I haven't.
Dumbass.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Volante wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote: Nope, but it reminded me of a Family Guy back and forth while they're playing Trivial Pursuit...

Peter: All right, Brian, this one's for you."What naturally occurring element has the highest melting point of all metals?"
Brian: Cadmium?
Peter: Sorry, Tungsten! Dumb ass.
Was there a joke in that?
Was I trying to make a joke?
No, I was simply pointing out a pop culture moment that Tungsten reminded me of.
This was a joke about Peter's being arrogant without cause. He's the kind of guy who clearly wouldn't have known the answer either, if he hadn't read it on the card.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Magna wrote:This was a joke about Peter's being arrogant without cause. He's the kind of guy who clearly wouldn't have known the answer either, if he hadn't read it on the card.
Because God forbid a fictional character should have any likeable traits. Everyone in fiction should be a total jerkass to everyone for no reason, and have the IQ of a turnip to boot.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote: This was a joke about Peter's being arrogant without cause. He's the kind of guy who clearly wouldn't have known the answer either, if he hadn't read it on the card.
Because God forbid a fictional character should have any likeable traits.
Oh gee...where to start...

Iago? Bill Sykes? Major Strasser? The fictional world is FULL of characters designed to be lacking in likeable traits.
Maybe that's why it's called "fiction?"

Maybe every work of fiction needs to be edited by Lauren Faust before being released first?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote:Iago? Bill Sykes? Major Strasser? The fictional world is FULL of characters designed to be lacking in likeable traits.
But see, that's different. All three you named are antagonists.

It's when the protagonist is a total jerk and/or dumbass that it usually rubs me the wrong way. Notice I said usually.
NoName84
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by NoName84 »

I had Utah for Final Jeopardy. I thought high LDS population = high percentage of residents below driving age.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Volante wrote:Iago? Bill Sykes? Major Strasser? The fictional world is FULL of characters designed to be lacking in likeable traits.

It's when the protagonist is a total jerk and/or dumbass that it usually rubs me the wrong way. Notice I said usually.
While Peter may be the eponymous character, I think it's arguable that Stewie is the protagonist of Family Guy.
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Magna wrote:This was a joke about Peter's being arrogant without cause. He's the kind of guy who clearly wouldn't have known the answer either, if he hadn't read it on the card.
Because God forbid a fictional character should have any likeable traits. Everyone in fiction should be a total jerkass to everyone for no reason, and have the IQ of a turnip to boot.
Not that I am defending the show, which I don't much care for, but he does have some positive traits. It's just that erudition, self-awareness, and a sense of fairness are not among them. I.e., he's not above taking a cheap shot at his own dog to make himself feel better.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I've watched it twice & find it sophmoric. But I like crap like Survivor & Real Hoysewives & 30 Rick so to each his own.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

alamble wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:

While Peter may be the eponymous character, I think it's arguable that Stewie is the protagonist of Family Guy.
I think Stewie's also designed to be lacking in likeable traits. Just mostly the opposite ones as Peter.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
marpocky

Post by marpocky »

Johnblue wrote:I've watched it twice & find it sophmoric. But I like crap like Survivor & Real Hoysewives & 30 Rick so to each his own.
Only one of those is crap...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Thanks for the validation!

BTW a friend of mine saw the new Seth "Family Guy" McFarlane movie "Ted" & swears its a laff riot. Might see it myself.
Sage on the Hudson

Biggest thing in NJ not tying up to the old Zeppelin mooring mast in Lakehurst

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

BobF wrote:[Manhattan's] clogged to some extent by drivers from NJ, Conn., and sometimes even PA. Plus tourists.
True, but the biggest problem with NYC traffic is trucks making deliveries -- something the planned Hudson rail freight tunnel would have helped alleviate...until it was vetoed by New Jersey Governor Chris Christie vetoed on the grounds of cost, even though federal funds would have paid for most of it, with NY and NJ picking up only a small percentage.

Oh, well. I suppose if I had Christie's physical dimensions, I'd fear enclosed, tight spaces, too.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

SkeeBallRaif wrote:Re Tungsten: Amazingly, I had been looking at a periodic table earlier in the day where you could adjust a bar to show where the various melting points were and which elements stayed solid at the hottest temperatures. No way I would have known this on any other day of my life, as chemistry is a very weak area for me. Sort of how I learned the capital of Armenia minutes before the January online test which asked the same.

Also, the phrase "What is Tungsten, or, Wolfram?", as said by a Jeopardy-watching George Costanza moments before Alex says the same, was a memorable laugh line in the Seinfeld episode "The Abstinence." (This is after George gives up sex and thus, with his mind now free to focus on other pursuits, becomes a temporary super genius.) Was anyone else reminded of that?

See: http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheAbstinence.htm (search on the page for "Tungsten")
Does my link not work?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Le Master wrote:
SkeeBallRaif wrote:Re Tungsten: Amazingly, I had been looking at a periodic table earlier in the day where you could adjust a bar to show where the various melting points were and which elements stayed solid at the hottest temperatures. No way I would have known this on any other day of my life, as chemistry is a very weak area for me. Sort of how I learned the capital of Armenia minutes before the January online test which asked the same.

Also, the phrase "What is Tungsten, or, Wolfram?", as said by a Jeopardy-watching George Costanza moments before Alex says the same, was a memorable laugh line in the Seinfeld episode "The Abstinence." (This is after George gives up sex and thus, with his mind now free to focus on other pursuits, becomes a temporary super genius.) Was anyone else reminded of that?

See: http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheAbstinence.htm (search on the page for "Tungsten")
Does my link not work?
I wondered the same thing.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

I'm still finding myself asking lots of questions about the state's licensed drivers FJ. It makes perfect sense that New York is number one, due to the huge percentage of its population that lives in or around NYC and relies on public transportation and/or taxis. Illinois is pretty low on the list with just 64.3% of its population being licensed drivers, and I presume that the large metro area of Chicago, like in New York, is the main reason for that low number. Utah is 48th with just 61.8%, so those who guessed that the Mormon population would lead that state to have a substantial portion of its population below the driving age may have been on the right track.
All of these things seem logical to me, but when looking at the map (pictured above) of each state's percentage, I am puzzled by several things. (The numbers on the map are licensed drivers per 1000 residents, so New York, with 58%, shows 580.) Washington, Oregon, Montana, and Wyoming are all around 75%, yet Idaho is only at 68.3%. Why? Wisconsin, Iowa, and both Dakotas are all between 71% and 74%, but Minnesota is 49th, ahead of only New York, with just 61.6%. Why? Alabama is at 80.3%, and Mississippi is at 65.4%. Why? Michigan, Ohio, and Kentucky are all between 68% and 71%, while Indiana sits right between them at 86.4%, highest in the country by a pretty wide margin. I live in Indiana and have no earthly idea why this would be the case.

Taking just the driving age population, Indiana is still first by a wide margin, with 110.7% of its adult population being licensed drivers. Yes, 110%. There are 5 million people age 16 and over in Indiana, and 5.5 million licensed drivers. Is Indiana just terrible at paperwork and recordkeeping, or is there some explanation for this strange statistic? Maybe people who live in Chicago, Louisville, and/or Cincinnati for some reason get Indiana drivers licenses rather than ones issued from their home states? Maybe Indiana's licenses last for more years than most other states, so when people move out of the state they retain their Indiana license for several years? Checking a handful of states online, 4-6 years seems like the most common length of life for a drivers license, and Indiana fits that window, so that theory seems to be a miss. Does Indiana not have a way of removing the drivers licenses of deceased persons? There has to be a reason, doesn't there?

I'm sure there are perfectly logical explanations for at least some of these anomalies, I'm just curious about what some of them might be. A lot of smart people frequent this board, so I would love to hear some theories.

Here is a link to the data from the map in list form, as well as several other columns of data, and also a link to the page that includes the pictured map:
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformati ... 9/dl1c.cfm
http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/policyinformati ... apter4.cfm