Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

karoliner
Valued Contributor

Re: Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by karoliner »

Took me till half way through the music to remember Turandot, because the first name that came to mind was Madame Mao, since Nixon in China happened to be playing at SF Opera just last week. Laughed myself silly thinking how that answer would fly.
Fleeboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Fleeboy »

karoliner wrote:Took me till half way through the music to remember Turandot, because the first name that came to mind was Madame Mao, since Nixon in China happened to be playing at SF Opera just last week. Laughed myself silly thinking how that answer would fly.
Nixon in China was the only Chinese-locale opera I could think of, but Pat didn't seem to fit the clue.
Miss Mellie
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Miss Mellie »

dhkendall wrote:At least I can take comfort in the fact that I seem to be the only (or nearly the only) boardie where "Kursk" was an instaget. I remember the story.

(I say "nearly only" because there are people like AP on the board. And our resident Russophile, Vanya.)
I said Kursk (slowly and with a big question mark at the end) at home but I probably wouldn't have felt confident enough to ring in under the lights!
seaborgium wrote:Someone responded "Grant's aunts" in Rhyme Time a few years ago, pronouncing "aunts" the non-rhyming way, and got credit all the same. http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2970

P.S. That game aired the night before I first taped, and that response came up in green room discussion while I was in the bathroom. One of my fellow contestants-to-be misheard the rhyming pronunciation as "Grant's ass"; when I came out of the bathroom, Maggie said, "Hi Stefan, we were just talking about Grant's ass." I responded, "Who's buried in Grant's ass?"

:lol:

It may be trolling but there's something amusingly Kafkaesque about the whole "the man's name is on the museum even if his name isn't on the museum" position.
karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner »

Miss Mellie wrote:
dhkendall wrote:At least I can take comfort in the fact that I seem to be the only (or nearly the only) boardie where "Kursk" was an instaget. I remember the story.

(I say "nearly only" because there are people like AP on the board. And our resident Russophile, Vanya.)
I said Kursk (slowly and with a big question mark at the end) at home but I probably wouldn't have felt confident enough to ring in under the lights!
I got it too. (Eyes closed) hmmm...Kursk! Just before the end bell. I remember reading an artical called Raising the Kursk years ago which was quite touching.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

xxaaaxx wrote:Do you just...remember all these bits of trivia about past games, or do I just suck at searching the archive?
one of my favorite things about this board is stefan's incredibly detailed memories of past games, especially any of the ones he played in.

nobody (or at least, nobody who's not on my ignore list) has mentioned the one thing that i objected to about the rhyme category, which is that "maverick" doesn't rhyme with "quick". the stress in "maverick" is on mav, not ick, so it only rhymes with other things that end with av'(ə)rik. if you started a limerick* with "there once was a dallas maverick" then, well, you're SOL for lines 2 and 5.

this happened in my ToC quarterfinal, too, where "marmot" was a TS because the category was rhymes with "bot". it's bizarre how jeopardy can be so finicky about some aspects of rhyme but get a totally basic one (like stress) wrong.

i agree with everyone who loves stephanie for keeping the game moving (and playing pretty damn well, despite an ugly start in "starting words"). i'd love to see her keep winning.

* doesn't rhyme with "quick" either
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

jpahk wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:Do you just...remember all these bits of trivia about past games, or do I just suck at searching the archive?
one of my favorite things about this board is stefan's incredibly detailed memories of past games, especially any of the ones he played in.
Thanks, Joon! But a lot of those memories are things I never watched (or watched and forgot about), that I can think to cite only because I've come across them in J! Archive at one point or another. And of course, I often do research to make sure I get the details just right. Before I made my earlier post, I couldn't have told you that "Grant's aunts" came up the night before I taped. I might have been able to remember at which taping the discussion occurred*, but all I could remember without research was that it was fresh in some J! fans' minds.

*Process of elimination: when I was an alternate, I didn't miss any of Maggie's spiel, hence I had no bathroom time during which it would have come up; when I was the returning champ, the summer hiatus had just begun, and the last three weeks comprised shows I'd seen in the studio, shows I'd been in, and Kids' Week shows; moreover, maybe it's too much information, but I consider that bathroom break one of the best choices I made the day I taped.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

jpahk wrote: if you started a limerick* with "there once was a dallas maverick" then, well, you're SOL for lines 2 and 5.
Challenge accepted! (sort of)

There once was a Mav'rick from Dallas
He always found new ways to wow us
His name was Nowitzki
His shooting was nifty
He'd hit cold-blooded 3s with great malice

(Okay, I had to take some liberties with the rhymes, but I bet I could get them past the Jeopardy! judges. Just be thankful I didn't use "phallus".)