Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6416, 2012-07-09

CONTESTANTS
Kelly Regan, an editorial director from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Christy Gibson, a family medicine physician from Issaquah, Washington
Stephanie Fontaine, an analyst from Arlington, Virginia (whose 2-day cash winnings total $35,100)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Kelly, Christy, Stephanie--what a great way to start the week. Welcome, ladies. Good luck. Let's go to work. The Jeopardy! Round is first, and it contains one Daily Double in one of these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LATIN LOVERS NEEDED (0/1)
AIRLINES (4/5)
U.S. OLYMPIC HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES (5/5)
ALSO A BEVERAGE (2/5)
VICE PRESIDENTS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SEAS OF THE WORLD (3/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kelly: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Stephanie: 5 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Christy: 2 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kelly: $2,200
Christy: $800
Stephanie: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kelly Regan is from Philadelphia, and this woman, I understand, always wears either purple or some shade of pink...

Kelly: Hot pink.

Alex: And you're wearing purple today.

Kelly: Yes. That's true.

Alex: How did this start, and why?

Kelly: Um, because I love the colors--they're awesome--and, uh, and actually, my wedding dress was also hot pink, because why wouldn't I wear hot pink on my wedding day?

Alex: Uh-huh. Now if I went to your closet and opened the door, would I receive a blast of hot pink and purple?

Kelly: Yes.

Alex: You would not--nothing else?

Kelly: You wouldn't realize that there were that many shades of pink and purple, but there are.

Alex: There are?

Kelly: Yeah.

Alex: Okay. Well, thank you for enlightening me.

Alex: Christy Gibson is a family physician by day...

Christy: Mm-hmm.

Alex: But a romance and fantasy author by night.

Christy: That's correct.

Alex: Right? Tell me about some of the things you have written.

Christy: Um, actually, my lat--latest book that just came out is a fantasy, and one reviewer compared one of the characters to bob the skull, from the, uh, "Dresden Files" series by Jim butcher, which I thought was extremely flattering.

Alex: Hey--

Christy: I was very happy to get that.

Alex: Good for you. I hope it sells as well as the reviews indicate.

Christy: I hope so, too. Thank you.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Stephanie Fontaine is our cha--champion. She made a diorama... of sorts.

Stephanie: Not of sorts--it was of... it was a Peeps diorama depicting--

Alex: Peeps.

Stephanie: Yes.

Stephanie: Um, you may have known The Washington Post has an annual contest for this. Um, I haven't--I didn't enter this in the contest, but the diorama depicted the Battle of Manzikert, which took place in 1071, so you had Seljuk Turk Peeps on top of little horse Peeps, and then the Byzantine Peeps were on the other side. They had swords, they had, you know, uniforms. It--the works. It was possibly the most geeky thing I've ever done.

[Laughter]

Alex: I have a feeling that... you will do something geekier in the near future.

I hope so. [Chuckles]

Alex: Now before we move on, I have some bad news for you. I kind of tipped the correct response on that Coca-Cola clue in the beverage a little while ago.

Stephanie: Okay.

Alex: I blurted out "coke", and you came up with "coke". So we're not gonna penalize you, but we are not going to credit you with the correct response, so we're gonna take away just $200.

Stephanie: Okay.

Alex: All righty? But you have command of the board right now. $600 is your total, and you get to pick the next clue.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie found the Daily Double on the 18th clue. Stephanie had $800, Christy had $800, and Kelly was at $2,200. Stephanie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $800.

VICE PRESIDENTS $400: He was the last Democratic Vice President to become president
(Stephanie: Truman?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AIRLINES $1000: A consortium, SAS is short for this airlines system
(Stephanie: What is Swedish?)
(Kelly: What is Scandinavia?)
(Alex: That's it. No. No, sorry.
You were close.)
(Kelly: [*].)
(Alex: It's [*] Airlines System, yes.)

LATIN LOVERS NEEDED $200: This 2-word phrase means "after midday" & is often abbreviated to refer to a time of day
(Stephanie: What is post-meridian?)
(Christy: What is apres-midi?)

ALSO A BEVERAGE $200: Coal residue, not to be confused with a popular soda
(Christy: What is Coca-Cola?)
(Alex: [*], that's--yes. No. No, sorry. Stephanie.)
(Stephanie: What is [*]?)
[Initially credited, but as Alex had already given out the correct response, the $200 was deducted from Stephanie's score during the first break.]

ALSO A BEVERAGE $600: Dustin Lance Black won an Oscar for writing this 2008 film

ALSO A BEVERAGE $1000: The dictionary says it's "a person regarded as being assured & artfully ingratiating in manner"

VICE PRESIDENTS $1000: This Kentuckian was 71 when he became Truman's vice president in 1949, the oldest VP in history

SEAS OF THE WORLD $600: The Bellingshausen Sea, an area around this continent, is named for the second man to circumnavigate it

SEAS OF THE WORLD $800: Part of the Pacific, the Arafura Sea connects via the Torres Strait to this other sea named for an ocean polyp

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kelly: $4,400
Christy: $800
Stephanie: -$200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KNIGHT TIME (4/4)
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
RACHEL (3/5)
LIFE OF PI (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
THAT CHARACTER HAS AUTHOR! (4/5)
"M-S" WORD (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Stephanie: 13 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Kelly: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Christy: 0 R, 4 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $8,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Stephanie snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Stephanie had $600, Christy had $800, and Kelly was at $4,800. Stephanie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $600.

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1200: Appropriately, the song "Back In The U.S.S.R." mentions this Russian instrument

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Stephanie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Stephanie had $9,200, Christy was in the red with -$1,200, and Kelly was at $7,600. Stephanie wagered $1,200.

LIFE OF PI $1600: Eureka! around 250 B.C., this sage of Syracuse estimated pi at around 22/7
(Stephanie: Who is Pythagoras?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew presents the clue from the Lesedi Cultural Village in South Africa.) This word that's now associated with Latin American music comes from Africa, where it describes many types of xylophones like these

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS $2000: For some reason, a 3D Legend of Zelda game is subtitled this instrument "of Time"
(Christy: What is harp?)

RACHEL $400: She & Daniel Craig play a married couple in "Dream House" & took their work home with them, marrying secretly in 2011

RACHEL $2000: This Aussie actress went American to play Sarah Walker on "Brothers and Sisters"

THAT CHARACTER HAS AUTHOR! $1200: Paul Atreides, who has a rough go of it on Arrakis (the original author, please)

LIFE OF PI $800: In 1949 this acronymical computer found pi to more than 2,000 digits; modern ones have passed 2 quadrillion

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Stephanie: $14,400
Kelly: $8,800
Christy: -$6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOBEL PRIZE-WINNINGS SCIENTISTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Stephanie: Wager $3,201 to cover Kelly.
Kelly: You have the hope of surpassing Stephanie if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $8,800.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this

FINAL SCORES
Kelly: $8,800 - $7,000 = $1,800 (What is nuclear physics) (2nd place)
Stephanie: $14,400 + $5,000 = $19,400 (What is DNA) (35101-day champion: $19,400)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Stephanie: $17,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Kelly: $8,800, 19 R, 3 W
Christy: -$6,400, 2 R, 6 W
Combined Coryat: $19,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kelly: 19/58 = .328
Stephanie: 19/61 = .311
Christy: 2/58 = .034
Team: 40/63 = .635

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AIRLINES $200: The logo of this airline based in Georgia is seen here

VICE PRESIDENTS $200: Recent holder of the office seen here

VICE PRESIDENTS $600: The son of a Methodist minister, this vice president graduated from the University of Minnesota law school in 1956

SEAS OF THE WORLD $1000: The Lincoln Sea stretches from Cape Columbia, Canada to Cape Morris Jesup on this large island to the east
(Stephanie: What is Baffin Island?)

THAT CHARACTER HAS AUTHOR! $1600: Jurgis Rudkus, a worker in the Chicago stockyards
(Kelly: Who is Theodore Dreiser?)

LIFE OF PI $2000: Johann Lambert wasn't delusional in 1761 when he showed that pi is one of these numbers
(Christy: What is a prime number?)
(Kelly: What is an imaginary number?)

KNIGHT TIME $1600: The name of these identifying designs comes from their use on the surcoat worn over a knight's armor
(Christy: What are heralds?)

"M-S" WORD $1600: This Greek word refers to one underlying system of beliefs of a social group
(Christy: What are mantras?)

"M-S" WORD $400: A celebration of the Eucharist
[End-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Lyndon Baines Johnson
Scandinavian
post-meridiem
coke
Milk
a smoothie
Alben Barkley
Antarctica
the Coral Sea
a balalaika
Archimedes
a marimba
Ocarina of Time
Rachel Weisz
Rachel Griffiths
Frank Herbert
ENIAC
DNA
Delta
Dick Cheney
Walter Mondale
Greenland
Upton SInclair
an irrational number
a coat-of-arms
mythos
mass
TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Weird game for me. Only 3 right in J!, but 11 in DJ!

I have never before heard "smoothie" to describe a person. I even precalled Coke but didn't say it when it came up since I forgot the ash meaning of it.

What TOM for Egypt did I miss on Pi for $400?

I always get Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis mixed up, so I clammed there.

Thought Musical Instruments would be a run, but I forgot balalaika and couldn't understand what $1600 was asking for. I thought they were asking for a musical style, the way the clue was worded.

Lach Trash on Ocarina and Archimedes.

Didn't have a guess on FJ!

Also, minus $6400? Can you say "crash and burn"?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by xxaaaxx »

...but didn't you tip off a contestant to the right answer last week without taking back the money? Eh whatever.

That was brutal. Not sure if it was 'fourth podium' brutal, but definitely ugly to watch. That Archimedes DD was a gimme, and 'irrational' for (2k?) was even easier, and they still struggled (prime? imaginary?!?!?!). Is -6400 a record?

FJ was an instaget gimme.

I glared at the screen mumbling 'ocarina' under my breath, but I knew none of them would get it.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

The J round was funny. So, geography gave them trouble, but somehow I don't think the somewhat lower scores reflected their gets - they had some negs tossed in there which drug things down. I recall them missing Alben Barkley, the "smoothie" clue which would surprise me if anyone got it, and a couple of the bodies of water. Nothing else jumping out at me. I think the SAS question, where they got it, but then they didn't, was emblematic.

The lady at the end... after running through the Olympics I thought she might roll over everyone.

Then DJ came - the champ came back strong, had some nice gets, picked up on other's negs, and did well overall. Literature didn't seem rough - it seemed like everything was pretty much the same difficulty, with the difference between Faulkner and Heller being minimal. Knights wasn't too crazy, the M_S word one was pretty fun... I actually liked this board quite a bit.

I didn't pick up on the TOM at all and said that pi was "transcendental," which is it, but not what they wanted or what Lambert showed. I also said UNIVAC then ENIAC then finally decided it had to be ENIAC, whew! UNIVAC seems vaguely 1951 in my mind for some reason.

Final wasn't too tough, it felt really like piecing together what kind of "thing" they wanted - once it was clear it was a SUBSTANCE, and not a branch of physics, for example, DNA became the pretty straightforward answer. I will grant that nuclear physical processes DO occur in the nucleus of the cell, but then they really occur everywhere on planet Earth.

The champ had a nice rally but really she should bet more aggressively on DDs I feel like, she has something of a phobia about falling under $0.

Speaking of falling under $0, so perhaps the middle lady took a wrong turn heading to the Wheel of Fortune lot.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

xxaaaxx wrote:...but didn't you tip off a contestant to the right answer last week without taking back the money? Eh whatever.

That was brutal. Not sure if it was 'fourth podium' brutal, but definitely ugly to watch. That Archimedes DD was a gimme, and 'irrational' for (2k?) was even easier, and they still struggled (prime? imaginary?!?!?!). Is -6400 a record?

FJ was an instaget gimme.

I glared at the screen mumbling 'ocarina' under my breath, but I knew none of them would get it.
Yeah without the obligatory "sweet potato" reference ($1 to Frank Spangenberg) you either have played the game, which is fabulous, or... you stand and stare.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Fourth podium? :?

Jerry vs. Gerry: I always thought it was the former; who says Gerrymander with the hard G?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
ACW

Post by ACW »

I bet Joon insta-got that Zelda question :lol:
ACW

Post by ACW »

Okay, I don't know what "4th podium" is, but this is ugly.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

ACW wrote:Okay, I don't know what "4th podium" is, but this is ugly.
The 4th podium is basically ... if there was a 4th podium up there and you were on it, there would be enough gets for you to win the game.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
I fly quite a bit, but never JetBlue -- and I think the Passenger Bill of Rights was more the ToM, not that it helped. I guessed Southwest.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
The 4th podium is basically ... if there was a 4th podium up there and you were on it, there would be enough gets for you to win the game.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
I fly quite a bit, but never JetBlue. I guessed Southwest.
It mentioned the airline was founded in 2000, which fit the bill... also Southwest is very anti-amenities, in the case of TV screens because they weigh down the plane, need to be fixed... and basically would require you to enjoy the flight, which Southwest is not about.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Thanks gator :)
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

xxaaaxx wrote: That was brutal. Not sure if it was 'fourth podium' brutal, but definitely ugly to watch. That Archimedes DD was a gimme, and 'irrational' for (2k?) was even easier, and they still struggled (prime? imaginary?!?!?!). Is -6400 a record?
1-4-2008 player Heather CHapman(Dan Pawson regular run opponent) had -6200, the lowest recorded score in the J! archive. On CHapman's j-archive page, it is mentioned that a contestant got -3400 in the era of the old dollar values and Joan Kantor admitted when she appeared on Love COnnection(early Trebek J! five timer Elise Beraru also once appeared on LC) in 1989 that her final score when on J! was -5400. Ergo, tonight's score will become the lowest recorded in the archive, not taking into account new v. old dollar values.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Fourth podium, when not referring to the four player QF games on Super J! in 1990, means the player playing at home against the players :)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

This was a weird game. There were some good gets and some good Lach trash left on the board. I liked the board but the difficulty was up and down. Stephanie had some bad negs early (though a few of the clues were neg-baity, in my opinion) but she recovered nicely against some not so great competition.

I thought that the authors category was easy, except that I had no idea on Frank Herbert, in the middle box. I figured that it was one of those sci-fi authors who comes up all the time but didn't know which one.

I agree that Stephanie should have wagered more on the DJ round Daily Doubles. I guessed correctly on Archimedes but wasn't sure on it.

FJ was an instant get.

Ocarina was an instant get. That clue also made me think of a certain boardie.
Atalsyter
Contributor

Post by Atalsyter »

Oh god. I said "nucleus" for the final jeopardy- which would have been deemed wrong I suppose.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

hermia.snow wrote:Oh god. I said "nucleus" for the final jeopardy- which would have been deemed wrong I suppose.
Probably. But if you said RNA you would have been right. Or any of the nucleotide bases. Actually I am not sure why just "nuclear proteins" would be wrong; let's see what the wording of the question is before we pass judgment.
the_phil
60% or Bust

Post by the_phil »

I just remember thinking - "You think Pi is prime? Imaginary? Holy crap."
And then after FJ - "NUCLEAR PHYSICS?!" ::facepalm::
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

hermia.snow wrote:Oh god. I said "nucleus" for the final jeopardy- which would have been deemed wrong I suppose.
"Nucleus" isn't a material or substance (whatever the wording of the FJ was), and I would have to believe it was known well before 1910.

FJ was an instaget here. I was like, what else could it be?

An ugly game, for sure, with all the stand-and-stares.

Some of the clue valuation was strange. In the geography category, $1,000 for a big island to the east of Canada? And in the knightly category, $1,200 for asking what a person would have had something engraved on?

It's amazing that Stephanie had a crush game after going 0-for-3 on DD's. She's tough to figure -- she had some good gets, but flubbed those DD's, all of which were very gettable (especially the LBJ one -- you didn't have to count back very far; and Eureka is pavlovian for Archimedes). Also surprised at her low wagers on all three of them, even though that ended up helping her. One thing in particular that I never understand: if you have $800, why bet $800 rather than $1,000 on a second-row DD?

I wasn't surprised at the judges walking back the $ that Stephanie initially was awarded for "Coke." But there was another clue that should have been gotten under similar circumstances. After the player on the right negged with "Scandinavia" on the SAS clue, and based on the way that Alex rejected that response, how could the middle player not make the leap to "Scandinavian"?

I have never heard "smoothie" used in the non-beverage sense that was asked about in today's episode.

I fell for the "post-meridien" neg bait.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide