Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Austin Powers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Austin Powers »

RandyG wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: I didn't pick up on the TOM at all and said that pi was "transcendental," which is it, but not what they wanted or what Lambert showed. I also said UNIVAC then ENIAC then finally decided it had to be ENIAC, whew! UNIVAC seems vaguely 1951 in my mind for some reason.
UNIVAC, the company, came after ENIAC, the computer. I think the question wording pointed towards a computer name, so I figured it had to be ENIAC. And I've always heard it pronounced en-ee-ack.
Well, the UNIVAC WAS a computer, too, made by the Univac company. The UNIVAC 1 famously predicted Eisenhower winning, so in some way we have it to blame for Watson.

And I always pronounced it something in between en-ee-ack and en-yack.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

davey wrote:OK, I'm gobsmacked, because I've spent my whole life thinking it was post meridian...which is also in my dictionary, with a definition awfully similar to the one for post meridiem...Can a local Latin scholar explain the difference.
From wiki:

"The term "meridian" comes from the Latin meridies, meaning "midday"; the sun crosses a given meridian midway between the times of sunrise and sunset on that meridian. The same Latin stem gives rise to the terms a.m. (ante meridiem) and p.m. (post meridiem) used to disambiguate hours of the day when using the 12-hour clock."

I'm guessing maybe they stick the "diem" suffix on there to cement the "day" part (carpe diem, per diem). Still, seems rather picky to me.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

Volante wrote:FJ I instantly got the accepted answer, but was debating the rest of the music on whether or not to cross out the D and put an R in... (thinking they may have intentionally included someone NOT Watson or Crick to throw us off the DNA trail.) Thankfully my decision to stick with first guess paid off.
Let's wait for the question to be posted, but I don't recall any reason why RNA would be wrong - it's in the nucleus, too, even if it doesn't stay there always.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Here's the FJ clue:

1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this

Again, from wiki:

"Kossel isolated and described the five organic compounds that are present in nucleic acid: adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine, and uracil. These compounds were later shown to be nucleobases, and are key in the formation of DNA and RNA, the genetic material found in all living cells."

So, seems like any of a few responses would be acceptable (RNA and DNA, and maybe nucleic acids/neucleobases).
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:Here's the FJ clue:

1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this

Again, from wiki:

"Kossel isolated and described the five organic compounds that are present in nucleic acid: adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine, and uracil. These compounds were later shown to be nucleobases, and are key in the formation of DNA and RNA, the genetic material found in all living cells."

So, seems like any of a few responses would be acceptable.
And by some coincidence Kossel always did his work in an upper room.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Again, from wiki:

So, seems like any of a few responses would be acceptable (RNA and DNA, and maybe nucleic acids/neucleobases).
You beat my post asking for a Judge's ruling on Mrs. OS's response of RNA. Thanks.
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:

Again, from wiki:

Can't say I get the joke -- or if it even is one. :)
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:

Again, from wiki:

Can't say I get the joke -- or if it even is one. :)
Has the Final Jeopardy about the "upper room" been that long ago?
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Volante wrote:
goforthetie wrote: Pet peeve time: I hate the term "imaginary numbers". All numbers occupy the same spot on the concrete-to-abstract spectrum. i is no less "real" than pi is (or 2, for that matter).
What would you prefer as an alternate terms to differentiate between (R + 0i) and (R + Qi) ?
Well, we already have the term 'complex numbers'. 'Imaginary', in addition to my gripe above, has the problem that it is somewhat ambiguous - often people use it to refer only to complex numbers that have no real part (so 3i would be imaginary but 2+3i would not be).

I have less of a problem with the term 'real numbers', actually. The implication that somehow the number i "doesn't exist" is less direct.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:Has the Final Jeopardy about the "upper room" been that long ago?
Oh yeah, that. Hell, that was a month ago. I usually dump them out of my brain after a few days.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Austin Powers wrote:
RandyG wrote:
Austin Powers wrote: I didn't pick up on the TOM at all and said that pi was "transcendental," which is it, but not what they wanted or what Lambert showed. I also said UNIVAC then ENIAC then finally decided it had to be ENIAC, whew! UNIVAC seems vaguely 1951 in my mind for some reason.
UNIVAC, the company, came after ENIAC, the computer. I think the question wording pointed towards a computer name, so I figured it had to be ENIAC. And I've always heard it pronounced en-ee-ack.
Well, the UNIVAC WAS a computer, too, made by the Univac company. The UNIVAC 1 famously predicted Eisenhower winning, so in some way we have it to blame for Watson.

And I always pronounced it something in between en-ee-ack and en-yack.
I had thought the distinction was between UNIVAC and UNIVAC 1. I didn't realize that the 1 was referred to as simply the UNIVAC early on, but that's what my checking just showed, so I sit corrected.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

RandyG wrote: I had thought the distinction was between UNIVAC and UNIVAC 1. I didn't realize that the 1 was referred to as simply the UNIVAC early on, but that's what my checking just showed, so I sit corrected.
Bah, it's the internet, never admit you could be wrong.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:
Volante wrote:FJ I instantly got the accepted answer, but was debating the rest of the music on whether or not to cross out the D and put an R in... (thinking they may have intentionally included someone NOT Watson or Crick to throw us off the DNA trail.) Thankfully my decision to stick with first guess paid off.
Let's wait for the question to be posted, but I don't recall any reason why RNA would be wrong - it's in the nucleus, too, even if it doesn't stay there always.
Well, that's why I used the word 'accepted' over something like 'right' or 'correct.'

We can decide on our own whether or not something would be accepted, but unless it's explicitly said on the show (or in 1 VERY rare case, a post by TPTB on a forum. See: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3527 ), it cannot be a canonical response.

My relief comes from not having to attach a Roger Maris asterisk to my response. :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

hbomb1947 wrote:
I have never heard "smoothie" used in the non-beverage sense that was asked about in today's episode.
I'll wager neither you nor TPH have ever been called that. :)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:Has the Final Jeopardy about the "upper room" been that long ago?
Oh yeah, that. Hell, that was a month ago. I usually dump them out of my brain after a few days.
Educating yourself by watching Jeopardy!. You're doing it wrong.

(Seriously, I try to make as much stick as possible so I can learn, improve my score on reruns and, ultimately, get on the show.)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Weird game for me. Only 3 right in J!, but 11 in DJ!
Sounds like the same kind of game the champ had, so nothing odd about that.
TenPoundHammer wrote:What TOM for Egypt did I miss on Pi for $400?
Papyrus?
TenPoundHammer wrote:I always get Upton Sinclair and Sinclair Lewis mixed up, so I clammed there.
Sounds like there's a Before & After with your name on it ...

(Edit: Or, there was one, Authors Before & After, $400, in Ken Jennings' game #54)
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
I fly quite a bit, but never JetBlue -- and I think the Passenger Bill of Rights was more the ToM, not that it helped. I guessed Southwest.[/quote]

I would have thought in your situation a clam would be the most prudent, as you didn't seem to be so certain. (I have flown quite a bit (keep in mind, when I was a kid, the only way out of town was by plane), but haven't been on a plane once in the ensuing 32 years (which means I haven't flown Jet Blue or been exposed to DirecTV on a plane))
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BrianneA

Post by BrianneA »

I didn't even need my video-game playing, percussion husband sitting next to me to get Ocarina and Marimba. I was shouting at the screen so much, particularly at "irrational."

Please, no one is called a "Smoothie." And Alex's smirk at the camera just made me groan a second time.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

BrianneA wrote:I didn't even need my video-game playing, percussion husband sitting next to me to get Ocarina and Marimba. I was shouting at the screen so much, particularly at "irrational."

Please, no one is called a "Smoothie." And Alex's smirk at the camera just made me groan a second time.
When I heard 'Smoothie', I asked, 'Has anyone used that term since 1960?'
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I usually run the airline/aviation categories but I guessed Jet Blue for the fancy designer stewardess duds. Air France never entered my mind. I prefer Southwest as a passenger but I deal with Jet Blue much more frequently & their pilots are great.

Tough game to watch with so many previously mentioned odd guesses. The -$6400 finish has to be humiliating but maybe she'll sell some extra books from her appearance. Again, it's highly frustrating to watch this show from home when I just know I could do better. They've got to rethink their contestant selection process.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TPH....Here's something I read on the old board. Reading The Jungle makes you want to upchuck, which was written by Upton Sinclair.

I've heard of someone being called smooth, but never a smoothie.
Last edited by Bamaman on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I call people smoothies all the time but I still get the answer.