Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, July 9, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Hbomb -- The engraving thing was actually in the pi category.

I had no idea that the Latin words for PM were that well known. I had "Post meri-" but didn't know what the ending was. Meridem? Meridiem? Meridian? Mauritania?
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
ACW wrote:Okay, I don't know what "4th podium" is, but this is ugly.
The 4th podium is basically ... if there was a 4th podium up there and you were on it, there would be enough gets for you to win the game.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
I fly quite a bit, but never JetBlue. I guessed Southwest.
It mentioned the airline was founded in 2000, which fit the bill... also Southwest is very anti-amenities, in the case of TV screens because they weigh down the plane, need to be fixed... and basically would require you to enjoy the flight, which Southwest is not about.
Yes, and Southwest goes back much further than 2000. It was founded in 1967.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
soxfan99
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by soxfan99 »

xxaaaxx wrote:...but didn't you tip off a contestant to the right answer last week without taking back the money? Eh whatever.

That was brutal. Not sure if it was 'fourth podium' brutal, but definitely ugly to watch. That Archimedes DD was a gimme, and 'irrational' for (2k?) was even easier, and they still struggled (prime? imaginary?!?!?!). Is -6400 a record?

FJ was an instaget gimme.

I glared at the screen mumbling 'ocarina' under my breath, but I knew none of them would get it.
I've never passed the audition test, but even I would have easily won that game. TS of marimba and ocarina, a missed DD on Archimedes when spotted "Eureka," those aforementioned guesses on PI, and then topped off with an easy FJ. "What did a scientist discover in a cell? -- Nuclear physics??"
Frank Hardy

Post by Frank Hardy »

With three wins & $54,500, Stephanie moves into tenth place in the 2011-13 ToC standings.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Hbomb -- The engraving thing was actually in the pi category.

I had no idea that the Latin words for PM were that well known. I had "Post meri-" but didn't know what the ending was. Meridem? Meridiem? Meridian? Mauritania?
I think it is a fair question, but worth more than its $200 slot.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

hbomb1947 wrote: I wasn't surprised at the judges walking back the $ that Stephanie initially was awarded for "Coke." But there was another clue that should have been gotten under similar circumstances. After the player on the right negged with "Scandinavia" on the SAS clue, and based on the way that Alex rejected that response, how could the middle player not make the leap to "Scandinavian"?
Wellllllll she finished at -$6400, that's how.

I'm trying to be diplomatic, but, yeah that was an awful game. The speed was fine, though, we just didn't get to see every question because of the misses. The only thing that really bothers me are the unrevealed questions, especially when the contestants stand and stare between questions.
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Yeah, that was pretty hard to watch.
fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by fowlerism »

Said "mores" instead of "mythos."

Judges? I suppose it fails to be Greek.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I've always pronounced it ee-neeyac, with a long e at the beginning. Is that wrong?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also had mores.

I think (or at least hope) she knew pi isn't prime, but was desperate to get back in the game and just blurted out the first math term that came to mind.

If the champ had gotten the last $400 clue in DJ and then snagged the unrevealed $2,000 clue, she'd have had a lock-tie.

I had nucleus for FJ, but then DNA came to me just as the music ended. close but no cigar.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Also, I have to say that Stephanie's generic "Analyst" title has definitely got me curious, especially since she's not showing up in LinkedIn and she's from Arlington, home of the Pentagon ...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote:I've always pronounced it ee-neeyac, with a long e at the beginning. Is that wrong?
That's how I've always said it, too.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

the_phil wrote: I just remember thinking - "You think Pi is prime? Imaginary? Holy crap."
And then after FJ - "NUCLEAR PHYSICS?!" ::facepalm::
Truly painful.

Pet peeve time: I hate the term "imaginary numbers". All numbers occupy the same spot on the concrete-to-abstract spectrum. i is no less "real" than pi is (or 2, for that matter).
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

goforthetie wrote:Pet peeve time: I hate the term "imaginary numbers". All numbers occupy the same spot on the concrete-to-abstract spectrum. i is no less "real" than pi is (or 2, for that matter).
"Let's move on to Round 2, Imaginary Numbers. Simon?"

"Twentington."

"That's Numberwang!"

"Frilve hundred and neeb."

"That's Numberwang!"

"Shinty-six?"

"Oh, bad luck, Simon. I'm afraid shinty-six is a real number, as in the popular phrase 'I only have shinty-six days left to live.'"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tonight was a good one for those at home that usually have trouble beating the combined Coryat. 19400 wasn't pretty.

I don't about pronouncing old computers, but I've always said Ocarina as Ah (like following doctor's order) carina and not oh-carina as Alex said it. Which is right? Either way it was gimme trash for a classic game. Barkley was the other trash I knew I had to myself while watching.

You'd think I would learn after the players did the coke/Coca-Cola thing, but I followed it up with hole punch. Jolt for juice left me at minus 1200 for the no fun Beverage category.

Rachel was looking like fun through the first four until I attempted an Aussie blind guess for the run and tried Rachel Ward instead of Griffiths.

Elbridge Gerry was no problem to say the right way since I've seen The Music Man enough times. :04

Here's how lost I was on the FJ clue: My guess was mitochondria. Of course I get tics, flashbacks and the shakes when I see anything Nobel in the category name.
davey

Post by davey »

OK, I'm gobsmacked, because I've spent my whole life thinking it was post meridian...which is also in my dictionary, with a definition awfully similar to the one for post meridiem...Can a local Latin scholar explain the difference?
And of course, because I didn't know a contestant could make so many bad - and I'm afraid, sometimes hilarious - choices...
And then later, because I had no idea DNA was known that far back. I was searching for some substance more venerable sounding, I guess - though I was as likely to say Higgs boson as DNA...
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Geez, that game made me wonder how the two contestants (excluded the champion) got on the show...... Some of their guesses were truly horrendous.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

davey wrote:OK, I'm gobsmacked, because I've spent my whole life thinking it was post meridian...which is also in my dictionary, with a definition awfully similar to the one for post meridiem...Can a local Latin scholar explain the difference?
And of course, because I didn't know a contestant could make so many bad - and I'm afraid, sometimes hilarious - choices...
And then later, because I had no idea DNA was known that far back. I was searching for some substance more venerable sounding, I guess - though I was as likely to say Higgs boson as DNA...
Yes and no. They knew there was a chemical, that was an acid, that was in the nuclei of cells back in the 19th century. It wasn't until the Griffith experiment that there was some experimental foundation that this chemical could be transferred and with that information conveyed. This was some time in the 1920s. By the 1940s a guy named Avery and some others had shown that DNA, in fact, was that carrier of genetic information, and the question became more one of how its structure might make the transfer of information possible. What Watson and Crick did was introduce a chemically plausible double helix structure and explain how it might work. This tied together the knowledge of base pairs existing in certain ratios, the idea that DNA had to replicate in a "semi-conservative" way to both allow itself to be copied while preserving a copy for the original cell, and evidence from X-ray diffraction.

(A little off the subject, a Russian guy whose name escapes me more or less suggested what DNA's role would prove to be back in the 1920s.)

The point is, DNA has been around for a while, but what it did took well over a half century to sort out.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Austin Powers wrote:
econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Oh yeah. Is it well known that JetBlue offers DirecTV? I've only been on a plane once in my life, so everything below $200 in Airlines was pretty foreign to me.
I fly quite a bit, but never JetBlue. I guessed Southwest.
It mentioned the airline was founded in 2000, which fit the bill... also Southwest is very anti-amenities, in the case of TV screens because they weigh down the plane, need to be fixed... and basically would require you to enjoy the flight, which Southwest is not about.
This helped a bit with remembering JetBlue on my part:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JetBlue_Airways_Flight_292
Because JetBlue planes are equipped with DirecTV satellite television, passengers on Flight 292 were able to watch live news coverage of their flight (Vol: a.k.a. their eventual plummet to FIERY DEATH!!) while the plane circled over the Pacific for hours. The in-flight video system was turned off "well before landing".
goforthetie wrote: Pet peeve time: I hate the term "imaginary numbers". All numbers occupy the same spot on the concrete-to-abstract spectrum. i is no less "real" than pi is (or 2, for that matter).
What would you prefer as an alternate terms to differentiate between (R + 0i) and (R + Qi) ?

FJ I instantly got the accepted answer, but was debating the rest of the music on whether or not to cross out the D and put an R in... (thinking they may have intentionally included someone NOT Watson or Crick to throw us off the DNA trail.) Thankfully my decision to stick with first guess paid off.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Austin Powers wrote: I didn't pick up on the TOM at all and said that pi was "transcendental," which is it, but not what they wanted or what Lambert showed. I also said UNIVAC then ENIAC then finally decided it had to be ENIAC, whew! UNIVAC seems vaguely 1951 in my mind for some reason.
UNIVAC, the company, came after ENIAC, the computer. I think the question wording pointed towards a computer name, so I figured it had to be ENIAC. And I've always heard it pronounced en-ee-ack.