Tuesday, July 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by JFanForever »

I got 15 right in the first round, including a sweep on the NFL Draft category. I got 7 right in DJ.

I correctly guessed FJ but it was only a guess, it wasn't something I knew for sure and I've never heard of the quote but he seemed to make the most sense.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping for John Elway in the draft category. Putting Stafford on the Rams kept me from running that category.

Would they have taken just "stock market crash", even after the others had given the wrong date?

It doesn't happen often, but I ran a movie category!!!!!! A day I wish I had been on the show, Apocalypse Now and Butch Cassidy in the 1980s?

I hate to sound like TPH, but I did not know Scott Joplin was black.

Not the best bet on the DD, nearly cost him the game, but he made up for it by betting small in FJ.

I went the wrong way on FJ, had Sam Walton.
JFanForever
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JFanForever »

I thought of Sam Walton as a possibility but went the correct route instead.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Bamaman wrote: Would they have taken just "stock market crash", even after the others had given the wrong date?
Yeah, I was wondering that too. Would have been a cheeky way to pick up the leftovers. If Alex prompts to BMS you could say "The Stock Market Crash of 1929". :)
It doesn't happen often, but I ran a movie category!!!!!! A day I wish I had been on the show, Apocalypse Now and Butch Cassidy in the 1980s?
Apocalypse Now was at least 1979, so it almost qualifies (although the clue did state 1989). More to the point, Apocalypse Now directed by Oliver Stone? Nor did Redford direct Butch Cassidy, or Beatty Shampoo... which, again, wasn't in the 1980's. Painful to watch... and to think that this was the category they went to first, if memory serves...

For FJ, I'm guessing that the writers were going for a) technology (consumers' minds change quickly) that is b) manufactured ("build"). Thought about Michael Dell but dismissed him as too obscure, and, besides, the Dell model is the opposite of what the quote is getting at. Gates didn't really build stuff, nor is MS very sensitive to consumer tastes, so Jobs was my only guess.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Have we had two straight two player FJs before?
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

8-) 8-)

Entrepreneurs: In 1989 he said, "You can't just ask customers what they want...by the time you get it built, they'll want something new"
Spoiler
Steven Jobs
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Surprised at the TS on Jeeves especially when spotted Wooster. That was my only get in that category.

Four years of Spanish, a Peruvian classmate, and a Colombian exchange student, and I never knew that cabana = hut. (I never learned the Spanish words for bacon, otter, or a few other words I use every day, so...) Also didn't see how Gordon & Smith was supposed to lead to surfboards.

Couldn't understand Federal Reserve for $200. What was so "appropriate" about that guy being in the Treasury?

Also, what TOM for "prisoners" did I miss on Australia for $400? Mind wandered on $800, and couldn't suss out that they were asking for a place.

I got Lach Trash on Berry Gordy, but was unaware that Arthur Ashe and Scott Joplin were black, and blanked on Maya Angelou.

Thought Sam Walton at first, then "built" let me into the automotive industry. But I couldn't think of any famous car people who would've been around in the 80s, so I left it blank. Wouldn't have gotten to computers in a million years.
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Anyone else go for Lee Iacocca on FJ?

I did really well this time around, lots of gimmes. The only one I was mad about missing was Berry Gordy. Jennifer...well, as was discussed in yesterday's thread, you have to be good to ge there in the first place, but that was rough to watch.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote:Would they have taken just "stock market crash", even after the others had given the wrong date?
Don't see how they couldn't have. That's what it was.

So .... beach balls generally have 6 panels? Ok, sure ...

For FJ, "built" had me thinking of buildings, so I said The Donald.
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

I'll fess up to missing the beach ball question.

Here I thought "Jeeves" was overvalued and it was a TS.

The champ's knowledge of sports is impressive.

Just. Say. Stock. Market. Crash! As a result, we'll never know what the question, most likely about Bernanke at $1000, was going to be about.

DJ round. It was getting to the point when something, like "Ned Kelly," came up, I knew it wasn't going to be answered. GUT, also. I can get why one person doesn't know movies well, but what's going on when no one knows what Beatty's Oscar is for? That Oliver Stone did not direct Apocalypse Now? This is pretty standard pub trivia stuff. I just don't know what to make out of people not knowing who Berry Gordy is. And three of them, all at once. Just very very strange.

And the middle guy - smh - I don't get betting out of the lead on the DD, when it won't even put the game away. At a minimum, kick the question away with a small bet, then go to the Oscar category since you've got no reason to think the champ is going to get the $2000 there, when no one could get anything else.

The lady on the end - well, at least she rallied enough to show there was a reason she was on in the first place. Some of her guesses were truly mystifying. I'll forward my remarks from yesterday about giving these contestants more practice or something, so they don't seem so camera shocked. It was not pleasant TV.

On FJ I initially said Dell before the remark's condescension led me to Jobs.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't understand Federal Reserve for $200. What was so "appropriate" about that guy being in the Treasury?
I'm guessing you have no clue what the Federal Reserve does.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote:For FJ, "built" had me thinking of buildings, so I said The Donald.
Doesn't Trump just buy buildings and name them for him? He's like a personification of the Westfield group. As a retail nerd, I'm glad we never had to deal with that "Westfield Shoppingtown X" stuff here.

(Also, Simon never gave us anything despite being only one state away.)

Also, one thing I know about Berry Gordy is that his son and son's nephew comprise the abomination known as LMFAO. Nepotism's in the house toniiiiight~
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Bamaman wrote:I was hoping for John Elway in the draft category. Putting Stafford on the Rams kept me from running that category.

Would they have taken just "stock market crash", even after the others had given the wrong date?

I hate to sound like TPH, but I did not know Scott Joplin was black.
Didn't know he was black either, but 'rag' just screamed Joplin.

The thing that kept me from running the NFL cat: Too Tall Jones. I feel like I've missed a clue about him before, too. Clearly, I'm not learning anything. Because of this, I'll go easy on them for missing Jeeves when spotted Wodehouse, Wooster, and valet.

"Stock market crash" was my answer as well. If pressed, I probably would've messed up and said Wednesday.

How does someone reckless and foolish enough to bet 3000 with a (1200?) lead and time running out, suddenly discover wagering restraint in FJ!?

For FJ, I stared at the screen for a while before convincing myself that I didn't recognize the quote, started to say Bill Gates, but figured it didn't sound like it was talking about software, and switched to Jobs.

And no, in my entire life, I have never counted the stripes on a beach ball. But J! thinks I need to know this, so I'll file it away, never to be used again.
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Austin Powers wrote:I just don't know what to make out of people not knowing who Berry Gordy is.
I know exactly who he is ... I just can't stop calling him Gordy Berry. :oops:
DWS
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by DWS »

Tuned in for FJ, which was an instaget. I remember people praising Jobs for making things people would want to buy before they knew it (or something along those lines), which may have been inspired by that quote. The year (1989) also fit with his first stint at Apple. Finally, his name often seems to come up when famous entrepreneurs are mentioned.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

$-6400 IIRC was the lowest score and the finishing score of the in the red player yesterday, but $-6600 was hit by the player in the neg today during DJ!, despite finishing with $-2600.
alamble

Post by alamble »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Four years of Spanish, a Peruvian classmate, and a Colombian exchange student, and I never knew that cabana = hut. (I never learned the Spanish words for bacon, otter, or a few other words I use every day, so...) Also didn't see how Gordon & Smith was supposed to lead to surfboards.
How about the "California beach" part? What else would one use on a California beach?
Also, what TOM for "prisoners" did I miss on Australia for $400? Mind wandered on $800, and couldn't suss out that they were asking for a place.
Australia was founded as a prison colony. Brush up on your history.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I wondered about the stock market because I thought maybe they'd want the right day since someone else gave the wrong one, like you have to give the right first name (and not just the last) if another gets it wrong. I'm surprised the third player didn't take a stab at it with a 1/3 shot of getting it right by guessing.

I had no idea on the beach ball but but rebounded with six after eight was wrong.

I guess the trick to getting the surfboard company is just knowing who makes surfboards. I guessed sun tan lotion.

I knew Joplin did rag, but not knowing his race made me take a clam, only thought was Louis Armstrong, how would you describe his music?

I think on the DD, given that they'd given the time warning, I might have bet to where I had half the leader's score if wrong.