Tuesday, July 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by marpocky »

CyrusChan wrote:tough to lose on a FJ like today where it's pretty much indifferent between Gates and Jobs.
Feels so much more Apple-y, though. Once I glommed onto the computer industry, my mouth went something like "Oh, Bill Ga....noooooooo, Jooooooobs."
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

econgator wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:I just don't know what to make out of people not knowing who Berry Gordy is.
I know exactly who he is ... I just can't stop calling him Gordy Berry. :oops:
The 'I didn't know Scott Joplin was black' thing gets me. That's like not knowing Irving Berlin was white. :roll:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

It is possible to hear of a person's name several times but never see a picture of them. Just sayin'.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

fowlerism wrote:"So, that happened."
-Alec Baldwin as Bob Barrenger, State and Main
One of my all-time favorite movie moments. I use the phrase often.

Man, this game was a frustration to watch. So much trash in this one that I'm almost sure the trash alone would have doubled the combined Coryat, or at least come mighty close. Some very, very strange responses, as has been observed, and second day in a row a contestant seeming to flail away with some pretty wild guesswork. Then both remaining contenders play the endgame as though they've never seen a game of J! before. Minute to go, not far behind, and you don't DD hunt? Just go to the top of the column? So the DD is ceded to the opponent, who makes a fool's wager that blows the lead and would not have enhanced his position had he answered correctly. Nice round number, not too high... Oh, wait; it WAS too high. I was surprised they had time for another clue, but it didn't matter.

I really didn't like the FJ! clue. On the one hand, I didn't find much to pin it to any individual from any number of top businesspeople. On the other hand, I got it right; went with Jobs mostly because of the currency of his death, and the clue fit well enough. I was prepared to be a little miffed if I got it wrong. Still, I had so much trash in the bank by that time, FJ wouldn't have mattered to the fourth podium anyway.
davey

Post by davey »

TenPoundHammer wrote:It is possible to hear of a person's name several times but never see a picture of them. Just sayin'.
And it's also possible to know of a person's ethnicity without having seen a picture of him, since it's mentioned whenever he's written about. I'd be less surprised if people had not heard of him. But I suppose it's more important to know the work than the life.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I've known who Scott Joplin was for a few years now, but only found out he was black last year, when a pub quiz question was "Who is the man in the picture?" Actually, it wasn't until the host gave the correct answer that I found out.

He's been mentioned on J! as an African-American between then and now. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3766 Obsession $800. Tougher clue, but I nabbed it just off of "African-American composer" and "1911."
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Bill Gates never had an original idea in his life.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Why was everyone so drawn to Steve Jobs though? As I said, I wouldn't have thought of the computer industry in a billion years.
I don't remember the phrasing, but something in it suggested a company that is always updating its products, which to me sugested Apple (constantly coming up with new versions of the IPhone, IPod, etc.).
Sage on the Hudson

Now banks rob us

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Couldn't understand Federal Reserve for $200. What was so "appropriate" about that guy being in the Treasury?
I'm guessing you have no clue what the Federal Reserve does.
"We rob banks."

-- Warren Beatty in BONNIE AND CLYDE
Le Master
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Le Master »

Austin Powers wrote: Just. Say. Stock. Market. Crash! As a result, we'll never know what the question, most likely about Bernanke at $1000, was going to be about.
I figured it'd be about Bernanke; possibly relating "the Great Moderation" to him. I really wanted to see that last clue.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

As I recall, Ed "Too Tall" Jones showed up in a very funny episode of Married with Children. He was one of Al Bundy's favorite players, and Al Bundy lived in Chicago. So, I guessed the Chicago Bears. How's that for a logical response, lol? Logic has been failing me quite a lot in trivia lately.

Would have run the Australian History category, darn contestants. I liked the way that woman insisted on Apocalypse Now - sorry, that came out in 1979, right? I can't believe I forgot that Ordinary people was directed by Robert Redford. That's probably my favorite best-picture winning movie. Yet again, a movie that wins best picture will also win the award for its director, right? (with exceptions, of course) I thought Full Metal Jacket was directed by Oliver Stone, so I picked that one.

The Law of gravity reminds me of a funny cartoon where one character tried to break into the bureau where the law was written, and tear it up. haha.

This was actually one of my best games, in a long time.
Last edited by stevo4212 on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

alamble wrote: How about the "California beach" part? What else would one use on a California beach?
I briefly considered boogie board but the year pointed me toward the surfboard.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Four years of Spanish, a Peruvian classmate, and a Colombian exchange student, and I never knew that cabana = hut. (I never learned the Spanish words for bacon, otter, or a few other words I use every day, so...) ...
[HomerSimpson] mmm....bacon... [/HomerSimpson] Spanish for bacon? "Breakfast burrito"

"Otter"? I certainly don't use it everyday, unless "There otter be a law" and "I otter be going" count.
OCSam
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

stevo4212 wrote:As I recall, Ed "Too Tall" Jones showed up in a very funny episode of Married with Children. He was one of Al Bundy's favorite players, and Al Bundy lived in Chicago. So, I guessed the Chicago Bears. How's that for a logical response, lol? Logic has been failing me quite a lot in trivia lately.
I actually had the same thought, but discounted it since Terry Bradshaw also cameoed on M...w/C and he's not a Bear, so no guarantee Jones was ever a Bear.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

stevo4212 wrote:As I recall, Ed "Too Tall" Jones showed up in a very funny episode of Married with Children. He was one of Al Bundy's favorite players, and Al Bundy lived in Chicago. So, I guessed the Chicago Bears. How's that for a logical response, lol? Logic has been failing me quite a lot in trivia lately.

Would have run the Australian History category, darn contestants. I liked the way that woman insisted on Apocalypse Now - sorry, that came out in 1979, right? I can't believe I forgot that Ordinary people was directed by Robert Redford. That's probably my favorite best-picture winning movie. Yet again, a movie that wins best picture will also win the award for its director, right? (with exceptions, of course) I thought Full Metal Jacket was directed by Oliver Stone, so I picked that one.
Sugar Ray Leonard and Steve Carlton were also in the Ed "Too Tall Jones" episode?

Stanley Kubrick just rolled over.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

stevo4212 wrote: I liked the way that woman insisted on Apocalypse Now - sorry, that came out in 1979, right? I can't believe I forgot that Ordinary people was directed by Robert Redford. That's probably my favorite best-picture winning movie. Yet again, a movie that wins best picture will also win the award for its director, right? (with exceptions, of course) I thought Full Metal Jacket was directed by Oliver Stone, so I picked that one.
Yep, 1979 for Apocalypse plus it was directed by Coppola, and only won for Best Cinematography and Sound.

And someone...someone LIKED Ordinary People? I had to break out the Clockwork Orange Viewing Goggles to make it through that one. Also: DEATH TO PACHELBEL!

Picture+Director is the rule more than the exception, statistically. And, of course, when they DON'T match, people start wondering what sort of smack AMPAS is smoking. (See: Shakespeare in Love (P) / Saving Private Ryan, Spielberg (D). Crash (P) / Brokeback Mountain, Ang Lee (D))

At least FMJ was made in the 80s, although released a year after Platoon. (If Kubrick didn't take ages to shoot films, he likely could've beaten Stone to the punch. No way AMPAS was going to acknowledge TWO dreary Vietnam War flicks back to back...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

econgator wrote:So .... beach balls generally have 6 panels? Ok, sure ...
Depends what they are counting as colored panels - lots of them have white panels, and I have no idea if they count those. for example, one common design is three colored panels alternating with white ones. Another is one white panel plus five of other colors. In any case, there are almost always two round panels on the end (sometimes white, sometimes the same as one of the other panel colors, sometimes a contrasting color), and they forgot to count those - it should be 8, not 6.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Magna wrote:
econgator wrote:So .... beach balls generally have 6 panels? Ok, sure ...
Depends what they are counting as colored panels - lots of them have white panels, and I have no idea if they count those. for example, one common design is three colored panels alternating with white ones. Another is one white panel plus five of other colors. In any case, there are almost always two round panels on the end (sometimes white, sometimes the same as one of the other panel colors, sometimes a contrasting color), and they forgot to count those - it should be 8, not 6.
They did ask about wedge-shape panels, so those end ones wouldn't count.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Vanya wrote:Bill Gates never had an original idea in his life.
Windows > O/S
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

bpmod wrote:They did ask about wedge-shape panels, so those end ones wouldn't count.
I may have overlooked that part of the clue. Still, when I look at a beach ball like the one pictured here, which is a common design I think of only 3 colored panels:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beach_ball
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Wouldn't you know, I just logged into my online banking site and was greeted with this image:

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.