Wednesday, July 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

fowlerism
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by fowlerism »

econgator wrote:At least you did it better than Alex, who stated that 1789 + 72= 1863. Surprised they didn't edit that bit.
Strange, I heard it as 1861. Then again, Toddler Fowler was creating a stentorian scene at that moment, so my ears may have deceived me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

fowlerism wrote:
econgator wrote:At least you did it better than Alex, who stated that 1789 + 72= 1863. Surprised they didn't edit that bit.
Strange, I heard it as 1861. Then again, Toddler Fowler was creating a stentorian scene at that moment, so my ears may have deceived me.
Yeah, never mind. Seems I misheard it -- or at least closed captioning says I did.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:FJ was just a matter of doing the math, and I got to 1792+72=1864=Lincoln.
At least you did it better than Alex, who stated that 1789 + 72= 1863. Surprised they didn't edit that bit.
I just checked the playback and he said 1861.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly never made the connection of Hawaii Five-O -> 50th state until just now.
A standup comedian (can't remember which one) had a bit about that, which seemed to be the clip that was always running whenever I'd flip to The Comedy Channel in 1990. Punchline was "Freeze! New Jersey Three!"
thenextofken
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by thenextofken »

On FJ, I fumbled around for 20 seconds or so trying to do the math, then ended up going with Lincoln for no other reason than that I know he's a favorite of the writers, right up there with Nebraska. :D

Embarrassing miss of the day for me was not getting Michael Dell. You'd think that being a Texan I would remember his name. :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I tried some math on the FJ clue, starting with 1783. 17 with 55 leftover didn't even get me to Buchanan. I tried again with 1789. 11 to 1861 worked much better. Lincoln it is. Oh hey, that kind of year math sounds like something he did with the Gettysburg address. It was a 10-second solve instead of a 1-second solve, but I'm not complaining.

Dang Hammer, I only got 20 in the J! round thanks to the singleton with BK in Fast Food. Hardee's is the east coast version of Carl's Jr.? No clue here. Nice job on the competitive 22. During FJ write a response for FJ. Anything. Anyone. Your solve percentage will go up as we would love to read here about your blind guess getting lucky instead of seeing you dismiss a correct response once again.

A.J. does seem to have some game management skills that I enjoyed as well. Try to find a DD, great. Situational DD wagering even if faulty. I like it. It is interesting though that 1933 was worthy of 2000, but the Homer works only merited 400. He missed both and still was in the neighborhood of a lock. He's unlikely to make the TOC since his first name has periods in it. I took a quick look (could have missed someone) and only found one TOCer with that distinction.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Dang Hammer, I only got 20 in the J! round thanks to the singleton with BK in Fast Food. Hardee's is the east coast version of Carl's Jr.? No clue here. Nice job on the competitive 22.
I guess I just eat fast food a lot. Also, I don't think Hardee's has ever existed west of the Mississippi, except for the Upper Midwest. I know Carl's Jr. rebranded a few Hardee's around Bloomington-Normal, IL in 1997 (I saw at least one when I went to Bloomington in 2004), but I don't know if there were any other Carl's Jrseseses this far out.

My nearest Hardee's closed in 1997 and is still vacant 15 years later.

Also, this 22 tonight has me worried that I'm gonna have another game soon where I only get like, two right answers in the whole game.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
zakharov wrote:Did Alex seem to be a particularly jolly mood to anyone else?
I just want to say: I like it when Alex laughs and jokes around. Especially because when I first started paying attention to the show in the late 90s, he seemed ridiculously buttoned-down and stern. I think I first started noticing Alex loosening up around the time Ken came around — maybe Ken's wit started to rub off on Alex.

However, I might get a little concerned if Alex starts saying things like "Many moon come, that's a niner" or "Junior G-man magic carpet".

Jennings had a wit? Hmmm...
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

econgator wrote:
StevenH wrote:FJ was just a matter of doing the math, and I got to 1792+72=1864=Lincoln.
At least you did it better than Alex, who stated that 1789 + 72= 1863. Surprised they didn't edit that bit.
You sure? I heard 1861.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Johnblue wrote:TPH: that cop show is called Hawaii Five-0 for a reason.
TenPoundHammer wrote:I honestly never made the connection of Hawaii Five-O -> 50th state until just now.
You know they're two different shows, right?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

5-1-5-0, somebody call the po-po...
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Also, I can never remember whether Alaska or Hawaii is the 49th state.
How the hell is "guest host" an oxymoron?
A 'host' of a party(the one who invites the guests) can't be considered a 'guest', nor can a 'guest' be a 'host'. TV talk shows have always defied that logic.

as for Alaska and Hawaii; the cold one became a state in winter, and the hot one became a state in summer.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

Just like I never noticed that Palmolive comes from "palm" and "olive oil" (in part because I thought the syllable break was pal-molive, not palm-olive). Or that delicatessen comes from "delicat" and "essen" in German, even though I was well aware of "essen" being a German word.
Damn, dude, stop thinking...read and retain!
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

econgator wrote:
fowlerism wrote:
Yeah, never mind. Seems I misheard it -- or at least closed captioning says I did.
Maybe you had a senior moment..or a Sony(board) moment:
'I are todalee aggast that sumping I herd rong was sed on tonite's sho. I isn't NEVER watching agin nohowe!' :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Onairb wrote:as for Alaska and Hawaii; the cold one became a state in winter, and the hot one became a state in summer.
Which doesn't help, since winter is found at both ends of the year.
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Onairb wrote:as for Alaska and Hawaii; the cold one became a state in winter, and the hot one became a state in summer.
Which doesn't help, since winter is found at both ends of the year.
Only for a few days at the end of the year.
Alaska.
Cold.
Winter.
February.

Hawaii.
Hot.
Summer.
August.

Can you just 'not have your issues' and get something?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alaska and Hawaii were admitted in alphabetical order. Does that help?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Bamaman wrote:Alaska and Hawaii were admitted in alphabetical order. Does that help?
Alphabetical order? That's .... like... over twenty items! How am I supposed to memorize that many in order?
SkeeBallRaif
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SkeeBallRaif »

Paucle wrote: Alphabetical order? That's .... like... over twenty items! How am I supposed to memorize that many in order?
This joke reminds me . . . I can't tell you how many times having to have learned Ray Charles' "50 Nifty United States" (which names all the states in alpha order) in 2nd grade has paid off in Final Jeopardy clues that begin, "Name the only 2 states that . . . " etc. Makes scanning for them much easier.

In other news, I assume I'm one of the very few who screwed up this FJ. Jumped to Lincoln, which seemed about right time-wise, but in my confused haste thought, no no no, he was "four score and seven years ago." Which of course was a speech not delivered at inauguration and which referred to 1776 and not the 1789 date, duh. I tried to go back about 15 years from Lincoln and went with Fillmore (which wouldn't have even been 15 years before Lincoln anyway.) The shame . . . Should've just gone w/ Lincoln and refused to check my math.

**EDIT**: Now, I see I'm not the first to confess to the same faulty thinking . . . I feel better, or at least, less worse.

Hardee's was instant for me . . . but strangely, if they had spotted me Hardee's, I'm not sure I would've come up with Carl's Jr. As a native Marylander, I would love to see the east coast vs west coast divide on that q . . .
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

SkeeBallRaif wrote:In other news, I assume I'm one of the very few who screwed up this FJ. Jumped to Lincoln, which seemed about right time-wise, but in my confused haste thought, no no no, he was "four score and seven years ago." Which of course was a speech not delivered at inauguration and which referred to 1776 and not the 1789 date, duh. I tried to go back about 15 years from Lincoln and went with Fillmore (which wouldn't have even been 15 years before Lincoln anyway.) The shame . . . Should've just gone w/ Lincoln and refused to check my math.
Not to rub it in, but Fillmore actually didn't give an inaugural address.
SkeeBallRaif wrote:Hardee's was instant for me . . . but strangely, if they had spotted me Hardee's, I'm not sure I would've come up with Carl's Jr. As a native Marylander, I would love to see the east coast vs west coast divide on that q . . .
Since Carl's Jr is headquarted in OC, their activities are well documented in the local press. The Hardee's merger being the subject of several articles.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Wow, J! was easy for me. 22 right, even though I went 0/5 in International. (NHO Alsatian or French press, clammed on Australian rules football and White Russian, and couldn't understand the Swiss bank clue.) Clammed on Golden Gate since I would kinda expect something that had ground broken to, you know, be mostly on land.
I'm a little surprised that the Swiss bank account clue threw several folk. I thought the idea of a "numbered Swiss account" with no names attached was somewhat cliche.

My experience with bridges that don't connect to land is ... well, I don't have any. Oh, snap, this is TPH! Never mind - White Russian time.
OCSam