Friday, July 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Re: Friday, July 13, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bomtr »

stevo4212 wrote:I was waiting for a question about the Waterboy. Or, perhaps Harry's Law.

Or how about her crazy nakeddance in At Play in the Fields of the Lord? Fits with at least two of the other clues.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
goforthetie wrote:
ACW wrote:So tie for 2nd at the end of J! How's it decided who picks first for J!?
Left-most contestant, I believe.
Oooh, sorry.

From what I've learned on the board, it's the one who was behind most recently.
Nope, leftmost.
cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty »

seaborgium wrote:Another excellent 2xer goes down.
That really has been happening way too often recently. By my count, of the 24 2-time champions who have won the most money in the post-doubling era, nine are from this season (compared to just one in the past two seasons). And that doesn't even include a number of great 2xers such as Matt Douma, Katie Proctor, Jan Zasowski, and Cindy Vanderbur.
chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 »

cheezguyty wrote:
That really has been happening way too often recently. By my count, of the 24 2-time champions who have won the most money in the post-doubling era, nine are from this season (compared to just one in the past two seasons). And that doesn't even include a number of great 2xers such as Matt Douma, Katie Proctor, Jan Zasowski, and Cindy Vanderbur.
Also Chris Fleitas, who won around $80,000 in two wins before Joon beat him.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

chuck5982 wrote:
cheezguyty wrote:
Also Chris Fleitas, who won around $80,000 in two wins before Joon beat him.
That was this season!

Pretty sure he's the #1 2xer who didn't win game 3 (in the doubled era).
davey

Post by davey »

Vanya wrote:No one has a problem with "repeats... repeatedly"? Srsly?

I imagine that was to emphasize the repetition. Almost as a mnemonic to recall the aria and bring up the name.
Didn't work with this player. Those complaining have a point, I suppose, but I'd feel more sympathy if he hadn't touted his knowledge.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

trainman wrote:Forget the bullhorn. I liked this clue's layout:

OK, I'm curious. How do you get this into a JPG?
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Vanya wrote:No one has a problem with "repeats... repeatedly"? Srsly?
Which redundancy did you think I was wincing at? (Either that, or you consider me "no one".)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Bamaman wrote:I got FJ right away, but also considered Archbishop of Canterbury, I was surprised it was a sole guess, with one not even having a guess and the other a bad guess.
That was exactly my thought process; stayed with Poet Laureate (reluctantly).
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I would have prompted the "Barber of Seville" response, but not accepted it outright.

And I have seen About Schmidt but blanked on the clue. The Kathy Bates category had me waiting for a clue on Angus, but I knew that it wasn't going to happen.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Bamaman wrote:
Paucle wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:I suggest that Brian should not have been negged on the "Figaro" question. The clue referred to "this character's name" being repeated. Yes, the name is Figaro, but Figaro is the Barber of Seville, which is a correct alternate identification of the character. Yet again, the judges were surprised by a correct answer that wasn't what they had in mind, and, yet again, they fumbled it.
I'd have to see the phrasing again, but I was thinking this very thing.
Rossini's aria "Largo al factorum", repeats the name of this character repeatedly.
1. The character's name (which is what the clue specifically asks for) is Figaro; his title is "The Barber of Seville."

B. Throughout this aria the name "Figaro" is repeated about a bajillion times. His title is not.

The Incorrect ruling was completely correct.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

John Boy wrote:1. The character's name (which is what the clue specifically asks for) is Figaro; his title is "The Barber of Seville."

B. Throughout this aria the name "Figaro" is repeated about a bajillion times. His title is not.

So, "the barber of Seville" is not the character, but the character's title?

I usually don't jump in on these things, but I do not see how the character cannot be referred to by his title. The clue did not say "this name of the character", it said "the name of this character". There is no doubt that the character's name is Figaro, and that 'Figaro' is what is repeatedly repeated in the aria, but the character IS the barber of Seville.

There is lots & lots of precendent with this too. When looking for the character played by Lindsay Wagner, "the bionic woman" is just as acceptable as "Jaime Sommers", for example.

Edit: Full disclosure: I was in full agreement with the other side of this argument until I went back and re-read the wording of the clue.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:OK, I'm curious. How do you get this into a JPG?
Now, there's a technology that doesn't confuse me. Any video editor will allow you to capture a single frame as a graphic and save it in any of the common picture file types (jpg png bmp, etc.).

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Rossini's aria "Largo al factorum", repeats the name of this character repeatedly.
1. The character's name (which is what the clue specifically asks for) is Figaro; his title is "The Barber of Seville."

I'm mostly in agreement, but the clue said "this character," not "this name," and Figaro is the barber of Seville.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: 1. The character's name (which is what the clue specifically asks for) is Figaro; his title is "The Barber of Seville."
You know, we do have the exact text available...

The clue asks for "this character." The response tends to be, where 'this' is used, based on what follows the word 'this.' (See: Watson.)
Had they asked for 'this name,' there'd be no debate on the topic.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bpmod wrote:
Now, there's a technology that doesn't confuse me. Any video editor will allow you to capture a single frame as a graphic and save it in any of the common picture file types (jpg png bmp, etc.).

Brian
Yeah, but grabbing it from where? Is his DVR hooked up to his PC or what? And how? Or is he using a TV card in his PC? Inquiring minds want to know.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

alietr wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Yeah, but grabbing it from where? Is his DVR hooked up to his PC or what? And how? Or is he using a TV card in his PC? Inquiring minds want to know.
I can't speak for him, beyond assuming his setup &/or capabilities are (at least) similar to mine, but for me, all recordings go directly to my PC. I just open the file in my favourite editor and away we go!

Of course, I have also known people to take pictures of their TV screens, then go to the photo-finishing place and drop off the film, then pick up the 4x6 prints and take them home to their scanners and use their favourite photo-editing software.

Brian

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

How long before TV programs are beamed directly into our brains?
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Beyond mere semantics. For those who've actually watched the opera, you probably know that the repeating of the name is not unrelated to being barber of seville.

In fact, Figaro sings the song, himself, to brag about his skill as a barber. He's practically calling himself the "Barber of Seville."

The first few words of the aria: "Largo al factotum della cita" - Make way for the factotum of the city.

I'd say recalling all of that on the J1 stage shows some higher-order thinking. The man deserves his 5000 points and then some.
bgm
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by bgm »

Hi all! This is Brian from Friday's show. I REALLY appreciate all the spirited discussion of the DD question that I missed. In my opinion, the judges were absolutely right to rule it incorrect as the name Figaro is the centerpiece of that particular Aria (one which I studied as a music major, but, alas, never performed). And, to be completely honest, I did completely misread the question. It is a common mistake of mine and I knew as soon as I heard Alex's voice that I had successfully completed my Cliff Clavin nightmare! :-) As for making that "confident" declaration before he revealed the question... have you ever had something pour out of your mouth that you just knew you'd regret even as you said it? Yeah... not my finest hour. But it makes for a great story!

But, I certainly appreciate all the support. And I love the way everyone finds different people to root for on the show. I find myself still doing that, even though everyone on the show from this week was really fun and awesome to be around, and I promise that is not just me spouting the company line! While I was bummed for a short time right after the show, the truth is, I am not haunted by my mistakes. Truthfully, it was a couple misses on the last few clues that had a real impact on what I was able to do in FJ. My reasoning for risking it all was that it was the only thing I could do to win. Go big or go home, and I went home. The difference between 2nd and 3rd was not in my head when I made the decision. Had a complete brain freeze on who John Dryden was, and that might have clicked if I would have been able to recall that. I had a FANTASTIC time, had a once in a lifetime experience, and won $1000. Life is good!

Never underestimate that excitement and stress can have a considerable effect on how you perform on the show. I have HUGE respect for anyone who can become a one-time champion, much less a multi-day champion!

One thing that surprised me is how truly fast things go once you are on stage. It was a blur, so seeing it broadcast was a nice reminder of all the good things that I had forgotten. The bullhorn clue was even more hilarious in person. Apparently, Alex now wants one for Christmas. (Best wishes to Alex on his recovery from his heart attack!) Being on Jeopardy was one of the great experiences of my life, and I have nothing but positive things to say about it.

Although, one weird thing is the local TV station claimed that I found the experience exciting, fantastic and unique... and yet I never talked to them. Must have been a part of the generic press release the show sends out. :-)

If any of you gets the chance to audition for Jeopardy, DO IT!!!