FJs for the 7/9/12 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 7/9/12 week?

Poll ended at Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:56 pm

1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this
80%
In 1989 he said, "You can't just ask customers what they want...by the time you get it built, they'll want something new"
73%
He said, "it is 72 years since the first inauguration of a president under our national Constitution"
89%
Of the 6 official languages used at the U.N., this one is the last alphabetically
78%
This appointed position first held by John Dryden echoes a "Versificator Regis" of Richard I in the 12th century
70%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
38%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
No votes
FACTS ABOUT AUTHORS $1000: Best known for his stories about Bertie Wooster & this valet, P.G. Wodehouse was interned in Berlin for most of WWII
85%
1933 $1000: He came to the U.S. in 1933 & helped found the School of American Ballet
37%
I'M JUST SWAMPED! $400: This 700-sq.-mile Georgia-Florida swamp is a critical habitat for the Florida black bear
85%
It is Carl's Jr. in my area.
27%
It is Hardee's in my area.
42%

Total votes: 100

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 7/9/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

7/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOBEL PRIZE-WINNINGS SCIENTISTS

7/9 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
1910 winner Albrecht Kossel studied a new material in the control center of cells; today, we know it as this

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ENTREPRENEURS

7/10 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1989 he said, "You can't just ask customers what they want...by the time you get it built, they'll want something new"

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
INAUGURAL ADDRESSES

7/11 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He said, "it is 72 years since the first inauguration of a president under our national Constitution"

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE UNITED NATIONS

7/12 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 6 official languages used at the U.N., this one is the last alphabetically

7/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BRITISH HISTORY

7/13 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This appointed position first held by John Dryden echoes a "Versificator Regis" of Richard I in the 12th century

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
DNA
Steve Jobs
Lincoln
Spanish
Poet Laureate
The players were 9/13 (69.23 %) with a 1-1-3-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a triple stumper, a missed DD, and one correct by the players.

FACTS ABOUT AUTHORS $1000: Best known for his stories about Bertie Wooster & this valet, P.G. Wodehouse was interned in Berlin for most of WWII

1933 $1000: He came to the U.S. in 1933 & helped found the School of American Ballet

I'M JUST SWAMPED! $400: This 700-sq.-mile Georgia-Florida swamp is a critical habitat for the Florida black bear

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Jeeves
George Balanchine
Okefenokee
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 7/9/12 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Carl's Jr.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Carl's Jr.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
Hardee's

Losing out on the 50 50 90 guess between Vietnamese and Spanish costed me the 5/5. There were some hard boards this week but I wouldn't be surprised if this set of FJs will set a record for most 5/5s.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Discarded the correct answer on both Tuesday and Friday.

I ate at Hardee's in Paris in May. Before that, I was vaguely aware they existed, but I had never heard of Carl's Jr.

Neither is in my area.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

... :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: ...

Hardee's, though I've eaten at Carl's Jr more than a few times as well.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Donald Trump on Tuesday; the phrase "get it built" in the clue (mis)led me to real estate (plus, the late '80s were the time when he was really becoming famous). And The Donald is certainly entrepreneurial (although not so much for his RE development as for his ventures such as "The Apprentice").

For the rest, Balanchine was the type of clue that I probably would have stayed clam on if it wasn't a DD, as I didn't have an inordinate amount of confidence in WAG'ing with him.

I live in the Hardee's region, but I know very little about either chain.

ETA: It turns out I was wrong -- there are no Hardee's locations in my state. But I'm a lot closer to the nearest Hardee's than the nearest Carl's Jr.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :(

No clue on Monday, Tuesday or Friday. Spent the whole time on Wednesday doing the math only to find myself years away from Lincoln, so I put nothing down.

Also, do we have any New Englanders on the site? Because in that area, neither Carl's Jr. nor Hardee's exist.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :? :mrgreen:

Thought that "Jeeves" (given P. G. Wodehouse, or even "butler") and "Okefenokee" (given "Georgia-Florida swamp") should be instagets by the vast majority of the board; good choices for bonus questions, Mark!

Also, to heck with New England, TPH (as well as DC and New Jersey), what about us Canadians? (There *might* be one of Carls Jr/Hardee's here, but I honestly don't know, and don't want to be bothered figuring it out, as it isn't that important).

And, yes, there are some New Englanders on the site. Joon comes immediately to mind, as well as a few Maine-iacs.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dhkendall wrote:as well as a few Maine-iacs.
*starts to rage, then realizes it wasn't preceded by "Ani"*
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Had Donald Trump on Tuesday and Nureyev on the extra clue.
I have a Hardee's about 1/2 mile from me and I eat there often. I have eaten at Carl's Jr, as well (in SF and Ontario, CA).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Hardee's

Good week for me!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That was nice.
P.S. Carl's.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm thinking this is going to be the highest polling week of the season. Very high get rates on all of the questions.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

alietr wrote:I'm thinking this is going to be the highest polling week of the season. Very high get rates on all of the questions.
Am I the only 1/5er this week?
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Nureyev for Balanchine.
Technically Hardee's is closer, but neither Hardee's nor Carl's Jr. exist in New England.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
alietr wrote:I'm thinking this is going to be the highest polling week of the season. Very high get rates on all of the questions.
Am I the only 1/5er this week?
:oops: I'll make that walk of shame with you, though I'm not happy about it. I had Bill Gates on Tuesday, but sensed I was missing someone obvious. Jobs was a total head-slap upon reveal. Thursday was even worse, as I immediately wrote down Russian, then jotted down the first three letters of 8 or 9 more languages that I thought could conceivably be official U.N. languages. I determined that none of them would fall alphabetically after Russian and felt confident that it was correct, until the first player's response was revealed. I then looked back at my list and thought, "Oh yeah, I guess S does come after R". Duh.

Monday and Friday I was nowhere near the correct response, but really all 5 this week seem like clues that I may have been able to come up with at a different place, time, or mindset. I'll say that my mind was distracted all week due to working on my TD, as well as my problems connecting to the board. Either of those excuses, take your pick.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

jeff6286 wrote:I'll say that my mind was distracted all week due to working on my TD, as well as my problems connecting to the board. Either of those excuses, take your pick.
Yeah, but you won Guesstimania, so what else could possibly top that?
debramc
Iced Mare Grub

Post by debramc »

Carl's, but we used to have Hardee's. I've never eaten at either.

On the ballet one, my brain went "Balanchine! No wait, wasn't he earlier? I'll go with Nureyev." Grr. Blew my chance for a green sweep.
Here's a wiki map of the Carl's/Hardee's divide: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carls ... ations.svg
Cortana431
Valued Contributor

Post by Cortana431 »

Only missed friday's, sigh.

Are final jeopardy's supposed to be the hardest clues each game? Like harder than any $2000 clue? And what about daily doubles? Are their difficulty random? Because sometimes I see them where a $400 clue would be and other times where a $2000 clue is.