Friday, July 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, July 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6430, 2012-07-27

Last regular-play game of Season 28.

CONTESTANTS
Alison Parakh, a personal trainer from Santa Barbara, California
Jenny Healey, a public interest lawyer from Burke, Virginia
Leo Lopez, a psychiatrist from Brooklyn, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,199)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to a special show, and I'll tell you why it's special--
because whoever wins this game today gets a rest--a long rest, seven weeks--because on Monday and through all of next week,
we welcome some very bright 10-, 11-, and 12-year-olds, in our Kids Week, and that'll be followed by six weeks of three of the highlight tournaments
from this past season.

So, Leo, Jenny, and Alison, good luck. Let's go to work here.
These are the categories that await you in the Jeopardy! Round--

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE NEW YORK TIMES HISTORIC HEADLINES (4/5) (Alex: Historic headlines from the New York Times)
6-LETTER WORDS (4/5)
GO FISH (3/3)
A HAMMER FEST (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE FEMALE LEAD VOCALIST (5/5)
DEMOCRA "C" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Alison: 14 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W
Leo: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Jenny: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,800

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alison: $3,600
Leo: $1,000
Jenny: $200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Alison Parakh is a personal trainer from Santa Barbara, California, who got some help in her first marathon.
Was it legal help?

Alison: I think so, yes.

Alex: What happened?

Alison: Well, I was doing the New York City marathon, and at about mile 21, we go through Harlem.
And there was a gospel choir in front of a church, and they were singing one of my favorite Stevie Wonder songs,
and I just became uplifted, and it--they helped me push through that barrier and finish.

Alex: You went through the wall.

Alison: I did.

Alex: Good for you.

Alison: Thank you.

Alex: Did you, uh, finish in a pretty good time?

Alison: I--

Alex: this was your first marathon now.

Alison: It wasn't bad. I mean, I really had no expectations except to not walk and to finish, so I met those.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Jenny Healey is a public interest lawyer from Virginia. I want to know about your wedding ceremony.
You walked down the aisle, not to the traditional, classical piece of music, but to...

Jenny: "We Are the Champions," by Queen. My husband and I wanted to do something a little bit different.

Alex: That certainly was different.
What was the reaction, uh, from all the other people who were gathered?

Jenny: Well, you saw a lot of, you know, '70s rock fans in the audience, kind of looking around,
saying, "I know that piece. I don't kn--I can't place it," and it took them until I got all the way up
to the, uh, to where I met Steve, my husband.

Alex: "We Are the Champions."

Jenny: "We Are the Champion"--
it's amazingly beautiful on acoustic guitar.

Alex: I'm sure it is. Okay.

Alex: Leo lopez is our champion. He is a psychiatrist, ladies and gentlemen.
If you want to know how to get in trouble with your wife--his wife is a primatologist.
The two of them were visiting the zoo. Tell the folks what happened.

Leo: Um, well, I was just... I guess I'm the child in our relationship, and I was giving her
a hard time, so, um, I went up to a gorilla who was at the window at the zoo, and I stuck my tongue out,
uh, at the gorilla, um, not realizing at the time, the, uh, traumatic emotional impact that would have on the gorilla.

Alex: What did the gorilla do?

Leo: He then, uh, sprinted away under a rock, and sort of cowered there, uh, for the next five minutes,
and gave me this really guilt-inducing stare.

Alex: And what did your wife do? She's the primatologist.

Leo: I think she just, you know, shook her head, and, um, you know, said, "there he goes again."

Alex: And she wasn't referring to the gorilla.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Alison found the Daily Double on the 27th clue. Leo had $2,400, Jenny had $2,800, and Alison was at $4,600. Alison wagered $1,200.

A HAMMER FEST $1000: The Soviet constitution of 1918 said that the coat of arms should include these 2 items, handles down

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
6-LETTER WORDS $1000: Originally referring to one who fled the French Revolution, it now means any political refugee

THE NEW YORK TIMES HISTORIC HEADLINES $800: February 14, 1935: this man "guilty, sentenced to death for the murder of the LIndbergh baby"

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Alison: $5,800
Jenny: $3,400
Leo: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, July 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PATRON SAINTS (3/5)
NOVELISTS (2/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NET FLICKS (4/5)
CHECK YOUR FOOD LABEL (5/5)
CAPITAL STEPS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
"OX" MARKS THE SPOT (5/5) (Alex: Not "X" but [*]. Those 2 letters coming up.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Leo: 10 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Jenny: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Alison: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Leo snagged the next Daily Double on the 9th clue. Leo had $6,400, Jenny had $3,400, and Alison was at $6,200. Leo wagered $2,000.

NOVELISTS $1200: He was named for a distant cousin who was aboard a sloop during the 1814 bombardment of a Baltimore fort
(Alex: Distant relative of Francis Scott Key--F. Scott Key.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jenny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Leo had $8,400, Jenny had $3,800, and Alison was at $7,800. Jenny wagered $3,000.

CAPITAL STEPS $800: In 1955 it beat out Aberystwyth to become capital
(Jenny: What is Belfast?)
(Alex: No, you're in the right part of the world, but you should be in Wales, and the capital of Wales is [*].)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NOVELISTS $400: This French novelist's futuristic "Paris in the Twentieth Century", written in 1863, was found 126 years later

NOVELISTS $800: This Polish-English novelist collaborated with Ford Madox Ford on 2 novels, "The Inheritors" & "Romance"
(Alex: Polish-English--[*].)

NET FLICKS $2000: In this Hitchcock film, Robert Walker wants to swap murders with tennis pro Farley Granger

CAPITAL STEPS $2000: Until Manila took over, this city named for a Philippine president was capital
(Aliston: What is Luzon?)

NOVELISTS $2000: In 1975 3 books in his "Kent Family Chronicles" series appeared on the N.Y. Times Best-seller List, a 1st for any author
(Alex: And the author's name was [*].)

PATRON SAINTS $2000: As the first person in the New World to be canonized, she's the Patron Saint of the Americas & of Peru in particular
(Alex: And her name is [*], Lima, Peru.)

PATRON SAINTS $1600: This gospel writer is the "beloved" Patron Saint of physicians

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Leo: $13,600
Alison: $10,600
Jenny: $7,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ANTARCTICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Leo: Wager $7,600--wagering any more risks falling behind Alison's wager of $4,600.
Alison: While wagering all $10,600 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $4,600.
Jenny: Wager $7,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This country that explored the Antarctic interior is the most northerly nation to claim territory on the continent

FINAL SCORES
Jenny: $7,600 + $0 = $7,600 (What is Norway?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Alison: $10,600 + $4,601 = $15,201 (What is Norway Denm Norway) (New champion: $15,201)
Leo: $13,600 - $7,601 = $5,999 (What is Canada?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: It would have helped you a great deal if you had remembered that Amundsen was the first to reach the South Pole, and he was... uh, from where?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Leo: $12,800, 16 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Jenny: $10,600, 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Alison: $10,400, 20 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $33,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Alison: 21/59 = .356
Leo: 16/59 = .271
Jenny: 13/59 = .220
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
THE FEMALE LEAD VOCALIST $600: The Pretenders
(Leo: Who is Karen Carpenter?)

[Allison originally pronounces the last name to rhyme with "pinned"]

THE FEMALE LEAD VOCALIST $1000: 10,000 Maniacs
[Allison gets applause for running the category]

(Alex: Well done, you know your female lead vocalists!)

THE NEW YORK TIMES HISTORIC HEADLINES $400: June 29, 1914: "Heir to" this country's "throne is slain with his wife by a Bosnian youth" (leading to World War I)
(Allison: What is Yugoslavia?)
(Jenny: What is Serbia?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES HISTORIC HEADLINES $1000: A medical milestone December 4, 1967: "Heart transplant keeps man alive in" this country
(Alison: What is the United States?)

DEMOCRA "C" $600: Congress has many of these, including a "joint" one on taxation
(Alison: What is a commission?)

GO FISH $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew reads the clue in scuba gear from inside a tank in the Maui Ocean Center.) As opposed to bony fishes, sharks & rays are elasmobranchs with skeletons made up of this softer material: less is known of their evolution because they leave fewer fossils than bony fish

A HAMMER FEST $600: "Hammer &" this grasping device means with tremendous effort
[end of round signal sounds]

CHECK YOUR FOOD LABEL $2000: The FDA lists soy lecithin as this type of substance that "allows smooth mixing" & "prevents separation"
[less than a minute now]

CORRECT RESPONSES
a hammer and sickle
émigré
Bruno Richard Hauptmann
F. Scott Fitzgerald
Cardiff
Jules Verne
Joseph Conrad
Strangers on a Train
Quezon City
John Jakes
St. Rose of Lima
St. Luke
Norway
Chrissie Hynde
Natalie Merchant
Austria-Hungary
South Africa
committee
cartilage
tongs
emulsifier
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, July 27, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

I suspect there'll be less action on this thread tonight because of the NBC stations starting Olympic Coverage at 7:30EST where J! airs on the East Coast on NBC stations at that time. I suspect most NBC stations airing WOF at 7 on the East Coast are choosing to air the WOF rerun rather than the last regular game of season 28.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Jeff seems to have been pre-empted, so I'll pick up the torch for FJ today.

Final Jeopardy category: Antarctica

FJ answer: This country that explored the Antarctic interior is the most northerly nation to claim territory on the continent.
Spoiler
What is Norway? Jenny and Alison were correct. Leo said Canada.
Jenny Healy $7,600+0=$7,600

Alison Pakrh: $10,600+$4,601=$15,201 New champion

Leo Lopez: $13,600-$7,601=$5,999.
Last edited by Bamaman on Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I've played a lot of songs at weddings besides "Bridal Chorus", but never "We Are the Champions".

6-Letter for $200 was odd. I didn't realize "Wallow" was used for anything other than what pigs do.

Hammer got hammered by Hammers. Hammer & Sickle was my only get; over-thought $200 because I was trying to think of a baseball player with the initials MC; and no clue on the other 3. (Hammer and tongs? Whaaaaaaat?!)

13 right in J!, 8 right in DJ!, Coryat of $13,800. Two of my lucky number (138)? Interesting.

No guess on FJ! Even "Amundsen" didn't register anything.
legendneverdies

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Hammer got hammered by Hammers. Hammer & Sickle

Hammer and Sickle was a double stumper for a bit on Classic Concentration in 1991. The players took a picture of someone of someone being sick as someone being ill and saying "Hammer and ILL-le" Alex said to think of the Soviet Union and then one of the players got it.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Instaget on FJ; made the Amundsen connection right away.

It was nice to see that the new champion actually made an intelligent wager.

I wonder what the two clues were that got away in the fish category.

Enjoyed the shoutout to boardie Soroban! :) And after I saw that clue, I was like, "so that's what a soroban is. Now his screen name makes sense."
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

hbomb1947 wrote:I wonder what the two clues were that got away in the fish category.
Inspector Gill?
Swift'sSecondCourse
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Swift'sSecondCourse »

First half hour of the Opening Ceremonies was mostly blather, so I watched Jeopardy.

Only got FJ right because I've seen The Thing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

hbomb1947 wrote:Instaget on FJ; made the Amundsen connection right away.

It was nice to see that the new champion actually made an intelligent wager.

I wonder what the two clues were that got away in the fish category.

Enjoyed the shoutout to boardie Soroban! :) And after I saw that clue, I was like, "so that's what a soroban is. Now his screen name makes sense."
I'm only seeing one hit here (well, yours makes two) for Soroban. Hmmm, I wonder if that handle is in some other place? ;)

Bruno Hauptmann was a predictable stumper. St. Luke was not.

My precalls for the FJ category were Weddell, Ross, Scott, Amundsen and Shackleton. Switching to a country took little effort. Come on you know who at least guess a country. Any nation. Even Siberia would be better than nothing. Just pick one when you have enough knowledge to name one. So what if it's wrong. It could be right.

It's great that there are new games through so much of the summer although tonight was a little sad to know no new regular games until the middle of September. Kiddies next week has me thinking I need to study Disney shows this weekend.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I knew who killed Lindbergh, but mispronounced his name. I spent the pre-FJ break trying to spell Amundsen's name correctly in my head, I wasn't quite 100% certain of Norway, but felt good about it.

Loved the FJ bets today. The top two made the MSB and third place bet zero, but would have won on a TS.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

hbomb1947 wrote:Instaget on FJ; made the Amundsen connection right away.
I saw 'Northernmost country,' locked in Norway and then confirmed as my brain recalled Amundsen. Whatever pathway gets you to a right answer, huh?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
I'm only seeing one hit here (well, yours makes two) for Soroban. Hmmm, I wonder if that handle is in some other place? ;)
Uh, oops. :oops:

Okay, move along, nothing to see here . . . :mrgreen:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

I guess that makes two days in a row of hard bottom-row clues, especially in DJ. Is Jeopardy altering its format slightly? I suppose I should have gotten proxy though. I think I got it, just a little too late.

Instead of asking for a harder capital city, jeopardy asks for a former capital; seems a little underhanded to me.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

And the season ends with a whimper. Fairly easy questions but not too many easy answers. I can wait 6 weeks. Or is it 7?

Watching the Opening Ceremony this morning. Unimpressive.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

stevo4212 wrote:I guess that makes two days in a row of hard bottom-row clues, especially in DJ. Is Jeopardy altering its format slightly? I suppose I should have gotten proxy though. I think I got it, just a little too late.

Instead of asking for a harder capital city, jeopardy asks for a former capital; seems a little underhanded to me.

Which capital are you talking about?
alamble

Post by alamble »

Johnblue wrote:And the season ends with a whimper. Fairly easy questions but not too many easy answers. I can wait 6 weeks. Or is it 7?

Watching the Opening Ceremony this morning. Unimpressive.
Season isn't over, because Kids Week airs next week. New episodes then start airing on September 17.
legendneverdies

CyrusChan wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:I guess that makes two days in a row of hard bottom-row clues, especially in DJ. Is Jeopardy altering its format slightly? I suppose I should have gotten proxy though. I think I got it, just a little too late.

Quezon City, the former capital of the Philippines. Was a triple Stumper, someone did say Luzon and was negged, however.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I agree. Final game of the season rates a "meh." I wasn't surprised either to see Bruno Hauptman a TS (although instaget here), but I also picked up Lach Trash on Jules Verne (!?), Conrad, St. Luke, emigre, and Strangers on a Train and was surprised to see no one get any of those.

Congrats to Allison on getting to stay champ for nearly two months. Let me know how the kidlets do.

It was very good to see three very good, defensible FJ wagers. Jenny especially resisted the seemingly irresistable magnetism of "all-in-from-last-place" and would have won on a sole get or a TS. Too bad Allison rained on her parade (or since it was Norway, snowed on her parade).

I didn't stay up for the entire opening ceremony, but I see that the hosts came up with the unusual idea of having "ordinary people" lighting the cauldron, echoing the Munich games of 1972 and spoiling my precall of Daley Thompson. Did he even get to carry the torch in the stadium, I hope?
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

legendneverdies wrote:
CyrusChan wrote:

Quezon City, the former capital of the Philippines. Was a triple Stumper, someone did say Luzon and was negged, however.
Luzon can't be right because both Manila and Quezon City are on the Island of Luzon. Instead of saying Quezon , I said Quechon, haha. I must have been thinking about Quechua and murmured the wrong thing.