Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by dhkendall »

alietr wrote:Silly us. Not up on our vexillology jokes.
How many vexillologists does it take to change a lightbulb? Five: one to take down the old bulb and put the new bulb up, and four to complain that the proportions are incorrect.

(OK, I may have made that one up, but it comes from experience)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Jen Aprahamian, who appeared on the January 17, 2014 episode, tweeted her four childhood crushes:

https://twitter.com/jennifermarie/statu ... 8671632384
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
sarah0114
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by sarah0114 »

Has anyone posted about this Jeopardy! LEGO project yet? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/93621
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

sarah0114 wrote:Has anyone posted about this Jeopardy! LEGO project yet? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/93621
Batman, Yoda, and late 90s Steve Nash as the 3 contestants. I'm sold on that alone.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My state's Chief Justice is an idiot.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

A picture is worth a thousand words? A picture is worth a thousand dollars.

Spoiler for one question from the Wednesday, February 11th episode of Millionaire
Spoiler
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words? A picture is worth a thousand dollars.

Spoiler for one question from the Wednesday, February 11th episode of Millionaire
Spoiler
I can't find any evidence of any of the balls in question reaching that speed. I'm not entirely sure what the colors mean, which did they say was the correct answer?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:A picture is worth a thousand words? A picture is worth a thousand dollars.

Spoiler
I can't find any evidence of any of the balls in question reaching that speed. I'm not entirely sure what the colors mean, which did they say was the correct answer?
Green is right, orange is their guess.
Spoiler
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was watching a story about Brian Williams and they included a quote from Larry King saying Williams could be Alex's replacement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm still looking for the actual bottle of wine:
DecoyWine.jpg
DecoyWine.jpg (49.82 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

Howdy, all! I've been mostly away from the Boards for the past few months -- my assistant at work has been away on maternity leave since Hallowe'en, and I have been so busy I barely even watch J! any more, let along talk about it. But Spring Break starts today -- not for me, for the students, but it means I get a breather -- and maternity leave is over in just three weeks, so I'm hoping I can drop by more often. (It seems I missed a really apropos TD early in the year.)

In any case, today I'm just swinging by to mention that I had the pleasure of playing pub quiz (no, that's not entertainment, that's work, dammit) with longtime Boardie slam, who dropped by O'Brien's a couple of days ago when he was in town for business. (Apparently he really *was* in town for business.) I was delighted to actually meet slam in the flesh, and he added more to our team's respectable third-place showing than I did. A clever gentleman, he is -- CCs, if you're still reading these Boards, watch out for him in the next round of tryouts!

Cheers,
Rex

P.S. -- Although I suddenly just realized that, while it made perfectly good sense that I did not recognize him when he came over to join our table, why didn't he recognize me . . . ? Have I changed that much in nine years? :)
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Rex Kramer wrote: P.S. -- Although I suddenly just realized that, while it made perfectly good sense that I did not recognize him when he came over to join our table, why didn't he recognize me . . . ? Have I changed that much in nine years? :)
When I went to O'Brien's in July I said to my friend Chris on the ride home, "I thought seaborgium played here. Its too bad I missed him." Then Chris said, "He was sitting right behind you." :oops:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Another Millionaire question that had me yelling at the contestant (Christopher Keogh) today:

Even though this was taped months ago before even more recent appearances by Mo'ne Davis, what planet has he been on? Okay, fine, current events coupled with sports can escape people. Even worse in my opinion was not trusting the audience numbers. What did he want for a spread to give confidence? He spent a lot of time trying to justify the spelling bee champion as a possibility because ESPN aired the event.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

And WTH is going on with the 17% of the audience who answered D? Are they required to supply an answer even if they have no idea? Or are they purposefully trying to screw him up? I can't believe that 1/6 of the audience truly believed that she was a gymnast.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Woof wrote:And WTH is going on with the 17% of the audience who answered D? Are they required to supply an answer even if they have no idea? Or are they purposefully trying to screw him up? I can't believe that 1/6 of the audience truly believed that she was a gymnast.
They're not required, but it is expected. The thing is, gymnast isn't a bad guess for why a 13-year-old girl would be athletically noteworthy, but it is highly unlikely (and indeed, not true) that no previous female gymnasts have graced the cover of SI.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Woof wrote:And WTH is going on with the 17% of the audience who answered D? Are they required to supply an answer even if they have no idea? Or are they purposefully trying to screw him up? I can't believe that 1/6 of the audience truly believed that she was a gymnast.
They're not required, but it is expected. The thing is, gymnast isn't a bad guess for why a 13-year-old girl would be athletically noteworthy, but it is highly unlikely (and indeed, not true) that no previous female gymnasts have graced the cover of SI.
And for someone who knows nothing about sports. Were I in the audience, I would have pressed D no question. Partly due to the "13 year old girl = gymnastics" part, partly because I know I heard the name somewhat recently, and thought it was because she won a medal in the Olympics for gymnastics. I am very ready to forgive that sixth of the audience, especially since I still haven't taken the time to look up who she really is, and thus D still seems like the best answer to me.

ETA: Looked it up now. Ironically, the responses I was most sure about, in order, were D, then B, then C, then A. :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

I wish I'd had this kind of spread from the audience when I was on WWTBAM. On the question I missed, the audience split 45-45-5-5.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
And for someone who knows nothing about sports. Were I in the audience, I would have pressed D no question. Partly due to the "13 year old girl = gymnastics" part, partly because I know I heard the name somewhat recently, and thought it was because she won a medal in the Olympics for gymnastics. I am very ready to forgive that sixth of the audience, especially since I still haven't taken the time to look up who she really is, and thus D still seems like the best answer to me.

ETA: Looked it up now. Ironically, the responses I was most sure about, in order, were D, then B, then C, then A. :oops:
You (and everyone who answered D) may have overlooked that the cover in question was from August 2014, two years removed from the last Summer Olympics.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I remembered a girl pitching in the LLWS, but could not have told you her name. Still, I would have picked that over the Spelling Bee.

Gymnastics is one of the most popular events in the Olympics and there is usually one breakout star at each Olympics, so it should not be surprising that there had been female gymnasts on the cover. (Also, 2014 was not a Summer Olympics year).
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Hurry up and order--supplies are limited!

http://teespring.com/pi-day-i-was-there ... &sid=front
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.